Lessons and Love

The Non-TabiSan Sandara Stories Challenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: Lessons and Love

Pairing: ChanDara

Chanyeol was never a studious student. He didn’t like studying at all. So it’s no mystery that he’s at the bottom of the ranking for his year. Not that it mattered to him at all.

His motto in life is he’d rather be street smart than book smart. Of course his buddies think he doesn’t make sense and his parents are as equally outraged,

But the relationship of Chanyeol and his studies changed the moment he met his private tutor.

“Are you sure you’re a college student. I’m pretty sure you look like a high schooler,” Chanyeol commented. “Ani… maybe even a middle schooler when you’re that short.”

She handed her National identification ID to him looking unfazed. “Satisfied?” she asked.

He stared at the ID and a look of disbelief dawned on his face. She really is a college student. She’s actually 3 years older than him. But his eyes were deceiving him. She’s too petite and that face, how can that be a face of someone older than 17?

“You get easily distracted, don’t you? You know you won’t be able to finish high school with the current state of your grades and how about the National college exams? Don’t you have any ambitions of getting into college?”

“Will you slow down a bit? It’s not like you can make me a genius,” he challenged.

“Making you a genius would be difficult actually, we have to start with the basics. I saw your previous exams and you don’t even have a grasp of the basics. I’m surprised you even got this far. Your family must be very generous when giving donations to the school,” she said.

“Are you allowed to talk to me that way miss?” he asked. He was getting a little pissed by how rude his new tutor is.

“Part of the conditions for me to agree to tutor you is that I’m able to address you however way I want,” she replied. “I’m here to make you smart enough to graduate high school. I’m not getting paid to patronize you,” she replied to him sharply. “I’m going to come here on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 5pm and I will leave exactly at 8pm.”

“And what if I don’t come home?” He challenged. “I don’t really like to follow what my parents say what makes you think I will follow you.”

“Oh you will. I’ve never failed before,” she said. “Also I will only be doing this for six months. I have a long line of students waiting for me to tutor them. Here is a list of the subjects we are going to study and the curriculum we have to follow. You’re actually way behind everyone so don’t waste both of our times,” she said sternly.

There was something really annoying but attractive about her. She has a certain air of confidence that he’s never seen in anyone.

“You’re not going to lose anything if you follow me,” she muttered. 

“Park Chanyeol doesn’t lose to anyone,” he said confidently.

“Then this will probably be your first. Park Sandara doesn’t lose to anyone either,” she declared standing up to him.

 

2 hours later

“You really are dumb,” Dara declared as she checked the proficiency exam that she gave to Chanyeol. It was to measure his level of understanding of High school Math, Science, English and History. She made a wager with him that if he passed any of the exams she would leave and never comeback but if he fails in all 4 assessments he will have to follow her with no exceptions.

“I’m pretty sure I got more than half of the items correct in those exams,” Chanyeol said.

“Sorry but the highest you got is in Korean history and it wasn’t even ¼ of the exam,” she said shaking his head.  She handed him back the exam sheets. “I was actually hoping you would pass and I wouldn’t have to meet you anymore but your scores are just pitiful. I guess you really need my help.” She declared.

“If I’m a hopeless case why do you even bother?” Chanyeol said.

“I said pitiful not hopeless,” she corrected him. ”I only need 3 hours from you 3 times a week. I’ll definitely help you improve enough for you to finish high school and actually learn something.”

“Fine but I’m just doing this because I lost our bet not because I actually want you to tutor me,” he explained.

On the first week of tutoring Chanyeol was still a little defiant he came home late and so his tutoring hours were cut short but his tutor never complained. She repeated topics that he didn’t quite understand and explained it to him in simple terms.

He didn’t feel stupid when she teaches him. When she told him that he should ask if he didn’t understand a topic and she’ll go through it again she meant it. 

3 months have passed and Chanyeol isn’t the bottom of the ranks during their midterm exam.

“Dara-noona I made a big leap on the rankings. I’m now at 100th from over 250 students,” Chanyeol exclaimed. “I totally nailed the midterms.

“I’m glad. We only have 3 months left, You have to be ready to study on your own soon,” she declared.

“Can’t you tutor me for the rest of the year,” he pleaded with puppy dog eyes.

“I thought you’re excited to get rid of me,” she said.

“You know that’s not true,” he protested. “Maybe at first I was but not anymore,” he admitted.

Dara smiled at him. “You really are such a baby. You act tough but you’re just a litle kid in a tall body,” she commented.

“I’m not. I’m only a few years younger than you. I can pass as your boyfriend,” he said confidently.

“But I don’t date guys who are below the top 10 of school rankings,” she declared.

“Is that a challenge?” he asked bravely.

“If you’re up for it,” she said nonchalantly.

“We need this in writing so I have proof,” he said and hurriedly got his pad paper and his pen and started writing. After a few minutes he handed the paper to Dara. “Sign-juseyo.”

 Dara read the contents of the contract. “Choa! I’ll sign this. If you are confident enough,” she said then signed the contract.

“I promise I’ll be even more diligent. You won’t regret signing this,” he said as he put the signed contract in his pocket.

“Let’s start studying now shall we?” She said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter