trouble is coming

a study in greetings

Jieqiong has a habit of being spontaneous. Sometimes, it's cute; like the time she jumped at the chance to buy Nayoung a bouquet of flowers from a vendor as they were walking down the street on their way to dinner. But sometimes, her spontaneity can be a bit reckless at the very least and absolutely disastrous at the very most. Like now.

 

Nayoung stares at the dog and the dog stares back at her with it’s bright, beady eyes. Absolutely adorable. And disgusting. The puppy is cute, with its light brown fur and wagging tail, but Nayoung’s itchy nose can smell trouble. And by trouble, she means allergies. “I named him Jian Dui,” Jieqiong says proudly as she gently pets the dog’s head.

 

“Like the pastry?” Nayoung’s stare hardens. Not because she hates the name or the dog but her eyes are starting to water and she can’t let Jieqiong see that.

 

“Yeah!” It’s only been two minutes but from the way Jieqiong looks at the puppy so adoringly, Nayoung can already tell that Jieqiong is absolutely in love with it.

 

“That’s… great.” Nayoung reaches out to pet the dog to emphasize her point but her fingers twitch back at the very last moment. Feeling Jieqiong’s eyes heavy on her, Nayoung reaches out a little further and hesitantly pets the dog. She holds back a sigh; this is going to bite her in the later.

 

.

 

And it does. Nayoung sneezes all the way to the doctor’s office even though she’s nowhere near the cute pastry puppy and its satan fur. “You should really just tell your girlfriend that you’re allergic,” the doctor advises. Nayoung shrugs and the doctor sighs. She writes the prescription for allergy medication anyways.

 

.

 

Nayoung comes home after work one day and stops when she doesn’t hear any barking. It’s not until a couple of moments later that she realizes that she hasn’t felt the urge to sneeze at all. “Jieqiong?” she calls out.

 

Jieqiong walks out from their bedroom with a smile on her face. “Hey, welcome home.”

 

“Hi,” Nayoung replies back absentmindedly. “Where’s Jian Dui?”

 

“What? Missing him already?” Jieqiong teases, wrapping an arm around Nayoung’s waist. Nayoung makes a soft, noncommittal noise as she hugs Jieqiong back, resting her chin on the top of the younger girl’s head. “Your doctor was right, you know,” Jieqiong starts and Nayoung freezes. She pulls back from the hug to see Jieqiong looking at her with an unreadable expression on her face. “You should’ve just told me you were allergic.” Jieqiong smiles- a bit bitterly- to herself. “And all this time I thought you were coming down with a cold.”

 

“Sorry,” Nayoung says, Jieqiong’s cheek with apologetic fingers. “You seemed to really be in love with Jian Dui and I didn’t want to ruin that for you.”

 

“Silly,” Jieqiong admonishes, poking Nayoung in the stomach. “I love you more.”

 

.

 

“Whatever happened to Jian Dui?” Nayoung asks later.

 

“I gave him to Minkyung,” Jieqiong replies. “She’s always wanted a dog. Why? Do you miss him already?”

 

Nayoung shrugs. “He was cute.” A contemplative look settles on Jieqiong’s face and before Nayoung can wonder about what she’s thinking, the younger girl distracts her completely by launching herself at Nayoung, teasing her for missing a puppy named after a pastry.

 

.

 

“So,” Jieqiong starts and Nayoung looks up. Recently, it never seems like a good thing whenever Jieqiong starts a conversation. “I got us another pet.” Nayoung was right on the money. Trouble is coming.

 

“Uh,” Nayoung says smartly. There’s no way that this could go well.

 

But then Jieqiong pulls out a dog plushie from behind her back with a cute “Ta-dah!” and Nayoung has never been more happy to be wrong. The dog plushie is cute- with its light brown fur and cheerful demeanor- but Nayoung can’t help but set it aside as she kisses Jieqiong in thanks.

 
 
A/N: Just a short little ficlet because puppies are cute and NaPink are cute. I hope you guys enjoy and as always, please comment/upvote/subscribe! 
 
Disclaimer: Nayoung isn't actually allergic to dogs in real life (but Doyeon is lol).