2/3

Cha Hak Yeon's house of Gifted brothers

When he woke up, he sat up to notice Jae Hwan reading a book by his side. “You are up! I’m glad you woke up because Hong Bin nearly lost it yesterday night.” Jae Hwan stood up and offered Taek Woon a cup of water. “You seemed truly tense yesterday and I guess it was also too much to take when Miss Wong showed up.”

“What is going on in this house?” Taek Woon hissed making Jae Hwan pause, thinking a little before speaking.

“We are peculiars, people with different powers. Like X men, if you want to take it that way. It’s the trackers who call us peculiars, but Miss Wong calls us the gifted.” Jae Hwan chuckled to himself for a moment. “Every one of us was born with ability, some discovered it in a very young age and some not, like you for example. The trackers however are creatures that kill the peculiars. I don’t know why and I didn’t want to ask about that either. They killed my parents when I was eight, and luckily I didn’t discover my powers at that time so I didn’t get caught.” Jae Hwan paused a little. “I wonder who found me, because I don’t remember the time between my parents death and meeting Hak Yeon and the others. Hak Yeon was abandoned by his parents in this house. They said it would be better if he stayed away from his normal family for his brother and sister security. He was devastated but when we all got this, he became more cheerful and made us feel loved and cherished.”

“What is his power?” Taek Woon had pulled his knees closer to him as he listened.

“Fire. He’s made of fire, literally.” Jae Hwan smiled. “He is lighter than any of us so he’s always wearing shoes with mercury. They weight twice our weight combined.”

“I saw him wearing them inside the house.” Jae Hwan nodded at that. “I guess he have no choice.”

“He doesn’t. If he needs to eat, he have to wear them.” Jae Hwan was loud for Taek Woon liking. “Won Shik and Hyuk came to us by accident, they got attacked by trackers who followed Hong Bin, again, and Hong Bin saved them, then brought them to us. Trackers never attack normal people.”

“I see. Hong Bin told me he had a similar story as yours.” Jae Hwan blinked at him curiously.

“I’ve never knew his parents were killed by trackers.” Jae Hwan mumbled confusedly. “He never tells me about it. I guess he knew it will bring bad memories to me.” Jae Hwan got a shudder from Taek Woon as answer. “Anyway, you are one of us now. Your security is Hak Yeon’s responsibility. Miss Wong came by the lunch time and told me to keep an eye on you for the time being.”

“Lunch time? What time is it?” Taek Woon noticed the clock and nearly left the bed when Jae Hwan stopped them.

“Hong Bin said your house is a ruckus, and smell trackers. They may be after you.” Jae Hwan’s hold was firm but Taek Woon struggle didn’t fad.

“My job…” A voice in the door paused the two men, and Jae Hwan left Taek Woon’s side to peak as Won Shik rushed to take an unconscious body to the bathtub.

“What happened to Hyuk?” Jae Hwan rushed to their side as they filled the bathtub with water. Jae Hwan paled at the bruises in the man’s face, the deep looking wounds. “Oh my baby. Who did this to our baby?” He looked up to Won Shik’s face which seemed torn between guilt and anger.

“They attacked him while we picked Hong Bin in that man’s place.” Won Shik’s voice shook. “He threw himself on the trackers to let us escape.” Jae Hwan pulled Won Shik to a hug, trying to sooth the man’s pain. Meanwhile, Taek Woon was standing by the door and noticed it filled with blood. He soon noticed a lifeless Hong Bin walking ahead.

“Why did you go to my place? It was dangerous.” He shook Hong Bin’s shoulders only to get a sob. “Hong Bin…”

“I didn’t expect them to be waiting for us there. I thought… that if they knew that we escaped they will leave the area and that I can fetch your clothes.”

“The hell with my clothes!” Taek Woon shook Hong Bin’s shoulders again. “I rather stay for the rest of my life than to see you risk your life, your brother’s life for useless stuff!” Taek Woon’s voice rose in octaves. “They don’t worth it, ok? Nothing worth your life and your friend’s life.” Taek Woon’s body shook as he sat down. “Nothing.”

They heard coughs in the bathtub and even Taek Woon rushed to see Sang Hyuk sitting up, gasping for air while his bruises and wounds disappeared. Jae Hwan and Won Shik rested their cheeks on his, hugging him. “God! I thought I lost you.” Won Shik sobbed. “Never do that again.”

“I’m invincible, Hyung.” Sang Hyuk chuckled. “As long as it is raining outside, nothing would happen to me.” Hong Bin sat by the bathtub side trying part them away.

“Let’s go rest now, ok? It had been a long day for us.” Hong Bin suggested. “Hak Yeon Hyung will show up, and we don’t need to worry him out.” Won Shik picked Sang Hyuk, who much to Taek Woon’s shock was dry, and took him silently to his room, Jae Hwan led Taek Woon down to eat, while Hong Bin made sure the bathroom was spotless.

“Hong Bin hates mess, he always like to find things in its right place.” Jae Hwan commented as he noticed Taek Woon looking back to the bathroom’s door.

“Seeing Sang Hyuk I guess he is gifted with water.” Jae Hwan nodded. “I wonder what my gift is if I’m gifted too.” Jae Hwan paused to look at Taek Woon in the eyes, seriousness eating them.

“The only way for you to know is to face a danger.” Jae Hwan sighed. “However, facing the danger is a hard task.” Taek Woon nodded as he sat in the table, while Jae Hwan served him food. They said no word as the three others rested. Hak Yeon got in few moments after that but the others soon acted normal around him while Taek Woon had a serious expression on.

“I want to go back to my apartment.” Hak Yeon and the others looked at him, shocked. “The only way for me to know who I am is on facing those trackers so I’ll do it.” Hong Bin nearly spoke. “Alone.”

“Are you sure about it?” Taek Woon nodded at Hak Yeon’s question and the man sighed since he had nothing to say. “Ok. You can go.” Taek Woon stood to leave while none of them could disobey Hak Yeon in his presence.  Once out, Taek Woon was shaken by the sensation of creepiness wrapping his heart. He never feared as he did right then, but he kept himself emotionless. He walked for a while before noticing that the station was crowded with strange people wearing the same cloak, the same woolen sharp, and the same hat. It made him look down to his feet, shaken with fear. The train didn’t make time to show up and he did look up in the glass door to notice the hideous face the people had. Trackers!

He looked down and walked ahead to sit when some sat by his side. They said nothing, nor touched him, so he nearly frowned to it. Why aren’t they attacking me? I am not a mere human. Or maybe they don’t know? He was relieved that they didn’t follow him once he left the train. The walk back home seemed calm and relaxing when as he got in his house, the phone rang.

He was scared for a moment but then picked it up. “Hyung!” Hong Bin’s panicking voice made Taek Woon’s knees feel weak. “They managed to break the time loop and attack us! Don’t go back, ok? We will fetch you.”

“I’m in my building.” Taek Woon ended the call and picked a bag with as much as he could fit in. He picked his devices, made sure his bag had everything when he noticed the same men standing around the building but for some odd reason nobody moved when he walked by their side. He was literally bumping into them, but they just bow to him and walk away. Strange.

However, once Hong Bin and the others showed up in a small van, the men looked at the car and tried to open the door, break the glass. Shocked that they didn’t attack him but the others instead, Taek Woon froze there. “HYUNG!” He picked his bags and made his way to the car as he noticed the windows broken and a glass of water protected the men up. They were shocked when he opened the trunk door. “Hyung… what the ?”

They noticed it too. The trackers didn’t touch an inch of Taek Woon, so he slowly made his way to the door, opened it, and got in. “Drive!” The order went out like a scream of panic from what they thought the calmest man they ever saw. Taek Woon noticed that they followed the car.

“How come they didn’t touch you?” Won Shik looked at Hak Yeon and Jae Hwan who were in the front seats. “You said he was gifted like us?”

“He is!” Hak Yeon yelled in annoyance. “I don’t have answers for it.” Hong Bin kept his eyes on Taek Woon meanwhile, when Jae Hwan stopped the car in abrupt which made Taek Woon wake up from his shocked state.

“We are ambushed again.” Taek Woon noticed that they were out of the city and surrounded by the hideous men again. “They are too many. They stopped the car.” The car was suddenly pushed back, and then nearly thrown in the side. Taek Woon in his fear held on the door and the men left the car’s side. “What the ?” It felt like they got a sudden silent order and they froze. “What happened to them?” Hak Yeon looked toward Taek Woon noticing his scared expression.

“He stopped them.” The remark made the three men in the back eye Taek Woon suspiciously. “Let’s drive to the Jung’s house.” Jung Yunho was one of the most protected gifted men because he created the time loops where many gifted men lived peacefully.

Once he saw Taek Woon, he stopped Hak Yeon before getting in. “He can’t get in.” His order made Taek Woon step back, wrapping his arms around his body while he shook in unending fear. “His power is bigger than I can allow.”

“Bigger? Bigger than us all combined?” Hyuk asked while Hong Bin went to stay by Taek Woon’s side.

“Are you ok, Hyung?” Taek Woon shook his head.

Hong Bin didn’t know what to say more so he patted on Taek Woon’s back. “I was so scared. When I saw them in the subway station, I was so scared.” Taek Woon looked at Hong Bin and the man blinked at how heavy the emotion in Taek Woon’s eyes was. “But they didn’t touch me and even step aside for me… I don’t know why it scares me more than getting attacked by them.”

“Yunho Hyung thinks you are too powerful.” It snapped Taek Woon’s eyes toward Hong Bin. “Maybe this is why they avoid you?” His tone was hopeful but Taek Woon stepped away from Hong Bin as doubts ate him alive. “Hyung…”

“Don’t get near to me.” Taek Woon hissed at Hong Bin and the last said nothing before observing him shaking in the cold weather. The boys left the house and met Taek Woon who jumped noticing them.

“Are you alright?” Hak Yeon noticed how frightened Taek Woon seemed by then. “Don’t worry. They don’t attack you after all.”

“This is what scares me the most.” Taek Woon said following them to the car.