Chapter 1

Détacher

"We’re over Choi Seungcheol."
"No wait, I’m sorry okay? I can explain it kaeun.."
"Explain what? I went by your place to tell you that you left your jacket at my house but then I saw you pressing your lips against someone new? This is the second time you did this to me after our break up! You -"

He suddenly put his lips on mine, stopping me from talking. My eyes were full with tears but I can’t let them fall. I didn’t want him to see that I’m weak.
I slowly pushed him away but he didn’t fight back with me. He was looking at me but I couldn’t look at him.I knew If I did, I wouldn’t have the strength to leave.

 

"I’m done with you."
I took a deep breath before walking away.
Leaving him and our memories behind.

 

xxx

2 years after that

“Just try bun, I know you can!” My mom was cheering me up while I was biting my lips reading the letter in my hands.

To. Ms. SeoKaeun

Your school sent us a few of your artworks.

We would be more than glad to have you as a student in our university.

Please follow the test which will be held next week.

And fill in the registration paper below as a proof of the registration.

We will contact you soon to reserve a chair for you here.

We’ll be waiting! – The Art University

“I don’t know mom.. I’m still shocked. How come a student like me can get in to a big university like this.”

 I sighed, still can’t believe that this is true. My mom grabbed the letter, she smiled as she messed up my hair.

“Sweetie bun, they want you. They already saw your creations, I knew they would like it! This is your chance to shine. You can do it sweetie, I believe in you”.

She always calls me with bun, all people who are close to me calls me with bun. It’s a short word for bunnybecause I have two big teeth in the front or bun style, I always do my hair into a bun. In a sudden, I changed my mind. Well, it is a chance for me. I can make my parents proud, especially mom. Since dad is very busy travelling the world, he’s a ship captain, I only live with my mom in this town. He only comes home once every six month and stays only for a month.

“Okay, I’ll try mom” I smiled before giving her a tight hug.

 

xxx

D-1.

The favor to get in is, you must make one painting that has a meaning it.

So I decided to go to the park to get more ideas. I always go outside to get all my stressed thoughts away.I quickly asked my mom for permission, not to forget, she gave me a peck on the cheek and told me to be careful and not to come home late. I nodded and kissed herforehead. I went to the park by my bike. It’s not that far, it only took me ten to fifteen minutes from my house. It has a fountain there too, so it’s a perfect place to pour all your ideas there.

As soon I reached the park, I got off my bike, I handed it to John. He’s the park security since five years ago.

“It’s been a long time since I last saw you, Miss. You’ve become more beautiful than before. How come?” I chuckled at his remark. It was true; it had been months since the last time I came here. I was so busy about school, ugh. I grabbed my bag and all my stuffs that I needed and walked into the park.

The park was not that full, maybe  because people nowadays prefer going to a mall or swimming pools to spend their weekend,or at least that’s what I thought. I smiled looking at my favorite bench, it’s empty. Perfect! I quickly dashed to my art-inspiring lair and sat nicely before putting down all my stuffs.

The view in front of me will be my object today, the fountain! I grabbed my sketchbook and my lucky pencil. It’s lucky because every time I use it to join drawing competitions, I always win. It has a little name tag with ‘bun’s lucky pencil’ on it. I took a deep breath, stretched my lips for a wide smile and started working. Looking at the fountain, I drew fishes and trees around it. I was going to shade my drawing, but then there’s this guy who passed in front of me and then sitting across me. He brought drawing tools too. He’s tall, his skin is quite tanned but it’s really attractive. Well, I don’t really care. Why should I? I continued to focus on my drawing.

I took a glance at my watch, can’t believe it’s almost dinner time. Mom will be mad at me after this. I grabbedall my drawing tools and my bag in a rush. I ran out the park, thank God because John was still there. He handed me my bike and told me to be careful and tell mom that he missed her strawberry pie. I then pedaled my bike as quickly as possible.

 

xxx

It’s the D-day. Mom couldn’t accompany me because she had to go to Aunt May’s house. Aunt May is our neighbor. She needs my mom’s help to cook strawberry pies. So I asked Vanna to pick me up. Vanna is my best friend since junior school.Her dad is american and her mom is korean. Her korean name is Kwon Chan Young. She had tons of ex. All boys wants a piece of her, and I admit that she’s really beautiful. But just like everyone else, she had a flaw. She loves to spend her money for useless things. Even though my mom told me to stop being friends with her because she’s afraid I’ll be a bad girl too, but that doesn’t really matter to me. At least she’s always there for me. I can take care of myself well.

“Bun, get in!” Vanna yelled at me, shocking me first. I locked the house before I hopped inside her car

“Thank God you come on time. What will I do without you” I put on my seat belt, and tied my hair to a bun.

“I’m always here for you if you need me, hello” she chuckled, “so what was the place again?”

“The Art University.” She nodded then step the gas, she didn’t want me to be late.

As we arrived, she told me to check all my stuffs, but I had no time to do that in the car. I got out from her car and waved at her. I ran inside the university, and it was hella big! I looked at the arts inside at awe, I didn’t even realize my jaw was dropping.There’re so many people here. My enemies in war. Looking at my watch, I snapped and realized that Iforgot to give my registration to the administrator. Well guess what, I had to stand in line behind many other people.

“Okay students. The test starts in 10 minutes.”

The announcement shocked all the students, including me. Good thing; I’ve already done giving my registration. Before the test, I have to check all I need. I opened my large pencil case where all my drawing tools are in it.

Wait. No. Where is it? My lucky pencil. It’s gone. I checked all my stuffs but I can’t find my lucky pencil. How am I going to survive in there without my lucky pencil?! I know this might sound like I’m overreacting but it really means much to me. I wanted to cry like crazy, but I can’t. I can’t cry in front of many peoples like this because missing a pencil. That’s so funny. I looked down trying to hide my tears from people. I don’t know what to do now.

“Bun?”

A voice called my name out. I never heard this voice from anywhere.I suddenly wiped out my tears and slowly raised up my chin.

The guy from the park yesterday. Wait, why the hell is he calling me bun? I don’t even know him.

“Bun. That’s your name, right? You left your lucky pencil yesterday at the bench so I picked it up.”

He handed me my pencil. My lucky pencil. I can’t believe it. I suddenly hugged that guy and started crying and saying a lot of thank you’ s to him. Realizing what I did, I back off from him and tried to act normal again. He grinned for a moment. People who saw us must be getting the wrong idea.

“Thank you so much for bringing back my pencil to me. I owe you!” I bowed to him, showing my gratitude.

“Nah it’s okay. You must check everything before you leave somewhere you know” he chuckled.

“B-but, how did you know I’m here?”

“I didn’t even knew you were here. I’m joining the test to get in this university and then I saw your bun hair just like yesterday so yeah it’s a nice timing to give the pencil back to its owner” he smiled.

Damn he looks so hot when he smiled. The siren from the university rang, it’s time for the test to start. He’s got to go to his class, so do I. But before that.

“Hey park guy!” I yelled at him, he looked at me with an asking face.

“What’s your name?”

“Mingyu. Kim Mingyu, not Park.”