Falling for the Rebound #1

Falling for the Rebound

You only had one boyfriend in all of your life, but here you are, taking a walk around the university campus with your brokenhearted friend, who still wept about her ex boyfriend. She was almost over him until that one night, when she and her friends were sitting there exchanging stories to each other and her ex boyfriend with his new girlfriend came passing by them, looking so happy together.

 

She told you how she remembered those moments she had with her ex named, Lee Byunghun, the way butterflies would ballet in her stomach, the way her heart flusters when he would use his sweet-tongue, and especially when he used to promise his forever’s.

 

“Love ,” Hyeri slumps on the table of the kiosk.

 

“I guess,” You replied to her, taking the seat next to her.

 

“I can’t believe I fell for everything he said to me,” Hyeri tops her chin on her fists. “His forever had an expiration date.”

 

You look at her, “I really don’t know why you two fought, see? If you briefly explain what happened, I’d be able to understand your dilemma.”

 

She sat straight and started, “We fought because he didn’t like the way I dressed.” You nodded. “I wore shorts more frequently that I did. I never really liked wearing shorts out of the house before; I’ll always be in jeans and so. But when we started dating, I had more confidence in myself. I became more confident because of him and he never really saw that.”

 

“There was this one time when he told me I was changing, becoming someone else. I agree that I’ve changed, but he implies that I changed for the worse while I thought otherwise.” Hyeri told with random hand gestures. “We would always have arguments like this, but he just snapped it at that last one.”

 

In your head, you were like, oh. “I see,” You sighed. “He’s an ! That annoying. Have you ever told him why you started wearing shorts?” Hyeri just nodded. “Aigoo~ men!”

 

“He was really putting effort in our relationship. You can’t just see it, you can feel it too. But after 5 months, you can’t really feel that effort he puts in anymore. It’s as if, it vanished. Then, I could feel that I was the only one working for it.”

 

 “Also on those few months before our break up, he told me that I was becoming immature. He never told me that once before.”


“Why would he say that?”

 

“I don’t know, but I sensed there was another girl that he was comparing me to. I asked him if he was, but he said he wasn’t.”

 

“That liar. He was obviously comparing you since he never said it before, right? How could he have said that if there wasn’t someone else? How can he only say it then?”

 

“I know!”

 

It started raining hard; they were stuck in the kiosk just a few feet away from the road. Then, a car rode by, and an idea hopped into your head.

 

“Love is like a road,” You sighed.

 

“How so?”

 

“Lovers are drivers, taking on the road,” You continued. All that Hyeri could do was look at you. “L.Joe was driving for those 5 months but not so long after that, he took a break and parked his car… While you, so steadily, drove yours.”

 

“Ahh,” Hyeri was struck with awe. You took it that she got what you were pointing out. “I was driving on my own and he was parking there for a really long time.”

 

You nodded.

 

Hyeri smiled widely at amazement, “I’ve never thought of that.”

 

 

Your English teacher wasn’t around, again. He’s been like this ever since the start of the semester, your father was getting really annoyed. But you never really complained you loved it even. You just sat there, as you waited for something to happen next.

 

The next few hours flew by and you and your other friends, along with Hyeri, sat down on the grass of the campus’ façade. All the laughing and goofing around didn’t seem to move Hyeri. She has been quite down ever since this morning, a few laughs, and smiles. They didn’t last there on her face for so long.

 

You approached the stairs, where she was, and sat there at a step lower than her. “You’ve been down all day. Tell me,” You looked at her.

 

She sighed and looked at her phone. “Yesterday, I saw L.Joe and his new girl,” Hyeri said as you noticed a tear running down her cheek.

 

“But you see them every day,” You said.

 

“I know!” She wiped away her tears that wear slowly falling of her ducts. “But this one’s different,” She sniffed. “I looked at the girl! She was so happy, holding hands with him! When they were smiling and laughing…” She took out a handkerchief out of her bag. “I remembered how happy I was when I was with.” She wiped the tracks her tears made.

 

All you could do was to look. You don’t really know how it felt like, because you don’t really remember how you reacted when your first boyfriend broke up with you. All you know was you weren’t hurt when he did. You just got upset, because when you were about to send your break-up message, you received his. He actually beat you to it.

 

You sat there beside her and rubbed her back. “It’ll be fine. You’ll get over it,” You said, only to her range of hearing. “Please don’t cry,” You hugged her, and then she cried even more.

 

“What’s going on here?” You heard this relatively deep voice, a voice you aren’t really familiar with. You looked up and saw a really tall, a really cute, big-eyed, blonde guy standing there wearing a different department’s uniform. “Did something happen?” He rushed down the steps and stopped when he was about your level.

 

Hyeri looked up and met the guy’s face. “Youngmin! Why did you come just now?!!”

 

So his name is Youngmin, you thought as you watched Hyeri hitting him on his shoulder.

 

Your friend stopped and straightened up, “By the way, Yeojee this is Youngmin. Youngmin, Yeojee.”

 

You smiled and added a small, but at the same time bright ‘Hi!’ And he did the same, and then sat on the vacant space on the other side of Hyeri. You just sat there, feeling left out since neither of the two were talking to you, and besides, you won’t be able to relate. That’s why you joined your other friends.

 

“Hi, Youngmin~” Your friend, Jemi, called out to him, and he looked with matching waves.

 

They seem to know each other, you thought as your eyebrows rose.

 

You looked at your wrist watch and realized that you had to be heading back to your father’s office. It was just across the street of the university you go to, but hey, you still had to walk. “Hey, guys. I have to leave now. My dad’s probably looking for me.” You said as you walked to the corner where you and your friends left your bags.

 

“Bye~! W-w-wait! Wait! Hold it right there,” Jemi called on you before you could even get far, and you stop. “Kiss~” She sing-sang as she pointed at her cheeks. You obliged and kissed her, and then you kissed on everyone else’s cheeks before you walked to Hyeri and left a peck on her cheek.

 

“Bye guys~” You waved and left.

 

 

You walked past the guards of the main door of the office building, the people bowed at the sight of you. You rode the elevator to the 9th floor, and strode to the office of the vice president.

 

“Father?” You called out in the fabulously furnished room as you entered. “I’m here.”

 

As soon as you realized that you were alone in the room, you picked up the phone on his desk and called his assistant, who picked up her phone the 3rd time it rang. “Yes, this is the vice president’s assistant. How may I be of service?” She politely asked.

 

“Umm… Have you any idea where my father is?” You asked as politely as she did.

 

“Ah, Yeojee sshi. Of course, your father is in the conference room. Don’t worry; he’ll be out in a few minutes.”

 

“I see. Thank you so much.”

 

“You’re very welcome.”

 

You looked at the huge pile of papers at the top of the waiting desk, that’s where they keep papers that need signing that are on hold, that way the desk would stay organized. You sighed and directed at the huge glass window, you looked past the thick blinds and viewed the university and the people still in it.

 

“My life is so boring,” You said at the reflection, which was seemingly looking beyond you as well. And then, you spot your friends, they might’ve looked like ants and their faces aren’t so vivid from your perspective but you were pretty sure that it was them. You envied them because they didn’t live so far away, unlike you.

 

“Darling?” You heard your father call. You spun around and met him.

 

“Father,” You smiled as you walked to him and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“Shall we leave now?” He asks gently as he made his way to his chair and packed his stuff.

 

“How about your paperwork?” You turned at the waiting desk.

 

“I’ll just do them early tomorrow. You must be tired,” He continued.

 

 

“Vice president,” Everyone in the lobby stood in respect.

 

“Thank you for your hard work today,” Your father smiled at the workers. As for you, you didn’t know how to react that’s why you just walked with your eyes fixed on your father’s footsteps.

 

You sighed while you thought of various things that really didn’t matter.