Thirteen

Affair Partner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook regretted his selfish action deeply. He knew he was supposed to tell Seolhee that Taehyung didn’t cheat on her, but his ego overpowered his sense of justice. The moment Seolhee had asked him to be her affair partner, he’d been too happy to refuse, even if he knew it waswrong.

He always wanted to have a chance at making her happy, at treating her as someone special, more than a friend. When the chance came, he didn’t want to let it go.

He didn’t want to tell her about Taehyung, because once she knew, she would leave him and go back to her boyfriend. After the date, the thought of her going away from him terrified him.

Now that Taehyung had caught them together, everything went down the drain. It was as he had expected: Taehyung would never regard him as his best friend anymore and Seolhee wouldn’t want to talk to him.

Seolhee didn't come home prom night. That was the worst night he had ever had in his life. It had been a sleepless night for him. The day after that, he decided to stay away from her so that she would go back home.

He decided to focus on his upcoming dance competition.

“Jungkook, aren’t you going home?” Seokjin asked, looking worried. “You’ve been practicing nonstop for seven hours straight. It’s been hours since the others went back home. You should, too.”

It was the day after the prom night. It was the day when Seolhee came back home after spending the night somewhere else – he didn’t know where she’d been, and he wouldn’t ask. About going home, he’d rather be anywhere than home where she was only meters away from him.

“I still need to fix some of my moves that look awkward,” Jungkook answered, trying to sound cheerful when he felt like crying. “Why don’t you go home, too?”

Seokjin narrowed his eyes on him. “Aren’t you tired? I was waiting for you to walk home together.”

Jungkook chuckled. “You know I have the best stamina out of the team. Why would you wait for me? You can go home first.”

Scratching the back of his head, Seokjin hesitated before he asked, “Is there something wrong between you and Taehyung? You guys didn’t talk much today.”

“Nothing,” Jungkook answered a little bit too fast. “Nothing is wrong between us. Maybe he just doesn’t want to waste his energy to talk.”

Jungkook had kissed Taehyung’s girlfriend. Of course he wouldn’t want to talk to him.

“Oh really?” Seokjin didn’t seem convinced. “You need to talk to us if something happens. As Hoseok always says, teamwork is the most important thing in dancing, so if there’s a problem, we need to solve it fast. We want to snatch the gold medal, right?”

Jungkook weakly nodded and forced a smile.

“Don’t push yourself too hard.” Seokjin sighed. “I’ll be going. See you tomorrow.”

After Seokjin was gone from the practice room, Jungkook slid down to a sitting position on the floor, leaning his back against the mirror. He was really thankful that Seokjin took the role as the mother of the group who took care of every member. At least, he felt his affection, and it made him feel better.

He was feeling very depressed.

Steadying his breath, he slowly stood up, almost losing his balance in the process because of the extreme fatigue. He needed to get some rest, but as soon as he didn’t do anything, the thoughts of Seolhee popped up in his mind, and it drove him crazy. He decided he needed to tire himself out that he would feel nothing besides the exhaustion.

Facing his reflectio in the mirror, he let out a bitter laugh. “You idiot. What have you done?” His dark circles were growing larger and he looked ragged, as if he had just come back from a war. His whole body was drenched in sweat. “You shouldn’t have done that.”

When he realized that he was talking to himself, he shook his head hard and threw away all of his thoughts about Seolhee. He pressed the remote control of the stereo and played the music, forcibly dancing to it although he started feeling the pain all over his body.

 

The second day after the prom night, Jungkook had a big fight with Taehyung in the practice room. It happened when they were practicing for the dance competition. Jungkook who was a little bit – not just a little bit, actually – oversensitive about every single thing since he didn’t get enough sleep and rest.

Jungkook was positioned behind Taehyung when they’re still learning some new moves. Seemingly, Taehyung wasn’t in a good condition since he couldn’t catch up with the choreography Hoseok had been teaching them. After repeating the same moves for the third time, Jungkook finally exploded.

“Just memorize the damn moves, Taehyung,” Jungkook spat harshly, his face looking annoyed. Hoseok came to a halt. The others did the same. Jungkook could feel the tension in the room and how his body was heated up – he didn’t know if it was because he’s angry or he’s getting a fever.

Jungkook knew what he did wrong, but he’d lost control of himself.

Taehyung was offended with the rude remark. “Sorry, dance genius. I’m a slow learner.” It surprised Jungkook that Taehyung countered his words, which was unlike his usual self – patient and calm. “Why don’t you teach the moves instead of Hoseok? Who knows, maybe I’ll memorize faster since you’re the genius,” Taehyung continued.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter