새의 프래시백

on the night's air

【the flashback of a bird】

 

The five guys— Dongwoo, Junghwan, Sunwoo, Chanshik and Jinyoung. Spent everyday together, they hanged out pretty well too, they were actually all almost already close to each other... well, because four of them were blood type A, and the only one with the blood type B was Sunwoo. But still, they could deal with that... they're already a group of friends now. Dongwoo didn't have any more questions in his mind that made him all depressed anymore, and Jinyoung was glad about it. Because he took efforts to keep him calm by brewing teas, playing the guitar which Dongwoo never used anymore and all things to keep Dongwoo away from sadness.

 

Dongwoo and Jinyoung still hanged out at the bear's house, then pay a visit at Chanshik's where Junghwan and Sunwoo were almost practically living there. Chanshik didn't mind, he was happy about it anyways. Since, he was living alone there and it had the right rooms for them to sleep.

 

And then now, after the winter and spring season, Junghwan planned a summer vacation for the five of them.

 

"This will be a blow!" Junghwan excitedly squirms on his seat as the van they borrowed from Chansik's uncle started to move to the road, "I'm so excited!" He squealed as he pulled Sunwoo into a big tight hug. "Yah! Lee Junghwan stop moving around!" Sunwoo protests.

Junghwan stops and gave him a weird look and whined, "Yah! I'm your hyung!" Sunwoo shifted into a more comfortable position and snorted, "Just five months, Lee Junghwan," and then laughed devilishly.

 

Dongwoo sighed as he looked out of the window. "Something bothering you, Shinwoo?" Jinyoung pokes at Dongwoo's arm. Dongwoo felt a slight jolt, "O-oh, uh, nothing really..." He glances at the three boys at the back playing rock-paper-scissors, "I just didn't got a good sleep."

 

Jinyoung nodded as he looked straight ahead, though their hyung in his 30's joined them to drive the car until to the airport in Incheon. "You guys back there don't make a ruckus around here."

 

"Yeah, yeah hyung we won't—- AH-YAH! HAHAHAHAHAHA! N-no! Stop it!" Junghwan laughed as he got tickled by the other two beside him. Their hyung just sighed and gave a small smile as he continued driving.

Dongwoo awkwardly ran both of his hands to his thighs as then Jinyoung spoke, "This trip would be surely fun."

 

×××

 

They arrived to the airport and waved goodbye to their hyung as they walked away went into the plane, "Wah, this is daebak!" (a/n; daebak = awesome) Lee Junghwan, then again, kept on saying how cool was the airport and everything. The four other guys kept those half-asleep faces, "Shinwoo-ah," Jinyoung said to Dongwoo, "How can Junghwan be full of life every time?" Dongwoo gave a small sigh, "I actually don't know but, let's just deal with this guy while we're in Jeju later."

 

Then after some minutes, the five boys dozed off to sleep immediately.

It took almost an hour before they can land to Jeju, which was great because they can still get to the hotel and rent more earlier. The weather had a great condition today, the temperature was quite hot but it was windy. Sunwoo found a bus for tourists, and by their intuitive... they headed inside the bus. They were shown maps and places to pick before they can head off and start their small vacation, until then Junghwan found a great spot—at least for him. But, he thought of getting the others' consent. "Look, it has night concerts by the ocean... they have a lighthouse, a cool cliff and a hotel to stay!" His eyes sparkled in happiness as he points out a place 100 kilometers away from them right now. He then returns on being more serious, "Well, I think this is okay... I've considered the budget for it too anyways."

 

"What do you guys think of it?" Dongwoo said, since he was the oldest. He needed the consents of him and everybody, "I'll go by anywhere." Sunwoo said and Chanshik nodded with the thought. He then, looks at Jinyoung, "Me? I'm fine by anywhere too."

 

Dongwoo mouthed a small okay as he looked at the hotel's information and prices, he slightly nods and takes a breath. "Okay then, we'll go with Junghwan's choice." Then Junghwan hissed a yes as he excitedly waits. They spent their time having selcas and using Junghwan's monopod in the whole trip, it was full of happiness inside the bus. The middle aged ladies were giggling of how cute the boys were, and other adults with them agreed to their thought too, reminiscing their youth back then.

 

People were going out and some coming in to the bus, Chanshik points out on the map the road where trees were surrounding the pathway, "Our destination... is just right ahead of us."

 

After more than 20 minutes, they got out of the bus and thanked the driver. They already stood on a flat pathway of rocks, surrounded by white sand that were blinding to the eyes, then there were furnished vines on the outside structure of the hotel. It felt adventurous and somewhat classy too, they went on inside and was greeted by the receptionist. Dongwoo dealt with the picking of the rooms since he—then again, was the hyung.

 

Though, Jinyoung stopped him and gave him a small smile, "I'll handle this, I know you're quite tired." Dongwoo then slowly gave the space where he was standing to Jinyoung as he sat on one of the chairs joining Chanshik. "Hey hyung," The younger called out, "I've got something to ask."

 

"Hmm?" Dongwoo hummed in question. "This might be a weird question but Chanshik shifted his body and looked at his hyung, "Do you like Jinyoung hyung?"

Dongwoo gave the maknae a look saying, 'what-kind-of-question-is-that?'

"Yeah, I like him... Uh, he's my best friend since we were kids... so, yeah." Dongwoo hoped Chanshik didn't got the wrong intention because he knows what Chanshik meant. Chanshik chuckled, "No, I meant if you like him as a—"

 

"Shinwoo-ah! Here's the keys." Jinyoung handed out the keys to Shinwoo. Sunwoo and Junghwan joined in the room, "So apparently one room has three beds and the other one has two beds," Jinyoung explained.

 

Junghwan thought of an idea, "Wait! Let's make this more fun," He looked at Jinyoung, "Hyung, do you know which has three and which has two beds?"

"Oh, no. I haven't thought about that, let me ask—" Jinyoung was immediately cut off and Junghwan then, held Jinyoung's wrist. "No, it's okay. It's part of the small game I thought." Junghwan releases his hyung's wrist, and Jinyoung mouthed a small 'oh-kay?'

 

"So, we'll be picking our own bedroom from the two. Without telling it to anybody. One by one. Will go to the bedroom that they want and stay silent, unless if you want to be paired in a room with a noisy one." He wiggled his eyebrows and gave a funny smile, indicating that he's the so-called 'noisy one'. "No protests. If you don't get the room with another bed, you'll be sleeping on the floor—or on the couch if they have any. Any questions? No? Okay, let's start!"

 

They picked who was going in first and it was Chanshik, next Sunwoo, Jinyoung, Junghwan and the last, Dongwoo. He was aware that the four already had picked their bedrooms and it was his time to pick his place. He sighed as he took the stairs, walked straight, looked to the left and right corridors. He turned to the left and found the door at the far end back, he didn't hesitate to pick and just opened the door and went inside with his luggage, he felt somewhat lucky and relieved since Jinyoung was in the room, but unlucky because Chanshik was already there and there were only two beds— and no couch.

 

I'll be sleeping on the floor then, how lucky, Shin Dongwoo.

 

The two guys in the room were already in their sleeping clothes, so Dongwoo decided to change then first. Then, Chanshik got a call from Junghwan, "Yeah hyung, Dongwoo-hyung just went in here." He says as he looks at his hyung with a smile on his face just before going in the bathroom to change, Jinyoung can hear the annoying laugh of Junghwan on the other line. "Yeah. Okay, okay sure," and the call ended as Dongwoo goes out of the bathroom.

 

Well, that was fast. Jinyoung thought.

 

"Hyung said we should sleep for the night, we aren't hungry anyways. We can eat a big breakfast tomorrow morning." Chanshik said. Dongwoo just nodded and Jinyoung said 'Okay.' as he was fumbling with his phone—looking at one selca of him and Dongwoo from earlier. He refrains himself from smiling too much and stayed with a normal smile of his. Chanshik fell asleep immediately, Dongwoo lays down the mattress provided on the other door plus a comfortable blanket, and then opened a small lamp then closed the lights.

 

After some hours, the aircon was making it really cold throughout the night, and while Dongwoo was curling himself into a ball he felt getting more colder. Jinyoung could hear the small teeth chatters of Dongwoo that kind of woke him up, so he thought of taking a peek. "Yah, Shinwoo-ah." He poked his hyung and Dongwoo looked back at him sleepily, "W-why?"

 

Jinyoung hesitated saying it but he did so, "Come sleep next to me. It's cold." He then offered his hand to Dongwoo and pulled him up to his bed. Dongwoo was really tired so he slept instantly on Jinyoung's bed without shifting to give Jinyoung some space.

 

Jinyoung sighed and chuckled, he turned around to Dongwoo and rested his elbow on the pillow above him, and the side of his jaw rested above his palm. He stared at Dongwoo comfortably. Even it was quite dark, the faint light of the lamp inside their room and the lighting of the moon from the outside was enough to make figure of his best pal's face, sleeping soundly below the covers.

He thought of the word, 'pal'. Though, he was doubting the word. 

"Shinwoo-ah," He started silently, like a small whisper, "For me, I wouldn't just call you 'my pal' actually..." He crinkled his nose because he felt weird, like, going to confess a sin. But it's not a sin, just a... love confession. He was pretty shocked with what he's doing, but thought that he might not have a chance later on or in the future, so he'd better make the best of it now, "I-I'd think, it's better to call you 'my love'—" He immediately stops as his consciousness was overcoming him, he felt funny for himself like he was acting on TV for a romance drama role.

 

"Okay, no. This isn't funny," He sighed as he took a deep breath and he felt relaxed as he closes his eyes and somewhat do some calming techniques.

He then, uses his other hand to arrange Dongwoo's blown hair. He smiles as he feels like this is what lovers do, too bad they aren't. "Well, do you think... if I didn't love you... I-I wouldn't waste my whole hours, days, years, just to find you?" The younger ran his hand down to cup Dongwoo's cheek, he felt the cold skin but the radiating warmth from his hand was spreading slowly, as he closed his eyes and...

 

Should I give up? It seems impossible to find him anymore, why did I have to get separated in the first time? I'm getting tired... but I won't give up, Shinwoo's the only one that I have.

 

Though, if the transformation comes... I hope he'd still remember me.

 

I flew down to the city where the breeze was flowing towards the ground, and past few blocks... there he is. There he is... he never left the city. How dumb of me not to think about coming here first.

 

I can make out his chubby face like from before... he still wore those glasses that I gave him.

 

I feel that... I could tear up any second because of this. I've been wandering almost the half of Korea, but I just needed to stay where we'd always meet up.

 

I flew to his balcony, stared at him... my features were pure white and it's impossible for him not to notice me. There he started, amazed... though all I know is that he spent his time talking with me. I never expected him to be so sad, his face... it was tired and sore. His eyes gotten more smaller... did he cry?

I feel so sorry for Shinwoo, I want to hug him but I couldn't and the only way is to stay with him... because I know, if I got back to my normal body, I'd hang out with him again.

 

I'd... start loving him too, like how I planned to.

 

×

 

I met the three of his friends, they were nice and funny. Shinwoo and I hanged out often even in this bird-body of mine. But there had the time to come that I needed to go away and find the way to transform myself again. When I was back to that witch's hut -- W-Which I accidentally... killed her when I tried to escape, but, I had to. -- Her spellbook was hard to find, but eventually I found it under the wooden floors.

 

I only need a magical pentagram, rosemary oil and a branch of any tree...

 

{Converting a cursed bird to a human being}

PROCEDURE: Cast a converting pentagram exactly on the first night, three days before the new moon (make sure the pentagram is exposed to the moonlight); The individual concerning this spell must stay inside the pentagram for three days without eating nor drinking anything, meditation will be needed; Trace the oil to the pentagram and place the branch on the middle; Then let the individual inside and wait for the day of transformation—the midnight of the new moon.

 

I have to do this, it'll just be three nights... you'll see me again in the morning.

 

×

 

Jinyoung sighed, "I just love you Shin Dongwoo, since we were young... I thought I'm crazy but I am not." He closes his eyes and lies himself down completely, "Am I crazy?" He runs his hand down to his chin and stare at the ceiling, slowly fading away until he hears a voice...

 

"Nah, hyung, you aren't crazy. I can see that. Though, don't worry. I won't tell anyone about this." And Jinyoung can hear his heart pounding out so loud, as Chanshik chuckles and goes back to sleep.