Review by FallingArrows

Wished For A Boyfriend, Stuck With A Gangster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So, yeah guys. I asked for a review for this fic. :) it was made by FallingArrows here.

 

 

Title 3.5/5
Does not grab me at all. It’s an extremely predictable title but not entirely cliche so it is worded a bit more nicely and a bit more uniquely. Also, your title should be: ‘Wished For a Boyfriend, Stuck With a Gangster’ because not every word in a title is capitalized. Always remember that every word in a title should be capitalized except little words within titles such as a, an, the, but, as, if, and, or, nor, or prepositions, regardless of their length. Other than that, while it doesn't grab me like a title should, it's still quite good.
 

Poster & Background 7.5/10
I think your poster suits your story well. The light colours and overall light and fluffy tone of your story portrays the fluffiness and lightness of your fanfic, and the darker colours used for the male characters hint at that little bit of danger that’s in your fanfic. The characters of L.Joe and L, how they’re gangsters and all, is portrayed nicely as neither of them are smiling and are instead looking quite serious, depicting their serious roles as gangsters and how that is not easy. The female is looking bright yet is not smiling, which I like; she’s not happy but she’s not exactly sad either, and I like how she’s hiding . The title is not all that big, and the little exert above the males isn’t clear at all; I can hardly read it, so I have to take off points for that. Remember that your title should always be bigger than the characters as a poster is meant to show off your actual FANFIC and what it actually is, not just your characters, even though they are a part of the fanfic itself. Your background is just love hearts… I can’t say that it suits your story all that well (hello… gangsters), but the colours go nicely. All in all, your designer has done a nice job.
 

Description & Foreword 6/10
It’s good. It asks a lot of rhetorical questions, which stirs my curiosity, and how you’ve worded it perfectly describes what I want to find out. Who are these gangs? Who’s the arch-nemesis? And what happened between those two? Well done.

Your foreword, is not even a foreword. I believe a foreword should be a paragraph or two from your fanfic, giving your readers a specific scene that makes them curious, anxious, angry, sad or whatever to make them continue reading your story. Since you have nothing but an author’s note, I cannot award any marks here.
 

Characters 6/10
First of all, I must ask: why is it that Teen Top and INFINITE are always together (albeit, mostly L.Joe and Myungsoo), especially in these sorts of gang storylines? Did they do a performance together or something that involved gangs? I’m very confused, to tell you the truth.

Anyway, I liked how you portrayed L.Joe as not this cold-hearted, bloodthirsty gangster (though in reality, you’ll find that most of them are like that, so it is a bit strange for this man to be so kind and caring when he kills and beats up people for a living…) but instead as this sweet young man, same with L (though I found him a seedy and creepy for my tastes). While I like his character and all, I just don’t think he suits being a gangster, same with the other members of Teen Top (except maybe CAP and Changjo). You have depicted him as being an all-round caring and beautiful type of guy, and because of this, he just does NOT belong in a gang. Yes, he’s badass and can fight and be angry when he needs to be (i.e. the fight scene at the end) but as a character, he doesn’t suit the role of a gangster. School nerd? Maybe. Alleyway fighting, stealing, killing machine? Not so much.

INFINITE very much suited their roles, especially with how you portrayed L as being sightly shady and mysterious. So you’ve done well there.

All in all, your characters don’t grow too much, but since this is story is significantly shorter in length compared to others, I can understand that it may be a little hard for your characters to grow and change in a way that doesn’t make it seem too set up. So all in all, nice work.
 

Plot 4/10
Cliché and predictable. Cliché in the sense that I’ve read this all before. I mean c’mon, badass gangster guy falls in love with clueless girl and he has to save her after she gets tied in with all his gangster business. We’ve read this all before and so many times that it’s just predictable now. To me, as a reviewer, it was so obvious that when the girl disappeared, it was the an enemy of Teen Tops’ (I was originally thinking it was INFINITE, and L was behind it all because he was jealous and so on, so you got me when it turned out to be someone else and I have awarded points for that) who wanted revenge or wanted to get something out of L.Joe and such. It was still predictable to the very last moment when L.Joe offered to sacrifice himself for the girl but you did manage to switch it up by actually killing the guy in the end, which I wasn’t entirely expecting; normally, these storylines end with the conflict being resolved happily and peacefully by them actually sorting it out by talking or whatever, so good job there. But, overall, it was very cliché and predictable, I’m afraid, and so, I wasn’t really able to fully enjoy it because I could already tell what was going to happen. If you plan on writing another fanfiction any time soon, maybe think a little deeper and write something no-one else has written about yet – stay original!
 

Originality 3/10
Not entirely original because of points stated above.
 

Flow 3.5/5
Your flow was pretty good actually. Although it tended to jump around randomly at times, throughout your fanfic, the flow was mostly smooth and quite readable. Time did not pass too quickly, and I felt that the relationship between the OC and L.Joe developed in an appropriate amount of time. Well done.
 

Grammar/

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter