1/3

Cha Hak Yeon's house of Gifted brothers

Taek Woon lived a calm life, he had his small job in the grocery store, he had his cat, he owned a small studio since he was sixteen that he finished paying for its price few years now, and he had nobody to disturb his peace. Nobody.

His own parents were calm and even when they visit him often, they rarely speak loud or long about something. They eat together every day and each go his way.

Yet, it bore him to death. Even music stopped making him feel happy, so he rarely listens to it. In a cold night of January, as snow covered the streets, Taek Woon left the store with cold hands, and he barely managed to walk. “I should have taken something warm with me this morning.” He mumbled to himself when he noticed something off. A man was running toward him, in that empty street, wearing shorts, a torn shirt and nothing else. Nothing else! Taek Woon held him before he could go far.

“Let me go! Please let me go!” The man was panicking, covered with bruises, and struggled to free himself but Taek Woon swore the man had no energy.

“Take my shirt.” Taek Woon’s soft voice was unheard, so he said that again and louder. “Take my shirt!” The man paused as Taek Woon strip out of his woolen pullover and covered him with it. “It’s too cold to be .” The warmness he used was unusual for him so he blushed. He helped the man on wearing the pullover and stepped back. “I live in this building.” Taek Woon pointed to the building. “House N°5. You can give it back to me later, ok?” The man nodded, still stunned. Taek Woon hugged himself as he rushed without another word to his studio. He felt like he could freeze to death as he reached the door and had hard time dealing the security code with his frozen fingers. He run directly to the bathroom and got a hot shower. He walked out wrapping his body in a bathrobe and two towels before making himself a cup of tea.

It was as the tea was done that he felt tiny knocks in the door. He walked to it and noticed the man, more frozen than before. “I need help… Please.” Taek Woon pulled him inside and led him to the only chair he had before offering him the tea he just made. “I’m sorry for asking you this but I need to hide for the night.”

“I can see that.” Taek Woon said coldly, which is usual for him but shocked the man a little. “Get a hot shower; it’s the door in the right.” The man blinked at him and tried to stand but was so numb to move. Taek Woon wrapped the man’s waist and helped him getting in. “A Hot shower.” Taek Woon said before leaving the man standing there.

It took the man few minutes before leaving the shower with a towel in his waist. It made Taek Woon blink before looking away blushing. “Thank you for the help. I nearly froze.” The man’s smile showed small dimples as Taek Woon dared to look at him. “I’m Lee Hong Bin.”

“Jung Taek Woon.” Taek Woon offered a small smile. “Here the bathrobe, don’t stay .” Hong Bin accepted it with a smile and wore it before noticing the small house.

“You live alone.” Taek Woon nodded. “Lucky, I wish I could but I’m stuck to live with my brothers.” Hong Bin froze. “Oh my god! My Hyung will freak out but I lost my phone, and I didn’t even tell him where I was heading today.”

“How about your parents?” Taek Woon asked him suddenly and Hong Bin froze. It was surprising how sad the man looked.

“The trackers managed to find them and kill them.” Hong Bin looked up. “Those who were after me today were who killed my parents, like my brothers parents so we lived together so that we can protect each other.” Taek Woon sat in the bed, shocked to hear so. “They aren’t my real brothers but we treat each other as much.”

“I see.” Taek Woon looked away, worried before picking his phone. “Call them.” Hong Bin softly held the phone and bowed to Taek Woon as he made the call.

“Hi, Hyuk. I’m fine.” Hong Bin paled. “What? Call him back home, ok? I’m fine. I’m with a nice Hyung, he allowed me to hide for the night.” Taek Woon blushed as he was called nice. “Ok, call Hak Yeon Hyung back home. I was attacked by the trackers earlier, but I managed to escape.” Hong Bin blinked absently looking ahead. “Please, Hyuk, make sure he’s back home. Yes, good night.”

He handed the phone to Taek Woon. “Any troubles?”

“The eldest Hyung went out looking for me.” Taek Woon noticed how worried Hong Bin looked and he stood to lead him to bed. “What…”

“You need to recover for your Hyung’s sake.” Taek Woon covered him up. “I’ll make us some ramyun. Up for it?” Hong Bin nodded but Taek Woon could feel how worried he was. Hong Bin finished the meal and made himself small in the bed where Taek Woon covered him up and pulled a futon. “Let’s sleep, ok?”

“Can you… sleep with me instead?” Hong Bin’s voice shook. “I feel a little cold.” Taek Woon blinked as he stood to turn the light off and nearly made it to the bed when his phone rang. He picked the unknown number and answered it.

“Hello?” He heard a frightening breathing in the other side. “Hello?” He didn’t know why he ended the call without much thought and fast pulled a dozing off Hong Bin on his feet.

“What is going on?” Hong Bin didn’t have time to think as Taek Woon threw him pants, boots and shirt. “Hyung?”

“Hurry up.” Taek Woon’s heart was beating as fast as he wore warm clothes. Hong Bin fast wore his too before being pulled to the emergency exit, leaving behind his phone, but making sure he got everything else.

“What happened?” Hong Bin tried to talk the man out of it but Taek Woon landed a finger on the man’s lips before gesturing him to keep quiet. Hong Bin nodded and they sneaked out before heading somewhere aimlessly. “Where are we going?” Taek Woon held his hand and pulled him to walk ahead.

“To your place.” Hong Bin blinked at it but had no idea of what saying. “Let’s just leave the area first.” He soon noticed that they got in the subway station. He followed the man to the map and stood there studying the station. “Where is the nearest subway stop?” Hong Bin noticed how far he was from home when he pointed in a far point. “Ok.” Taek Woon paid for him and brought him a ticket. They took the subway, sitting there awkwardly in the cold silence. Hong Bin dozed off for a moment while Taek Woon’s alert eyes kept observing the few people in the train. He subtly held on Hong Bin, hoping with his heart that nobody will hurt them.

Reaching Hong Bin’s house was another story, as they left the station, the sky had broken loose and they were soaked wet with rain within few minutes. Yet, Hong Bin was beyond tired to care, and Taek Woon tried his best to not freak out. He finally froze making Hong Bin bump on him. “Here?” Hong Bin looked up and scanned the area before sleepily heading home, followed by Taek Woon. Once at the door, Taek Woon freaked out. How the hell did he know all of this? How the hell he managed to get a sleepy Hong Bin to his place? How did he know they were in danger? How?

Suddenly someone opened the door and Taek Woon jumped back as three men crushed on Hong Bin, loudly, waking the sleepy man up. They pulled him up when a sleepy guy nearly closed the door before noticing Taek Woon. “Get in.” Taek Woon stood by the front door, taking his shoes off, and waiting for someone to notice.

“How did you show up here? What happened?” A voice said loudly enough for Taek Woon to hear as the man peaked. Hong Bin blinked to them before looking around.

“Where is the Hyung who was with me?” Hong Bin asked and they all looked at the front door area when Taek Woon shyly made his way to their sight and bowed.

“I’m Jung Taek Woon. Sorry for bothering you in such late night.” One of them rushed to lead him to a sofa, looking worried and gleefully thankful.

“No! No, you didn’t bother us. Thank you for taking care of our Hong Binnie.” He said with a smile. “I’m Hak Yeon; the eldest of this small family, here is Jae Hwan, Won Shik and Sang Hyuk.” The men bowed to Taek Woon but didn’t leave Hong Bin’s side. “It was the first time Hong Bin leave our side on his own… you don’t know how thankful I am he found you to help him out.”

“I saw him running in the street, with shorts and a torn shirt so I handed him my pullover.” Taek Woon explained, as he blushed at the sudden attention Hak Yeon offered him. “Then he showed up in my place, I made him shower and I gave him warm ramyun to warm up.”

“Then?” Hak Yeon encouraged him to continue but Taek Woon was lost. “What happened?”

“I got a call from an unknown number.” Taek Woon admitted. “They said nothing… but they kept breathing… and I freaked out.” Hak Yeon observed him for a moment.

“You sensed danger, isn’t it?” Taek Woon nodded at that and Hak Yeon sighed nodding. “I’m thankful you got such good sense. I am sure they managed to know where he was.” Hak Yeon stood up. “It means also you are in danger too.”

“Why would trackers attack him? He’s a mere human.” Won Shik asked the eldest who paused.

He looked at the men who observed him curiously before looking at Taek Woon. “No mere human can see the house or get in.” The remark made Hong Bin gap at Taek Woon, shocked. “I’ll call Miss. Wong. We need her wisdom in such situation.”

As Hak Yeon left, Taek Woon noticed their eyes on him and he uncomfortably shifted. “We have a spare bed, for visitors.” Sang Hyuk offered. “You should be tired by now, isn’t it? Let me lead you.” He stood to face the others. “Let us all go to bed now.”

“I have to work tomorrow morning.” Taek Woon shook his head, declining the offer. “I’ll leave now.”

“You can’t.” Hong Bin rushed to his side before he could move. “At least not until Miss Wong sees you. I’m sure she won’t make long.” Hong Bin said with a reassuring smile. “You had done a lot to me and I can’t let you down now when you are in danger.”

“Because of you.” Taek Woon ended the phrase with a not that amused expression.

Hong Bin pouted to him, giving him a kicked puppy look. “Because of me.” Taek Woon nearly closed his eyes but a movement outside the window made him stiffen, what is it?”

“Turn off the lights; Now.” The boys ran to turn off the light. “Where is your eldest?” Hak Yeon showed up suddenly and Taek Woon faced the window, alarmed. “I saw something out the window.” He took off his clothes, checking and rechecking his pockets, and even ran to his boot. “How did they notice us getting around?”

“They can’t see the house, and even if they get in, all they see is an empty abandoned house.” Hak Yeon reassured Taek Woon. “Unless we allow them, they can’t get in. They came here often, already, which made me think they got stronger.”

Taek Woon stood there, his heart beating fast when the shadow crossed the window again and Taek Woon gasped in horror. The hideous face he saw was beyond Taek Woon’s imagination and he felt his body goes limp. “Hyung?”

He shushed them, shaken. “He’s here.” He pointed to the window with his chin.  “He crossed it again.” Taek Woon slowly stepped back before meeting Hong Bin’s hands and nearly shrank when hands landed on his mouth.

“They can’t see us inside the house but they can definitely hear us if you scream.” Won Shik warned him. “Let’s go to bed. They won’t sense us if we sleep.” Taek Woon nodded and by instinct held on Hong Bin who led him to an empty room. The room was nice and the bed looked fluffy and comfortable but Taek Woon was alert.

“Sleep, Hyung. They will give up.” Hong Bin soothed as he pushed Taek Woon to sleep. “Once we get inside, they can’t reach us.” Taek Woon looked at him with wide scared eyes. “What?”

“The sensation of danger is not fading, Hong Bin.” Taek Woon’s soft voice shook and Hong Bin found himself shivering at that. He took off his clothes and got in the bed with Taek Woon, hugging each other only for Hong Bin to notice how shivering the man was.

Hong Bin worried and observed at the man tried to sleep without saying a word, it was the first time he truly observed the man’s face, noticing how beautiful he was. Hong Bin blushed realizing that he was feeling weird at the closeness, while he slept countless times with his brothers and friends. He closed his eyes, relaxing the best he could.

Taek Woon sat up suddenly, shocked, and Hong Bin nearly fell from the bed but he wrapped his arms around Taek Woon. “Someone got inside the house.” Hong Bin’s spin got a sudden electroshock and he left the bed when Taek Woon held him back. “Stay.” He observed as Taek Woon left the bed, slowly making his way out. His steps were light, nearly unheard, but he soon was ambushed by a black shadow when a woman showed up from within.

“Who are you? Where is Hak Yeon?” the woman seemed hostile and nearly Taek Woon screamed if he didn’t find his legs leading the way, running back to Hong Bin’s side. Hong Bin was surprised when Taek Woon pushed him behind. “Lee Hong Bin, can you explain?”

“Relax, Hyung. It’s Miss Wong.” Taek Woon didn’t seem to relax at all, as he held Hong Bin firmly behind. “He kept sensing danger since we left his place.”

“Sense?” The woman looked from Hong Bin to Taek Woon. “You can see them, don’t you? The trackers, you see their hideous face.” Taek Woon nodded and Hong Bin blinked before understanding.

“You see their true face?” Hong Bin made Taek Woon look at him before looking at the woman. “I’ve never seen someone who can.” The woman smiled before stepping back as Hong Bin pulled Taek Woon to Hak Yeon’s bed, the man had the bed in the ceiling, as Hak Yeon floated there. “HYUNG!” Hak Yeon jumped in surprise before noticing the woman.

“Miss Wong, I didn’t expect you this soon.” It seemed making Taek Woon glare at the woman even more. Hak Yeon pulled himself down before wearing sneakers. “I’m glad you are here. Hong Bin got attacked by trackers today again.”

“And like usual, he managed to escape.” The woman said caressing Hong Bin when the man got pulled back by Taek Woon. “This man doesn’t seem to let his guard down even with me around.” She chuckled before facing Hak Yeon. “They are getting stronger lately, I got few houses in alert because they lost their brothers.” Hak Yeon paled and sat down in a chair in the middle of the empty floor. “I think you should stay locked for few weeks or leave this time loop to another.”

Hak Yeon shook his head, absently looking at Taek Woon. “I can’t leave this time loop. Hyuk is studying, we have jobs, and we grew used to this city.” Hak Yeon looked at the woman. “I just want to know who he is.” He pointed at Taek Woon who flinched. “You said nobody except from the peculiars can get in the time loop.” Taek Woon froze at that.

“He is a peculiar, but I don’t truly see what he is exactly. He seems pretty normal to me.” The woman said as she studied Taek Woon closer. “However, he has a very alert sense of danger, which can help you guys to survive and he sees them.” Hak Yeon paled at the realization. “Then maybe you landed on a walking shield.”

“A walking shield like Jong Soo? He conceals our powers when we are around.” Hong Bin asked her worriedly and held Taek Woon before making a small ball of air in his hand. “Still working.” Taek Woon was too shocked to even show an emotion. He kept his face emotionless and his mouth shut.

“I just guessed, and your friend is not truly aware of who he is.” The woman said as the smoke surrounded her. “I suggest you to be really careful, and to teach your new friend how to live with you all. Stay safe, I won’t be absent for too long.” The woman turned into black smoke and left the house in swift move while Taek Woon lost conscience. Too much to handle at once.