I promise

Moongazing

Soft breeze blew against her skin and carried her hair lightly across her face. Tugging her hair behind her ear to feel the breeze, Tiffany took a deep breath as she inhaled the calmness of the night. Distant sirens, buzzling traffic and the evening crowd just thirty stories down from where Tiffany was currently sitting, made a distinct contrast to the air of serenity that was at the rooftop of the hospital. Settling on the wooden bench, Tiffany gazed at the full moon that have accompanied her through infinite lonely nights and tonight was going to be no different. Tiffany knew, the time has come, and the inevitable was imminent.

 

"What are you thinking, Pany-ah?" A soft voice broke the silence and the trance that Tiffany was in. Tiffany looked down and smile gently at the form, lying comfortably on her lap.

 

"You," Tiffany whispered, as if afraid that if she was any louder, she would break the fragile being before her.

 

"I can never get used to your cheesiness, even after fifty years with you." Taeyeon chuckled before coughing weakly.

 

"Says the queen of cheesiness." Tiffany teased before holding Taeyeon closer, eyes full of concern. "Are you cold? Should we go inside?"

 

The tip of Taeyeon's lips curved upwards slightly as she shook her head, shifting herself more comfortably into Tiffany's hold. "I like where we are right now, and if I am any younger, I would say the cold never bothered me anyway."

 

"Are you quoting that old animated movie, Taetae?" Tiffany laughed. "It's gonna show your age."

 

"I aged beautifully, thank you." Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at Tiffany, who just smiled fondly back at her. 

 

"I know." Tiffany replied, gently Taeyeon's hair. Tiffany felt a painful tug in her heart when she noticed just then how much of Taeyeon's hair had greyed over the past few weeks when she fell ill and had to be hospitalised. It was inevitable at her age, Taeyeon was getting old and her body wasn't as able and strong as compared to few years back. "I am sorry for not being able to keep you warm."

 

Taeyeon grabbed Tiffany's hand and stopped her motion. "Don't be," Taeyeon spoke sternly as she moved Tiffany's hand to above her left chest. "You always warm me right here."

 

"Now there's my queen of cheesiness." Tiffany laughed before leaning down and planting a chaste kiss on Taeyeon's forehead. Taeyeon smiled and said nothing in response.

 

"Taeyeon?" Tiffany asked anxiously when she saw Taeyeon lying peacefully on her lap with a smile on her face.

 

"Still here," Taeyeon opened her eyes slowly. "Was just resting my eyes."

 

A brief silence took over as they wordlessly enjoyed each other's presence. However, there was one thing that was left hanging the in air which Taeyeon knew she has to address before her time comes. 

 

"Tiffany," Taeyeon sighed. "Promise me you will find me and fight for me?" 

 

Tears brimmed Tiffany's eyes as she looked back up at the moon, trying hard to not cry. "You know I can't do that. I will always find you but if you are already happy, I can't take that from you."

 

"Fany." Taeyeon warned. They have already spoken about it numerous times, and have ended quarrelling over the subject half the time. There were a few lifetimes where Tiffany found Taeyeon a little too late - Taeyeon was already with someone else or even married. Tiffany would then take a step back and watched over Taeyeon behind the shadows. Having realised how much that would hurt Tiffany, seeing the one you love to be happy with someone else and not knowing her existence, Taeyeon wanted Tiffany to not leave her be and Taeyeon was adamant that Tiffany would be her choice, no matter which lifetime.

 

"You know," Tiffany said sadly. "I am okay with you being happy with someone else, as long as you are happy."

 

Taeyeon was going to interrupt when Tiffany stopped her.

 

"The cruelest moment of this wretched eternal life is when everytime we meet for the first time, you would smile at me with the brightest, earnest smile but without an inch of recognition in your eyes." Tiffany said as she caressed Taeyeon's face fondly. "For just that one moment, I would question myself how much more times I could take. Maybe my heart would break a little each time but to not see that smile at all, it would kill me, if I can die. You are my starlight."

 

"Then promise me you would come for me, make me remember."

 

"I love you." Tiffany responded gently.

 

"I love you too but you know that not what I want to hear from you."

 

"It's not?" Tiffany gasped dramatically. 

 

Taeyeon sighed as she reached out to hold Tiffany's cheek. "Can I see you in your younger look again?"

 

Tiffany tilted her head questioningly.

 

"If I can't squeeze a promise out of you, I will have to depend on myself to remember you when we meet again. Now show me."

 

Tiffany nodded as another soft breeze blew across and under the moonlight, Taeyeon watched as Tiffany's hair slowly turned black, dropping the greyish façade. The wrinkles around Tiffany's eyes smoothened while age spots lightened and disappeared.

 

"Wow." Taeyeon held her breath. "How could I ever miss such a beauty in any of my lives?"

 

"I wonder how too." Tiffany joked to lighten up the atmosphere. 

 

"I am now etching your face into my mind." Taeyeon announced as she closed her eyes but Tiffany knew Taeyeon was getting tired. Taeyeon held her hand against her heart again as she muttered softly. "Just promise me you would come find me?" 

 

The last of her voice dissipated into the night as Taeyeon's hold loosened.

 

Tiffany leaned in again to kiss Taeyeon on her lips.

 

"Always," Tiffany whispered against her lips as she let her tears flowed uncontrollably.

 

-

 

A/N: Eek, I don't mean to be so angsty but you have got to listen to Tiffany's cover of Moon and Sunrise if you haven't. Now back to Starlight MV. *Sigh in content*