One of These Nights [Part I]

The Velvet

A/N: Thank you everyone for your patience!! I had gotten into an accident briefly after posting this initially, which is why there was a delay. I'm recovering fairly well and managed to finish the first part. it's a bit of an introduction, so it's not too long. I hope to add part II soon!! This one is dedicated to Heyyooim! Happy belated birthday! I hope you like this. I'll add the seulri fic description tomorrow ;) 

Guys, come follow me on twitter and talk to me @bernybop!

---

"You're joking, right?" Irene stares at the women in front of her, hands out and proud at the newly purchased Artificial Intelligence. She shakes her head at the ridiculousness of the situation not expecting her birthday to start off with a mysterious, beautiful looking android at her doorstep with her three best friends.
 
Her eyes are big and so clear and her hair is long and red, framing her full cheeks well. The smile on her face is wide and genuine, creating weird feelings in Irene's stomach. She can't help but feel like this isn't exactly the best idea.
 
"No offence to you though...um?"
 
"My creator named me Seungwan, Master Irene," her voice is chirpier than expected, the AI is practically radiant. She's only spoken a single phrase, but Irene can feel all of her energy filling the room. "But she also calls me Wendy, as she really likes the Disney movie, Peter Pan." Her smile is bright, a little too bright that Irene wonders if she's glowing as well. 
 
She's never heard of these products being known for having an artificial glow. The SM Company prides themselves in having a very realistic product, their line of AIs transcending any other android or hybrid cloning program out there.
 
Irene is secretly impressed as Seungwan definitely looks like a real human being. The textures were extremely accurate, from the soft, suppleness of her skin to her silky hair -- one would probably only know she was an AI from seeing her barcode.
 
"I don't know why you think we're joking," Joy says with a smug look, "I mean, I think it's a perfect birthday present. I made Yeri reserve her for us before she was put up on the market."
 
Yeri, the little genius, nods excitedly, holding tightly onto Seungwan's hand and swinging it. "I got to work on Seungwan too so I know she'll definitely take care of you and cater to your needs. Every model is unique, you know! You guys will be a great match. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't think of giving her to you first."
 
Irene feels most betrayed by her best friend Seulgi, who still has her arms outstretched, shaking slightly in an attempt to be theatrical and erase the unsure look on Irene's face. It's not really working, but the effort is endearing.
 
"I know you've been lonely unnie, and with Sooyoungie and I going on that research project in Japan for the next month, and Yeri being promoted and getting more hours at her placement, I wanted to be sure that you'd be taken care of."
 
Irene knows that Seulgi is being sincere; the bear had an inability to be anything but sincere and genuine in all walks of life.
 
And she has a point, though she'd hardly admit it. 
 
Ever since Seulgi and Joy got married a few months ago, they were too absorbed with each other and decorating their new apartment to hang out as much. And Yeri was doing so well with her school work and new placement that she's hardly been around as well. Irene had other acquaintances here and there, but none that she really wanted to be around for more than an hour. 
 
"Do you guys really think of me as some lonely old hag? Or that I can't meet anyone new on my own?" She protests, her arms crossed and a pout on her lips.
 
"Yes" "No!"
 
Irene didn't even have to look at them to figure out who said which answer. She just sighs at her friends' strange thoughtfulness. She's not sure if she should be embarrassed or thankful.
 
"If Master Irene doesn't wish to have me in her custody, then maybe it's best if you just return me, Yerimmie. I do not wish to force anything on her," Seungwan says with a tug on Yeri's hand. She has a bit of a pout, something too cute to be seen on a purely scientific existence. 
 
Irene continues to be impressed and smiles slightly, thinking that Yeri and Taeyeon clearly outdid themselves with this one. 
 
"I know the look on Irene's face," Joy chuckles, grabbing her wife and hanging her arm around her shoulders. Seulgi immediately laughs after, always catching the giggles from her partner. "She thinks Wendy is cute. Just wait until you see her , you can tell that Taeyeon created her."
 
Yeri's ears perk up and with a loud laugh, she wraps her arms around Wendy's waist and pulls her in tight. Irene takes note of this, not expecting to see Wendy be so affectionate in return. Was that just a part of her programming? Or was it because Yeri had a part in her creation?
 
"She's like a mom, Irene-unnie! Well...like my mom at least since you probably don't really want her to be a mom or well that's what Joy unnie said but..." Irene quickly shoots a glare at Joy as the woman skillfully looks away at the right moment, "Anyway, she'll just constantly want to take care of you and make sure you're okay and give you warm hugs when she can sense that you're distressed and just -- she's perfect!" Yeri is hopping up and down as she rambles on about Wendy and Irene catches that the AI is blushing, her cheeks almost the same shade as her fiery hair.   
 
"She is really expressive," Irene mumbles, tilting her head to the side and smiling slightly.
 
"Oh, yes definitely!" Seulgi speaks up, a wide smile on her face, "She's probably the most human-like model that they've made so far. Taeyeon unnie and Yerim may be called the Kid Team, but they really created something special with Wendy. I mean, if I wasn't already-- ouf!" Seulgi is almost knocked back, but Wendy manages to grab her arm in time to keep her balance. 
 
"Don't finish that sentence if you want to sleep with me tonight," Joy's tone causes shivers to go down Irene's spine. The two had been dating throughout the entirety of their university life and Joy had always been so straightforward and almost cold when even the slightest bit agitated.
 
But Seulgi just has to kiss Joy on the cheek to make the woman cool down.
 
"Aww, you know I was just kidding!"
 
Being too distracted by the exchange before her, Irene doesn't notice that Wendy has come up to her until she feels a soft pair of lips caress her cheek.
 
"W-W-Wh-- Seungwan!!" Irene exclaims, jumping back and holding a hand to her cheek, her face incredibly red.
 
"Your new reaction tells me that you won't mind having me around after all," Wendy is cheekier than Irene anticipated. In fact, her entire existence is a lot more different than she expected.
 
"The sass was clearly adopted from our Yeri," Joy snorts, shaking her head at the still flustered Irene and the smirking Wendy. "She picks up behaviours pretty well, I am seriously impressed."
 
Yeri joins the couple in their bouts of laughter as they watch the two in front of them continue their banter, Wendy approaching Irene and the older woman no longer backing away.
 
"I think they'll get along really well, unnies! Let's leave them alone now and come back later for Irene unnie's birthday dinner. I already programmed Wendy with all the recipes in the world!! Can't wait to eat her cooking later, she's so good at it guys!"
 
"Well she is a--" Seulgi gets interrupted again as she shoots a questioning look at her wife before opening and closing in understanding. 
 
"Let's go pick up your mentor, Yeri and let these two get friendly with each other," Joy's laugh gets increasingly louder and more maniacal as she rubs her hands together.
 
"Enjoy yourself Joohyun unnie!!" The three younger women call out, running out of the apartment, leaving a blushing Irene and a laughing Wendy behind.