Girl's Story

A Summer Encounter
Please log in to read the full chapter

Youngji sighed as she walked through the doors to the air-conditioned café.

It was a sunny summer day with temperatures reaching unbearable and the humidity completely intolerable. People were walking around with handkerchiefs and water bottles in their hands, but there weren’t as many as usual because of the heat, probably to stay indoors.

Smart people, Youngji thought to herself as she stared out the window.

“Joo-moun do-wah-deu-ril-kayo?” Can I take your order?

Youngji shook herself from her reverie, noticing she was just standing in the middle of the café, enjoying the cool air on her exposed skin: she was wearing a green t-shirt and white shorts, white Keds on her feet.

“Omo,” she said softly as she took a few steps forward to the register, “Neh, chwae-song-hae-yo.” Oh gosh, yes, sorry.

The barista chuckled. “Kwen-chan-seum-nee-da Youngji-shi. Moo-seun koh-pi…?” It’s okay Miss Youngji. Which coffee…?

“Ah, neh,” Youngji said, a little shy from being recognized, “Ice americano hannaman jusaeyo.” Oh, right, one iced Americano please.

“Neh, sa-cheon oh-baek won eem-nee-da,” the barista said while she wrote the initials of the coffee on a plastic cup. Okay, that will be 4500 won.

“Yeo-gi,” Youngji said with a polite outstretched hand, a 5000-won bill in her fingers. Here.

“Kamsahamneeda,” the barista said, receiving the bill and giving the idol back her change after putting the cup and marker down, “Eum-ryo-reul ka-jyo-ohl hal-kae-seum-nee-da.” Thank you. I’ll bring the drink to you.

“Ah, neh,” Youngji said, slowly making her way over to a table.

“Yah eonnie!” the barista suddenly shouted.

“Yah, noo-ga ‘yah’-ah-reul hoh-chool-hae??” another voice shouted back. Hey, who are you calling ‘yah’??

The KARA member witnessed this exchange a little bit horrified.

“Ahnee,” the barista shouted once more, “Sohn-neem yeo-gi isseo!” No, we have a customer!

There was a short silence, then a scraping of chair legs and quick footsteps coming towards the front of the store.

“If it’s Henry I swear to G—Om-na.”

Youngji, still with wide eyes, saw a woman with a shocked expression on her face appear from a hidden corner of the café. What she first noticed about the woman was her bleach blonde hair, cut about shoulder length but with a lot of layers going shorter to the back. Since the weather was warm, the other was also revealingly dressed in a black tank top, white shorts, and blue flip flops, but the idol spotted a half-finished tattoo sleeve on her left arm.

“Omomomomo,” the woman gasped, clearly mortified and bowing slightly, “Mi-an-ham-nee-da! Omo, eotteokeh… OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGodohmyGod, I’m so sorry! Oh God, what do I do…

“Yah Heeyoung-ah,” she whispered harshly, trying to get the barista over to where she was standing.

They both heard a smirk and exchanged glances.

The woman gave a weak smile and said, “Chahng-kam-man-yo.” Excuse me.

She almost ran behind the counter of the register and out of sight. Youngji heard some whispering and quiet grunts before the woman came back, dragging the barista by her arm.

“Anyeonghasaeyo Youngji-shi,” the blonde haired woman said, bowing and forcing Heeyoung to do the same, “Leela-eem-nee-da. Keurigoh barista-eui ee-reum-eun Heeyoung-ae-yo.” Hello Miss Youngji. I’m Leela. And the barista’s name is Heeyoung.

“Neh, anyeonghasaeyo,” Youngji smiled hesitantly, finding herself in the strangest situation since she debuted, “Ha-ji-man na-boh-da na-ee-ka a

Please log in to read the full chapter