a lesson in romance

a study in greetings

Nayoung leans back against the wall, playing with the straps of her backpack, as she waits for Hyojung to get out of class. She feels a bit out of place in her high school uniform and can’t help but want to hide every time a college student passes her by and does a double take to look at her. But luckily, Hyojung’s class gets out in that moment and the aforementioned girl is one of the first ones to walk out the door. Hyojung looks every bit the glorious college student that she is, in a light blue button-up and white shorts. Nayoung can’t help but become a bit starry-eyed at the sight.  “Nayoung-ah,” Hyojung calls out with a cheerful wave and a bright smile on her face.

 

Nayoung returns the wave and smile with her own- albeit a bit smaller and more shy. “Unni,” she greets. Once the older girl is in front of her, Hyojung curls fingers around the back of Nayoung’s neck in a familiar motion and pulls her down into a kiss. Nayoung ducks her head once they break the kiss, and presses a flustered hand to her cheek. How embarrassing. To make it even worse, Hyojung’s friends are there. “Robbing the cradle there, Hyojung-ah?” one of them teases playfully.

 

“With how tall Nayoung is, don’t you think it’s the other way around?” the other friend jests, but Hyojung just ignores the both of them, instead focusing on Nayoung with bright eyes.

 

“Did you wait long?” Hyojung asks, reaching upwards to tuck a strand of her behind Nayoung’s ear. She waves her friends off, telling them to go ahead without her and that she’ll see them tomorrow.

 

“Only about 15 minutes,” Nayoung answers, and can’t help the small, shy smile that graces her face as Hyojung slips her hand into Nayoung’s, interlacing their fingers. Their joined hands swing as they walk to the exit of the college together.

 

.

 

“What do you want to eat?” Hyojung asks later, as they’re walking down the streets.

 

Nayoung has an immediate reply that almost slips out, but she purses her lips and clamps down on the automatic answer. “... I’m not that hungry,” she eventually says, but Nayoung has never been that great of a liar, even with her severe poker face. And even if she was, Hyojung knows her well enough to see straight through her.

 

“Not even for jokbal?” Hyojung asks knowingly, a sunny smile on her face- as always.

 

“...No.”

 

“Really?” Hyojung’s questions are accusing in any shape or form but Nayoung can’t help but fidget at them anyways.

 

“Jokbal isn’t romantic,” she hesitantly explains, looking away. Nayoung has always thought herself as a bit more mature in comparison to her peers, but in that exact moment, she can’t help but think that she’s a bit silly for saying that.

 

“Ahh, so this is what this is all about,” Hyojung says in realization. “You know I don’t care about these types of things, Nayoung-ah,” she continues, rubbing her thumb against the skin of Nayoung’s hand in a comforting motion. “The only thing that matters is that you’re happy.”

 

Nayoung immediately looks away bashfully, instead choosing to watch the vendors work their various food stalls. Hyojung laughs- not meanly (Nayoung is 150% sure that Hyojung doesn’t have a mean bone in her body.) “So definitely no jokbal?” Hyojung asks after a while.

 

Nayoung shakes her head no. “Let’s do something romantic for once,” Nayoung says, a bit shyly. “Like something from the movies.”

 

Hyojung runs a hand through her hair as she contemplates what to do before nodding to herself. “Okay,” she says finally and immediately begins tugging Nayoung towards a completely different direction. “Let’s go to the grocery store. I’m going to cook for you.”

 

.

 

Nayoung has always considered herself a very practical, down to Earth person, but there’s something about Hyojung that brings out the romantic in her and makes her imagination run wild. And now, as Hyojung walks in front of her, pushing a shopping cart, Nayoung can’t help but imagine what their relationship is going to be like a couple of years in the future: she imagines them living together, shopping for groceries together every weekend, cooking dinner together over candlelight and glasses of wine, and lightly slaps her cheeks a couple of times to bring herself back to reality. It’s never good to get so far ahead of herself.

 

“Nayoung-ah.” Hyojung’s voice snaps Nayoung out of her daze and the younger girl looks up to see Hyojung standing in front of one of the shelves with an obvious pout on her face. Cute. “I can’t reach it,” Hyojung whines as she points to the object she wants. After Nayoung grabs the box and puts it into their cart, Hyojung tiptoes upwards and presses a kiss against Nayoung’s cheek. The kiss itself was quick, and it’s actually quite a common occurrence considering how generous Hyojung is with skinship, but it still leaves Nayoung’s mind a jumbled mess. She likes Hyojung’s kisses way too much for her own good.

 

“So what are you going to cook?” Nayoung later asks.

 

“Italian is considered romantic, right?” Hyojung says, studiously looking at the tomatoes.

 

Nayoung immediately flashes back to a cartoon movie she watched as a kid- one with dogs and a long strand of spaghetti noodle and a kiss, and her mind crashes into pieces once more. “Y-yeah,” she eventually stutters out.

 

.

 

It ends up being pizza that Hyojung makes, and not the spaghetti Nayoung had fantasized about. Hyojung by no means is a superbly amazing cook, but she knows her way around the kitchen well enough and the pizza itself had been pretty enjoyable. But what Nayoung enjoyed more, however, was watching Hyojung work the dough and cut the vegetables, a cute furrow appearing between her eyebrows as she concentrates. It’s not the candles or the soft music in the background that made the date, Nayoung thinks, it’s in moments like Hyojung thanking her with a bright smile as Nayoung helped her chop up the vegetables, or Hyojung wiping away a bit of tomato sauce Nayoung had gotten on the corner of , or Hyojung letting Nayoung take a sip of the red wine she had lying around her apartment (“But only a sip!” Hyojung had warned, but Nayoung finds that red wine is a lot more enjoyable when she tastes it in Hyojung’s kisses, and not from a glass.), or just Hyojung, Hyojung, Hyojung. Nayoung realizes that it’s not the setting that makes a date, but rather the person she’s with, and that makes Nayoung all the more grateful that the person she fell in love with is Hyojung.

 

A/N: I swear that this isn't solely a IOI/Oh My Girl ficlet collection. I wrote this without any proofreading so please excuse any grammatical errors or poorly written sentences/paragraphs/chapters. Anyways, enjoy and as always, please comment!