The Swag of the Trademark Dance

My Days of Summer (aka Noona and the 7 Giants)

Taetae was bored out of his league. He just wanted to stay home, curl up into a ball on his bed with Noona while drowning in his "Assassination Classroom" mangas. Jimin was scratching his out ear with his pinky finger while enjoying the sensation it brought. It was his way to fight boredom, not when said boredom is seeing Hoseok practice dancing. Yoongi and Kookie took turns in yawning until one of them declared he was hungry. Only Jin and Namjoon were interested in watching Hoseok dance.

"He's so cool," Jiyeon gasped when Hoseok s his way from the floor back up without using his hands.

"It's his trademark dance," Jin explained. "He even taught me that, but my body is just as rigid as a rock."

With this, Namjoon smirked and laughed a bit. Jiyeon looked at the two boys before looking back at Hoseok, who was practicing with his crew. Hoseok acted like a sassy sissy when he's in the house, but in the studio, he was bold and wild and manly. His personality during dance was molded in this little dingy studio, which was located in the basement of a neighborhood resto. Many kids frequent the place because of the food, but most of those who like hip-hop dance went here often to practice dance. And everyday at dawn before classes and the whole Saturday is where Hoseok and his friends practice.

"He's really cool. I had not seen dancers practicing up close, just watching some guys go to practice sessions," Jiyeon said, in awe.

"Does Seoul also have stuff like this, Noona?" Jin asked. "I mean, you know, where dancers practice at basements?"

"Isseo," Jiyeon said. "Not only that, there are also small clubs that have basement where bands practice. Then, at Hongdae, it is where they busk."

"Wow, that's so cool," Namjoon whispered before watching Hoseok again.

"Noona," a voice piped up.

Jiyeon and the two boys with her looked up to see Jimin, Kookie, Yoongi, and Taehyung gathered together.

"We're hungry," Jimin informed her. "We're going up to eat. Do you wanna join us?"

"Food?" Jin asked happily. "I'll go!"

"I'll stay here first," Jiyeon said.

Namjoon smirked again. He could be with his Jun Jihyun.

"I'll stay here too. I'm still full," Namjoon said.

Jin got up and went with the other boys to eat upstairs. Namjoon grabbed his stomach and complained that he was hungry, but he wanted to be with Jiyeon. Jiyeon scrunched her nose as she pinched the younger man's cheek.

"Why are you all being so cheesy to me, huh?" she asked him.

"Because Noona looks sad," Namjoon said.

Jiyeon lit up a wan smile. She felt Namjoon was such a mature young lad, but she did not want to share to him her problems. Adult problems? She didn't want Namjoon to be bothered by them.

"What does Noona want to do on the day with me?" Namjoon asked.

"What do you mean?" was Jiyeon's perplexed query.

Namjoon was forced to tell her what the guys have planed.

"You see, Jin-hyung thought you might be lonely, so we decided that each of us spend a day with you," Namjoon explained.

"Aww, how sweet. So, who's gonna spend his day today with me?" Jiyeon asked.

"Hobi," was Namjoon's laconic answer.

"Hobi? Oh, J-Hope! J-Hobi!" Jiyeon said.

"Jaa, so I'm gonna go up and eat, so Noona gets to watch Hobi more," Namjoon said with his bedimpled smile before standing up.

Jiyeon nodded and watched Hoseok continue to dance.

~~~~

"Waaaaaaaaaa!!!! My muscles are as sore as ever!" Hoseok complained on the way home.

Namjoon and the rest of the guys went ahead, leaving Hoseok to be with Jiyeon.

"But you stretched, right?"

"Ne, Noona, but that was a new routine we were practicing," Hoseok said in worry. "We will be up against a Seoul crew a month from now, and we heard they're really good."

"Geurae? Must be because some of them guys are training also in the major agencies, which is why their dances are also upgraded," Jiyeon shared.

Hoseok's smooth faceu paled. "Huh? We are done for."

"What's the group's name?"

"Dash Da Ground," Hoseok shared.

Jiyeon stopped on her tracks.

"Omo, I've heard they're really good," she shared. "Their leader, Groozuhm, is extremely strict in practices. He trained once in JYP Entertainment before he dropped out and focused on the underground."

Hoseok's face fell. He had heard many good things about JYPE, but hearing that a competitor once trained in the prestigious JYPE made him worry.

"Geokjeongma," Jiyeon told him not to worry. "I am sure Hobi and crew will win. I have not seen a dance like yours."

With renewed hope, Hobi fisted his hands and cheered up the air. "Yes, we will win."

Jiyeon asked him regarding the plan the fun boys had, and Hoseok laughed awkwardly.

"Is it bad, Noona?" Hoseok asked.

"Not at all. I want to have a good summer, that's all," Jiyeon replied.

While looking around, she declared she wanted patbingsu for the hot weather. Hobi's face lit up and dragged her, saying he knew where.

~~~~~

The bingsu shop smelled heavily of strawberry syrup. Hoseok loved this place more than the guys because he loved strawberry syrup so much. It reminded him of jams and fresh strawberries and childhood and scraped knees while stealing strawberries in a farm yonder. Jiyeon remembered this place a lot for all the summer days she spent here during her childhood.

"Noona, this is my favorite place," Hoseok shared as the two of them took their place by the counter.

"I was here a lot when I was younger too," Jiyeon confessed.

Hobi's face lit up and shook the noona's hands like crazy. "Weeee! We both have the same favorite place!"

A kind-looking ajumma catered to their needs.

"Omo, annyeonghaseyo, Aunt Jihyun!" greeted Jiyeon.

"Omo, if it isn't Jiyeonie," Aunt Jihyun said with a smile. "And Hoseok-ah frequents this place often. How's your Aunt?"

"Aunt Mirae is fine, thank you," Jiyeon replied. "Aunt Jihyun, I didn't know you know Hoseok-ah."

The ajumma laughed heartily.

"Ever since your Aunt Mirae adopted neighborhood kids, Hoseok-ah frequented this place almost every summer after your aunt brought the kids here. And since two years ago, Hoseok really comes here every afternoon for the strawberry patbingsu."

"The strawberry patbingsu is my favorite, Noona," Hoseok shared, his eyes glistening with wonder. "Strawberry fields are heaven to me."

"Oreo bingsu juseyo," Jiyeon requested.

The ajumma smiled and replied habits die hard. And she turned back to the counter to prepare the patbingsu of the patrons. While Aunt Jihyun were preparing, Jiyeon and Hoseok were getting to know each other. Soon, the two were laughing over something that the other said. They immediately clicked. And it was when their bingsus came.

"Noona can try some strawberry bingsu," Hoseok offered as he pushed his glass to her.

Jiyeon also shared her bingsu to Hobi. After tasting each other's bingsu, they decided to just get and share like it's conjugal property. But because of this experience, Hoseok realized that his crush for Jiyeon like what he had experienced at the first day had vanished. He enjoyed her company so much, so much so he had looked at her like an older cousin or a blood-related noona whom he can share his thoughts, secrets, and stuff with.

"Noona, who's the cutest among us?" Hoseok asked after his spoon.

"Cute? I don't date younger guys, Hobi," Jiyeon told him.

"Why not? Who knows?"

"Uhm... Jin?" Jiyeon answered.

"Waaaaaaw!" Hoseok exclaimed before squealing like a girl. Jiyeon had to facepalm, trying to register that the Hoseok in ordinary situations doesn't act like J-Hope the fierce dancer. "Don't go out with Jimin, arasseo?"

"Why not?"

"Because Jimin is a noona killer, and he had killed a lot of noonas with his charms already," Hoseok explained. "Don't fall victim for that brat."

"Ahaha, are you jealous?"

"Jealous? ANIYA!" Hoseok said defensively before laughing. "Jimin is just a notorious noona lover, and many girls in school like him a lot."

"Guess I'd not add to that list, then," Jiyeon continued.

After having their fill of the shared dessert, they both drank water because Jiyeon was worried that Hoseok will get sore throat, and being sick on a nice summer is a bummer.

"That's so kind of you, Noona," Hoseok said. "I will not forget to drink water after drinking sweets. No wonder I get sore throats often."

The two of them left the patbingsu store, walking arm in arm.

 

****

Next, Sunday date with Jimin.

~~~~