Moon

Space Literature

“I think I’m gonna fail this year, Taeminnie. All my hope and dreams are going to the space to be destroyed by asteroids,”Kibum lamented in exasperation over the phone while talking to his best friend.

Ding dong Ding dong

Hold on!” Key yelled at whoever is disturbing him.

“Well you chose Astronomy instead of Fine Arts that your parents decided for you. You need to suffer whatever consequence you have to face to finish your major,” said the pilot trainee.

“The reason I took up astronomy is because I want to bring myself to the moon, not write to someone as if he’s my freaking moon!” Key yelled as he opened his door.

“Uhm. Hi?” Greeted by a somewhat confused voice.

“I’ll take you to the moon,” whispered Key.

“Excuse me?” The man outside his door asked in an even more confused voice.

“I’m gonna call you later, Tae,” Key said as he put down his mobile. “No-nothing. I-I was just composing some poem and I asked my friend to help me,” he explained nervously.

The guy smiled -oh my god I think I’m gonna finish that poem tonight- and said, “That’s a beautiful concept, taking someone to the moon.”

“Yeah. You’re beautiful. I mean, the thought. That was beautiful. The thought. Anyway, what can I do for you, Mister…?”

Yeah, Kibum. As if you don’t know Kim Freaking Jonghyun from unit 402. Fourth year Bachelor of Arts, Major in Diplomacy and International Relations with specialization in East and Southeast Asian Studies Minor in Korean Studies. Vice president of Film Gu-

“Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun,” the older offered his hand for a handshake. Key took it while praying to the celestial bodies that his hand isn’t trembling. “I believe you’re Kim Kibum.”

Pretending to be calm and composed amidst his internal screaming, Key managed to say, “You can call me Key for short. By the way, how did you know me?”

“Well, you became pretty popular in the campus after winning that international invention competition last month. Besides, I don’t think anyone would forget a face as stunning as yours,” the other Kim said as if wanting to end Key’s life this instant.

“Thank you for that compliment but I don’t think you knocked on my door with a towel wrapped around your waist just to say those things,” Give yourself the best actor award, Kibum.

“Actually, my shower’s broken but I’ve got a date tonight… Could I possibly use your shower.. Please?”

“Oh sure of course you can use my shower to get ready for your date. Come in,” Key hurriedly turned his back from his crush to hide his disappointment. Thank you for the false hope, universe.

“I suppose we all have the same set of showers in this apartment complex so you’re quite familiar with how things work. As for the toiletries, I hope your date won’t mind smelling spicy vanilla in you,” instructed Key in a business-like tone. Again, to mask his grim feelings.

“I would make sure to compensate for this trouble, Key. I am at your debt,” Jonghyun said while removing his shirt.

You just paid half of it. “No biggie, Jonghyun. Go shower now or else you might be late for your date,” Key said as he closed the shower door. Reluctantly.

Now get your right and finish that literature poem requirement.

As Key settles himself back to his study table, he begins to hear a hum inside the bathroom. Slowly and faint at first, the humming grew louder and louder. The tune seems familiar but the beat sounds slower than the original one.

When the chorus came, Key covered his face in resignation. “Goddamit. He’s humming Pillowtalk in the most angelic voice I’ve ever heard. How will I stay sane and finish my home-”

Key stares at his mess of a table for a split second and grabs his notebook. Using Jonghyun’s voice -and Jonghyun as a whole of course- as an inspiration, the younger began scribbling words as if possessed by William Shakespeare himself.

By the time he finished his poem, Key raised his notebook at eye level and just stared at it. “Now what?”

Oh no baby
Sleep deeper
Not yet, oh baby
What is in the sky
What caught my eye”

Key jumped and almost hit Jonghyun in the process.

“Christ, Kim Jonghyun. You almost gave me a cardiac arrest!” Exclaimed the younger.

“You look extra cute when you’re surprised. I guess I need to do that more often,” Jonghyun chuckled and that was when Key had a full view of the older.

Hair dyed in a faint pink just like a unique aurora borealis, coffee colored irises that mimics the planet Mercury, lips curved in a real y way Saturn’s rings will be envious, and that attractive chest mole vacuuming all his attention just like a black hole… The diplomacy major looks more dazzling than all the constellations Key has studied in his entire life.

“Please put a shirt on. I don’t think your date would find it polite of me to peep on her date like this,” Key directed his gaze to his notebook again to save himself from temptation.

“She has seen me hundreds of times before. She won’t mind,” Jonghyun said as he sits beside Key.

“How erted are you?” the younger said with an exaggerated scandalous expression.

“My mom has seen me since birth. What is erted with that, Mr. Uptight-Science-Nerd?” the older countered.

“Your mom?” this time, true confusion is shown by Key.

“Friday night is my date night with my mom. I’m such a sweet son, aren’t I?” Jonghyun grabbed Key’s notebook. “Now before I go, let me read that poem of yours.”

“Wai-”

I’m loosely holding you
Excited to know what dream it is
The thousands of moons
The river above the sky
I made it all, relax

I’m gonna do what I want,even if you say no
In the end, your lips will be on top of my cheek

Get rid of all your useless thoughts
Don’t act like you’re timid when you’re alone
Tell me what you fantasized

Don’t open your eyes

I take you to the moon
Tell me your secret
Talk to me baby 
I’m getting dirty thoughts
I’m okay with going even farther
Only to me
Talk to me baby”

Feeling so embarrassed and exposed, Key grabbed a throw pillow and hid himself from Jonghyun’s prying gaze.

“Hey! Don’t cover yourself. This poem is awesome!” The newly bathed one said.

“Is that sincere or are you just trying to return the favor now?” Key said as he slowly lowers the pillow and show his blushing face.

“I’m telling the truth. I love how you merged astronomy and literature here. The setting was related to night time since the character you’re talking to is asleep and is said to be dreaming. You also made the moon a symbol of and pure bliss. For a science nerd, your imagination is not bad,” Jonghyun explained seriously.

Failing to control himself, Key hugged Jonghyun tightly.

“Key? Kibum? Are you okay?” Jonghyun said as he hugs back and caresses the younger’s hair.

It took awhile before Key released Jonghyun. As the younger look at the older in the eye, the former’s look teary eyed with joy.

“No-nothing… I’m just so glad I finally made a poem and won’t fail this subject. Also… thank you for serving as my inspiration,” the astronomy major said sheepishly as he wipes away his tears.

Jonghyun holds Key’s wrists and intertwined their fingers in the process. Key is dumbfounded by the older’s actions so Jonghyun takes the chance to lean closer to Key and kiss him lightly on the lips.

“Wha-what’s that for?” Key whispers in shock as he found himself still inches away from Jonghyun.

“I lied when I told you I just knew you last month. Ever since I transferred to this apartment complex six months ago and saw you painting those constellation canvases on the porch, I never stopped thinking about the day I’ll meet you personally. I guess my shower breaking on me while you being the only neighbor I know here is a beautiful coincidence,” Jonghyun confessed.

Mind swirling like a natural satellite revolving around it’s planet, Key mustered the courage to initiate their second kiss this time.

“Jonghyun?”

“Yes, babe?”

“It’s Thursday today, not Friday. How about you stay longer and give me more inspiration? My professor would love it if I’ll give her a novel.”

A/N: Sooooooooooo What do you think if I'll make two sequels in honor of the other two songs from the space trilogy? *winks*