Chapter 1:

The Path of the Broken

She sighed to herself as her gaze fell upon the autumn leaves that decorated the pavement. It had always been her favorite season.

Everything around her had a unique beauty.

The leaves fell, leaving the branches almost bare to see, instead, they blocked the full view of the sidewalk. It was interesting.

She had always thought of human nature like that. They are vulnerable and beautiful like that. Some things we can’t cover even if we try and other, we search for our whole lives, but never actually see them.

She sighed as she plugged the earphones into hear ears and they tangled a bit on he hair and purple scarf. It was a bit cold even if autumn had just barely begun.

She pressed the button on the right side of her earphones and suddenly, music was flooding her entire being, but it wasn’t too loud. She enjoyed walking in the morning when there was almost no one on the streets with the volume low because she got to listen to the birds too.

Now that she thought about it, she was too into this stuff about human duality. Everything was like that to her: black and white, morning and evening, now or later.

She knew she was really indecisive, but at the same time, it had nothing to do with that. She just enjoyed every aspect of every thing.

A breeze suddenly hit her and her skirts flew up; she panicked for a moment and looked around, but there was no one.

Today was her first day of school at a new place. She was fifteen now and although she did know what that meant for most girls, to her, it was still not soon to just graduate and start working.

Hana just wanted to start working in order to help her brother out. She only had him and he meant everything to her.

To her, it was painful to watch as her brother who had so many talents, was reduced to almost nothing because he had to take care of her.

One time during summer as she cleaned around the house, she came across a little box that was safely hidden in her brother’s room. It was full of songs.

Her brother was an amazing songwriter and he was so full of charisma that she only regretted he hadn’t pursued his dream when he was younger; now he was 22.

She sighed for what seemed to be the hundredth time that morning. The walk to school from her house took about fifteen minutes and her brother had insisted on walking her to school, but she had refused.

It was silly although she was still a kid inside and was actually very nervous to start a new school. She would have enjoyed his company but she needed to show him that she was perfectly capable of taking care of herself.

However, as she thought back to it, she needed to make sure her brother didn’t think she felt ashamed or anything about him.

He’d been feeling kind of down lately and he tried really hard to hide it, but Hana knew better.

She’d have to cheer him later.

Soon enough the school was visible to Hana and she took a moment to try and appreciate the big, white walls that seemed sort of intimidating.

This school was really big. She wasn’t sure how to feel about it.

Before, she had always wanted to attend a school like that, that’d be buzzing with energy all and chatter, but lately she didn’t even know what she wanted.

As she was about to enter school, a boy ran past her and startles the heck out of Hana. She almost tripped and dropped her phone, but thankfully the earphones held them not too far from the floor.

She can’t say it didn’t hurt a bit because it did. Almost everything that had to do with ears she found was a bit uncomfortable.

The girl looked at the running figure and caught a glimpse of a boy with a beanie and glasses that was trying to put on his blazer as he ran but kept struggling with his messenger back.

As she was about to start walking again, she stepped on something.

Bending down to pick it up, she realized it was a leather bracelet that had something inscribed on it.

Upon closer inspection, she realized it was written in English.

“Something,” she read out loud and chuckled. Hana didn’t know if it had some special meaning or anything because she hadn’t heard anything that had to do with that word apart from a few songs of that name. However, she thought about many possible meanings.

Now, she wasn’t the type of girl to take something that wasn’t hers, but she figured the owner probably wouldn’t even notice he or she had lost it for a while. Even then, how would they figure where they lost it?

So she just put it on her left hand and covered it with her blazer. She wasn’t sure about the policies of her new school so better not to start on the wrong foot.

As she was about to stand up from the floor, her skirt had gotten a bit wet from the water on the sidewalk, a few guys passed by her and she caught a bit of their conversation.

“I swear,” a relatively short boy said, “that pretty boy is playing hard to get. How could he run from us?” The guy pouted and Hana thought it was rather cute.

They hadn’t even seen her, but she walked behind them and watched their interactions. She pressed pause on her music and watched how a skinny and a bit taller guy patted the other’s head.

“Hyung,” the same guy turned to another guy that was walking a little behind them, this one had bright red hair, “why do you want a blonde guy so much in our gang? We already have Minsoo hyung to fill that spot.”

As they laughed, Hana faltered in her step and widened her eyes. The word gang had her almost trembling in worry.

A gang? They must be kidding.

She had only met a gang before; heck, she was almost a member. She had always thought those guys were the sweetest, but later on she realized that was not exactly the case and they had always warned her about other gangs.

She took a deep breath and decided, she was not going to mind any of those things. With her looks, no gang would chase her anytime soon.

Once she was finally in the main hall of the school, she could barely hear amongst all the chatter and most of all the screams of girls that were all over the so called “gang” that was walking before her.

She thought it looked like a scene from Boys Over Flowers or something like that and almost laughed.

Well, she was ready for some high school drama…or so she thought.

She only wished to make friends soon enough, because she really had no friends in this new school. Her only real and best friend in the world didn’t attend the same school and that was Myungsoo with whom she was going to get ice cream later.

Looking around she tried to make her way around the cliques in order to reach her locker. Her bag was heavy and she needed to drop her books before her shoulder fell off.

Finally, she found it and dropped her books. When the girl was finally ready for her first class and closed the door to her locker, the door from the locked besides her opened in a harsh manner and hit her on the forehead.

“Ah,” she whispered and her hand went instantly to rub the spot that had been hurt; she pouted a little when her hand came in contact with the area.

“I’m so sorry,” the locker door closed in the same manner it had been opened in order to reveal a face Hana couldn’t describe. For a moment, she felt her insides warm as if she’d been given a shot.

He was cute.

She realized she’d been staring and laughed a bit nervously, “No worries,” she tried to say looking at the other’s eyes and found herself staring through his and her glasses, “I should have been paying attention too.”

He looked at her with a guilty stare, his hair was covered with a black beanie, and suddenly she realized this was the guy that almost caused her to drop her phone, “Are you sure you’re okay? You’re not bleeding, right?”

“Ah, no,” but the guy didn’t look fully convinced and took her hand off her face to inspect the area, biting his lip and frowning in concentration.

“I’m really sorry,” he sighed as he dug his hands on the pockets of his pants, “I’ve been having an annoying morning hiding and running.”

He scrunched his nose up as if to make his point and she found herself laughing at how adorable he looked; he seemed like a dork, “From your girlfriend?”

“I don’t think we know each other so well as to be asking such personal questions,” he said amusedly as he chuckled, “but since you ask with such a judging look I’ll say I’d never dare hide from a girlfriend, if I had one.”

He said so smirking and looking straight into her eyes, “If that’s what you wanted to know,” he threw a wink her way and she felt her face heat up.

“No, it’s not,” she playfully stuck her tongue out and he laughed again.

Then, the boy bowed and repeated his apology, “I’m really sorry about earlier, I owe you,” and when she said it was fine, he offered her another smile and turned to walk down the hallway.

It was then that she realized he looked a little older than her. She wondered in which class he was and most importantly what his name was.

Looking at her phone again, she realized it was almost time for her class so she made her way there all the while thinking about the boy she had just met.

He seemed so nice and cute and Hana thought she needed more guys like that in her life.

Once in the classroom, she found a sit near the window and made her way there; the seat besides her wasn’t still occupied and she wondered what kind of person would be sitting there for the rest of the semester.

“Did you hear?” She couldn’t help but pick up from her classmates’ conversation behind her, “L.Joe is back at our school.”

“You mean, hot L.Joe? Badass L.Joe? As in the guy that went to jail and who is smoking hot?”

Hana rolled her eyes at the girls’ conversation. How come girls thought of guys like that their ideal type?

Badass and hot? Why? Looks aren’t everything.

She clearly enjoyed handsome boys, but why was it such a big deal? Besides, she didn’t judge anyone for being in jail because heck, her brother had been there and she did nothing but admire him, but these girl’s made it sound as if this boy were hot because he was in jail.

She was sure that was the last place he wanted to be and it probably was very hard for him being there.

Whatever.

She was about to take her things out when a hand grabbed the seat besides her, “Excuse me,” a voice made her look up, “is this seat taken?”

Hana found herself looking up at a face completely opposite of hers; it was a beautiful girl with short, straight blonde hair and rosy cheeks. Her eyes were almost feline and her lips were very thin. Her skirt was really short and the first two buttons of her shirt were open, no tie anywhere.

The girl looked at her sweetly and almost shy and for a moment Hana wondered why was this girl even asking to seat with the one girl that would be deemed as the nerd and outcast of the classroom.

Nonetheless, she returned the smile with the same sweetness, “Sure, I’m Hana.”

“Hi,” the girl replayed putting her things down and sitting down, “My name is Gaeul,” she added, looking a bit towards the desk.

Later that day, Hana found herself sitting and waiting for her best friend at the ice cream parlor they frequented. She looked at her phone but there were no messages form the other.

“Hello stranger,” Myungsoo said from behind her and she almost squealed and stood up from her seat almost crushing him with a hug, “I’ve missed you too but you’re killing me Nana.”

“Yah!” She said stepping a little away from him; he was so freaking tall lately, “When will you stop calling me that?”

He just shrugged indifferently; her best friend was so cold and indifferent at times.

“Maybe if you buy me ice cream,” he added a second later sticking his tongue out to her and she smiled softly.

“Okay, come on,” they walked towards the line and he started interrogating her about her day.

“It was interesting,” she said as she recalled the events of the day and how that boy definitely has a girlfriend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

AN// Here's the first chapter, I hope you enjoy it. I promise next chapter will actually feature L.Joe, this was merely an introduction. Please comment and subscribe to let me know what you think of this story and if I should continue it.