Not Who She Thinks She Is

Not Who You Think She Is

I know the real Wendy, but Wendy thinks she knows herself the best.

 

***

 

Wendy doesn’t think she gets a tad bit overly passionate during my games.

 

See that girl unintentionally choking Seulgi with her tiny, frustrated hands? That’s my girlfriend, Son Wendy.

 

“Yah! Referee, do your damn job properly! That was clearly a penalty! Dammit, I hate that guy!”

 

I could hear Wendy’s normally soft-spoken voice turn gruff, loud and upset even with a dozen feet squeaking against the floorboards.

 

“Wendy is riled up today, isn’t she?” Joy chuckles and pats my shoulder as I dribble the ball across the court.

 

“Yeah, it makes her even cuter.” I smile to myself and shoot.  The basketball flies, curving and bouncing into the hoop just as the buzzer goes off.

 

“Whoo! We won!” Joy throws her arms around me as we squeal excitedly with our teammates.

 

I look over Joy’s shoulders to find the currently calm and passive Wendy make her way towards me as if she wasn’t just cursing her head off on the bleachers just a few minutes ago.

 

“Congratulations, you guys, I knew you could do it. Wasn’t surprised at all.” Wendy nods her head at my teammates before smiling adorably at me. Oh, please, you sailor.

 

Unable to stop myself, I grin widely as I walk up to her and wrap my arms around her waist. Heat and sweat surrounds us.

 

“You stink, Joohyun.” Wendy mumbles disgustedly, wanting to squirm free but I only pull her tighter and bury my sweaty face on her shoulder, despite knowing that she dislikes it when I get my sweat on her. Deal with it, Son.

 

“Thanks for being our personal cheerleader, but I could’ve done without you going all gung-ho on the sidelines. Not to mention the swearing. Baby, there are children present.”

 

Gasping, Wendy tilts her head back in shock. “What are you talking about? I didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

I give her a knowing look along with my teammates. I’m pretty sure even people outside of the gym had heard Wendy.

 

***

 

Wendy doesn’t think she’s dense. She’s even called herself a people-reader just because she once attended a psychology class.

 

 “Nam Taehyun does not have feelings for me. We’re just friends, Joohyun. There’s no need to be insecure since I love only you.”

 

“You’ll only kiss me too, right? And hug me? And think of me? Only me, right Seungwan?” I know I sound pathetic and anxious, but I don’t trust that Taehyun. I’ve seen the way he looks at her, and it’s clearly not platonic.

 

“Yes, only you, babe.” Wendy rolls her eyes and pecks my pouting lips. “Trust me. Tonight we’re just going to work on our project, then I’ll be home within the hour. Promise.”

 

Pleased with her words, I allow my ‘people-reading’ girlfriend to enter the library before walking back to our shared apartment.

 

It’s barely been thirty minutes when I hear the door opening and find Wendy storming in with her cheeks fiery red.

 

“Hey, what’s up?” I sit up from the couch just as Wendy suddenly hops into my lap and sighs deeply against my neck.

 

“You were right, okay? Taehyun does have feelings for me.”

 

“H-How do you know?”

 

Peeking her guilt-stricken head out, she nibbles on her lower lip. “Don’t be mad, but he… kind of… k-kissed me?”

 

“What!” I’m not mad, I’m beyond that—I’m furious, and possibly murderous.

 

“Joohyun, calm down, please! I took care of it, so there’s no need for you to be thinking up ways to murder him.”

 

In an instant, my body slumps back onto the couch. “And how did you take care of it.” Depending on the answer, I am going to decide if I need to hurt Taehyun or not.

 

Giving me a shy but proud smile, she says, “Kicked him in the privates. From the way he was crying, I’m pretty sure he was in a great deal of pain.”

 

For once, Wendy has correctly read Taehyun’s feelings to the tee.

 

***

 

Wendy doesn’t think we should get married.

 

When did she decide this? Right before we are supposed to walk down the aisle.

 

“I’ve seen the way my parents were before they got a divorce. That could be us, Joohyun. Maybe not now, but years from now. And I don’t want to grow to hate you in the future.”

 

“That will never happen. You love me too much to hate me.” I confidently say, hoping to get a smile out of her, but she just looks away with trembling lips.

 

“I—I do, Joohyun. I love you so much. But it’s not me that I’m worried about, it’s you. What if you realize I’m not enough for you? What if you end up hating me?” Tears finally trickle down Wendy’s milky cheeks, and I hug her before she can say another painful word.

 

These words don’t sound like my Son Wendy. They sound like my grandparents, which means they must’ve spoken to her when I wasn’t around.

 

“I love you.” I try to reassure her, but Wendy doesn’t move from her statue-like position. She’s still uncertain about a marriage with me, so I force her to make a decision in the only way that I know how. “So what now then? Do you want to call the wedding off? We could break up now, and maybe later in the future we can be friends. And after we’ve seen other people, maybe you can come to my wedding and I can come to yours.”

 

“Bae Joohyun, don’t you dare.” The intense, jealous fire in Wendy’s eyes is now ignited. “I’ll kidnap you before you even think about seeing someone else.”

 

I smile at the girl I fell in love with. “If you don’t want me with anyone else, then you only have one other choice. Show the world that I’m yours, Son Seungwan.”

 

The gentle, shy smile returns to Wendy’s glowing face as she takes my hand and asks, “Will you marry me, Bae Joohyun?”

 

In the privacy of our dressing room, I responded with happy tears.

 

And then in front of all our guests, we both said, “I do” followed by a short but sweet pg-rated kiss, since this time, Wendy remembered that there are children watching.

 

Seeing how much my wife, Bae Wendy has grown, I hope in the near future, she ‘doesn’t think’ she’s ready for babies.

 


Thanks for commenting, upvoting, and subscribing(those of you that still subscribed even though it was 'completed' heh). I thought I'd twist the idea a bit, hope I didn't ruin it for those of you that have read and liked the first chapter xD