Dyeing to Death

Dyeing to Death

Hello, everyone! This story is based on this soulmate!AU:

If you dye your hair, your soulmate’s hair color changes as well and you swear the moment you see your soulmate you will choke them because you just woke up with your hair colored like a rainbow and it’s your first job interview at a prestigious company what the .

I think it's the most perfect AU to make a story out of it because this fanfic is dedicated to two of my most cherished friends who celebrated their birthdays kinda a month ago. LOL! The soulmate!AU is for Karla because she loves everything that has something to do with soulmates and the hair dyeing thing is for Bimm because she loves dyeing her hair (and she totally rocks any color!). Karla is the fabulous author of Wicked Game (one of my favorite Minwoo fanfics) and Bimm runs this Minwoo tumblr (where I get my Minwoo gifs). This is my gift for you, my two girls! Belated happy birthday, Karla and Bimm~! Love you very much~! :*

The title big time so as the way I wrote the story. I'm sorry. I'm losing my writing skill. TT_TT Anyways, this story is also published in my LiveJournal account. Please spread the Minwoo and Winner love~! ^^

 

DYEING TO DEATH
(by kaijin-taichou)

Rating: PG or K+ (just to be safe)
Characters: WINNER
Pairing: Minwoo, MinoxJinwoo
Genre: Comedy; Crack; (sort of) Fantasy; One-shot
Summary: It could have been any day but Mino's hair suddenly changed into bright hot pink on the day of his final interview. And he hates it.

==========

"! ! ! !"

Song Mino ignored the judging stares of his fellow passengers inside the train. Not that they haven't been starting at him ever since he stepped on the train platform. Of course, everyone would stare at a tanned man wearing a suit and tie with shining black leathered shoes and whose hair was bright hot pink.

Mino thought the ball of luck was already with him when he received a call for an interview from a prestigious advertising agency after being unemployed for almost six months. He was very picky for the past four months but he needed to pay his bills and being a freelance artist wouldn't do much so he was really desperate to have this job. And on the day of his final interview, his hair turned pink. Of all the days, his hair turned pink when he would be interviewed by his potential bosses and colleagues.

"Well, you don’t need to have a jet black hair. You are an artist. Even if you dye your hair with rainbow colors, as long as your portfolio is as colorful as your hair, you will get the job," his roommate-slash-best friend Lee Seunghoon told him earlier after Mino shouted all the curses he knew upon seeing his bright hot pink dyed hair in the mirror.

"But dude, the problem is my hair is ing pink and I didn't even dye it!" Mino yelled angrily while pulling his pink hair. "And what the hell, man? Why are you taking photos of me?!"

"Oh. I've been taking photos of you since you went out of your room with that hair. Your mom already liked the photo I posted on Instagram. Such a lovely woman, your mother," Seunghoon showed his phone to him.

"Argh! Mom!" Mino reacted.

"Maybe it was a sort of revenge when you dyed your hair blond last year," Seunghoon suggested while still busy with his phone. Mino was sure that he was sending his photos to their other friends. Then Seunghoon added, "How does this dye hair thing work again?"

Although he was very pissed, Mino stood up and looked at the mirror, and tried to style his pink hair.

"It runs in the family," Mino started. "When my dad hadn't met my mom yet, my dad's hair turned to whatever color my mom put on her nails. Like my dad's hair turned green, you know, Piccolo of Dragon Ball Z green because my mom painted her nails with that color."

"And whenever any of you dyes your hair, the other one's hair color will change, too, right? It will only stop when you finally meet each other," Seunghoon replied.

"Yes. And that person is soooo dead once we meet!" Mino agreed angrily.

Seunghoon chuckled. "I was about to suggest that you go bald again but then being bald is kind of useless because..." Seunghoon didn't finish what he was saying because he started laughing out loud.

Mino rolled his eyes and tried his best not to remember that incident. They were still in college that time when Mino decided to go bald. The hair color changing was already happening that time that Mino was no longer freaking out that much.

So when this person, whom his parents call his soulmate, decided to dye his hair beige, the little hair on Mino's head turned beige as well. Mino was pleased because it looked good on him but what he didn't expect was the color change of some other hair in Mino's body parts. And when he said body parts, Mino meant his most private body part.

"Did you check if—"

"Natural color. Thanks for asking, man," Mino answered quickly with sarcasm on his voice.

==========

Mino's prayer while he was waiting for his turn to be interviewed was for him to get the job and for his hair to be left unnoticed. The prayer about his hair was obviously unanswered, though. His hair was screaming pink and the people his hair was screaming at were screaming back at him through curious looks, grins, and whispers.

"It seems like pink is the trending hair color," Mino heard a male employee whisper to his colleague.

"Someone from the human resources would love to meet him," the female employee giggled. Mino gulped when he heard human resources and he wasn't sure if the lady was being sarcastic with her comment.

"Mr. Song?" the receptionist called him. Mino gathered his bag and folders as the receptionist told him that he could go inside the room.

Inside the room was a long brown table with two conference phones. Mino bowed and greeted the three men inside the room. Before Mino could hear the other guy say "Please have a seat," he first heard a comment.

"Oh, pink!"

Mino looked at the guy who commented it but his gaze went to the third person in the room. He was also looking at him, intrigued. Then he looked at Mino's hair. Mino did the same and looked at the guy's hair, too, whose hair color was curiously pink as well. Same shade. Same ing color. Pink.

Fortunately, pink suited this guy and Mino thought any color would suit him. Mino was stopping himself from telling the guy his unnecessary opinion.

"Hi... uhm…" the pink-haired guy paused and looked at a paper which Mino knew was his resume. "…Mr. Song Mino," the guy smiled.

Seeing the guy's smile made Mino smile automatically but he felt his heart pound faster. He knew he was nervous but he wasn't that nervous enough to make his heart pound hard and fast.

"Hello," Mino replied, surprised that he was shy. The chuckles that the other two guys let out weren't left unnoticed by Mino.

"Please have a seat," the guy with droopy eyebrows instructed him kindly. "I'm Nam Taehyun, I am from the marketing department. This guy in the middle is one of our art directors, Kang Seungyoon. If you're lucky to pass this final interview, you will be working with him. And that means you're no longer lucky." Mino smiled when the guy who would be his fellow art director told the talking guy to shut up.

"And that guy is Kim Jinwoo, our human resources manager. He likes to break company rules and policies like dyeing his hair pink," Taehyun introduced.

"I'll dye my hair black again tomorrow," the guy from the HR department named Jinwoo defended. The more Mino looked at him, the more he was fascinated by his beauty.

"We are really impressed by your resume and most especially by your portfolios but to be honest, we didn't quite expect this hair style," Seungyoon commented.

"Well, I didn't quite expect the change as well," Mino answered in almost a whisper but evidently annoyed. His answers were responded with laughs.

"Did someone prank you so you won't be able to get this job?" Seungyoon asked.

"Your girlfriend, perhaps? Maybe she wants more time from you," Taehyun teased.

Mino smiled. "No, it's not my girlfriend. I don't have one."

"Oh, good for you," Seungyoon reacted but he wasn't looking at Mino. He noticed that the guy was looking at his left, at Jinwoo. Taehyun grinned but Jinwoo didn't notice anything as his eyes were fixed at Mino and his hair.

"Funny how we have the same shade," Jinwoo told him.

"Why did you dye your hair again, Jinwoo?" Seungyoon asked his seatmate.

"It's for the twins. School project," Jinwoo answered.

Twins? Oh. He has children? Is he married? Mino looked at Jinwoo's fingers to look for a wedding ring but didn't find any.

"The twins are his nephews, don't worry," Taehyun told him, with the same grin he had when Seungyoon teased Jinwoo a while ago. And now, Seungyoon was also wearing the same grin. Mino blushed and just smiled shyly. He looked at Jinwoo but the guy in question was oblivious of the teasing that was happening around him.

"I'm really sorry if our questions are not related to the position you are applying for but we will soon get there. But why pink? It's allowed in this company to dye your hair of any color you want but I think you are not the type who will wear this color," Jinwoo asked him.

"Well, as I've mentioned, I didn't dye my hair. I just woke up and this happened," Mino paused and thought if he should mention that soulmate thing that was related to his hair. It seemed like the three guys were not satisfied with his answer and were still waiting for more.

"Uhm, you see, I don't know if you will believe this but…" Mino hesitated.

"But your hair's color changes on its own?" Seungyoon laughed.

"Uhm, yeah," Mino answered. It earned him ohhhs from Taehyun and Seungyoon while Jinwoo's face suddenly became unreadable. It made Mino nervous all of a sudden. Did this guy from the human resources think he was lying?

If telling them his ridiculous hair dyeing supernatural power thing would impress at least two of the interviewers, Mino would tell them about it. He wasn't even keeping it a secret in the first place. Scratching his nape, he cleared his throat and began his story with, "Well, my parents believe that it's a soulmate thing. I hope you will still hire me after hearing my story but my hair color changes suddenly when this so-called soulmate of mine dyes their hair and vice-versa."

He received positive nods from Seungyoon and Taehyun. Jinwoo, on the other hand, just stared at him. Mino wasn't sure if the pink-haired guy believed him.

"So, your soulmate…" Seungyoon made air quotes as he said soulmate. "…dyed their hair pink, is that correct?"

Mino grimaced. "Yes, something like that. And that person is soooo ing dead once we meet."

The interviewee looked around and found two pairs of amused eyes accompanied by devil-like grins and a scared pair of eyes with slightly quivering lips.

. He told himself. Then he laughed nervously. Goodbye, job!

"When did you discover this?" Seungyoon asked, as though the tanned guy didn't say something like threatening someone he hasn't met yet. Mino sighed in relief then answered him that it happened when he was in middle school. He thought that the two guys were too interested with his revelation. They were listening with anticipation.

However, he wasn't getting the same reaction from the guy he hoped would be at least a little interested. Jinwoo was just staring blankly at him. Of course, Mino didn't expect him to react after what he said a while ago. After seeing how scared Jinwoo was, as though he was a deer trapped by a hunter.

"What was the color when this hair dyeing event first happened?" Taehyun asked, too curiously, in Mino's opinion. Seungyoon's excitement made his opinion firm. At some point, Mino got scared of the two. They were beyond weird. Weirder than his hair color changing sort-of power. They were as weird as Seunghoon.

"Burgundy brown," Mino answered but upon answering, he looked immediately at the guy who wasn't talking too much and shared the same hair color with him.

Jinwoo answered, too. And he was right. Both of them said burgundy brown at the same time.

"H-How did you know?" Mino asked.

"Well, Mino. It's funny because the first color Jinwoo tried on his hair was burgundy brown," Seungyoon replied instead.

"By any chance, did you dye your hair blond last year? At around fall? September? October, maybe?" Taehyun asked him.

Looking curiously at Taehyun, Mino nodded.

Before Mino could elaborate his answer, he heard Seungyoon talk. "Hey, Jinwoo. Your hair changed into blond at around that time too, right?" Mino didn't miss that grin on the guy's face.

However, Mino realized what Seungyoon had said. Jinwoo's hair changed into blond last year… changed into blond.

Then the realization hit him. The reason why Jinwoo was quietly staring at him. The reason why he knew the color of his hair when this hair dyeing phenomenon happened. The reason why Mino's hair is currently bright hot pink.

"It seems like we need to attend someone's funeral today. Because you are sooooo ing dead, Jinwoo," Seungyoon laughed, imitating how Mino said those words a while ago.

Mino and Jinwoo looked at each other. The look eventually turned into a staring battle.

"I'm sorry!" Mino and Jinwoo said in unison as they stood up and bowed.

"I… I didn't mean to say that! It's just… it's my final interview and you… you dyed your hair and of all colors, it had to be pink. But I am happy that I finally met you."

"My nephews need it for their school project and they will cry if I didn't dye my hair. I will hire you if it's the only way to forgive me."

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

"What?"

Everyone looked at each other. Then an eerie silence wrapped the room.

"So is he hired, Mr. HR Manager?" Taehyun grinned. "I don't have any objections."

"Oh. But I object," Seungyoon replied. Mino, who actually felt overwhelming happiness in his chest because first he thought he got the job and second he finally met his soulmate and was actually satisfied with how he looked like, even though he was a guy, looked at the art director and gulped nervously.

"I think we have this company rule about office romances, Kim Jinwoo," Seungyoon said in a teasing way.

Mino suddenly felt hot especially around his cheeks. He knew his face was red. He tried to look at Jinwoo. However, he was surprised when Jinwoo gave Seungyoon a smirk. A smug look, Mino corrected himself.

"Oh, Kang Seungyoon. As what Taehyun mentioned earlier, I break company rules," Jinwoo said, which made Mino shiver. His voice was confident and seductive. Then Jinwoo looked at him and smiled brightly.

Mino grinned, feeling grateful to the universe for making Jinwoo his soulmate.

==========

The urge to scream as loud as he could was very tempting but it was his first day in the office and Mino would want at least some decent first impression. He was standing at the bullpen as Seungyoon introduced him to his team of four as their new art director.

Seungyoon was trying to suppress his giggling but not actually trying that hard. Jinwoo, on the other hand, was smiling at him. A kind and apologetic smile.

Mino signed his job offer the day after the final interview and was told that he would start after a week.

He spent his weekend with Jinwoo before his job started. It wasn't a date, Mino told himself over and over again. But more of getting to know the company that hired him. And more of getting to know Jinwoo. And more of getting to know his future colleague.

More of getting to know his soulmate.

It seemed like the project of Jinwoo's nephews wasn't done yet so they were two pink-haired guys, laughing and having fun at a restaurant last weekend.

However, he wasn't informed that Jinwoo dyed his hair black last night and Mino's bright hot pink hair stood out, earning him curious glances from his team. He blamed himself for not immediately dyeing his hair black after his final interview.

But this misfortunate event confirmed that Mino has indeed found his soulmate. That Jinwoo was undeniably his soulmate.

xxx