Dirty Shirt

Consciousness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    It had been weeks since that fateful day down in London, and it’s only a few weeks closer to the beginning of the school year for Yeri.  A splash of excitement livened her spirits as she skipped down to the small, worn car of parking lot seven.  The sun was high in the sky and Seulgi had barely begun stir.  In fact, she grumbled in distaste once Yeri had opened the car to lie down next to her.

    “You’re not up yet, Seulgom?”

    “Been waiting for you, actually,” Seulgi yawned, “couldn’t sleep.”

    Seulgi felt the palms of her hands dew with sweat and the present beads on her head dribble into her hairline.  She eyed Yeri curiously as the younger girl buried herself onto her clammy arm.  Did Yeri sleep fine every night?  Probably; the kid was full of a tank of energy that never depleted.  Seulgi wondered if sleeping was supposed to feel that horrible, and that nightmares were just a sick way of telling her she’s been doing it wrong.  She felt like she had just run a marathon.  Yeri didn’t take any notice as of Seulgi’s inner turmoil as she hummed and  her eyes fluttered shut.

Her dream was strange, but not anything different.  The first thing she recalled was a swift green essence moving across a plane inundated in darkness.  It looked like something less than a ghost, but more than a neon whisp of smoke, though, to be honest, Seulgi could never be sure.  What troubled her was that the darkness seemed to engulf her, and not just visually; she felt herself suffocating from seemingly nothing.  A short breath escape her lips with a squeaky groan.  And in the blink of an eye, it was no longer dark.  Clamped painfully around her neck were the hands of a burly man.  He had a wide face, a pink nose and yellow stained teeth in the middle of a thick orange beard.  If Seulgi wasn’t being murdered by this man, she supposed she would have taken him as a jolly lumberjack.  The growl under his breath rung cruelly through her ears as she, now aware of the present, pulled Yeri closer.  

    She didn’t quite remember how she managed to get out of the situation she faced within her unusual dream.  Though she doesn’t think she’ll ever overlook the green glint in the man’s eyes before his grip fell limp and coincidentally, Yeri had woken her up.  Seulgi was frustrated, to say the least.  Her nightmares had never progressed past the green pools behind the other person’s eyes before she’s woken up.  It didn’t matter if she had slept for a day or for an hour, all her nightmares ended at that point.  It was as annoying as seeing the movie credits roll before the film started.

    “Did you have nightmares again?”

    Seulgi shifted, “Yeah.”

    Yeri made a noise somewhere between a sigh and a grunt before pulling the both of them off the sticky car bed, “C’mon.  Let’s walk around town, we can steal an ice cream or two.”

    “You made me promise not to steal anymore,” Seulgi mused, a playful glint in her eyes as she watched the younger girl cough in discomfort.

    Yeri looked away, “Because you were kind of bad at it.”

    “Hey!”

    The younger girl laughed airily before tugging on Seulgi’s arm, “Don’t take it to heart, you know I adore you.  I wanna show you some tricks up my sleeve.”

 

    “Wow,” Seulgi muttered sarcastically, “some tricks you have there.”

    Yeri spun on her heels and pointed an accusing finger in Seulgi’s direction.  The two were walking down an empty road to Yeri’s house.  The sun was nearly done setting, painting the sky blue, pink, and every color in between.  “You tripped!  What kind of an ex-thief trips on their way out of a store?  Look at the mud

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter