Chapter 5

Stepping Along

Everything was okay. For a while, at least.

Luhan sat in his dining room, gripping his pen tightly as he stared at yet another problem to do in his notebook. His mother was in the kitchen making dinner while his father was in his study. Sehun was sitting on the couch in the living room, listening to whatever the television was playing.

Everything was okay. But that wouldn't last forever.

Luhan smiled at Minseok when he stepped onto the school grounds. Minseok waved back, jogging over to meet up with Luhan and his other friends. Apparently the other night when Minseok came and walked with him to pick Sehun up, he forgot something important. Luhan didn't know what it was and he felt like he shouldn't push so he accepted the apology and everything moved on. Luhan grinned at being able to laugh freely at jokes his friends said, being able to pretend everything fine. That everything was...

Okay.

But it will all come crashing down sooner or later.

Luhan noticed that Sehun had been gripping onto his hand a little tighter than he usually does for the past few days when he picked him up at school. Sehun was quieter than he usually was too... The older glanced down at the younger in concern. Sehun had his head hanging low, eyes only half open. Luhan didn't say anything. As soon as they got home, Sehun just took off his shoes and started shuffling away.

The older boy didn't go after him. Instead, he just watched. Luhan let out a sigh before he entered the kitchen to greet his mother.

Everything was okay. At least, that's what he hoped.

When Luhan arrived at Sehun's elementary school one day, he didn't expect for the little boy to nearly fall over from trying to run to him. Luhan was surprised to feel Sehun's skinny arms wrap themselves around him and for the young boy to bury his face into his stomach. The teacher only briefly explained what happened and Luhan felt rage bubbling inside him.

Everything was okay...

Sehun kept wordlessly telling him that. That he was okay but Luhan was sure that he was far from that. Being constantly teased and picked on at school was anything but okay. However, Luhan doesn't know the full story so he can't really step in.

He notices how Sehun is getting quieter (if that was even possible) and how he just isolates himself, even at home. Luhan's parents noticed as well. Luhan tried his best to explain what happened and what he heard that one day from the teacher. They even had conferences with the teacher about it but it seemed like the matter wasn't an actual issue, no matter how much Luhan tried to push otherwise.

So they brushed it off, as if…

Everything was okay.

Luhan was watching television with Sehun one afternoon. The news reporter was speaking in a slight monotone voice that it was boring Luhan to death. His eyes keep fluttering close. He would have changed the channel if the remote weren't so far away. Sehun was sitting on the floor, leaning against the couch, knees tucked in. It was almost as if he was listening to the report very attentively.

And that's when everything crashed.

Luhan didn't notice how Sehun kept curling into himself, how he was shivering, how his arms lifted, how his fingers started clawing at his face. It was only when the first scream that escaped the younger's lips that jolted him awake. Luhan quickly jerked his head around and saw Sehun in his pitiful state. When Luhan's mother ran into the room, Luhan was trying to calm a flailing, sobbing Sehun down. The young boy had his eyes squeezed shut, tears running down his cheeks, his arms kept pushing and punching Luhan away.

Everything was not okay.

Luhan sat next to his mother who was patting down Sehun's hair as the younger slept. They moved from the living room to Sehun's bedroom. The younger only calmed down when he tired himself out from crying. Luhan stared at Sehun's face, how it seemed more tired than how an eight year old should look. His mother ushered him to come downstairs to help her with dinner. Luhan nodded and followed slowly.

Luhan didn't feel okay.

It happened yet again during the school day. Luhan was surprised when the teacher told him that his mother had stopped by to leave a note for him to head straight home and to not pick Sehun up. He was even more surprised when he saw his mother, standing near the entrance to his school. His friends greeted her and waved good bye. Minseok stayed to talk briefly before he too walked away. Luhan probably wore a questionable look.

He knew what was wrong as soon as he hopped into the back seat and saw Sehun was buckled on the other side. He turned to his mother, who wordlessly nodded to him before driving home.

“Sehun had an episode at school. I had to come and pick him up early.”

Nothing was okay...

“Stop!”

Luhan was shocked when he heard Sehun's voice. Sehun was yet again having another episode. They had visited the doctor weeks ago. Sehun was suffering through bursts of memories again. The doctor had told them that Sehun's relapse triggered for him to have these episodes that would occur randomly, anytime and anywhere. They should try to calm him down as soon as they can to help relieve the stress that could arise from these sudden episodes.

“Mom...”

Luhan's heart broke when he heard the sob.

“Dad....”

Sehun had stopped thrashing. Luhan took the opportunity to hold the younger close. He could feel his shirt getting wet from Sehun's tears but that didn't matter.

“Hyung...”

Luhan didn't realize that tears were streaming down his cheeks. He didn't realize that he was crying as well. He didn't realize his emotions, the ones he worked hard to hold back, were slipping into their escape... He didn't know how long they cried but when his mother stepped into the house, returning from grocery shopping, she found Luhan staring blankly at the black screen television while clutching a sleeping Sehun tightly.

“You’re going to be okay, Sehun. Everything will be okay...”

He doesn’t know if he was trying to convince Sehun or himself that.


Oh man... It's been awhile, hasn't it?

I'm sorry for the long wait, for this story and for all my others! School has been really keeping me busy. I'm on my winter holiday now and I thought... I should update my stories, wow! And here it is.... I actually wrote this chapter a long while ago and so that's it for all the completed chapters... I will try my best to work on the rest! I hope you guys will continue to stick with this and the rest of my stories! I don't know when the next update will be but I hope it'll be soon!

Thank you to everyone who upvoted, subscribed, and commented! You guys mean a lot to me! Until the next update :)