White Magnolia

Summer Solstice

Jessica had written her third letter to Krystal. She hasn't received any reply yet and she's not feeling good about it. After handling the letter to Hangeng, Jessica came to the training ground where Donghae is. She's been followed by her court ladies.

"You can go back to the palace", Jessica tells Jung Young, the lady in charge of the court ladies. 

"But princess, we are not to leave your back", she answered. Jessica smiled.

"I am alright. I'm with the Prince", Jessica answered. Jung Young just wants to do her task.

"Or can you just wait here at the entrance?", Jessica asked. 

Jessica entered the training ground and looks for Donghae.

 

"Let's start again", Donghae said.

"Lee Donghae imnida. Pangapsseumnida (I am Lee Donghae. It's nice to meet you)", he bowed. Jessica looks at him.

Let's start anew, she said in her mind.

"Jung Soo Yeon imnida. Pangapsseumnida(I am Jung Soo Yeon. It's nice to meet you), she answered and did a curtsy.

"Rain", Donghae said to which Jessica looks outside too. 

"How would you like to spend the day tomorrow?", Donghae then ask. 

Plans for tomorrow?, Jessica asks herself.

"With me", he added.

Like a date.

  

"Yah!", Jessica called out in an informal tone. 

"We?", he asked.

"You are disturbing my training", Donghae replied and pretends to focus in his archery.

Jessica came closer and hit him on the shoulder.

"Why? Am I a nuisance?", she asked.

"Heol. You're back to being your violent self!", Donghae exclaimed, and Jessica hit him multiple times and Donghae acts as if he's terrified.

"Because you said I'm a nuisance", Jessica smirks and turns around. Donghae caught her hand before she could walk away. 

"Do you want to try archery?", he asked. Jessica thought it's an interesting thing to learn.

 

 Jessica positioned the bow and arrow. 

"Aniya", Donghae corrected Jessica's position. He stands at her back and his arms around her.

You're beating fast again, Jessica talked to her heart. She's brought back to the yesterday's incident when she woke up in his arms.

Just be calm, she said to herself.

"You do it like this", Donghae holds her hand and released the arrow. But it did not hit the target.

Jessica laughs out loud, while Donghae is quite shocked and ashamed for it.

"You're not a good teacher", Jessica complained and tried to shoot again an arrow by herself. It landed near the center point.

Jessica smiles in happiness.

"I hit it!", she said while Donghae still can't believe how he missed the target earlier when he's teaching her.

"It doesn't make sense", he shakes his head.

"That's fine, Donghaessi. I'll make some snacks. I'll be back", she said and waved good bye.

 

Let's start again. Let's start anew. 

Somewhere between the lines, it's says, let's give each other the chance to make this marriage work. 

Love conquers all, Donghae remembers what Jongki ajhussi said. 

Can I make myself fall in love with her?, he asks himself.

Is there any arrow in his heart that he can manipulate  so he could love her? 

She is beautiful, kkeunde, can I tell my heart who to love?, he asks himself. 

 

Jessica made some tuna sandwich in the kitchen. The kitchen staff will not allow her, so after asking permission from the Queen, they finally let her in the kitchen.   

Jessica knew a few dishes when she was at Cheongdam. After making sandwiches, she brought them to Donghae who is still at the training ground.

"Oette (How is it)?", Jessica ask as Donghae took a bite.

His face immediately turned violet.

"We? Is it bad?", Jessica asked and is about to taste the food. He immediately removes the sandwich from her hand and eat it.

He shakes his head and smiled. To spare her feelings, when in fact the sandwhich is very salty. 

Jessica then burst out laughing.

"Mianhe", Jessica is holding her stomach from too much laughing. 

"This one is not salty", she handed him another sandwich. She made some salty ones and good ones. The mischievous princess!

What? Did I just got fooled?, Donghae sees Jessica is still laughing and tears spilling her eyes.

"Lee-Jung Soo Yeon", Donghae looks at her with a threatening gaze.

It's the first time Jessica heard him calling her that.

Lee-Jung Soo Yeon, she said to herself and got disctracted because Donghae is coming after her with a deadly gaze.

Jessica started to ran away.

"Mianhe", Jessica said.

"You dare played a prank on me", Donghae said while running after her.

"Mian", Jessica said again but she can't help smiling.

 "You know you have consequence for this, right?", Donghae asked who is a few feet away from her. 

"No! Mianhe", Jessica replied, and continues to run away.

 

They continued to spend their day together with Hangeng and Kibum. They went to the central place in disguise. Donghae showed Jessica around and they went to several shops and Donghae bought her a beautiful bracelet with star and cube design. 

Aside from giving a tour to Jessica, Donghae is doing some investigations. He heard report of nobles and ministers who are doing illegal transactions in collecting taxes thereby making the people suffer. 

"Do you want to be the King, or because it's a destiny you have from your birth?", Jessica asked him. 

"Well...", Donghae ponders to find the right words.

"It's not like we can choose the family to whom we are born with. But I do want to serve my people, to place my people's interest before my own. It's the responsibility we are born with", Donghae replied. 

Jessica smiled then she remembered.

To place my people's interest before my own, the same exact words she vowed to her father. She stares at Donghae. 

He has such gentle eyes, she noticed for the first time and her heart starts to beat faster again. 

 

That afternoon, the Queen went to Jessica and Donghae's room. She wants to speak with the princess. For Jessica, the Queen reminds her so much of her own mother, warm, beautiful and smart. 

The Queen asked how she's adjusting to her stay in Mokpo, and Jessica likes it there.

"After my parents died, Soo Jung had been my home. And here in Mokpo, I also feel that way", Jessica answered.

"Thank you, Your Majesty for your favor", she added. 

Queen Lena takes her hand.

"I am so glad you feel that way. Mokpo is your home and as my son's wife, you are my daughter now", the Queen said.

"I know no one can replace your parents, but I hope you would find me as a second mother", Queen Lena added. Jessica smiled widely.

"This is a gift given by Leonard's mother when I got married to him", Queen Lena took out a box and showed a diamond necklace.

"I want to give it to you, my daughter", she said.

Jessica is touched by the Queen's gesture. 

"Kamsahamnida, eomeoni", Jessica answered with tears in her eyes. 

She feels so happy that she is receiving this love from Donghae's family. 

"I had someone I loved before I married the King", Queen Lena confess. Though arranged marriage is not foreign to Jessica, she is still surprised to know. When she looks at Donghae's parents,there's certainly the love and devotion between them. 

"I had always thought you both married because of love, like my parents", Jessica answered.

"I always see the sparkle in your eyes when you look at him, and abeoji also looks at you that way", Jessica added.

The Queen chuckles. 

"That wasn't exactly how it was during our first year in marriage", the Queen responded. 

"In the most unexpected way, love found us when we almost gave up with each other", she added.

The Queen takes Jessica's hand again. 

"As a Queen, I ask this favor. Please , do not leave the prince".

"As a mother, I ask you to please stay by my son's side", the Queen squeezed her hand.

I had vowed in marriage that only death can separate us.

"Algesseumnida, eomeoni", Jessica replied. 

 

"i want to take you somewhere", Donghae said while holding Jessica's hand. 

"Where?", Jessica asked as Donghae helped her mount the horse.

"You'll see when we get there", he replied. 

Jessica is aware of how close they are. Her back leaning on Donghae's chest. She could feel his steady heartbeat. She tried to distract herself by looking to where they are heading, and they are going to the forest.

"The forest?", Jessica exclaimed.

"Neh", he answered and they made they way to the forest.

 Donghae mentions to her the Gleam which is the entrance, next is the Dim, then to their left is the Eye.

"I never stopped coming here even after the incident", Donghae said.

Jessica realized this a world Donghae is introducing to her. His place of solace and Jessica smiled brightly knowing that he is sharing this to her.

"How do you feel coming here again?", he asked her. 

Her experience in the forest as a kid has not been the best experience. But she did not have any nightmares of it. She, prince Minho and Prince Donghae had faced danger together and it's probably one of the reasons why she trusts Donghae.

 "Am not scared", she answered.

"I am glad you've brought me here".

"So beautiful!", Jessica scanned the Eye. The clearing inside the forest where the sun's light can pass through. It's full of colorful flowers and on the far end is a tree glowing in white with it's flowers.

Donghae unmounts the horse and helped Jessica down. She lost her balance and he immediately caught her in his arms.

"Caught you", Donghae said.

His arms around her and she her hands on his chest. They looked at each other in the eyes.

Time seemed to stand still.

It's so easy to like him, Jessica said to herself.

His face is just a few inches from her. 

Then Donghae placed Jessica on her feet. His cheeks turn red.

"Komawo", she thanked him. Her face blushes. 

 

"Wow!", Jessica can't find the words and everything around her are flowers.

"Donghaessi", she looked at him. Her eyes are twinkling with wonders.

"Try to call me oppa", Donghae suggested.

"What are you saying?", Jessica walked around the Eye.

"I'm older than you but you never once called me 'oppa'", he said following behind her.

I did, but not aloud, she said in her mind.

 

In front of her is a very tall tree but it's flowers are big and white. A branch is hanging low and she tiptoed to picked one flower.

"Jessicassi is like the White Magnolia", Donghae said from behind. Jessica continues to reach out for one flower.

"Magnolia symbolizes strength. These trees can grow for centuries and had been on Earth for millions of years already", he added. 

"It signifies endurance and nobility", he further explained. Jessica turned to face Donghae.

"For you", Donghae held out his hand with a White Magnolia flower.

You are worthy of a White Magnolia.

Jessica looks at the flower Donghae is holding, then looks back at him. He is smiling and looks ethereal. 

I do not know where my heart will lead me to. But right now, as with these past few days, it's been wavering and leaning towards you, Jessica thought to herself. 

I like you, oppa. My heart is telling me so. It beats fast whenever you're near. Back at the Millenial Celebration of Seoul, must be there that I started liking you. 

Jessica receives the flower while Donghae takes a step closer to her. 

"Kamhasamnida, Donghae oppa", Jessica said and smiled. 

Oppa, he heard her clearly and he smiled. His heart is beating fast in his chest. 

She called him oppa and he is so happy for it.

He takes another step to fill in the gap between them. They looked at each other in the eyes, and as he leans his face closer to hers, Jessica close her eyes. 

He kissed her in the forehead. 

"I am your oppa and I am here always to protect you", Donghae said.

Jessica tiptoed and kiss him on the cheek. Donghae is surprised.

"The flower is beautiful", Jessica said and smelled the white magnolia.

Donghae can't help but smile.

I'm glad you like it, he said to himself.

Jessica looks back at him and they smiled at each other. 

You are as beautiful as the magnolia flower. 

 

A letter has finally arrived to the palace for Princess Jessica. It's not from Krystal but from Angela, Jessica's nanny and like a mother to her.