❊ Captured ❊

♚ Til Death Do Us Part ♚

     The door flew open with a mighty bang and broke off its hinges. The squad of soldiers marched right in and began firing guns randomly around the hut. You pushed the squealing kids down to the ground and covered them with yourself.

     "Please, have MERCY!" you yelled to the soldiers, struggling hard to find your tongue and scream above all the noise. They looked at you for a brief second and burst into laughter. "Mercy ain't in the war dictionary, lassie." A heavy-set soldier guffawed at you. He grabbed your left wrist and pulled you roughly from the bawling kids. "NOOO!!" You tried to free yourself from his death grip, but how could a weak girl fight against a fully-trained soldier?

     "NUUNAAA~!!!" you heard someone screaming for you. With the strength that was left in you, you threw yourself around and saw Kyeonghwan kneeling on the floor, clasping the side of his head. His face contorted in total pain, with tears and sweat running down in rivers      and you noticed something else running down the side of his face to his chin.

     Blood. Dark red blood. You turned to look at the soldier standing in front of him. The soldier was holding a Colt M16 in his hand with the heavy part down. That was enough to explain things to you. He had hit Kyeonghwan using the weapon, and now Kyeonghwan was losing blood fast.

     "KYEONGHWAN!" you shouted for him, hoping he would hear her through all the chaos.

     Slowly, the small boy turned his head and met your eyes. "Nu-u... n-naa..." his weak voice called for you. "Nu... n-na..."

     "No, no, Kyeonghwan~!!!" Your heart thumped louder as you saw him staggering and his eyes rolling out of consciousness. A second passed and his small body fell to the ground, and became motionless.

     "No... no no NOOO~!!!" Fury built inside you, slowly giving you strength to fight back. You bit hard on the soldier's hand and his grip on your wrist weakened. Taking the split opportunity of freedom, you dashed to the kitchen, grabbed something you hid in the stacks of firewoods and ran back to the scene.

     "I know how to use this, and I AM CERTAINLY NOT AFRAID to use it!" You held the harmful object high over your head.

     The soldiers paused in their act and looked at the object in your hand. Their jaws dropped.

     It would be funny to see yourself in the mirror now, since you were actually holding in your hand a hand grenade. One blow and it would swipe away all living things in its path. Looking at the soldiers' faces contorting in fear, you couldn't help but resist a sinister smile. Weak girl 1, soldiers 0.

     "Hey lass, ya don't know how dangerous that thang can be." Another soldier who was holding Eunri by the hair got his eyes set on you, tightening his grip on his M16 which he held in his other hand. His eyes darted to the other soldiers in the hut. You swore you saw his eyes twitched to the rest, but your mind was too fuzzy to be bothered by it.

     Suddenly, as if controlled, the soldiers let the children go one by one. You heaved a sigh of relief. Slowly, you lowered the grenade down.

     "Close in, soldiers." A voice behind you gave out an instruction. C-Close in? What's that supposed to mean?

     As fast as lightning, the soldiers rounded you, concealing you in a circle. You turned around on the spot, panic again rising up in your throat. Someone snatched the grenade roughly from your hand. "NO!" you shouted, trying with all your might to break through the barrier they made around you. But it was of no use.

     "Knock her out! She's out of control!" another voice said. You heard the children crying for you, calling for you through the soldiers surrounding you. 

     "Let... me... GO!" You pushed and thrashed around inside the circle, but the barrier stood solid.

     "UNNIII~!!! Watch OUT~!!!"

     You turned around, and before you knew what was happening, a heavy object struck the side of your head, jerking your head to the right. Your knees buckled and you fell to the ground with a thud.

     The kids screamed. The soldiers yelled. Guns were fired. Noises mixed together to produce chaos. Your sight blurred, and you could only see small feet and boots scurrying around.

     Then everything went mute and dark.