I'm Sorry I Like you

The Non-TabiSan Sandara Stories Challenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: I'm Sorry I like you

 

Pairing: JaeDara

She hated him the first day they met that summer. He was arrogant, so full of himself. Maybe it was due to the fact that he was the best looking guy in their year. His circle of friends are also made up of the elite sons and daughters of influential people in Korea in other words he was completely out of her league. So why the hell was she paired up with him for a project?

She wanted to continue her regular life where she easily blends in with the crowd. Nothing special ever happens to her and to be honest she’s quite relieved that her life has been uneventful. It would have been nice if her life continued that way but fate decided to play a little trick on her. Her favorite teacher decided to give the class an assignment to act together an excerpt from any popular English literary piece

The project itself is not a big deal. She likes reading a lot and since she lived most of her childhood abroad speaking the language isn’t a big deal. She just didn’t expect to be paired with him, Kim Jae Joong. He was usually surrounded by fan girls and he was usually busy flirting with them. He would have his pick for the day and he would move on to another the next day, a routine that the girls accepted willingly much to Dara’s distaste.

“They say you grew up abroad so you must be good at this,” he said as He flipped through the pages of one of the books in front of him.

Dara just continued looking through a wide range of selection. She had Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Harper Lee, Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen as her go to authors.

“I’m not really fond of reading but I do love to act. I’m planning to be an actor in the future,” he told her.

"It would suit you well since you won’t have to study so much to be an actor," that was what she wanted to say but decided against it because she didn’t want to cause unnecessary attention  so instead she said. “That’s great at least you already know what you want to be.”

“So let’s do Romeo and Juliet. It’s Shakespeare everyone is familiar with it,” Jae Joong suggested.

Dara was thinking anything but Romeo and Juliet because she was pretty sure the whole class will be going for Romeo and Juliet.  

“You don’t like Romeo and Juliet?” He asked her.

“It’s not that I don’t like it. I just think that maybe you need something more challenging than that,” she said. She was actually looking for a piece that didn’t require much acting and more of an exchange of dialogue. Well, maybe she also has something against Romeo and Juliet. How can they have fallen in love, consummate their love and die in a span of a week? It's simply illogical at least to her point of view.

“How about Hamlet?” he asked her. This pulled her back to reality.

Dara thought deeply. It is one of Shakespeare’s most celebrated plays but not a lot of students will use it she’s certain of it. “Okay, let’s give it a shot,” she agreed.

“I play Hamlet of course and you Ophelia,” he told her.

“I wouldn’t mind playing Gertrude,” she said.

“But the confrontation of Hamlet and Ophelia when she returned his letters is one of the most memorable parts of the play,” he reasoned.

“I thought you just wanted to perform the line ‘to be, or not to be; that is the question’ which is understandable since it’s a very popular line,” she commented.

“Well, that too but I honestly think this scene is quite tragic,” he said,

The two agreed on the piece. The excerpt was the scene where Ophelia was giving back Hamlet’s love letters in which the latter denies ever giving them.

“I didn’t know you like reading,” she nonchalantly joked.

“I’m not particularly fond of it but I’m serious about wanting to be an actor. So this kind of literature I do read,” he admitted.

Dara was a little relieved. At least she’s not going to have a hard time convincing him to practice or so she thought.

He found her very interesting. She wasn’t like the other girls who were throwing themselves at him. She always means business when she talks to him. She would ask if he has memorized his part or if he’s struggling with how to deliver the lines. She would always offer her insights.

Sometimes she makes him a little frustrated because he was doing his best to be charming but he fails miserably to get his intentions noticed.

Secretly Dara admired his talent. Maybe he can really become a successful actor. He also studied his parts really well. If only he would practice more frequently instead of always hanging out with his friends. Sometimes she suspects of him intentionally giving her a hard time.

“Did you ever consider acting as a future career?” He asked her.

“Not really. I’d rather be a writer instead,” she replied. The idea is absurd she’s more of the production team kind of person not one to stand in front of the stage or the camera.

“I still think you’ll do well as an actress. You have a really pretty face too.” he commented.

“Thank you but I’d rather be acknowledged for my brain,” she said. The complement was nice if she were to be honest with herself but having a pretty face is a bit of a deterrent of being acknowledged for one’s abilities.

“You should be a comedian, you’re really funny,” he said.

Dara just rolled her eyes at him. “I think we should be done for the day. We still have a week. Please tell your girlfriend Tiffany to allow you to practice more often,” she told him.

“She’s not my girlfriend. I just date them because they ask me too. I’m just being polite. I’m not seeing anyone exclusively,” he corrected her.

“Sure as if that explanation makes any sense,” she said. “It’s not any of my business anyway. Just make sure to make time for practice.” She was about to leave when he suddenly stopped her.

“For someone who’s smart you sure are dense,” he commented. “I’m actually being extra nice to you and I’m not the type of person to act nice. I don’t do school practices. Hell I don’t really take my studies seriously but I’m making an effort for you.”

“I’ve never asked for you to be nice. I’m just requesting for you to practice that’s all. I don’t need any favors from you,” she retorted. But before she knew it his lips were pressed to hers. She almost closed her eyes but she suddenly got out of her trance and pushed him away. “Are you crazy?” she bellowed then slapped his face. She immediately gathered her things and left. She was really embarrassed her face as red as a tomato as she stormed out of the empty room they were using for practice.

The next day Jaejoong did not attend their classes. Dara also tried calling him but he didn’t answer his phone. She also messaged him but he didn’t reply to her either.

A couple of days before their presentation he finally came to class Dara immediately went to him to talk. “What happened to you? Why weren’t you answering my calls? I thought something bad happened to you,” she asked.

“Since when have you been concerned with my wellbeing? Don’t get ahead of yourself. It’s not like we’re dating,” he said. His friends who were around him started laughing.

“Excuse me?” Dara said. “I’m just worried about you ditching me on the presentation day. You’re the one who shouldn’t be full of yourself,” she hissed.

“Don’t worry I’m not going to miss our little performance,” he said slyly. He was so frustrated with her reaction after he kissed her that he didn’t go to school the next day. But he was elated when she started calling and messaging him. Of course he didn’t give her the satisfaction of getting a reply.

“You know what. We don’t have to practice together. I will rehearse on my own and you do the same. I trust you’d be able to do just fine by yourself,” she bellowed before going back to her seat.

Their teacher came in the classroom and everyone got back to their own seats. Dara was still fuming. Jaejoong was also a little upset about her not wanting to practice together.

On the day of the performance Jaejoong and Dara decided to meet early in school.

“Are you ready for the performance later,” she asked him as they walked together in the almost empty halls.

“I’m a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter