Chapter 1

Justice

Hubbub was praivailed at the train station of Paris, it was already noon and many people was there waiting for their train to arrive and bring someone loved one or just to leave for their work out of the country or at the countryside. Some of the trains were already leaving with their passengers’s freights, an inspector had an intense wrangle with a man sometimes catching the eye of the people who were walking by, there were two little kids dressed in tattered clothes, one boy and one girl who were trying to make a living by selling newspapers and flowers together with a older woman who must be their mother and not too far away, a team of men dressed up in formal clothes who seem to be the men of Paris’s Police Force together with a younger man who also was dressed up in  formal clothes and looked like someone important, the younger man had a medium sized trunk with his personal belongings that he needed for his long trip placed next to him.


«Mr. Kim, are you ready? Your train will arrive soon,you took everything you need, right? »The police man who was closer to the younger asked him «Yes sir, I’m ready and I think that’s all, I’m going for work not vocation» the younger man said taking a deep breath, he was nervous, it was the first time that he had to leave his house at the beautiful city of Paris because of work. «At the train station of Caen there will be a carriage waiting for you and will take you at the harbor of Cherbourg, there you will take a boat named Santa Victoria and will take you at the England. I’m afraid that from there you will be alone; you have to find a way by yourself to go at the village. The village is far away from London, I hope you will find a way to go there or else you will end up walking all the way there. Here are your tickets» the police officer who asked the younger a minute ago told him, «I don’t think that will be big problem for me sir, don’t worry about me I will find a way. Thank you sir» The younger said taking the tickets in his hands and looked at his leader who looked like he wanted to add something but the loud whistle of the train that just arrived was enough to cut him before he was able to say anything. «Take this letter with you; it’s for the mayor there. It’s about your case» The leader said and gave him an envelope with Paris’s Police Force stamp on it, the younger just nodded his head as he couldn’t do something else with all that noise that was dominated.
The young man gave one last look around him, before he was ready to take his personal belongings he saw the two little kids, things like that always ache his heart. «Christophe, please do me a favor. While I amk loading my personal belongings at the train could you  buy me a newspaper and a flower from those kids there? » The man asked one of the conscripts of the police force and gave him some money after pointing him the kids he mentioned, «But sir, that’s way too much money» the police man said shocked with the price in his hands, the man just smiled at him «Are you saying that I’m not good at math officer? Do as I said. Give a half to each kid. If you hurry up I would appreciate that» the young man said and with a help of another policeman he hold up the medium sized trunk, the conscript didn’t had any other choice and did as the man said, he bought a newspaper from the boy and a white Lilium from the girl, always watching buy the man, just for any case.

«Thank you, I thought that i couldn’t make it» The man smiled at Christophe who answered with a friendly smile and a nod, «You better go sir, the train is about to leave» the police officer who helped the younger earlier said, «I’m afraid that you’re right, It’s time for me to go» the young man said and boarded after he said goodbye.

 

The train started his long trip with his passengers; the men of the Paris’s Police Force said one more time goodbye and wished good luck at the younger man before they took their leave. The man already knew that it’s going to be long way and God only knew when he would be back home, the man even if he didn’t have travelled to England before he knew that was not just walk, it was week or more if the weather helped but he didn’t care, to him it was more important to help those poor villagers by solving the mystery of the disappearances there so they can finally have peace. Someone could say that The Paris’s Police Force would more likely send someone more skilled  to work on a so serious case and not a 26 year old young man.Even though he didn't have any essential experience,he got  skills and even more, he works for Paris’s Police Force for 2 years, the first and half year  he worked as help assistant solving cases that were asigned to him, despite the fact that they   were not so many, his name became quickly well known, everyone knew Kim Himchan the young detective with these crazy and unbelievable theories that ended up to be verified ,leaving speechless his superiors.
Good for him that the lady luck was at his side, when he arrived at England and later at London he found an old man with a cab to help him to go at the village as he himself had to deliver at the next village. The road to the village and the England, were different than he  used to, but everything he read about the country and everything he had heard was true, of course in the end he would always pick his home the best even if he liked there, nothing  is better than your home, that was his thoughts. The cab stopped just 500 meters away from the village and when the young detective asked the older man why he didn’t go any farther the man said that he was afraid of the curse or something and then he left the younger alone and confused but he didn’t bothered so much with the incident so he took his personal belongings and he continued his way.


After Himchan finally found an another cab in the village his way lead at the village-hall, there was two men one of them was Asian and at his age in a long cape and the other looked he was about his late forties in more formal clothes, ‘he must be the mayor’, he thought. He got out of the cab and walked towards the two men, the older was the first to speak, «You must be Kim Himchan, the detective from Paris, right? I’m John Smith, the mayor of the village and this is Bang Yongguk he is our teacher» the said man bowed his head «I’m so glad that you’re finally here, I hope you had nice and safe trip» the teacher said with a gently smile, «It’s a pleasure to meet you and thank you I had a nice trip» the detective said and then he bowed at the two «This is for you sir, It’s from Police’s Force Leader» the young man said as he took the envelope out of his dark warm cape and he gave it to the mayor who smiled at him, "Thank you, I will take care of it later. It was about time for you to come, we really need someone like you now» Mr. Smith said and Himchan let out a sigh before he start to speak «I understand, I’m informed about the case and I can only say that its tragedy, it’s tragedy for the kids who lose their parents but it’s also for the parents who don’t let them out because they are afraid that they will become the next victim» a cold breeze made the man shiver and he fixed his cape trying to protect himself from the cold weather «Mr. Bang tell me something, did any of the victims happened to be children? When they told me about the case they didn’t informed me about the victims, if they were men or women or children» he asked the teacher curious who nodded his head «I’m afraid that in Autumn we lost three students, they were siblings» he said. The young detective shake his head, he couldn’t believe that how cruel could the world be, that was a lie, he already knew. «Mr. Smith, if you can give a hand, I’m asking for permission so I can enter at police’s documents» he said looking now at the mayor, «Of corse you can, I will inform them as soon as I can so there will not be any problem for you» he answered «Thank you, that’s big help for me, I appreciate it» the younger said bowing his head, «Its past noon, i think it’s time for you to take some rest» Yongguk said looking at village-hall’s big clock, the mayor shake his head «I think it’s better to give him a tour first, just to get know of the place» he said, «I admit that you’re right» the professor said at mayor’s statement «We had prepare a welcome ceremony for you, finally someone come for help» Mr. Smith said making the young man smile friendly «Don’t say something like that Mr. Smith, i didn’t solve the case yet. You make it look like i’m some hero» the younger said trying to calm down mayor’s big hopes but the mayor himself had different plans «but you’re going to be one, we believe in you» he told him, in the end he had big idea for the detective or maybe big hopes?

The mayor and the professor gave the detective a tour around the village, the image of the abanonded school broke the young’s man heart but when he soon heard that the professor uses his house as school for the kids a smile formed on his lips, he was happy that there was someone here to help the poor kids, education is hard to find these days especially for the people who live under poverty. The next thing their mayor showed him was the house where the doctor lives, his name was Yoo Youngjae and by the mayor’s words he was young but skillful, also he had a love for the villagers and he always help them. The next thing  the detective saw was the craftsman’s house, he asked the mayor about him –just in case he needed him-, his name was Lee Byung Hun and he was a good man and you could trust him for whatever work you need to do, he had two sons Jongup and Junhong that he found on the streets of London, they were both orphans but he decided to take them with him and raise them, that was a really kind move of him the detective thought.

By the time they arrived at the house, in which the detective was supposed to live and work on the case, the young man saw a crowd outside the house. They must be here for the welcome ceremony. The three men got out of the cab and after they walked towards the crowd, the mayor was the first to speak, «Dear villagers, I’m glad that I can finally show you the man who come here to save us, the man who come to solve the mystery, the man who came to help our village. Let me introduce you Kim Himchan, he works for Paris’s Police as a detective. Himchan,son, take a step foward» he said and the detective quickly took a step foward bowing to the villagers «I’ll work hard to help this village. I promise that I’ll not  rest until I solve the case. I beg, if anyone knows something that can help me with the case then please come and talk to me in person, I’ll not let anyone know. Your help is important for me» the young man said and he bowed this time his head. People looked at him a bit hesitantly,is he really the right to solve the mystery? He looks so young, how can he do that? Is he enough skillful? That was the thoughts of many villagers. The mayor began to talk again and the detective suddenly felt the vibe there was a change and it became cold somehow, he tried to escape that weird feeling by looking around from time to time , at one moment his eyes spotted a young man at the very back, he could clearly see his face, he had black hair, by the eye shape he could say that he was Asian, he also had a mole under his left eye he also had plumped lips, the appeal of his face  making him more like a prince  and not like a villager.The man soon he noticed that the detective was looking at him and he looked back at him with his dark brown eyes, the stare of the man made nervous the detective so he had too look away but when he decide to look again at the man he was nowhere to be found, he may left.

«Are you sure that you want to leave there? This house is cursed» a woman said to the detective when the most of the villager had left, the young man looked at her confused  not really knowing  what she meant «The house is cursed? » the detective asked her and the woman walked closer to him «That’s right son, the house is cursed. An evil spirit lives there, the spirit of Lord Jung. I live at the other side of the road, sometimes weird noises come from this house and a shadow appears by the window of the second floor, my husband, who comes back late from work always heasr screams coming from the basement. It’s not safe for you, you better find a another place to live or else you will disappear too» the woman’s words shocked the young man even if he didn’t believed in supernatural things like spirit or whatever, he stopped believing them when he was still a kid. «Ma’am stop speaking nonsense, evil spirit, cursed house. Those only exist in a fairytales and in kid’s imagination. Mr. Kim I can guarantee that the house is completely normal and nothing going on with it. The only thing you can find in there is dust that’s all» the mayor said trying to make the younger not to believe in the woman’s words, «Say whatever you want Mr. Smith but I believe what I see and hear and I’m not the only one who sees and hear these things. Young man you better stay away from the second floor and the basement, it may be dangerous for you» the woman said before she took her leave. The detective couldn’t decide if he had  to believe in her words since she looked like she was saying the truth or not as the mayor said. «Mr. Kim, don’t listen to her, the people here are afraid and they make up stories trying to explain those mysterious incidents. The house is safe and the only thing it needs is a good cleaning, If you want I can find someone to help you with that» Mr.Smith said giving the keys of the house to the detective «You don’t have to sir, I can handle it by myself» the young man said and he turned around to look at the «cursed» house «It’ll not be big deal for me, trust me. Since I am going to start with the case tomorrow I believe that today is the best time to do the housework in this house» he smiled at the mayor «The only thing I  need  is someone to help with my trunk. Mr.Bang, I’ll be happy if you could help me with that if you want of course» the detective looked at the professor who smiled at him politly, «Sure, I’ll be glad to help you» he said and then he helped the detective to take the trunk inside the house. Some minutes later, after they said their goodbyes, the mayor and the professor left and now the detective was alone at the old house. He took a look around at the first floor he peeked the room that he supposed to sleep and he moved the trunk there, later, he took a second look at the first floor and he couldn’t really took his eyes from the riched disined house even if it was fool of dust, suddenly he remembered the flower , the white Lilium that he still had from the train station till now, he rushed to find a vase at the kitchen and when he found a right one he filled it with water and placed the beautiful flower inside, later he took the vase and he took it at the dinning-room where he placed on the dining-table but soon he left it alone in rush to finish the housework the sooner possible.