Chapter 2

He was Sick

I want to say thank you to everyone who read, commented, and subscribed. Hopefully this chapter lives up to your expectations. It's a bit long with almost 3.0k words. Thank you again for the positive messages >_<


Jaebum arrived home exhausted. He had a plan of how he was going to spend the rest of this eventful day. He was going to complete the work he didn’t finish in the library earlier today and work on his project for his photography class. He grabbed a glass and a bottle of soju. It was definitely a drinking kind of night. He poured the soju and arranged his materials on the desk in his apartment.

Room would be the best to describe it since the only walls separated the bathroom and the living space. It wasn’t very large either. When he went apartment shopping with his family, he’d barely ended up with an apartment this cheap, only 650,000 won. He had a bed in a loft area with a closet, a bathroom, TV, kitchen, desk, some seats downstairs and enough cabinets to store everything he needed to store. His parents and grandparents had offered to let him rent a more expensive place but Jaebum didn’t want to place unnecessary financial weight on the people who had paid for him to be alive today. It was updated though, so his mother didn’t complain too much.

Jaebum’s family was important to him. They were there every day and every night. He knew his illnesses had put a strain on his parents’ marriage, but they’d gotten through it and were happy. His parents were still working though. He talked to them almost every day. His grandparents had paid for a majority of his medical bills and had kept him company when his parents were occupied with work or meetings with the doctors. His grandparents now spent their time traveling but still had a home in Seoul.

Jaebum sat down to begin his daunting amount of homework. His assignment for his Abstract Photography class had been driving him nuts lately. He seriously wasn’t into that type of photography but it was a degree requirement. Three hours later, the amount of alcohol in his blood stream had increased while the amount of soju had significantly decreased. Jaebum had learned, over the past few weeks in the class, alcohol made abstracting much easier. He completed the project and decided it was time to wind down and go to bed. He showered without getting too distracted by unnecessary thoughts, especially the ones concerning cute boys named Jinyoung.

As he laid on his bed, his thoughts did wander to Jinyoung. His pretty lips, gorgeous smile, adorable eye wrinkles and his smart appearance were definitely a combination to make Jaebum infatuated. Jaebum wondered if he liked photography, why he chose to study literature, and pretty much anything else that would bring brightness to his eyes or a smile on his face. Jaebum was interested, and it disturbed him. If mercy was granted to him, then he wouldn’t see the kid again, but as his breath started to settle and his thoughts calmed, the last thought that crossed his mind was that life had never been merciful to him.


A week since the “Encounter,” as Jaebum called it, had resulted in a few smaller encounters. These encounters were stressful in Jaebum’s opinion. In each one Jinyoung looked flawless, even if he looked like an old man, and nothing could deter Jaebum’s focus from the boy. He needed someone to rescue him from giving unnecessary attention to a person he doesn’t know.

The first encounter occurred two days after the initial “Encounter.” Jaebum was following the same schedule as the other day, which had been a Tuesday. He just got out of the most irritating Economics class to date, and the evidence was all over his face. The sun was especially bright too, erfect for a relaxing photo shoot around campus. He wondered if he was should forgo his gym time, which would relieve his irritation, to take photos and maybe possibly complete a Lighting class assignment. After a bit of debating, Jaebum decided to take photos. Reasoning that getting work done and that he still had dance practice anyway, he didn’t feel too guilty about the decision.

He walked around the campus and took pictures all over the expansive property. He took photos on different floors of several buildings that faced different directions and faced different landscapes and buildings. The photos he was taking were diverse, and the energy he felt while clicking his camera was dynamic. His ill feelings from earlier in the day were melting away. Towards the end of his allotted photographing time, Jaebum ended up in the greenspace on campus.

The sun bled through the trees. In the background was the river that attracted students and faculty to relax and experience nature in the city. Students sat on benches chatting, studying, reading, eating, sleeping, or observing their surroundings. As Jaebum captured the energy of the scene, he saw a familiar figure. Seated majestically on a bench by himself, Jinyoung was completely absorbed in a book. Jaebum stood where he was and clicked the shutter way too many times to justify. The faces Jinyoung made while reading were completely captivating.

Suddenly, Jinyoung looked up and around and he saw Jaebum across the grass taking picture. He lifts his hands and waves. Jaebum freezes. What should he do? Should he walk over and talk to him? Or maybe he should just wave back? He could pretend like he didn’t see him wave at him. He could also just continue taking pictures. He chooses the most reasonable option of waving back. Unfortunately, he completely dropped his camera on the grass like a . He apparently lost the ability to use his free hand to wave. He quickly picks it up and sees Jinyoung looking at him concerned. Jaebum doesn’t want him to worry so he signals an all good after inspecting the camera, which is thankfully alright with some new scratches. He quickly waves again so that his departure doesn’t seem too rude. As he made his way to dance practice, he considered just going home and drinking until he didn’t remember embarrassing himself in front of Jinyoung, but he’d indulged himself too much today so he continued his trek to an intense dance practice.

The second encounter was actually the next day and was not nearly as embarassing. Jaebum was on his way to get dinner with members of his dance team after practice. While the others laughed at something Yugyeom did, Jaebum peered through the doors of the other practice areas. Jinyoung was singing and dancing in the mirror by himself. His voice was gorgeous. Jaebum had too many compliments for one person. Hopefully the younger had a personality, but based on the initial “Encounter,” he highly doubted that was true.

Jaebum stopped walking and peered through the window. Jinyoung was dancing fiercely and singing passionately. It wasn’t the b-boying Jaebum did but it was definitely going to be part of a good performance that he definitely wanted to see. Jinyoung was graceful and powerful while moving through the choreography. His voice maneuvered through the notes expertly.  He was captivating. Jaebum was impressed and was tempted to continue watching the sweat drip down his pretty face. The song and dance apparently ended when Jinyoung dropped to the floor and crawled to get his water bottle. He needed to go. s were probably out of the building by now, and he didn’t want to make up a stupid excuse so he continued to exit the building. Even though Jinyoung didn’t see him, Jaebum felt guilty for not saying hello. The images of the other’s dancing and singing lingered his brain for the rest of the week.

The third encounter before Jaebum’s relationship progressed occurred in the cafeteria, on a Wednesday. Jinyoung had survived a brutal critique of another Abstract Photography paper and set of photos by his professor. Professor Song deserved to be hit in the face with a door. He walked to the cafeteria blocking out all other people and only focusing on all the harsh words he’d received. Luckily, he hadn’t been the worst; he’d actually been in the top five of the class of 24. Professor Song’s ranking system was awful. As Jaebum’s mind wandered, he grabbed a tray and mindlessly placed utensils and a plate on it. He was reading the menu when he heard a voice in front of him.

“Yugyeom, what are you going to get?” Jinyoung asked his dongsaeng.

“I don’t know. I’ll just ask the server and hopefully it’ll be good.”

“I might have to follow your lead.” He said while chuckling.

Jaebum did not need this in his life. He did not need for someone as distracting as Jinyoung to be in his prescence when he was so upset. Jaebum had wanted a peaceful lunch by himself. He’d been blessed without being followed by acquaintances of his from class.  Hopefully Jinyoung wouldn’t see him; he probably wouldn’t with Yugyeom’s tall frame blocking him. They moved through the line and received their food. Jaebum got his food and was almost safe until he arrived at the drink cooler, and luck was, apparently, not on his side today. Still making his choice, Jinyoung wore tight jeans and a sweatshirt and a baseball cap. He looked so good. Jaebum didn’t want to be weird and avoid him or be caught being awkward so he steeled himself and walked up to choose his drink. He looked over the selection and picked his drink. Unluckily, Jinyoung reached for the same drink at the same time. Jaebum’s hand touched Jinyoung’s. Jaebum yanked his hand backwards almost losing the tray in his other hand.

“Sorry.” Jinyoung uttered.

“It’s fine.” Jaebum attempted to reply cooly.

He let Jinyoung take the drink and took the next one.

“I’m sorry.”

“I said its fine.” Jaebum said sharply. He was nervous and irritated, which wasn’t the most pleasant combination.

“…It seems we keep meeting like this.”

“Yes.”

“It’s nice to see you Jaebum-sshi. I hope you have a good day.”

“You too.” Jaebum waved the hand with the drink in it.

Jinyoung waved his drink-filled hand as well and accompanied the wave with a smile. He went in the direction Yugyeom had gone, and Jaebum found a seat in the opposite direction that was sparse of people. His forehead connected with the hard table and Jaebum brought his head down repeatedly. He counted to seven before he lost his place. He’d been rude and awkward, which was obviously a terrible recipe for being friendly and appearing to be a decent person. Jaebum definitely wanted to go home. He quickly ate his food and went to the gym. He ended up puking and going to his apartment to recover. He had made himself ill and that was just an additional annoyance on top of a generally annoying day. He’d been blessed by that smile of Jinyoung’s with the eye wrinkles and teeth and the general brightness Jaebum associated with him, and he definitely did not feel deserving of such sweetness.


Jaebum had been granted mercy for the rest of that week, but that following Tuesday ended up being the worst. Professor Kim, the great Professor of Economics, gifted his classes with a project. A group project. Jaebum knew he’d be working until the due date. He was able to group up with some okay people. Knowing Professor Kim would question each member on all components of the project, they would need to finish it at least a couple of days before the due date so they would be able to read over all of the parts. After his three other members exchanged numbers, divided the project between the four members, and scheduled meeting times, Jaebum made his way to the library to start.

The library had been a sanctuary for Jaebum throughout his college years. He’d been able to escape classmates and complete assignments instead of being cooped up in his apartment. The librarians were pleasant and the setting was great for everything school related.  The library had a special place in his heart.

Jaebum searched for books that would aid in is researching the topic for his project. He gathered about five books in his arms. He was overloaded yet again. He had his camera bag, backpack with his laptop and school supplies, and his textbooks in his arms. With his arms growing weary, Jaebum searched for an empty desk and was unable to find one. He traveled throughout four floors. While surveying the fifth floor, he saw Park Jinyoung. He had books spread out around him and was invested in his note taking and reading.

Jaebum debated on how to deal with this encounter. He could go find somewhere else to sit, but that was cowardly. He could go say hello and move to somewhere else in the library. Ultimately, the choice Jaebum decided on was the bravest one. He would engage in conversation with Jinyoung. With as much confidence as he could muster and the most bravado he could fake, Jaebum made his move.

“Sorry to interrupt. I just wanted to say hi.”

Jinyoung’s head shot up from the book he was reading. He looked like a deer in headlights.

 “Hello…”

 He attempted to smooth out his appearance by running a hand through his hair and his hands over his clothes.

“May I join you?” Jaebum asked as he mimicked Jinyoung’s actions after placing the books in his hands on the table. He ran a hand through his hair.

“S-sure.” Jinyoung moved some of his things out of the way. He pushed the books and laptop that was in front of him closer towards him.

Jaebum sat in front of him and organized himself. He opened his laptop and notebook and read the requirements of his topic. He continued to order himself and he felt Jinyoung’s eyes following him. Jaebum willed himself not to blush.

“You’re left-handed.”

“Yes.”

“When is your birthday?”

“January 6, 1994”

“Oh, you’re older even though we’re born in the same year. I’ll call you Jaebum hyung.”

“When is your birthday?” asked Jaebum as he pretended like he didn’t know.

“September 22, 1994.”

“You don’t have to call me hyung then.” He was usually a stickler for respect and authority associated with being an elder, but it wasn’t important now.

“Alright.”

“What are you researching?”

“The Economics project.”

“Ah… yeah… Professor Kim really gave it to us this time.”

“Yeah. Are you nervous?”

“A bit. I have a lot of other assignments for my major, so I’ll be frazzled for a while.”

“What’s your major?”

“Photography. What’s yours?”

“Literature. Oh that explains why you were taking pictures that day.”

“Yeah. The lighting was really nice and I needed a distraction.”

“Ah.”

“What were you reading?”

“A book for class. It’s probably not interesting to you but I’m really enjoying it. I have to write an analysis of it.”

“If you’re enjoying it, tell me all about it.”

Jaebum propped his head in his hand and listened. He listened to Jinyoung animatedly tell him about this book from Japan and about the characters and the plot and the elements of literature that the story contained and the historical relevance of it. Jaebum was enchanted by Jinyoung’s description and emotions while talking. He had a bit of accent occasionally, probably from Busan. He finished his explanation of the book after a while; it had been at least an hour. Jinyoung’s passion was delightful.

Their conversations diverged to different topics. Jaebum was even able to talk about his photography. He even brought up why he snapped at Jinyoung the other day.

“I wanted to apologize about the way I responded to you the other day by the drink cooler.”

“Oh, it wasn’t a problem.”

“Even though this is an excuse, I was upset about some criticism I received about an assignment for my Abstract Photography class.”

Jaebum proceeded to explain the project and what he’d done and how his professor had responded. He even started to talk about his photography. When he felt he’d overloaded Jinyoung’s head with photography terms and concepts, they settled into working on their projects. It became late and Jaebum had dance practice in twenty minutes.   

“I have to go, but… may I have your number?” Jaebum asked as he gathered his things.

“Sure.” Jinyoung pulled out his phone and Jaebum typed his number into the phone and called himself. His phone buzzes in his pocket and he ends the call.

“I’ll see you later?” Jaebum hesitantly asked.

“Definitely.”

Jaebum smiled and turned to leave. He waved and went on his way. He felt accomplished and he hadn’t made a fool of himself. He was definitely more interested in the younger than he was before. Jinyoung was more amazing than Jaebum imagined.

He concluded that he was most definitely in trouble.