Four

Let's Not Fall in Love

“Are you alright, Mr. Lee?”

Jaehwan flinched in surprise at the soft touch of Taekwoon’s hand on his arm. Jaehwan had barely registered the question, partly because it was asked in such a soft voice and partly because he hadn’t been paying attention.

Taekwoon had been pitching the company’s new project for the last ten minutes but had halted his conversation with Minjun and was now eyeing Jaehwan with a concerned expression.

Jaehwan hadn’t realized he’d been holding his breath and he suddenly noticed the sweat perspiring behind his neck and down his back.

“Y-yes, I’m fine! I apologize for causing an interruption.” Jaehwan bowed his head and tried to brush off the unwanted attention with a laugh but only managed a meek smile instead.

Jaehwan kept his eyes down, his hands suddenly becoming very interesting, and without even looking he could feel the smirk radiating off of Minjun’s face.

He wasn’t sure if he was more angry or scared at being face-to-face with Minjun. He hated him with all his might, but he also knew Minjun could easily sabotage his new career by letting Taekwoon, or worse—showing­ Taekwoon what happened during their time at Deep Blue Inc.

No matter how much Jaehwan loathed Minjun, he knew he’d have to behave carefully to ensure no one at Jelpi found out about his past. Jaehwan couldn’t handle having a repeat of what happened last time, especially not with people he had actually grown to like. It would devastate him more than he could imagine.

As Jaehwan was mentally dealing with his turmoil, Taekwoon was giving Jaehwan another look-over and didn’t believe for a second Jaewhan was alright. Taekwoon could tell Jaehwan was upset for some reason, but Jaehwan obviously didn’t want to discuss anything at the moment. He decided to let it go for now and restarted his discussion with Minjun while subtly pushing a glass of water over to Jaehwan.

Jaehwan chugged the water down, happy for a brief distraction and willed himself to get back into work-mode.  He began following along with the discussion and when Minjun directed a question his way Jaehwan was proud at how normal he was able to answer.

It was a huge relief to Jaehwan when the meeting was finally coming to an end. Taekwoon was able to fully explain Jelpi’s new project and it seemed that Deep Blue Inc. would be willing to invest the large amount of money they needed. All that was left was for Minjun to look over some paperwork.

Taekwoon could feel the tension leave Jaehwan’s body as the meeting wrapped up and was curious to know why Jaehwan was so on edge. Jaehwan was eager to leave but just as Taekwoon was about to hand over the papers, he got a phone call.

“My apologies, I have to take this. Please excuse me for a moment”, Taekwoon stated.

Minjun simply smiled and told him to take his time, leaving Jaehwan and him alone in the meeting room as Taekwoon went outside to answer his call.

A cold sweat began to form over Jaehwan’s body and when he finally got the courage to look Minjun in the eyes all the memories from over a year ago came flooding back.

“Did you hear Jaehwan got fired? Apparently he tried to hit on Minjun to steal the work he was doing. Then he got angry when Minjun was promoted instead!”

“Really? I heard he got fired for hooking up with guys in the restroom.”

“Ugh, I can’t believe he was gay and we didn’t realize it!”

“What if he was checking me out when we used the bathroom together? Gross.”

All the whispers and looks of disgust came rushing back from Jaehwan’s memory. Jaehwan could remember it like it was yesterday. The stares he got as he was packing up his office, all the inappropriate taunts from his male co-workers, and how his friend Jin refused to look at him as he was escorted out of Deep Blue Inc.

Jaehwan felt a wave of nausea come over him and without saying anything he left the room and headed straight to the nearest bathroom, leaving Minjun to sit by himself.

He entered one of the stalls and crouched down with his head between his legs trying to even his breathing. Jaehwan hated that he felt like this. He wanted to be strong, honest, and to stop being so terrified. Stop being so terrified of what others thought. Stop being so terrified of being himself.

When he was finally able to compose himself he decided he should starting making his way back to the meeting room. Jaehwan hoped he was gone long enough for Taekwoon to have come back and finished everything with Minjun so they could just leave.

Unfortunately that wasn’t the case. Once Jaehwan exited his stall he saw Minjun waiting for him near the door.

”What was taking you so long, Jaehwan?”, Minjun sneered. “Was being near me again enough to make you have to relieve yourself in the bathroom?”

Jaehwan scoffed, “Don’t flatter yourself. Get out of my way.”

Jaehwan tried to move around Minjun so he could leave but Minjun decided to block the exit with his whole body.

Minjun smirked and shoved Jaehwan further back in to the restroom. “Tsk, tsk, tsk. Not so fast Jaehwan. We have some catching up to do.”

“I want nothing to do with you. Now move.”

Jaehwan pushed his way to the door but just as be grabbed the handle Minjun uttered, “Should I show your new boss exactly what you’re capable of?”

Jaehwan froze. Damn it. That picture was going to haunt him for the rest of his life.

Jaehwan stood there trying to mull over all the scenarios that could possibly occur. He could just leave, and maybe nothing would happen. Minjun could be bluffing. Maybe he didn’t have that photo anymore—but if he did? Would he really show it to Taekwoon? Would Taekwoon care?

Taekwoon didn’t seem like the type to discriminate against someone for their ual preferences. But hey, Jaehwan hadn’t been the best judge of character so far, so how could he really know?

Minjun had apparently grown impatient with Jaehwan’s inner debate and commanded, “Come over here Jaehwan.”

Jaehwan gripped the door handle harder, determined to leave, but then let go and reluctantly stood in front of Minjun.

Jaehwan was fuming. It took all his strength not to sock Minjun in the face again. And although he was furious at Minjun, he was actually more furious at himself. Why couldn't he just stand up to Minjun?

Minjun grabbed his chin and forced Jaehwan to look at him. “I’ve actually missed having you around lately”, he said as he slid his thumb across Jaehwan’s lower lip.

“Maybe if you refresh me of how good your mouth is I won’t tell your new boss what a you are.”

What the ?!

“No way in hell you bastard!” Jaehwan shoved Minjun’s hand off of him and was about to storm out when he was pulled back and Minjun’s phone was shoved in his face.

And there it was.

Jaehwan tried to grab the phone and delete the picture but Minjun pulled it out of his reach.

“That’s not all I have Jaehwan.” Minjun scrolled some more in his phone and opened up a video.

It was a video of the two of them in Minjun’s apartment from when they were dating. Minjun was laying on the bed while Jaehwan was—

Jaehwan thought he was going to be sick. He had never felt so violated in his life. “What the hell is wrong with you, you ?! I never said you could film that! Delete those now!”

“It’s your own fault for trying to show off, Jaehwan. Did you really think you deserved that promotion? I had been working at Deep Blue way longer than you! Did you really think a newbie like you was that great?!”

Jaehwan couldn’t believe what a ing creep Minjun had turned out to be. Jaehwan hated how stupid he was for going out with him in the first place. He realizes now how naïve he was then, so in love with the idea of being in love that he totally didn’t see the true nature of the man he was dating.

He just wanted Minjun out of his life forever but he couldn’t afford to lose his current job. It had taken him almost a year to get his new job at Jelpi and most other companies wouldn’t even interview him because it was noted that he had physically assaulted a colleague. If he lost his job now, there was a great chance he wouldn’t be able to get hired as an accountant again.

Jaehwan felt as if he was suffocating. He wanted to beat the living daylights out of Minjun, but that would cause him to tell everyone in their industry about his personal life.

Minjun could sense Jaehwan’s defeat and got satisfaction from the fight leaving Jaehwan’s spirit.

“I don’t have all day, Jaehwan. You don’t want your boss knowing about you now do you?”

Jaehwan’s whole body was trembling as he sunk to his knees. He felt so disgusted with himself. As Minjun ped his pants Jaehwan felt as if he had swallowed acid.

Just as Jaehwan was inching forward the bathroom door suddenly opened.

In the doorway stood Taekwoon: eyes wide, mouth parted just slightly, and looking back and forth between Jaehwan and Minjun.

Minjun broke the silence, “Jaehwan, please stop! I told you I didn’t want this.” He hurriedly zipped his pants up backing away from Jaehwan in fake disgust.

Jaehwan was utterly horrified and was frozen in place. He looked at Taekwoon and was opening and closing his mouth trying to find his voice but couldn’t utter a sound. He felt the tears pooling in his eyes and he quickly got back up on his feet.

“I-It’s not—it’s not—"

Taekwoon was continuing to stare at him but his face had gone back to its normal blank state.

Jaehwan was hyperventilating, his whole body shaking with the shame and humiliation he was feeling. He was unsure of what to do and decided the best course of action would be to run away.

He made a beeline for the exit and he only made it a few steps into the bathroom hallway when he felt Taekwoon grab him by the arm. The tears were starting to fall now, and Jaehwan was waiting for Taekwoon to yell at him for messing up a deal with their potential client.

Jaehwan tensed when he felt Taekwoon cup his cheek with his hand. He gently prodded Jaehwan to look at him and asked, “Are you alright?”

That was definitely not the reaction he thought he would receive. Jaehwan didn’t know what to say. He wasn’t prepared to get such a kind response from Taekwoon.

Jaehwan tried to form a coherent sentence but could barely manage a couple words through his sobbing. Taekwoon reached into his pocket and pulled out his car keys and handed them to Jaehwan.

“Go wait in the car for me. I’ll be there soon.”

Jaehwan reached for the keys with trembling hands and left the building as fast as he could.

~~~~~~

It all suddenly made sense to Taekwoon. No wonder Jaehwan was acting so anxious all day! He obviously had some unpleasant history with Minjun, and judging from what he witnessed it was more serious that he could’ve thought.

Taekwoon took a deep breath and walked back into the restroom to hear what Minjun had to say. When he entered he saw that Minjun had straightened his clothes out and calmed his nerves.

“Would you care to explain what is going on Mr. Park?”, Taekwoon calmly questioned.

“I’m embarrassed from what you saw Mr. Jung. It seems that Jaehwan has taken a liking to me and offered me some of his services. I tried to decline! But he was very persistent.”

Minjun lied as perfectly as always but was taken aback from the glare he received in response.

Taekwoon still didn’t know what was really going on, but he knew Jaehwan would never do such a thing. He had observed Jaehwan during his time at Jelpi and knew Jaehwan was a very dedicated worker with a great moral character. Not the type of person to perform the act Minjun was saying.

Minjun could tell Taekwoon didn’t believe him and decided to show him the picture he had in order to convince him. Minjun couldn’t afford for Taekwoon to bring this up to his supervisor and risk himself getting in trouble.

“I know it must be shocking for you but I’m telling the truth! Jaehwan’s done this before. He used to solicit workers when he worked at Deep Blue Inc.”

Minjun showed Taekwoon the picture of Jaehwan he took when they were dating but suddenly Minjun found himself pinned against the wall with Taekwoon’s forearm pressing against his chest.

“Argh—"

Minjun felt like all the air had been knocked out of him. The look on Taekwoon’s face made Minjun shiver and he felt as if he was being cornered by a lion.

Taekwoon pushed a little harder and snatched the phone out of Minjun’s hand. He smashed the phone against the wall, right next to Minjun’s head, and the force alone made it shatter into pieces.

Minjun flinched at the action and his eyes bulged at Taekwoon’s brute strength.

Taekwoon continued to apply pressure against Minjun’s body and began to speak very slowly, every word dripping with menace.

“I suggest you delete any other footage of Lee Jaehwan you have. And if you come near any of my employees again, Mr. Park, you will regret it. I am hereby cancelling any business Jelpi has with Deep Blue Inc and we will no longer be working with Deep Blue in the future.”

He released his hold against Minjun and watched him collapse to the floor.

Taekwoon simply turned around and walked out uttering a simple, “Have a good day, Mr. Park” and left Minjun sitting on the bathroom floor trying to catch his breath.


 

 

A/N: Wow, Minjun turned out to be more of an a-hole than I originally planned lol. Sigh, sorry this is progressing so slowly. I just started school again so I might be busy from now on but I'll try to update faster! More keo will happen in the next updates.

Thanks for reading and leave a comment to let me know what you think!