As Realistic As Possible

Artificial Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The music was muffled by the walls of the private party room inside the club. Friends surrounded the table as they sang ‘happy birthday.’ A cake with candles sat in front of you, flickering flames reflecting in your eyes. When the song ended, you quickly blew out the candles, and the room filled with cheers and applause.

 

“Now here’s your present! We all pitched in to get it for you!” Your best friend said as she took your hands and placed them over your eyes.

 

There was some shuffling around before a few friends squealed, “Now!”

 

Your gaze fell on a handsome young man who was smiling shyly at you. Confusion took over your expression as you looked to your best friend.

 

“You got me a man?” You asked.

 

“Not a just man! A robot! From Biopology! I remember you said that you wanted a boyfriend, so ta da!” She gestured to the guy. You remembered her father worked there, and she brought you to take a tour around the manufacturing plant. They created basically any living thing as a mechanical being and could program them for specific things.

 

“That was like five months ago when I said that…” You lowered your voice and felt your cheeks burn slightly, “If you didn’t want me to be alone, why didn’t you get me like a robot dog? You know how I forgot to feed my fish, so a robot animal would have been perfect. I wouldn’t have to feed it, and it would always be there to bark at anyone who knocks on my door.” 

 

“Well, they don’t do exchanges or refunds without a good enough reason.” She looked down in shame.

 

You sighed looking at the robot. He clearly understood the conversation with the way his eyes sort of glistened like he was about to cry. The Biopology symbol ‘tattooed’ on his wrist reminded you he wasn’t a real person. “What’s his name?” You glanced at your friend for a moment.

 

“He didn’t come with one. We’ve just been calling him Xiumin.”

-

Walking into your apartment was awkward. The two of you carried the metal box Xiumin came in up to your living room, him not being fazed by the struggle. Once it was sat down, you pulled out the instructional book and began flipping through the pages. 

 

He hadn’t said a word, and a part of you was hoping he was defective. May be you could send him back for a dog? You looked up at him. He sat on your couch fidgeting with his mechanical fingers. Nothing about him seemed choppy or electronic. His movements were fluid and endearing like an actual person.

 

“I do not like the name they gave me.” Xiumin sudd

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter