Galaxy

You're My Sun, One and Only in this World

“Are you okay?”

 

Taehyung looked up from his place on the hallway floor, his back against the wall as his legs were pulled into his chest. The person standing near him had light brown hair and full lips. He stared back at Taehyung with worry.

 

“Do you know Namjoon?” The stranger asked, pointing to the door that was between them. Taehyung simply nodded and began to rest his head against his knees again as he felt another wave of tears come. He heard the other man rasp against the door with quick knocks. Soft footsteps could be heard from the other side.

 

“Hey—Jin, hey, you’re here,” Taehyung could hear Namjoon’s nervousness without looking. So that was Jin, huh? Taehyung had imagined him to be…different maybe? Less pretty, but then again Namjoon was always saying he was handsome. Taehyung had always just thought it was the exaggerations of someone in love. “Taehyung?”

 

Taehyung didn’t make a start to move, not even looking up.

 

“Taehyung, what’s up?” Namjoon’s voice was closer now, carrying concern. “You were here like an hour ago, what happened?”

 

“Don’t feel like going back,” Taehyung grunted out.

 

“Let’s all go inside,” Namjoon suggested, quickly reaching out to help Taehyung stand up. He walked him into the apartment which was filled with the scent of a freshly cooked meal. Taehyung wasn’t hungry though and just went straight for the door that led to the one bedroom in the apartment.

 

He crawled under the blankets, quickly rapping himself up without thinking. He closed his eyes again in hopes of avoiding more waterworks.

 

“Is he okay?” muffled voices could be heard through the bedroom door and Taehyung put both his hands over his ears to stop them. He’d heard enough private conversations to last a lifetime.

 

A few moments later, a new weight was added to the cheap mattress. Taehyung had expected Namjoon, but when he opened his eyes, he saw Kim Seokjin instead.

 

“Hi,” his voice came out soft. “I’m Kim Seokjin, but everyone calls me Jin.”

 

“I know.” Taehyung said much ruder than he intended, but he was too tired to correct himself.

 

“Namjoon, huh?” Taehyung was glad he caught on without explanation and nodded. Jin’s smile widened and he let out a quiet laugh. “He’s told me about you, too.”

 

Taehyung rolled over then, not really feeling like meeting someone new.

 

“Sorry if I’m bothering you, but I thought I might be able to understand a little bit more than Namjoon.” Jin waited for another minute before saying anything else and Taehyung waited too. There was more shifting and Taehyung thought that maybe Jin was getting ready to give up on him. Instead, he felt the bed shake a bit as Jin stretched his legs out beside him. “I understand what it’s like to hurt someone.”

 

Taehyung stiffened.

 

“I had a boyfriend when I met Namjoon. Did he tell you that?”

 

“No,” Taehyung replied. “He said things were difficult for you two at first, but that’s all.”

 

“I appreciate him keeping it to himself, honestly.” Jin’s voice was almost trembling. “It’s still kind of fresh, even though it wasn’t my heart that got hurt the most. When we decided to break up, my ex-boyfriend and I, it was like the tears wouldn’t stop flowing. A whole year of being with someone and then you have to say goodbye.”

 

“But you had Namjoon—” Taehyung felt himself get defensive and angry, feeling like Jin wasn’t appreciating what he had.

 

“Taehyung,” Jin interrupted quickly, sensing the other’s disapproval. “If we only had to care about our soulmate and no one else, things would be a lot easier. That’s not the case though.”

 

Taehyung’s mouth quickly snapped shut and more tears moved to his eyes.

 

“Namjoon is amazing and what I feel with him—I feel breathless, every time he smiles or laughs or even when he’s making that really cute confused face, it all just leaves me a little stunned. Which I’m sure you can understand with your own soulmate.” Taehyung rolled over carefully, laying on his back and staring up at the ceiling. Jin smiled down at him, his own back resting against the scuffed headboard. “But even though Namjoon has become the most important person in my life, I still cared about my ex-boyfriend and what all this would do to him. I cried for him, almost every night for two weeks.”

 

“I understand.” Taehyung said, not meeting Jin’s eyes. “Fate can put you into some tricky places.”

 

Jin sighed. “That’s true,” said, smiling down to Taehyung. “But I’m also happy it brought me to Namjoon. And I still hope that maybe Yoongi and I could work things out and remain close.”

 

“Has he met them yet?”

 

“His soulmate? No.” Jin fiddled with his fingers in his lap. “I think that makes it harder for both of us. I left him to be alone for who knows how long and sometimes I feel like it’s all my fault, that I’m the reason he’s currently hurting.”

 

Taehyung reached out to take one of Jin’s hands into his own, trying to comfort the other. “You can’t blame yourself for falling in love, hyung.”

 

Taehyung felt his breathing stop for a second, realizing his own words. A distant chant that Hoseok had whispered into his ears each night, reminding him that he wasn’t the bad one.

 

“Do you blame yourself, Taehyung?” Jin’s thumb lightly rubbed the back of Taehyung’s hand. “Is that why you’re hurting?”

 

“I—” Taehyung could barely grasp what he wanted to say as the tears began to silently fall. “Yes,” he whispered. “Yes. I blame myself, but I’m hurting people. I’m hurting them so I can be happy.”

 

“Oh Taehyung,” Jin reached out to pull the other closer, releasing his hand to gently his hair. “You deserve to be happy too.”

 

Taehyung cried then, finally allowing himself to fully release all the pent up emotion. His sobs were loud and unencumbered. He curled into Seokjin’s side, not caring about how badly the tears were most likely staining his nice dress shirt. Jin didn’t seem to mind though, only his hair and whispering kind words.

 

Was it really okay for him? Even after everything, is it still okay for him to be happy that he found Hoseok?

 

 

*

 

 

Taehyung slowly lifted his lids, finding himself alone in Namjoon’s room and still tucked under the covers. He didn’t make an attempt to move or open his eyes too wide. His hearing gradually faded in and he could hear Jin’s voice.

 

“Namjoon, I’ve been thinking a lot about it.” He said, his tone serious. “I think it’s time for you to meet Yoongi.”

 

There was silence for a minute and then the low tone of Namjoon’s own voice. “Are you sure?” His voice was filled with concern. “Do you think you’re ready—or him? Do you think he’s ready for that?”

 

“I don’t know,” Jin conceded. “But I don’t want to hide you two from each other. I still want Yoongi in my life and I don’t think I can just keep isolating him this way.” There was another few seconds of nothing and then “Oh Joonie, I won’t force you into anything that you don’t want, okay?”

 

“I know.”

 

“But he’s also an important friend and I don’t want to give that up without trying. Please understand that.”

 

“I – I’ll do my best to understand and I’ll go,” Namjoon stuttered. “I just want you to be happy, Jin.”

 

Taehyung couldn’t hear anymore words, just the soft sounds of lips on lips and then the front door opening and closing. He moved back under the blanket, closing his eyes and finding sleep once again.

 

*

 

Taehyung stayed with Namjoon the next day and Namjoon didn’t say anything about it. He offered leftovers from the night before and put on Taehyung’s favorite sitcom. He didn’t ask about Hoseok or Jimin, or even what Jin had said. Instead he sat a little bit closer and tried to make more bad jokes than usual. Taehyung appreciated it—appreciated Namjoon for giving him the space to breath, but not leaving him out there to drown.

 

On Monday, Taehyung attended classes as usual and went back to the dorm afterwards. His phone had died sometime on Sunday, so he was worried Jimin might be upset about his little disappearance. Upon entering the room, though, Jimin made no indication of worry or anger.

 

“Ah you’re back!” He said from his spot at his desk, quickly flipping the intro to music book shut and turning in his chair.

 

“Yeah, sorry I never texted but my phone was dead and I left the charger here.” Taehyung quickly tried to excuse.

 

“It’s cool, Namjoon-hyung texted me yesterday,” Jimin said. “I’m surprised he was okay with you crashing; he usually hates it when you come over uninvited.”

 

Taehyung let out a nervous chuckle, moving to sit down on his own bed. Jimin’s eyes followed him, his looks going from light to heavy in a few seconds. “Listen, about Hoseok-hyung,” Jimin began and Taehyung froze. “He told me about you two, um, about your relationship.” Taehyung kept his eyes down, afraid that if he looked up Jimin would know about everything.

 

“I just want to say that I support you two,” Jimin’s voice came out with a perfected tone, almost as if the phrase had been rehearsed.

 

“Thanks,” Taehyung said quietly, forcing a smile onto his lips.

 

“And it’s okay you didn’t say anything, Hoseok explained that too.” Taehyung looked up to see Jimin eyeing him nervously. “I—I hope you guys are happy together.”

 

“uh—thank you, really.”

 

Taehyung let Jimin return to his studies and he eventually pulled his own work out of his bag, leaving his uncharged phone in a pocket where it stayed for the entire week. Taehyung kept up with his classes, even attending the stargazing club’s meeting to discuss the watch taking place Friday night. He didn’t contact Hoseok, though. He wasn’t avoiding him, but he needed to think by himself and it was already bad enough that the older dancer was constantly on his mind while he was away. Taehyung just needed some room to breathe.

 

Under the stars on Friday night, Taehyung felt the nostalgia of the past. The freshly cut grass, the crickets chirping, and the deep blue sky, it was all so familiar. Taehyung enjoyed how this remained consistent, how the night and its skies stayed beside him.

 

“Can I sit?” Hoseok’s voice almost seemed like an illusion after a week. Taehyung turned his neck seeing the older student standing a few feet away. He smiled softly, his heart clenching at the sight of him in his oversized sweatshirt and ripped jeans.

 

“Of course,” Taehyung said as he pat the ground next to him.

 

“Has everything been okay?” Hoseok asked as he sat down, his hands tangling in the grass below. “I haven’t heard from you all week.”

 

“My phone is off.” Taehyung explained simply, his eyes turning back to the stars. He blindly reached out to find Hoseok’s hand on the ground between them. “I’ve missed you.”

 

“You could’ve called me,” Hoseok grumbled, “or just come over, or something. Just leaving me in the dark like that had me worried, Tae.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Taehyung whispered, resting his head against the other’s shoulder. “I just needed to think.”

 

“Think?” Worry rose in his voice, “Listen Taehyung, I have to tell you about what happened with Jimin.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You know?”

 

“I,” Taehyung took in a deep breath. “I went to the dance studio that night and I heard everything.” Taehyung closed his eyes, snuggling down into Hoseok’s neck. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Wha—Why are you sorry? I’m the one who should be sorry. I broke my promise and told Jimin.” Hoseok sounded both confused and guilty.

 

“I’m sorry you had to lie for me,” Taehyung said into the other’s neck. “I’m sorry I made you do that.”

 

“You didn’t make me do anything.”

 

“Please don’t excuse me,” Taehyung whispered. “Please just take this apology. I can’t do it anymore.”

 

“Taehyung,” Hoseok’s voice was shaking. He shook his hand loose, using both of them to pull Taehyung’s face to look at him. “What are you saying?”

 

Taehyung looked up at him, almost startled at how his cheerful eyes could look so lost.

 

“I’m not going to—I can’t leave you.” His voice was desperate. “Please, you can’t.” His voice cracked. “You can’t leave me.”

 

“No,” Taehyung said, “I don’t think I can.” He placed his palm over the hand cupping one of his cheeks. “But I can’t keep doing this while everyone excuses me. You’re too good to me.” Taehyung kissed softly at the corner of the other’s lips. “You’ve let me get away with hurting you and I don’t want that anymore. I’ve been too selfish—“

 

“It’s fine, I don’t mind—“

 

“No, it’s not fine, Hoseok.” Taehyung said firmly. “I don’t want to hurt you anymore. You don’t deserve what I’ve put you through this past month of hiding, of pulling away and pretending that we’re not soulmates.”

 

Taehyung pulled the other closer, causing Hoseok’s hands to drop down to his waist. Taehyung gave him another soft kiss on top of the mole near his cupid’s bow.

 

“I have to stop being afraid.” Taehyung whispered and Hoseok looked at him with eyes full of love and concern. “That means telling Jimin the truth.”

 

Hoseok was quiet for a minute. “Okay,” he said. “I understand.”

 

Taehyung smiled at him before pulling into his side and watching the stars once more.

 

The stars in the dark sky eventually shifted to a light blue as time move forward. Taehyungs resolution that night was real, but so was his infatuation with his soulmate and the more time he spent with the older student, the less he wanted things to change. Jimin was opening back up, things seemed okay. Taehyung had already been the wrecking ball in the their respective lives before and he wasn’t ready to go back to being that.

 

Every so often he would build up the courage to come clean once and for all, but each time he would stop himself. Sometimes it was the light redness around Jimin’s eyes, other times he couldn’t bear to ruin the smile on Jimin’s face. How could he make him cry more and smile less? This isn’t what best friends do.

 

But best friends don’t lie to each other either.

 

He started spending more time at Hoseok’s place. The dancer’s apartment become a bubble where the guilt of his past mistakes dissipated. Before Taehyung had realized it, time had gotten away from him and his resolution started to fall through the cracks.

 

*

Taehyung rolled closer to Hoseok, pulling the comforter with him as they both snuggled under its warmth. Hoseok moved his arm around the other’s shoulders and Taehyung took the opportunity to nuzzle into his neck. He softly pressed his lips against Hoseok’s throat, feeling the rhythm of his pulse.

 

“Your heart is racing,” Taehyung said triumphantly, smiling up at the other.

 

Hoseok flared his nostrils. “Why do you always bring that up,” He grumbled. “I like you and apparently that’s what happens when you’re with someone you like.”

 

“Awe, hyung,” Taehyung cooed, “you like me?”

 

“Dork.” Hoseok shook his head while letting out an annoyed sigh and Taehyung burst into giggles.

 

Taehyung’s laughter quickly came to halt when Hoseok changed their position, pushing Taehyung onto his back and straddling him in one swift movement, leaving the freshman wide-eyed as the other leaned over him. “Have I not shown how much I like you?”

 

Taehyung gulped, quickly nodding.

 

“Should I,” Hoseok smirked; his eyes shifted from playful to dark, something Taehyung had only seen when he was on stage or extremely aroused, “demonstrate further?”

 

Taehyung felt his mouth go dry and heat rising to his cheeks. Even after two months of learning everything that was Jung Hoseok, Taehyung still didn’t feel like he would ever get use to this side of him. Hoseok moved closer, tongue wetting his lips.

 

“I like you,” He breathed out, lips hovering over Taehyung’s own, “so much.”

 

And before Taehyung could remove the final inches between them, two hands shot out to tickle his sides. The younger of the two felt helpless as he laughed, pleas to stop lost in his choked out laughter as Hoseok attacked him with precise fingers.

 

“Hyung,” Taehyung gasped out, tears coming to his eyes, “stop.

 

Over the short time they’d been together, the older had learned all of his sensitive spots— and Taehyung was usually grateful for that—but not in their current situation. Taehyung whined again, trying, and failing, to squirm out from under the other.

 

“That should teach you not to mess with me.” Hoseok finally relented, rubbing slowly at Taehyungs waist as if too smooth out the sensation. 

 

“You’re so mean.” Taehyung pouted, placing a hand on each of Hoseok’s biceps. “You know I hate being tickled.”

 

“You know I hate when you remind me of my irregularly fast heart rate.” Hoseok stuck his tongue out like a child and Taehyung couldn’t help but to smile.

 

“I thought I was gonna get lucky, though. Since when did you become such a tease?” Taehyung moved a hand to flick softly at Hoseok’s cheek.

 

“You can get lucky after the rap gig tomorrow night.” Hoseok smirked again, kissing Taehyung quickly on the lips before rolling back onto the mattress.

 

“I guess I’ll show up then.” Taehyung smirked back, tangling their legs together and pulling Hoseok closer so he could mouth at his jaw. “Are you nervous?”

 

A shuddered breath resounded as Taehyung moved his lips closer to Hoseok’s earlobe. “Yes,” the dancer sighed. “Following Namjoon is everything to be nervous about. He’s been doing this for so long and I’m still so new at it.”

 

“You’ll do well,” Taehyung shifted for a moment to meet the Hoseok’s eyes. “You’re amazing at everything you do; this isn’t an exception.” Taehyung frowned, “but don’t do too well okay? I don’t need other people getting interested in my man.”

 

“Your man?” Hoseok laughed, “If I’m the tease, then you’re the jealous one.”

 

“I’m serious, Hyung!” Taehyung whined, lightly hitting the other on the chest. “After your last dance performance I had to fight a few girls just to see you.”

 

Hoseok continued to laugh, tightening his grip around the other’s waist. “You’re so cute, Taehyung.” He kissed the him chastely before adding, “I’ll help you fight them next time okay? Don’t be too worried about my nonexistent fan base.”

 

Taehyung grumbled a bit more before Hoseok shushed him up with a few more kisses, each one lingering longer than the last. Taehyung happily reciprocated, the taste of Hoseok somehow better and better every time their lips met. Hoseok’s hand slowly moved up to cup his jaw and tilt his head upward. The response from the younger of the two was to playfully at the other’s bottom lip until it opened allowing Taehyung full access.

 

Hoseok on his tongue, causing a shudder to run up Taehyung’s spine as he gripped the front of Hoseok’s white cotton shirt a bit tighter. The feeling of absolute bliss washed over him when the dancer’s thumb rubbed small circles into the skin of his jaw as Hoseok nipped lightly at his pink lips. The room seemed to rise in temperature and each tender touch from Hoseok burned through Taehyung. All Taehyung could think of was the sun, of his sun, and how he’d known there would never be something he could love more.

 

And when it was almost too much, when Taehyung was almost completely lost in the fire that was Jung Hoseok, said boy began to pull away.

 

“I’ve been meaning to ask,” Hoseok started in a low voice, allowing Taehyung to reach out for another kiss before continuing. “If you’d,” He hesitated and Taehyung registered the nervous look on his face. He shifted awkwardly, his eyes looking down before meeting Taehyung’s, “talked with Jimin yet.”

 

Like that, Taehyung’s high came crashing down and the thoughts he managed to push back came flooding forward. “I haven’t,” he whispered, the guilt coming back. “I was actually planning to say something after tomorrow night.”

 

It was the truth. Although almost a month had passed since Jimin had discovered half of the truth, Taehyung still hadn’t found it in himself to confess to what he’d done. He’d been toeing at the line, flirting with ways of how to go about this without losing his best friend. Made up scenarios, rehearsed speeches, it all ended with Taehyung seeing the same result: Jimin never being able to trust him again.

 

“He’ll be there tomorrow?” Fingers threaded through Taehyung’s brown hair in an attempt to soothe him.

 

“Yeah, he wants to support you and Namjoon-hyung.” Taehyung nodded slightly and bit his lower lip a bit too hard. “I just want everything to be okay.”

 

“It will be.” Hoseok murmured, “And the two of us, we’ll be okay too.”

 

Taehyung’s hand slipped around Hoseok’s waist and the pressure on his lip increased. It’s not that things hadn’t been okay with the two of them. Before everything, things were good and now things were good and after it all, things should still be good. That’s what Taehyung kept reassuring himself anyway. It wasn’t hard to miss the way things weren’t right. How Taehyung had been distancing himself from everyone, how even when the young stargazer was there, he wasn’t really there.

 

Taehyung knew, but finding some solution to fixing that problem seemed to lie with the solutions to all his problems—and that was the truth. Telling the truth about everything that had happened, it was his worst nightmare but his only savior at this point.

 

He wanted to be here now; he wanted to bask in Hoseok’s tender touches and comforting words. Appreciating him, that’s all he could do at this short moment in time. That, and try to suppress Hoseok’s fears as the dancer stopped his own.

 

“We’re okay now,” Taehyung smiled genuinely, gripping the other tightly. “We’ll always be okay.”

 

Hoseok gave him a soft smile and moved his hand to rub and down Taehyung’s arm, “and I’ll always be supporting you okay?” He kissed his forehead gently, murmuring “Jimin loves you so much, Tae. You two will make it through this” before wrapping him completely into his embrace.

 

“I,” Taehyung curled closer, hiding his face in Hoseok’s neck, “really hope we do.”

 

Hoseok didn’t say anything else, instead flicking off the side lamp and keeping the other close for the night. His lips found Taehyung’s again before they both drifted out of consciousness and into peaceful dreams that Taehyung only has when Hoseok was there to chase away the nightmares.

 

 

*

 

 

Nothing could compare to the real thing; nothing could take the place of a star caught in the deep blue of the night sky. 

 

City lights mimicking the twinkling stars hidden behind polluted clouds were enough for some. Taehyung was painfully aware that he would never be able to see the night sky at its full glory in this part of the world. That thought sent a shiver down his spine as we walked next to Jimin in the brisk air that came with early winter nights.

 

“I think I’m in love with the city life, Tae.” Jimin chirped next to him, eyes glowing with the excitement of busy nights downtown. He gave Taehyung a genuine smile and continued walking toward the club a few feet ahead. Taehyung tried to give one in return, but it probably came out as fake as the street lamps were for the real night sky.

 

The heat of the venue came from the many bodies pushed into such a small area, and the dim lighting kept things blurry. Taehyung held onto Jimin’s wrist, looking for a familiar face as the other looked around nervously. He caught sight of familiar brown hair and started that way.

 

“Jin-hyung!” He yelled out, trying to be heard over the music and the voices of everyone else around them. Jin and a blonde guy with him both turned to look at Taehyung and Jimin. Taehyung smiled. “Hyung said you would be here tonight. I’m so happy, does this mean you’ll be coming to the apartment tonight? You haven’t made me breakfast in like a week.” Taehyung noticed Jin’s blush and made a mental note to stop by tomorrow morning so he could eat some real food.

 

“Taehyung this is Yoongi,” Jin introduced the guy to his left after letting out a nervous laugh. Taehyung smiled and greeted the other, also introducing Jimin. He almost forgot that his roommate hadn’t met Namjoon’s soulmate. Jimin smiled shyly, eyes momentarily going to Jin’s wrist and noticing the heart.

 

“Nice to meet you guys,” Jimin said softly. Taehyung felt the high-energy his best friend previously had ebbed away as the song began to start and Namjoon made his way onto stage. Jin was enraptured and Taehyung began to fidget when the last beats faded out, signaling the end of the song.

Jin was breathless then, making half-assed offers for them to join him in finding Namjoon. Yoongi quickly refused, as did Taehyung. “Hobi-hyung is on next and I have to support my sunshine.” Jin disappeared then, leaving the three to wait for the dancer-turned-rapper to make his appearance on stage.

 

“So you’re soulmates a rapper too?” Yoongi asked curiously.

 

“He’s new at it, but yeah.” Taehyung informed, noticing the way Jimin awkwardly shifted out of the corner of his eye. “He’s a dance major, turned music double major. We met at one of the showcases a few months ago.” Taehyung smiled nervously, ending the conversation there and keeping his eyes focused on the stage instead of where his best friend was.

 

Nothing could compare to the real thing, but when Hoseok gets on stage and the spotlight hits him, Taehyung is sure that Hoseok could replace every star in the sky and shine ten times as bright. His rap was edgy and different—completely unique. Taehyung sat mesmerized, for a moment forgetting everything that has happened and what needs to happen. All he could see was Hoseok spitting into the mic as he dropped verses that could only be described as straight up fire. He blazed as hot as the sun and when it was over, Taehyung was too lost to even pretend to offer for companionship to find him.

 

Instead, he jumped off the bar stool and pushed his way into the crowd in the direction of the stage until he found him. His tan skin was shining in a thin layer of sweat, his body shaking after the performance, but when Hoseok’s eyes caught Taehyung, they lit up even brighter than the smile on his face.

 

“How was I—“ Hoseok was cut off as Taehyung ran into him, locking his arms around his waist and pressing his lips against Hoseok’s heart shaped mouth.

 

“You’re amazing,” He mumbled, still breathless from the run to the stage, from the performance, from being his soulmate. Taehyung pressed another feverish kiss to Hoseok’s lips. “You were so amazing, Hyung.”

 

 

*

 

 

“Taetae?” Jimin’s voice was soft, whispering. “I’m sorry, I’m probably interrupting.”

 

“Jimin?” Taehyung’s eyes flickered open, phone pressed to his ear. “Is something wrong?”

 

“Can you come back to the dorm, Tae? I—I found him, my soulmate, I met him.”

 

 

*

Taehyung rushed through the heavy wooden door into his shared room. Jimin sat at his desk with his laptop opened. “Is everything alright? Where is he?” Taehyung burst out, his heart pounding from his run back and from the news that his best friend had found his soulmate.

 

“Min Yoongi.” Jimin said blankly, pointing to the open Facebook tab that showed the blonde upperclassmen’s profile. “I can’t—what are the coincidences, right?”

 

“Jimin.” Taehyung walked over to him, crouching down so he could rap his arms around his roommate. “I’m so happy for you.”

 

Jimin chuckled, returning the hug. “I know you are, Taetae.” Taehyung pulled him closer. “Can you help me get his number? I sort of rushed out before I realized.”

 

“He’s friend with Jin-hyung, right?” Taehyungs hand quickly scrambled to grab the phone of his pocket. “I’ll text Namjoon-hyung right now.”

 

“I don’t know how you let Hoseok-hyung keep everything hidden for so long.” Jimin said without thought, eyes trailing over each new image of Yoongi that appeared after a click of his mouse. His full lips were set into a soft smile, eyes glittering as they reflected the screen. “I feel like running back out and trying to find him. Campus isn’t that big is it?”

 

Taehyung gulped and shifted nervously next to his friend who was still too enraptured in Facebook to notice. His fingers tingle and throat dried up as he realized what he was about to do—what he’d needed to do for the past few months.

 

“Actually, about that,” He started softly, just loud enough to catch Jimin’s attention away from the screen. “There are a few things I… haven’t been honest with you about.”

 

The words rolled off his tongue quickly, like they’d be sitting at the edge of his lips waiting to finally be released. Taehyung avoided Jimin’s eyes. He knew that one look and he’d lose all the courage he’d built up in this single moment. “I asked Hoseok to keep us a secret.” He heard Jimin in a breath, but kept going without looking over. “I could tell you liked him once I saw the way your eyes watched him at his performance. You were mesmerized, Jimin. How could I, your best friend, take that away from you?” Tears swelled up in the corner of his eyes. “I didn’t want to hurt you, but in the process I think I’ve betrayed you even more. It feels like I’ve told more lies in these past few months than in my entire life.”

 

“Taehyung…” Jimin said softly, warily.

 

“I never wanted a soulmate.” Taehyung kept going, closing his eyes. “All I’ve ever wanted was you, Namjoon-hyung, and the stars. That’s all I’ve ever needed. But suddenly everything is a mess, I’m betraying my best friend, and I can’t keep Hoseok’s smile out of my mind.”

 

Taehyung felt the tears fall, finally opening up his eyes and meeting Jimin’s. “So suddenly, Hoseok became my sun and everything else fell by the wayside.” Jimin’s eyes were lowered, his face unsure. “I knew, ever since I was little, I knew this soulmate thing would change me—but I can’t even hate it, because now I have him.”

 

Jimin laid a hand down onto Taehyungs forearm, eyes still lowered. “I wish you’d just told me.” He said quietly.

 

“Me too.” Taehyung croaked out.

 

“Taehyung.” Jimin looked straight into his eyes. “I need you to know that I’m not a fragile little boy anymore.” Taehyung’s eyebrows drew together in confusion. “I’ll never be as strong as someone like you and I’ll always be lost in the clouds of ‘what ifs’  and ‘whens,’ but that doesn’t mean I can’t handle the truth, even when it’s hard.” He pulled Taehyung forward so that they were facing each other directly. “I would never want you to suffer so that you could protect me. I love you too much for that.”

 

Jimin’s face was strong and still, calmer than ever. His eyes were hard from the serious nature of their conversation, but held a soft sparkle that showed Taehyung he was serious when he said his last few words.

 

“I can’t even be too angry with you.” Jimin lips twisted up at the corners slightly. “I know I would do the same thing in a heartbeat if it meant you were happy.”

 

Taehyung cried then—full on, with no reservations—as Jimin held him, smoothing circles into his back with his hand, whispering small words of love.

 

*

 

When Taehyung was little, he fell in love with the sun. His parents warned him that the sun was too bright and if he stared too long, he wouldn’t be able to see it at all anymore. Afraid, Taehyung opted for the night sky that was filled with stars. His heart missed the bright and warm glow the day brought, but appreciated how loneliness dissipated when the many dots of light reminded him that he would never be alone.

 

As Taehyung looked around Namjoon’s apartment, he felt his heart swell with love for the new stars in his life. Jin, who could be just as fiery as he was wise was chastising Namjoon as he failed to remember oven mitts when grabbing the hot pot from the stove. Namjoon could only hold his hand under the running tap water, blurting out curse words under his breath.

 

“I swear to god, if you don’t stop hurting yourself, I’m going to kill you.” Jin said with an exasperated tone, obviously more worried about his boyfriend than angry.


Taehyung smiled, a movement on the other side of the room catching his attention.

 

“The notes they’re having you play aren’t the ones in the song though.” Yoongi complained as he sat on the floor in front of the coffee table with Jimin next to him. They were so close, their thighs pressed right up next to each other, as Jimin leaned over the table with his elbows. He held his phone in his hand, his thumbs dashing across the screen. “If you want to play the piano why don’t you when you come over.”

 

Jimin snorted. “Every time I come over you just want to cuddle. I can barely use the bathroom without you trying to come in with me, Hyung!” He grumbled, leaning closer and resting his head onto the blond boy’s shoulder. “Plus the one time you tried to teach me, you immediately started trying to touch my—”

 

“This game is great, who needs a real piano.” Yoongi quickly cut him off, eyes focused on the screen while his face turned beet red.

 

“You look happy, Tae.” A voice came from beside the stargazer. Hoseok smiled over to him, offering him the controller after getting a “Game Over” screen on the game they’d been playing while Jin and Namjoon made dinner. Taehyung smiled, his lips pressing against the older dancer’s cheeks as he grabbed the controller.

 

“Yeah,” Taehyung said, looking around at all the stars that filled up the room and his life. His eyes flickered to his favorite, his sun, “I am.”