Frost Flowers

Summer Solstice

Jessica reads the letter.

"Andwe!", she cried out. 

"Is there a problem?", Donghae came rushing in to her.

"Soo Jungah", Jessica's face is filled with worries.

 

Jessica's plan is to bring Krystal to Mokpo with her. However the letter she received from Angela makes her come rushing back to Seoul.

Krystal has been sent by King Heechul to Incheon. The King of Incheon, King Onew and King Heechul have been in throats with each other. Heechul sending Krystal to Incheon is like a peace treaty to King Onew and a punishment to Jessica. Heechul is hitting two birds in one stone.

 

I did not think you would reach to this level, oppa, Jessica said to herself. They are riding a carriage and is on the way back to Seoul.

Krystal is just thirteen, and you sent her out of the country, Jessica looks out to the window.

How could you do this, oppa?

"It will be alright, Sica", Donghae taps her hand. He is going with Jessica back to Seoul.

As your husband, I will be with you, he said to himself. He had already written a letter to his cousin, Prince Minho of Incheon. Prince Minho was supposed to be the King of Incheon after his father died, but his older cousin Onew took the throne instead of him. Things had turned out that way. 

Minhoyah, please watch over my wife's sister, Soo Jung. I am asking this as a favor, he had said in his letter to Minho.

 Jessica looks at Donghae.

"I don't know, Donghaessi", she tries not to cry. 

"Gwaenchanha", Donghae said and moves her head to his shoulder.

"We'll find a way to have Soo Jung back", he said to her.

 Jessica relaxes her head on his shoulder.

"Kamsahamnida", she whispered.

 

Jessica fall asleep on the way. She hadn't slept the night after receiving the letter. Donghae moved over so Jessica can lay comfortably on the carriage with her head on his lap.


Donghae stares at Jessica. Even in her sleep, her face is distraut.

He smoothens the wrinkling of her forehead and caress her hair.

Don't think about anything. Don't even dream yet for now. Just take a rest, Donghae said in his thought.

 

Donghae remembers what happened at the forest. He was even surprise at himself. He just suddenly kiss her on her forehead without him thinking about it.

As he thinks about it now, it was an impulse action and he isn't that type of person to just do things without giving it a thought.

But he doesn't have any regrets doing it.

They spend a couple of minutes more inside the forest as they sat with their back together.

"Can I ask a question?", Jessica said, still holding the magnolia flower.

"Go on", Donghae replied.

"Who is Sunyessi?", Jessica asked. Jessica could feel him breathing deeply.

"Sunyessi..", Donghae replied. 

"She was someone I cherished a lot", he said. 

"And?", she asked to continue.

"And?", he asked back.

"Do you regret getting married with me?", she asked directly.

"Aigoo. Do you have to be this straight forward always?", he asked. Jessica pouts, then she hears him chuckle.

You're such an amusing princess, Hae said to himself.

"Why do you asked that? Have I somehow make you feel that it's a pity having you as my wife?", Donghae asked back.

"Ani (No). You treat me so well, that I sometimes feel I shouldn't have married you", she replied.

You make me feel protected, she thought to herself.

"Are you saying I'm too good for you?", Hae asked.

"Just answer my question", Jessica said.

"Obseo (None). I have no regrets as your husband", Donghae replied.

"That was a question too early to have asked", Jessica said. 

"Are you expecting a different answer?", Donghae asked her back.

"Sunyessi. She's an important woman in my past", he added.

"Tyler. He's important to me", Jessica said.

"But we ended before we can even start", she said.

I loved him, she said in her mind.

Sunyessi, she is my special someone, Donghae said in his thought.

They became silent. While they are nursing the wound in their own hearts, could they bring healing to each other's hearts?

 

They arrived at Seoul Palace after a few days of travel. As expected, the King is not around to welcome them.

Jessica calls everyone at the Palace and introduced Donghae.

"Give your utmost respect to Prince Donghae of Mokpo", Jessica said. Her words in authority and she looks cold while giving her orders. Everyone bowed to Donghae. 

Donghae smiled at them then looks at Jessica. They met each other's eyes.

"Kamsahamnida", he said and smiled at her. Jessica nods and a smile painted on the corner of her lips.

She then dismissed everyone and asked for Angela to stay.

"Angela unnie", Jessica immediately hugs her.

"Princess", Angela hugs her back.

 

Donghae excused himself to give them time to talk.

He walk around the palace to the library. He'll just grab a book to spend his time in Seoul.

He is checking through the book shelves but his attetion shifted to the paintings hanged on the wall.

Looks like me, he thought to himself.

It is me, he realized.

On the many paintings on the wall are royal families who visited the Seoul Palace. Donghae sees his family together with the Jung family.

He checks the painting and sees himself holding hands with a little girl who's looking up at him.

"Sica?", he asked himself and smiled. 

Neomu kyeopta (Very cute), he thought to himself.

"I didn't know we came here when I was so young", he said to himself.

"Your Highness", Kim Jo Han, Jessica's teacher and King John's friend came by and saw the prince.

From his clothing, Donghae knows he is not a servant. They gave introduction and talked briefly.

"This painting. Where you already in the palace when this was taken?", he asked him.

"Yes and I've got to meet your father. It was an honor to meet King Lenard. The two families have good relationship. Your marriage with the princess strengthens that bond", the teacher said.

"The strings of fate  has come to completion with your wedding. You and the young princess were inseparable back then", Jo Han said.

We were?, Donghae asked himself. 

"I will not keep you long Your Majesty. Would there be anything I could help you with?", Jo Han asked.

"Obseoyo, (None), soensaengnim (teacher)", Hae replied.

 

Donghae remembers a little girl who keep calling him 'Oppa'.

"I see. So, that was you", Donghae said while looking at Jessica's face in the painting.

He smiled to himself.

 

Princess Jessica walks as fast as she can to meet Heechul. Donghae is trailing behind her.

"King Heechul", she bows in the King's presence.

Heechul smiled to see the princess.

"You're back from your- elopement", the King said.

"Bring back Princess Soo Jung to Seoul", Jessica said. Her gaze is intent and is directed to the King.

"I cannot do that, Princess Jessica", Heechul replied.

"You had her out of the country because of me", she said.

"I am here now. Take her out of Incheon, Your Majesty", Jessica gritted through her teeth.

"And I see you brought your husband with you", the King acknowledge Donghae's presence.

"Welcome to Seoul, Prince Donghae", he said. 

"King Heechul", Donghae said. 

"It is not my decision", Heechul turned to face Jessica.

"Princess Soo Jung's coming back here, is already in King Onew's hand", the King said. 

"Princess Jessica, Soo Jung will be taken cared of in Incheon. You left her here, I couldn't have taken cared of her", the King added.

"You should have just go through with Jaejoong's wedding".

You're doing this to punish me, Jessica's hands curled in a fist. Donghae touched her arm to stop her.

"Your Majesty, may I speak with you?", Donghae asked.

Then Donghae looks at her. His eyes warning her not to speak anything she might regret later on. 

"Soo Jung will come back here", Jessica said and turned around to leave.

 

At the corridor, Jessica is still fuming with anger and she did not pay attention to Captain General Tyler who greeted her. She did not see nor hear him.

Tyler did not followed her but instead continued to the King's chamber where he waited to be invited in. Prince Donghae came out from the room and met Tyler's gaze. Both pretended not to know each other, as far as the King knows, Tyler did not help Jessica with her wedding to Donghae.

 

The royal family dine together with some of the Captain Generals who have been invited by the King. Princess Jessica seated between Prince Donghae and Tyler.

"Your favorite food", Tyler said and offered her the Tteukbokki. Donghae also offered her another dish.

"She's allergic to cucumbers", Tyler said to Donghae. Donghae then placed down the dish.

"Kamsahamnida", Jessica thanked Tyler.

Prince Donghae's face turned gloomy.

When the servant came to pour wine, Donghae immediately grabbed Jessica's wine glass, however Tyler's hand is on Jessica's wine glass as well.

"What are you doing?", Donghae asked discreetly so as not to be heard by others.

"I would like to serve the princess with her drink", Tyler responded calmly.

"I will do it", Donghae said. The two men measured each other's gaze.

"Let me do it, Your Majesty", Tyler insisted.

"I- I am the Princess' husband", Donghae replied with that fierce look in his eyes. Tyler was not able to respond. Jessica turned silent and could sense the tension in the air. The people in the dining area shifted their attention to them.

"Stop it, you two", Jessica hissed.

"Very well, Prince Donghae", Tyler let go of the wine glass.

Jessica sighs in relief.

The dinner ended without any physical fight. However, it was an awkward dinner, and Jessica felt she cannot digest what she had just eaten.

 

"Can you tell me what had just happened there?", Jessica asked Donghae when they are already alone in her room. 

"What is mine is mine. I don't and never intended to share", Donghae replied. 

"What?", Jessica asked.

"He knows you very well", Donghae said.

While I don't even know you have food allergies, he added in his mind.

Are you jealous?, Jessica asked in her mind.

The thought makes her heart jumps. She smiles inwardly. After seeing Tyler again, she is certain she doesn't have any special feelings for him anymore.

She stares at Donghae.

I never thought I could forget my feelings for him that fast, you made me waiver so easily, she said in her mind.

Donghae took a deep breath and speak calmy.

"Don't have dinner alone with him. Don't let him serve you with food again. Don't let any other man touch your hand", Hae said.

"And don't smile beautifully to them, just keep it in. Ara?", Donghae asked.

Jessica should feel furious. Donghae is ordering her not to do things. But Jessica smiles to herself.

"Arasseo, oppa", Jessica replied. Donghae is surprised to hear that from her.

"Yaksuk (Promise)", Jessica shows her pinky finger and smile.

Donghae's facial reaction relaxes and did the pinky promise.

"Kkukjung hajima (Don't worry). I'll make myself less beautiful in front of others", she said and smile.

"I'll say again, never smile like that to others", Donghae said and poke her nose then smiled at her.

They just stared at each other's eyes and time seemed to froze. Donghae leans his face close to her.

A knock came on the door, and they immediately took a step away from each other. 

"Prince Donghae", Angela called from outside the door.

"Come in", Hae said, and Angela came bringing a painting with her.

"Place that there", Donghae said and dismissed her.

"Thank you", Donghae added.

 

"I will be going back to Mokpo very soon", Donghae said after a few minutes. Jessica is surprised to hear that.

"When?", she asked. 

Donghae went to the dressing room to change and she followed him.

"So soon?", she asked again while staying at the door.

"I am changing my clothes", Donghae said but Jessica is still staying at the door. 

"Princess", Donghae called her attention.

"Do you want to see me undress?", Donghae asked. Jessica's face flushed with red and immediately turned her back.

Donghae chuckled.

"I know you need to be back at Mokpo", Jessica said. 

"Ka-yo (Go). I won't hold you for long", she said and walked away.

Jessica goes to the balcony for a fresh air.

She is staring at her wedding ring. 

It's been a month since I got reinstated as the second in line to the throne. Been almost two weeks that I've married. And now I don't have Soo Jung, memories flashed in her mind. And Donghaessi will leave.

Jessica sighs and got lost in her thoughts.

"Sica. Look here", Donghae called from behind. She got distracted even from his voice. She turned around and sees the painting Donghae is holding. She had seen that painting in the library. It is her when she was still a toddler holding the hand of a little boy a few years older than her. 

"We don't have any wedding painting here. This should do for now", he said.

Then it sank on her.

"Are you that little boy?", she asked in disbelief and walks towards him. 

"Neoreul neomu kyeowo (You are very cute)!", Jessica said staring at the painting then she smiled at him.

"And I still have that hair pin", she points to the pin and her mother told her it's the little boy who gave it to her. She had asked her mother regarding the boy but she had just forgotten about it.

Jessica rushes to check her jewelry case and showed the pin to him.

"Here it is!", she showed it to him. That's when she realized the pin is engraved with magnolia flower design.

Donghae checks the pin. He remembers it now. He asked one of his mother's pin and  placed it on Jessica's hair. 

He then looks at her.

"Let me place the pin to your hair", Donghae said. Jessica nods and moves closer to him. 

Donghae faces Jessica and attached the pin to her hair. 

Jessica looks up and realizes that Donghae's face is just an inch away from her. 

Her heart is beating so fast, and she knows her face is blushing already. She did not look away but just took the time to have a closer look at his eyes, then his nose, then his lips. 

Donghae finished placing the pin and tucks a strand of her behind her ears.

You're so beautiful, Donghae thought to himself as they look at each other in the eyes. 

Like an invisible force that pulls him to her, he slowly leans down his face to her while Jessica closes her eyes. Donghae kiss her on her lips softly. 

Soo Yeon, Donghae says her name in his mind. His hands move to support her back.

You are driving me insane.