❊ War's Not Your Game ❊

♚ Til Death Do Us Part ♚

     "Here, Eunri, take this bread." you handed the little girl a piece of bread.

     She took it from your hand and turned it over in her small nimble hands. "Same flavour?"

     you gave a little smirk. "Yes my dear. Always cold and --"

     "-- hard, I know," little Eunri heaved a sigh. Her shoulders drooped. She dragged her feet to join the rest of the children on the floor and nimbled slowly on her piece of cold bread.

     You looked at the group of children that sat together on the dusty floor of the small, clay hut. They were laughing among themselves, teasing around and playing mini games that they had learned before from you. You managed a weak smile. It's good to know that they didn't feel the pressure from all the things happening around them now. After all, they were just kids. It was a miracle that they could cope with the situation they're in, since a few lost their parents, a few lost their houses, and a few even lost everything. You rescued them and brought them here, here to this shelter. As long as they were safe, you were already satisfied.

     Because the truth was, they now lived in the sounds of bombs and marching armies and fighter jets flying over. They were dwelling through a war.

     "Nuna..." a small voice called for you, tugging at your sleeve. You snapped out and looked at the small boy beside you.

     "Yes, Hyowon?" you smiled.

     "T-the noisy green people won't get us, will they?" he looked into your eyes, and a hint of fear in his eyes made you worry.

     You let out a nervous laugh. "No they won't, my Hyowon." You ran a hand through his hair and ruffled it gently. "I hope they won't."

     Suddenly, the ground shook slightly beneath your feet. Your senses perked up to life. "Now Hyowon, go and play with the rest..."

     you silently tiptoed to the window and peered outside. And gasped.

     A troop of soldiers, heavily armed with weapons you had never seen before in your life, was heading to the small clay hut with their weapons raised aiming for this defenseless and unprotected shelter. Your heart skipped a beat. Just what are you going to do? It would be too late if they were to escape altogether into the forest behind, the soldiers were too near.

     "Kids, we're gonna have to be calm and don't panic with whatever's gonna happen, okay?" You tried to hide the tremble in your voice, but the kids were quicker than you thought.

     "They're coming, aren't they nuna?" Kyeonghwan spoke out with his tiny high-pitched voice. Everyone's eyes settled on you. You looked into those eyes, heart as heavy as the burden you were carrying. And for the first time since the start of the war, you broke down into tears.

     Your knees buckled and your hand pushed the wall for support. Seeing this, the kids surrounded you and hugged you altogether, which made you cry harder. Will I be able to see them again? you thought. "It's gonna be okay unni, as long as we're together," little Eunri said. Her words somehow lifted up your spirit again.

     B A M ! ! !

     You turned your head around to the door. And screamed.