Taeyeon Kim

Consciousness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    “It’s called Hogwarts.”

    “Pardon?”

    Yeri turned away, “My school; its name is Hogwarts.”

    The two were in the middle of their usual day, walking around town and skating.  It never really seemed to get old with all the new construction and hustle and bustle.  Seulgi laughed through the gaps of her teeth as she gathered up her hair into a ponytail.  Once she had taken the hair tie from her teeth, she whirled to Yeri’s direction, to find the said girl rather restless.  A faint blush graced her cheeks and she coughed away the delicate atmosphere.  Seulgi closed her eyes and raised her face to the sky to feel the warmth, “What kind of a name is Hogwarts?”

    Yeri let out a laugh so faint, Seulgi barely caught it.  “It is a rather strange school.”  Seulgi hummed, prompting her to continue.  “School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”

    The latter snorted, “Now you’re pulling on my leg.”

    Seulgi said nothing as Yeri rambled about this supposed school.  From boarding a train somewhere between platforms nine and ten, to crossing a huge crystal-like lake to reach the entrance of a castle of a school.  She nearly interjected when the younger (delusional) girl began to tell her about the ghosts that floated around, and walls that seemed to move.  Yeri spent a good five minutes going on about stairs that disappeared some days, and led to other floors the next, and how difficult that made her first year at Hogwarts.  Seulgi’s mouth watered once she mentioned the banquets of food they had on special occasions, as well as the palatable meals they had throughout the day.  The only time Seulgi regained her senses was when Yeri was somewhere in her fifteen minute ramble about a trouble maker named Joy, whom she had a fondness of.  The older girl briefly beamed with pride at the thought of Yeri getting away with causing disorder.

    The latter grimaced, “This Joy kid better not replace me.”

    Yeri’s eyes sparkled with delight, “So you believe me?”

    “No,” Seulgi hisses, “what kind of nonsense is that?”

    Yeri frowned deeply.  The space between her eyebrows seemed to disappear with disapproval as she scanned the intersection they were around.  Seulgi watched with anticipation; what else could this girl come up with?  She nearly pulled the girl along forcibly before the said girl pointed at an ice cream shop in the distance, “There!”

    Seulgi cocked an eyebrow, “What?”

    “Remember those tricks?” Yeri grinned sinisterly, “I’ve gotten permission from Professor McGonagall to perform magic to prove to the likes of you that it exists.”

    And so Seulgi allowed the crazed girl to drag her to the empty ice cream parlor, where they were greeted by a cheerful young man who had been sweeping behind the counter.  He had curly blonde hair and a freckled face, though something about his smile spoke trouble to Seulgi.  “Hello!  Welcome to Ice Dream! What can I get for you?”

    Yeri had a delusional glint in her eye, and Seulgi thought best to stay out of her way while she ironically worked her magic.  The younger girl pointed to the cups in the back, requesting to see them to determine the size she wanted.  Seulgi merely watched Yeri’s grin widen as he turned around to comply to her order.  She took a moment to wonder how she became friends with a lunatic.  From the hem of her jeans, Yeri pulled out a long, windy brown stick.  Seulgi’s eyes widened, “Where did that come from?” She harshly whispered.

    Yeri mouthed, “It’s a wand.”  

    Before Seulgi could point out the ridiculous situation they were in, Yeri gave the wand a wave, muttered something incoherent under breath, and, to Seulgi’s horror, cackled.  A bright green ball of light shot from the tip of Yeri’s wand to the knees of the blonde haired boy.  His scream was muffled by Yeri’s laughter, “That’s what you get for pushing my head down the toilet, Pince!”

    Seulgi looked up to see him topple over, his legs bound together by some invisible force.  Yeri blew the smoke from her wand triumphantly. “That’s called the Leg-Locker Curse.  They teach you basics like that in your first year.”

    “How dare you use magic outside of school?” The blonde boy squeaked, “The Ministry will have your head for this!”

    Yeri pouted, “Oh, boo-hoo.  I guess I’ll also fess up about your little escape to the Forbidden Forest last year as well?”

    “You wouldn’t dare,” he snarled.

    “Oh, I dare,” Yeri beamed before turning to Seulgi, who had been too stunned to say anything, “now, pick your flavor and scoop it out.  I’m sure little Jugson wouldn’t mind.”

    Fearing aggravating the younger girl, Seulgi quickly scooped out a cup of ice cream and watched as Yeri did the same, throwing taunts at the boy named Jugson Pince.  The latter merely threw back threats about some Ministry of Magic, and it finally dawned upon Seulgi that this was not a dream.

    Yeri’s voice became distant until eventually, it nodded off into nothingness.

 

    Seulgi awoke later that evening to the sound of slurps.

    “You’re awake!  Jeez, I thought I was going to have to slap you or something.”  Seulgi turned to find Yeri happily devouring both cups of ice cream.  Insane memories of the day flooded Seulgi’s mind as her eyes widened in horror at the sight.

    “You--the boy--,” Seulgi stuttered, “Pince?!”

    Yeri’s expression darkened momentarily, “Jugson Pince.  Bloody traitor that guy is!  The only other half-blood in the house and up to the purebloods to gain popularity.”

    “Uh,” Seulgi uttered.

    “He pushed my head down a toilet!  A boy’s toilet, mind you!”

    Throughout Yeri’s huffs and puffs, Seulgi finally regained her awareness.  She looked Yeri once over.  Her face was flushed from the ranting, her fists clenched, and her hair disheveled.  She looked like a kitten who had just fallen off of a table, to be honest.  Seulgi’s gaze bore into her and Yeri quickly felt like she was some kind of specimen.  “Why are you staring like that?”

    Seulgi stayed quiet for a moment.  “So you really are a wizard, huh, squirt?”

    “Witch, to be technical, but stick it to the man, am I right?”

    “Er,” Seulgi mumbled, continuing to eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter