Epilogue 2

He was Sick

~Five months later~

“We’ve only been in this apartment a year, and we have to leave too soon.” Jinyoung said as he packed another box with his stuff. He checked off another box on his list in his “Moving to Canada” notebook. On one of the empty pages, he wrote the number of the box and what the box contained. He was only shipping three boxes and bringing three suitcases to his new apartment in Toronto. Anything he didn’t have, he would buy. In six weeks, classes would start. In two weeks, there would be an orientation for international students so they would be able to pay for bills and things of that nature.  

 

Luckily, he was renting a room for $750 CD a month, utilities included. It was small with only a bed and a desk and shared bathroom and living spaces, but it was very close to campus. He only brought a handful of things: clothes, shoes, books, and photos. Jinyoung was looking forward to it.

 

“You seem way too excited to leave,” Jaebum said sharply. He’d been pouting for the past week. Jinyoung quit his job at the university library. The move was really happening. He was not looking forward to the day he kissed Jinyoung one last time before he passed through airport security. That day was coming too fast.

 

It had been a good five months since they graduated. Jaebum picked up a little work, he had a few unfortunate bouts of illness that had resulted in him getting fired from his job as a photographer’s assistant. Jaebum hated the man anyway; his employer was too arrogant for his own good. But the job he picked up afterward wasn’t much better. But, he wouldn’t give his soul to corporate quit yet.

 

Jinyoung’s job at the library was good. He was able to save up about thirty percent of his paycheck every month, although they had to cut out some dates and ordering takeout. Jinyoung had to diligently budget and plan how he was going to use his savings because he was going into unknown territory in Canada. The sense of adventure was building up within him.

 

Jinyoung just shook his head and continued to smile. Both of them were moving. JAebum was going to an equally small, equally priced counterpart in Seoul. Nora would be accompanying him to the new apartment in Seoul. The new apartment wasn’t terrible. It had enough space, it was close to Jaebum’s job, and $750 a month without utilities.

 

“I can’t mope around when I’m leaving in three days. I have to help you move, go visit my parents, and go on one more date with you.” Jinyoung sealed up the box and picked up his phone. He was calling Jaebum’s mom so that she’d bring the car, so he could ship his boxes which had winter clothes and other nonessentials. As a parting gift, one of many, the Ims paid for the shipping. Tomorrow, they’d borrow the car so that they could move Jaebum in to his new place.

 

Jinyoung walked over to where Jaebum was sitting. He sat on his lap and tucked a piece of hair behind his ears. It was too long for such hot weather. He rubbed his nose against Jaebum’s face, before pressing a couple more kisses on his face. “I love you.” He started his hair. “I’ll miss you, but that won’t stop me from leaving.” He pushed Jaebum’s chin upward. “Don’t let this drive us apart.” With that, Jinyoung pressed a kiss to his lips. “Now, smile. Your mother is here to help me ship boxes.”


 

“You’re all moved in now.” Jinyoung had finished putting the last of Jaebum’s clothes in the closet. He looked around the studio apartment. There  was new, comfortable, office chair, Jinyoung’s gift to Jaebum, by the built-in desk. The couch they shared was now nestled in-between Nora’s castle and a side-table.  All the silverware and dishes were in the cabinet. Jaebum was smoothing out the bed sheets. “It looks nice.”

 

“Hopefully I won’t have to move. I think Nora’s getting tired of becoming accustomed to new homes.”

 

Jinyoung smiled and wrapped his arms around Jaebum’s neck. “What if you start making a bunch of money? Will you stay in this small place?”

 

“Yeah, the money I’ll save will go towards my plane tickets to Toronto.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah.” Jaebum kissed him. “At least once a year.”

 

“You don’t have to.” Jinyoung kissed him back. “I’ll make friends. I won’t be too lonely.”

 

“I’ll be too lonely without you.”

 

“Six years.”

 

“Six years.”

 

~Two days later~

 

“Are you ready?” Jaebum had loaded up his mother’s car. The three bags were in the trunk. Everything was packed.

 

“Yeah.” He’d said bye to his friends, his family, Jaebum’s family, and Nora. They got in the car and drove to the airport.

 

Last night, they had their last date. They went to a restaurant in a skyscraper with modernized Korean food. Toronto was supposed to have good Korean food, so Jinyoung did not expect he’d be lacking in that department. They enjoyed each other’s company. Then they went back to Jaebum’s small apartment and made love the for the first time. They didn’t go all the way, but they were physically intimate with each other. Their intertwined breaths, skin on skin, and their hands rubbing each other would be burned into their memories for a long time.

 

Too soon they were in the airport. Jinyoung was lingering in front of Jaebum. Their fingertips were lightly intertwined.

 

“I’m going to miss you.” Jinyoung said as he swung their hands.

 

“I’m going to miss you too.” Jaebum would vehemently deny that he was tearing up. “Call me when you land.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Make sure to sleep a lot during the long leg of the flight.”

 

“I will.”

 

“I want to talk to you everyday.”

 

“What if I’m busy?” Jinyoung asked with a smirk.

 

“At least text me.”

 

“What if we get in a fight?”

 

“The longest we don’t talk is three days.”

 

“Seven days.”

 

“Five days?”

 

“Okay. Five days.” Jinyoung smiled. He’d miss Jaebum. He’d miss his smile, his laugh, his kisses, his food, his cheesy lines, and his general Jaebumness. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” Jaebum pulled Jinyoung’s face to his and kissed him. He pulled away and brought his boyfriend into a hug. After a while, they separated. “Okay, you should go.”

 

“Yeah.” Jinyoung gathered his stuff so that he could check his bags efficiently. “I love you.” With one more kiss, Jinyoung quickly turned around and entered the line. He refused to look back at Jaebum or else he would cry.

 

Jaebum watched Jinyoung until he passed through security. Six years. Six years.

 

~In Canada~

 

“Yeah, I’m almost done unpacking.” Jinyoung said into the phone pressed between his shoulder and his ear. His clothes were folded into the drawers underneath his bed. He brought one suit and a couple of ties and dress shirts. As he situated himself, he planned on buying some floating shelves and a shoe rack. He also had to buy some towels, immediately.  Luckily, all of his clothes fit in the space available. Since it was a communal space, he debated on where he would put his snacks, so he decided to get a box that would go on his desk for food he didn’t want to share.

 

“I’m going to meet my advisor tomorrow. She’s going to show me to my desk and what I’m expected to do. Then I’ll go buy towels and order the shoe rack and furniture.” Jinyoung finished stacking his books. The bed only had the blanket he brought. “Yes, I’ll buy sheets too. Yes. Yes. I’ll have everything together. Jae, let me sleep. I’ll try and wake up before you go to sleep. I love you too. Good night.”

 

Jinyoung hung up his phone and put it on the charger. His travel-size toiletries were neatly stacked on one corner of the counter. He would buy full-size things when he ran out. He did have to buy shampoo though. He quickly completed his routine before changing his clothes and lying on his bed. The next week he would make adjustments so that he could make this room more comfortable since he planned on living here for the next six years.

 

~2 Months Later~

 

“Noraaaa why can’t you be a good girl?” Jaebum whined. Nora had sprinted into the kitchen as soon as Jaebum came out of the shower. “Jinyoung’s going to call any minute and you’re acting like this.”

 

At that moment, his computer began to ring. Jaebum tripped over his own feet to get to his desk. Jinyoung’s profile picture, proudly taken by Jaebum himself, rested in the middle of  the screen. Jaebum settled himself before answering.

 

“Hey” They said at the same time. Jinyoung giggled. He was leaning against the headrest in his pajamas. He had a cup of something hot on the side table. Above his head, Jaebum could see several pictures of them hanging on a line. It warmed his insides seeing that small decoration.

 

“How are you?” Jaebum began.

 

“Good. As I told you before, having classes in 100% English is mentally taxing. One of the upperclassmen, who’s from China, said I’ll get used to it by next month, but by then it’ll already be October which is halfway through the semester. But I guess it’s okay since that’s how it will be for the rest of my time here.”

 

“What do you like most about being there?”

 

“Well… I guess the diversity. There are so many people from all over the world. Out of the fifteen people in my department, six of them aren’t native English speakers. I’m one of the six just so you know. I can already tell my perspective on the world is changing. Like I love South Korea, but it’s pretty homogenous. Seoul is good for some diversity, but more often than not I was surrounded by Koreans. I think this will be a good experience for me. ”

 

Jaebum was amazed at how thoughtful his boyfriend was every once in a while, meaning a couple of times every phone conversation. “That’s very cool. How has class been so far? I know you said it was going well last week, but I’m just wondering if anything has changed.”

 

“Everything’s still good. I have those three classes I attend twice a week which is fine, schedule wise. They’re interesting and the literature is fascinating. It’s really challenging too.”

 

“Already?”

 

“You always ask that,” Jinyoung giggled, “I’m in graduate school. Don’t you know everything’s at a  high-level here? Would it be worth the money if it wasn’t? Work wise we have papers and everyday responses.

 

“I know. They wouldn’t be deserving of my baby if they weren’t.” Jaebum smiled. “I just don’t want you to be discouraged though.”

 

“I’m not… I’m actually looking forward to the challenges.” Jinyoung lifted the mug to his lips. “How about you? How have you been lately?”

 

“Same. I’m still working for a couple real estate offices shooting pictures. It’s pretty boring. But… the university has officially hired me as a cinematographer for whatever videos they want.”

 

“You didn’t tell me about that.”

 

“Yeah… it’s not that big of a deal. Both positions are basically part-time. I mean the university job is technically full-time, but it’s so easy that I barely stay there all eight hours. The senior in my department always wants me to either edit ten-hours worth of videos into a fraction of that time or edit out imperfections such as thinking and fillers or do the closed captioning. It’s so bland. Also he always gives me overtime work and wants me to stay in the office when I could definitely do it at home. He always teases me about if i have a girlfriend. He’s such a worm. That’s why his fiancee broke up with him: inferiority complex.”

 

Jinyoung laughed. “ That sounds awful, but didn’t you want some easy work to start off with?”

 

“Yeah but now after two weeks there and seven months doing real estate photos, I want something creatively challenging. I want to make art.”

 

“What type of art? What’s on your mind?”

 

“I have no idea.” Jaebum thought for a couple of seconds. “I just want to make something mentally stimulating. I want whoever is watching to get excited, even if it’s one of the most boring things in the world.”

 

“I believe you will be able to do that.” Jinyoung gave Jaebum a smile that warmed him to the cored. “My Jaebum is a creator. In time, you’ll find something that suits you perfectly. Don’t rush. There will be an opportunity that comes your way that will allow you to fulfill your dreams. ”

 

Jaebum smiled and blushed slightly. “Thanks babe.”

 

Jinyoung smiled and sipped more of whatever was in his mug. “How’s Nora?”

 

“Currently she’s sitting in the kitchen. She’s been a bit moody lately.” Jaebum paused. “I think the move might be affecting her, plus you’re gone, so she misses you. She’s probably feeling a lot of different things.” Jinyoung had been gone for two months so far. Two months out of about seventy-two.

 

“How can you tell? Are you sure you’re not just worrying.”

 

“She waits at the door even though I’m already home. She also sits on your side of the couch and then she hissed at me when I tried to move her. Plus she’s scratched me a couple times too when I wanted her to give me attention.”

 

“I acknowledge the first and second piece of evidence, but are you sure you’re not projecting onto her? She probably scratched you because you’re annoying and clingy.”

 

He scoffed. “Is that how you truly feel? That I’m clingy and annoying,” Jaebum faked offense and hurt.

 

Jinyoung laughed. “No…” In a small voice, “Not all the time.” Jinyoung laughed again. In order to get in his good graces again,  “Nora!” He heard a faint reply. “Don’t be coy with your father. He just wants some love.”

 

“You think she’ll listen to you after you insulted me?” Jaebum teased. “Have you made any more friends yet?”

 

“Yeah. The department is bigger than others, so I’ve been able to meet a lot of people. I try and accept any social offers since I need to make connections. Their friends become my friends.  I’ve actually bonded with some of the people in the international student program from a couple weeks ago. Also, I’ve gotten to know my roommates. One’s a girl and the other is a boy. Skye, the girl, is a doctoral candidate, and Lin, the boy, is also a grad student in his last year. They’re really nice…”

 

Jaebum stopped listening. Jinyoung kept throwing excessive amounts of English in perfect pronunciation into his answer. Jaebum took the time to appreciate Jinyoung’s features. His skin looked good, so it seemed like he was keeping up with his routine. His hair was shorter than it had been last week when they video called. In the two months since he’d left, Jaebum had attempted to talk about anything but Canada or the people there. It still hurt that they were separated by such a large distance, and all the new people in his life would remind Jaebum of that fact.

 

“Are you listening?” By the way Jaebum reacted, Jinyoung got his answer. He decided to just change the subject. “What about you? Have you been going out?”

 

“Not too much. I can’t be bothered. Bambam and the others go out pretty often. I might join them one day.”

 

“Go. I don’t want you to be stuck in the house too much. It’s healthy to be social.” Jinyoung readjusted himself on his bed. “Have you been taking pictures or doing something else?”

 

“Yeah, I usually go shoot after work. Bambam joins me sometimes since he’s been dabbling in drones and video editing, which is not my style. I’m more into traditional photography with fun editing. Not that I don’t like drones, but I like doing the camerawork myself.”

 

“Who knew someone could join you during ‘Jaebum time.’ I should learn from Bambam.” Jaebum glared at him. Jinyoung just giggled. “How’s everyone else doing?”

 

“Good. Jackson’s actually going to graduate on time, surprisingly. He’s going to go to medical school in the U.S. so maybe he’ll be able to visit you. Youngjae’s been accepted into a graduate school for music therapy. He’s really excited. Bam got an internship with some design house or something urban and fashion related. Yugyeom is going to dance with some friends I believe.”

 

“Why do you sound so vague about Yugyeom’s plans?”

 

“That’s all he told me. I don’t know if he’s guesting at a studio or just dancing with a crew or whatever. I think he wants to have some freedom to create.”

 

“We’re all moving on into the real world. I’m so happy.” Jinyoung smiled and began to settle into his bed. He rearranged himself, the laptop, and his blanket. “I’m sleepy.”

 

“I bet you had a busy day,” Jaebum said warmly. “You should go to bed now.”

 

“No,” Jinyoung whined. “I wanna talk some more. I missed you and Nora a lot this morning. When I woke up this morning, I looked for you but you weren’t there. I wanted your thighs so they could warm my feet.”

 

“I’m glad you just want me for my thighs and their warming ability. But I don’t miss that whenever you did that, sometimes you knocked me in the balls.”

 

Jinyoung laughed. “I just enjoy using your body as my own personal heater.”

 

“I’ll buy you an electric blanket since you miss me so much.”

 

“No, buy me a heater. I want that more. Plus its more expensive.” Jinyoung seemed to get distracted and play with some threads on his bed. “When are you going to visit me?”

 

Jaebum sighed and leaned back in the chair. “My rate of saving tells me I should be able to afford a two week trip in the summer.”

 

“That’s all?”

 

Jaebum tried not to be hurt by Jinyoung’s reaction. He didn’t make that much money, plus he had expenses. “Sorry sweetheart. I might be able to stretch it another couple of days, but my jobs won’t allow for longer vacations.”

 

“Am I going to have to look forward to two weeks a year for six years?”

 

“No, but until I find something where I’m making money, I won’t be able to do much more than a month a year.” Jaebum said matter-of-factly. He looked at Jinyoung who’s eyes seemed to be more glassy than usual. “Are you going to cry? Don’t cry.”

 

“NO.” JInyoung rubbed his eyes. “I just want to see you and touch you for as long as possible.”

 

Jaebum sighed. “Me too baby. I'll do my best to come twice a year.”

 

Jinyoung began to softly cry for real. “I don't want you to work too hard. Plane tickets are expensive so you should only come once. I'll be okay. I did this to myself.”

 

“Don’t say that. You’re doing what’s best for you. Don’t hate yourself for that.” Jaebum rubbed his head. “Baby, don't cry. How about this? I'll do my best to visit more often or longer.”

 

“No. I don’t want you to be troubled because of me.”

 

“I won’t be.” Jaebum paused. He was getting a bit choked up. When would the distance become comfortable? “You just continue on your path. It'll work out no matter what. You can't let temporary feelings interrupt your goal. Don't blame yourself either. We're just two young people with no money, just like everyone other young person all over the world.”

 

Jinyoung sniffled. “Okay. Let’s continue on our respective paths. There will be a time where we will be together again. We’ll be together under the same roof with Nora and whatever other cats you can’t stop finding.”

 

Jaebum smiled. “I think it’s time for the crybaby to go to bed.”

 

“Don’t act like you were unaffected.” Jinyoung pouted slightly as he wiped away lingering tears. “I am going to go to bed though. I love you. I love you so much.”

 

“Love you more. Goodnight. Stay warm and sleep well.” Jaebum waved as he ended the call. He couldn't help but worry about Jinyoung who was so far away from home and so far away from him. If they were like this after two months, what would they be like for the next six years?

 

~Time skip 4 months~

 

Jinyoung came out of the bathroom bleary eyed. It was eight o’clock in the morning, but he felt dead. The weather was the most intense cold he’d experienced, which was strange since he was from South Korea. As he was searching through his closet for the perfect sweater, he had class today which meant he had to show up like he had his life together, the ringtone for Jaebum’s call rang throughout his room. Trying to push down his annoyance at being disrupted, Jinyoung trotted to his desk. Of course it was a video call.

 

“Hello, why are you calling so early?” Jinyoung attempted to look alive and happy to see his boyfriend.

 

“Good morning my love.” Jaebum could tell Jinyoung was faking enthusiasm, but he’d wanted to catch him before he went to school. Although he mostly wanted to tell him good news as soon as possible. “I have a surprise for you.” Jaebum singsonged on the screen.

 

“Okay, I have to get ready though.” Jinyoung walked back to his closet and pulled a thick sweater on over his t-shirt. It’d probably be too warm in class. “What is it?”

 

“So I just bought my tickets for the summer.”

 

“Tickets for what? What are you doing in the summer?” Jinyoung asked as he pulled on his pants.

 

“Visiting the love of my life?”

 

“Who? Me?” Jinyoung’s sleepy brain couldn’t process Jaebum’s hinting. “Wait… you bought your tickets to Canada? You didn’t tell me you were thinking of purchasing them.”

 

“I got a couple of monetary Christmas gifts from family and I got a bonus from work. Plus I was finally able to confirm vacation time with both jobs, so as soon as I got the confirmation and attained the funds, I booked my trip. Via Korean Air, I’ll be in your presence from approximately from Friday, May 18th to Saturday, June 2. My outgoing flight will arrive around 10 a.m. My departing flight leaves at 12:40 p.m. I have no choice but to leave on Saturday because I have to go back to work and I’ll be arriving Sunday afternoon.

 

“How much were they? Was the price good?”

 

“It was a little over 1,000,000 won, but that’s okay. I didn’t expect them to be much cheaper.” Jaebum saw the face Jinyoung made after he spilled the price. It was in between a wince and an apologetic look. “Hey, it’s okay. I’ve been saving for the trip since we graduated.”

 

“I know but still… You could have used that money for a new camera or like any other expenses you have.”

 

“No, I saved that money in order to visit you in Canada.”

 

“I know…” JInyoung was beginning to get worked up. “What about Nora?”

 

“My parents will probably take care of her. Do you want to see her?” Jaebum seemed to walk around his apartment in search of the cat. “Found her!” Jaebum scooped her up from the kitchen floor. “Nora, say hi to Jinyoung.”

 

“Hi Nora! Are you being good for your daddy? I bet he keeps bothering you.”

 

“I don’t. I let her be peacefully.” Jaebum moved to the living room and sat on the couch. “Why do you think I’m so clingy?”

 

“Because you’re clingy, especially when you’re lonely.” JInyoung paused. “I like to think you’re lonely and give your overflowing need for attention to Nora. I like to think you miss me.”

 

“I do miss you.” Jaebum rubbed Nora’s head. “ I just don’t use Nora as a substitute. She is my child and roommate. We have established rules. She only comes into my space at night or when I’m in the living room. When I miss you, I call or look at pictures of you or do work. If there’s ever a time I seem like I don’t miss you, I must be good at masking my longing for you.”

 

“I miss you too.” JInyoung picked at his sweater. “I’ll stop teasing you about Nora then.”

 

“It doesn’t bother me. I just don’t want you to accuse me of harassing my daughter.”

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “Cat-dad Jaebum does not harass his child Nora. I’ve said it.”

 

“Thank you. Don’t you have to go to school?”

 

“! I love you but I gotta go. Call me later. I’m super excited you’re coming.” Jinyoung blew a kiss.

 

“Love you too. Have a good day at school.” Jaebum hung up. Four more months until he could kiss in person.


Thank you guys for continuing to read this even though I was gone for so long. Thank you new people for giving this story a chance. Thank you for reading and subscribing.  Also comment. I live for comments. Just s you guys know where this story is going, it's honesly getting longer and longer, so basically it's a sequel but not quite.