Chapter 1

Life with 12 Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You cannot be serious.”

 

Those were the first words that came out of my mouth after my mom made the ‘big announcement’ that she’d been keeping way from me for weeks. I’ve begged and pleaded with her to tell me what it was for ages since I was practically dying with curiosity.

 

Now, I’m not so sure I wanted to know at all.

 

“Of course I’m serious, Daeshin.” My mother huffed, as though she were offended by my statement. “Why would I be anything less than serious about a matter like this?”

 

“Because you can’t!” I argued, stomping my foot angrily. “You, getting re-married? But you’re so… so… old!”

 

Lame comeback, I know. But that was the only reason I could think of at the time to protest against this ridiculous notion. I know I might sound like a terrible daughter for trying to stop my mom from being happy again since she always seemed miserable after my dad died.

 

But, come on! It’s only been a year since my dad passed away.

 

I’m not sure I’m ready for a new father figure in my life just yet…

 

“Old?! Really?!” My mom said in disbelief. “How could you even say that - I’m only 42 years old! I’m still too young to be a widow.”

 

The nerve of her! How dare she only think of herself!

 

“Is that why you’re marrying this guy?” I snorted. “So that you wouldn’t be ashamed of being widow at such a young age?”

 

“Kim Daeshin!” My mother screamed as she raised her hand, as though she wanted to slap me.

 

I closed my eyes and braced myself for the hit, but it never came. After a few moments, I finally got the courage to open my eyes… Only to see my mom, her hand frozen in the air as she looked at me with a forlorn expression.

 

I immediately felt guilty about what I said earlier but I knew I couldn’t take it back.

 

“Mom…”

 

“Just… go to your room, Daeshin.” Her hand dropped to her side almost lifelessly as she turned away from me and started towards the kitchen – her own personal haven where she retreated when she needed to calm herself down.

 

I lingered in the middle of the living room for a few more moments until I realized it was clear she wouldn’t come back out for quite a while so I did what she told me to do. I went back to my room.

 

I shut the door gently before sinking to the floor and pulling my knees to my chest as I let the guilt of hurting my mother’s feelings, yet again, sink in.

 

My relationship with my mother started to deteriorate ever since my father passed away a year back and we seemed to get more strained and distant as time goes by. I’d be too busy focusing on schoolwork to escape from the pain and she’d tried to delve deeper and deeper into her work to avoid from facing reality.

 

Essentially, we were both doing the same thing. Trying to keep our minds and bodies busy so our hearts wouldn’t notice that emptiness that was present ever since my dad drew his last breath at the hospital.

 

It wasn’t healthy, but we made it work somehow.

 

And that’s exactly what’s tearing us apart.

 

“Hey, you busy?”

 

My train of thought was suddenly interrupted by the text message I received. Surprise, surprise, it was from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter