Can You Do This?

Not Enough Time

"Since today is Thursday, you can start working tonight," Dok2 looked at his watch, "and it's only 4:30, so you can spend the next 3 hours training.  You can leave at midnight or 1 tonight, depending on how busy we are."  Miyoung just stared at the contract that she just signed.  The ink was still fresh.  She touched her signature, smudging the little letters and leaving a black mark on her finger.

"Is it ok if I start school on Monday since it'll be weird to start tomorrow?" she asked quietly.

"Sure!" Dok2 said with excitment.  "Then you can look for high schools to go to tomorrow and let me know when you come in for work.  I'll buy the uniform and give it to you Sunday.  You get to work your first weekend.  It should be exciting!"  Miyoung forced a smile to her new boss and went on to the kitchen to bring out her teacher for the day.  Miyoung sighed heavily as she looked around the room.  Women were wearing provactive clothing and dancing many ual moves.  The look on all their faces read lust and the fluidness of their movements demonstrated how they gave up and accepted this as the reality of their lives.  As she looked closer and carefully, they all had one thing in common.

Their eyes were all dead.  It could be confused by drunk men as flirtatious stares, but there was no emotion in their eyes.  While they all accepted their fate, they all new that they all hit rock bottom and were desperate for means of survival.  They were breathing, but drowning in disappointment.

Miyoung couldn't believe that she would be joining them all tomorrow night.  She held her fist tightly as she tried to fight back the tears.  Each woman had one man of security by them.  Any ideas of escape were impossible to the huge men watching their every move.  They were all trapped and now she was too.  There was nobody to save her, nobody to take care of her, nobody to give her a hug, nobody to talk to.  She had nobody.

Before, she had everyone.  She had her mother, her father, her aunt, Yunhyeong, and his family.  The feeling of loneliness began when he left and worsened as time went by.  People left her and all that came was bad luck.  Yunhyeong was always there to save her.  Miyoung looked down at the keys clasped on her belt hole and held the yoyo.  She didn't know why all the feelings of remorse about Yunhyeong were suddenly consuming her, but she couldn't stop it.  It just made her think about the past.


One day in their second year of middle school, Miyoung was walking home, her feet getting heavier with each step.  She was listening to music, trying to block out the noises around her and block out all the thoughts she was having.  Her shoulders began to shake as the dreaded voice in her head started to talk.

"It's all your fault you know.  They wouldn't be like this if it wasn't for you."  She shook her head trying to make the voice leave, but it didn't work.  "You're just a waste of time."  Tears started to fall down her cheek, but she continued to walk home.  She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear the footsteps running to her behind her.  Miyoung jumped and yelped when the person stopped in front of her and touched her shoulders.

"Hey, sorry," Yunhyeong chuckled.  "I forgot how easily scared you get."  Miyoung only hung her head and didn't say anything, trying to hide the tears.

"Are you okay?" he asked.  He looked down at Miyoung who shook softly, refusing to meet his eyes.  "Hey, I didn't mean to scare you that much.  I'm really sorry."  He removed one of his hands from her shoulders and lifted her head slowly to look at him.  Rather than fear in her eyes, he saw something deeper and darker.
 
"Wait, there's something else isn't there," she just stared at him, her eyes shining with fresh tears.  His shoulders dropped.  The look on Miyoung's face crushed him and slowly turned into anger.  "Who did this to you?"  Her silence only made his blood boil faster and took her hand to lead her to a quiet park by their houses.  Yunhyeong knew that the park was the best setting to talk with Miyoung.  It always calmed her down.
 
Throughout their entire walk, Miyoung followed silently as tears continued to fall.  Yunhyeong looked at her every other minute to make sure she was still with him and didn't run away.  He led her to a bench under a big tree.  The shade covered them from the warm sun and allowed wind the blow softly on them.  Once they sat down, Yunhyeong just sat at the other side of the bench and waited for Miyoung to be ready to talk.
 
This wasn't the first time he caught Miyoung crying alone.  Every time he finds her by herself to fight her thoughts, it pains him since he can't always be there to prevent them.  It was usually over something that isn't big, but her thoughts always get the best of her and make it worse than it already is.  When she gets a bad grade, she always tells herself that she is stupid and not good enough to deserve a better grade.  When somebody is making fun of her, she believes that she probably did something to them since she is worthless.  No matter how many times Yunhyeong has told her that she is perfect and amazing, she always listens to the devil in her mind.   All he can do is be there for her and distract her if possible.
 
After 5 minutes, Miyoung finally sniffled and looked up at Yunhyeong who was looking at her with worry.
 
"I'm sorry," she started.  "I didn't mean to take up so much time."  Yunhyeong just shook his head and gestured her to go on.
 
"Well, I was on the way out of school when I got a text message from my dad.  When I opened it, I realized it wasn't for me," she took her phone out and gave it to Yunhyeong.  He scrolled and widened his eyes as he went further into the message.  "It feels like my fault.  If I wasn't around, maybe they would be happier."  She started to sniffle more and her voice started to shake more.
 
"It brings less stress to them and just makes everything easier," the tears started to fall and she kept trying to wipe them off.  Yunhyeong just looked at Miyoung sadly.  The message was from her dad to her mom.
 
Where are you?  I can't believe you.  This is beyond ridiculous.  I work all the time to bring food home and you dare accuse me of cheating?  I don't need this from anyone.  Especially you.  I'm only here for our daughter.  If it has to come to that point, I will leave.  I don't care anymore.
 
"If I wasn't here then everything works out," she was beginning to sob again.  "All I want for them is to be happy.  What if I just--" Her words were cut off by Yunhyeong who pulled her in for a hug.  She just sobbed into his shoulder.
 
"What if he leaves us?" Her voice was muffled by his shirt and he just caressed her head.
 
"Don't think like that.  None of this is your fault.  Things happen," he began, "you can't prevent them from happening.  Life just happens and you can't blame yourself for this.  They love you, but their love for each other is being strangled.  They will figure it out.  I am here for you with whatever happens."  He just continued to hug his friend.  Tears threatened to fall from his eyes, but he knew he had to be strong.
 
Miyoung's parents fought from time to time, but divorce or leaving has never been in the picture.  It was always a screaming match and then they go back to normal.  Miyoung would always go to him while the fought because she hated hearing everything.  It crushed him to know that Miyoung was thinking like this.  She was the last person who deserved to go through all those emotions.  He couldn't help that much this time.  All he could do was let her cry, try to change her thoughts, and be there for her.  He pulled her away slowly and wiped away her tears.
 
"What if they don't love each other anymore?" She said softly.  He brushed away the hair and put it behind her ear.
 
"If that happens, then I only know one thing for sure," she looked at him with puffy eyes.  "They will still love you no matter what."  He got up from the bench and grabbed her hand.  "Come on, let's go home."  She gave him a small smile and took his hand.  As they were walking, he noticed that she was slow and weak from all the crying she had just done.  She needs something in her system before she passes out.  Instead of going straight home, he turned the corner to go on the street where there were little stores and shops.  Miyoung looked at him with a confused look and he just looked back at her with a smile.  She followed him into the local ice cream shop and smiled.
 
"You really don't have to get me ice cream, Yunhyeong."
 
"Oh, don't worry.  I'm using your money, not mine," he said with a smirk.  Miyoung just chuckled and punched his shoulder.
 
"You ," she said as she went to grab her wallet from her book bag.  As she reached for the zipper, he put his hand on hers.
 
"I was just joking," he smiled and proceeded up the line to give their orders.  He got her a strawberry and chocolate cone while he got himself a mango and peach cone.  After he paid and got the sweets, they walked out to continue their journey home. They ate their food in silence until they reached the block where their houses were.
 
"Thanks for everything again Yoyo," she said to break the silence, "I don't know what I would do without you."
 
"Don't worry about it, I'm happy to be there whenever you need me."  He put his shoulder over her and brought her closer to give her a half hug.  Yunhyeong walked her to her door and was about to leave when the two of them heard screaming from inside the house.
 
"What text are you talking about!" The two of them recognized the voice of her mother.  "Maybe you sent that text to the woman you're having an affair with."
 
"Stop playing around!  You know there isn't another woman!  How would I have time when the only people I talk to are my boss, you, and Miyoung?"
 
"Well you either sent it to your boss or Miyoung because I sure as hell didn't get it."
 
"Wait."  There was a slight pause in their fight and Miyoung looked at Yunhyeong with wide eyes.  "Damn it!  I sent it to Miyoung!"
 
"Oh great!  Now our innocent daughter knows about our problems and maybe she'll realize how horrible of a father you are!  I am here everyday for her to help her with her homework, I do the housework, and I work in the mornings.  Despite everything I have time for all of us.  But you?  How do you explain last week when instead of being home at night with your family, you go to a fancy restaurant with another woman?"
 
"How did you know about that?"  Miyoung's father said the words so quietly that the two of them has to get closer to the door.
 
"That's right.  When I left the house for a little bit to buy some food for us all to eat, I see you in some place eating like a king.  Well, guess what, we had a nice night that night.  We don't need you."
 
"Well I don't need either of you!  The two of you just make my life miserable!  You are always breathing down my neck and Miyoung is an annoying kid who is just another mouth to feed.  She should be home by now and not off doing who knows what.  I am sick of this!"  After that, there was a crash and the two kids ran off to avoid being seen by Miyoung's parents.  Without looking back, the two of them ran into Yunhyeong's backyard.  She collapsed onto the ground and started sobbing the second Yunhyeong closed the gate.  Yunhyeong slowly went up to her and got down on the grass with her.  He just hugged her as she sobbed.
 
"Come on, my parents aren't home.  You need some rest," he said to her after 10 minutes.  Her crying died down a little, but the streams were still coming down her face.  Yunhyeong was worried she might pass out from the amount of tears she shed in the past hour.  Since she couldn't get up, he carried her on his back.  As he entered his house and went up the stairs to his room, he felt his shirt get wet from Miyoung's cries.  He set her down on his bed and she fell to the side while grabbing a pillow.  He went downstairs to grab some water for her and returned to find her sleeping.  With a sigh, he put the blanket over her and continued to do his homework at his desk.  When she woke up 2 hours later, she saw him fast asleep at his desk with his head against a book and a sticky note stuck on his face.  She texted her mom to tell her she was at Yunhyeong's house and then got up to put the blanket that was on her over Yunhyeong.
 
"Thank you for saving me today.  If I was alone, I don't know what I would have done, especially if I entered that house.  Thank you."

Miyoung looked back at that moment with a sigh.  Don't you dare cry, she thought, you are not a crybaby anymore.  You can't.  Someone tapped her shoulder, causing her to wake up from her thoughts and it was an older woman wearing an apron. 

"Hi, I'm Hayoung.  I'll be training you for the day."  She handed Miyoung an apron and a nametag.  "Do you have a hat or do you need a hairnet?"

"I have a hat."  It was a hat from Yunhyeong that he got from Seoul and sent to her when she was a freshman in high school.  In the package, he sent her a picture of him wearing it with the caption "Now I'll always be with you wherever you're headed."

For the next 3 hours, Miyoung learned the name of most of the staff.  For the most part, she would start by washing the dishes and going out every now and then to clean up stands and the bar.  Since she was underage, she couldn't work in the bar in case someone came in one night that could arrest her and shut down the club.  Everyone who had a job there needed it and risking it would be a huge loss.  Hayoung taught her and helped her study the layout of the entire club.  Since Miyoung was able to learn everything quickly, Hayoung decided to swing her by the cooking part of the kitchen.  There she met Seunghyun and he taught her how to put a few drinks together as well as get some snacks.  By the time the clock hit 7, she knew a lot about Hayoung and Seunghyun.

Hayoung used to be in her shoes a few years ago.  Recently she had been upgraded by Dok2 to go to the kitchen since she wasn't getting as many tips as she used to.  She considered it an upgrade because it meant she got to wear more clothes to work.  Seunghyun was working a couple jobs and he needed a night job.  Since he didn't have the body to dance around, he showed off his moves in the kitchen.

"This spatula is my pole and I can dance with it all the time," Hayoung and Miyoung laughed as he looked at the spatula lovingly.

"So why are you here?  Don't you have school?" Hayoung asked.  Seunghyun looked at her curiously as well.

"Well, I go to night school every other day and don't go to high school."

"What?" Seunghyun exclaimed.  "For what reason do you need money that much?  Don't you at least live with a parent?"  Miyoung just shook her head.

"I live alone.  I moved from Ilsan to here in order to get a job and go to school so I can send money back home."

"What happened to school?" Hayoung asked.

"Well, it was too much work.  You know how hard it is to study here with all the pressure.  I want to do well, but I don't have enough time for both so I quit traditional school and worked.  It was the only way to balance both,"  the two of them just looked at her sadly.

"How long have you been here?" she asked.

"I came once I finished sophomore year."

"And you've been alone all this time?" Hayoung asked slowly, as if fearing the answer.

"Yeah," Miyoung said with a small laugh.  Hayoung just put her hand on her chest and went to go give Miyoung a hug.

"Aww you poor baby," she suffocated Miyoung who hugged her back.  Something she desperately needed.  "I know it's only been 3 hours, but you're already my favorite here since you listen and follow so nicely.  You're so sweet too.  If you ever need anything, I am here little one."  Seunghyun decided to enter the hug.

"Me too," he said.  Miyoung looked at the clock behind them.  7:10

"Uh guys," she squeaked, "I really appreciate this, but I think we should get to work."  The two of them let go of her and they all proceeded to get ready for the night rush.  Miyoung tightened her apron and put her hat on securely.  "Let's do this."


"Hyung," Taehyung whined, "I don't want to look at another math problem."  He closed his book and laid down on the ground.  Jin just looked at him and rolled his eyes.  He looked at the rest of the boys and saw that all of them were on the verge of passing out as well.  He sighed and got up from his spot.

"Fine, let's all take a break," he said to them all, "We've been studying for the past 4 hours."  Yoongi looked up at the clock and widened his eyes as he read that it was past 8.  "I'm going to cook dinner.  Who wants to help?"  Hoseok and Taehyung got up to go help him, both stretching their bodies after being stuck in the same position for a few hours.

"Yoongi hyung and I will clean up a little while you guys do that," Jungkook said as he got up as well.

"Great, so Jimin and Namjoon?" Jin looked at the two of them who were laying on the ground drifting off to sleep.  "Hey," he said as he kicked them.  Namjoon sat up abruptly and looked around the room until he looked up to see Jin looking down at him.  "You two can go to the market to get some stuff.  We need a couple of things for tonight and this week."  Namjoon just nodded as he rubbed his eyes.  The rest of the guys left as he turned to look at Jimin who was snoring softly.  Shaking his head, he shook Jimin harshly.

"Hey, get up," he said, "we have to go buy some groceries."  Jimin just groaned in response and rolled over on his stomach.

"Why," he said with his voice muffled against the floor.

"So that we can all eat and not die," Namjoon stood up and kicked Jimin softly.  "Come on, if you're not up by the time I leave the bathroom, you have to clean the dishes."

"It's my turn tonight anyways," he said.

"Yeah, but I'll make sure my plate is extra dirty so that you have a hard time.

"Ok," Jimin said.  He pushed himself up so he sat on his knees and flashed a smile at Namjoon.  "Up and ready."  Namjoon just rolled his eyes and went to use the bathroom.  Jimin got up and stretched a little before going to grab his jacket and put his shoes on.  When he put his hand in his pocket, he felt a little metal chain and sighed as he took it out.  Miyoung's necklace just stared back at him.  Where are you, he thought, are you okay?  He put the necklace back in his pocket and thought silently to himself.  He really wanted to find Miyoung and make sure she was safe.  He felt terrible about the way she was treated and knew that if she had to rely on that job, her situation was serious.  The fact that she didn't go to school normally just showed how hard her life must be.  All he could do is relate as he remembered the days when he was working for AOMG.  He wasn't living like the average kid in order to make money for his family.  Maybe that's why she's doing it, he thought, it's for her family.  Namjoon snapped him out of his thoughts when he got to the door.

"Are you ready?"  Jimin just nodded and the two of them walked to the busy street where their local market was.  It was always noisy in that area with a bunch of flashing lights indicating people to go inside a hair salon, restaurant, or a few clubs.  Their walk was silent as they walked in sync in the dark.  A flashing sign with neon colors caught Jimin's eye.

"Hey hyung," Jimin said with a smirk, "we should all go there one day to relax."  Namjoon looked to where Jimin was pointing and shook his head.

"You're disgusting," he said.  "Come on, the market is right here."  Jimin looked at the sign again with a smile and followed Namjoon inside.

"Come on, we're men hyung."

"Men with a test tomorrow and can't afford a bad grade," he retorted as he got a shopping cart.  Jimin just grinned and took the cart while following Namjoon.  They went up and down the aisles as they got vegetables, spices, ramen packs, drinks, and snacks.  Their hands were full of stuff by the time they finished.  Namjoon took out his phone and Jimin looked to see that Jin was calling.

"Hello?" Namjoon answered, "Yes Jin hyung...I know it's almost 9...we got everything--...yes I got all the coconut water I could carry...we're coming home now..."  Jimin just laughed as Namjoon patiently answered to all of Jin's questions.  He bounced on heels and looked around the street.  Everyone was busy as they were going from place to place.  Nobody seemed to just stop and take a breath.  All the lights fascinated him with all the colors.  He looked up at the sky, disappointed that he couldn't see any stars since it was so bright in the area.  He looked back to his surroundings and found a girl doing the same thing.  She was looking up at the sky and seemed to drop her shoulders.  She looked back down and stretched a bit before picking up the garbage bag beside her.  Jimin watched her slowly as she struggled to pick it up and put it in the trash can.  He was about to go offer her some help when Namjoon tapped his shoulder.

"Come on, let's go before Jin hyung goes crazy," Namjoon said then proceeding to walk towards their house.  Jimin looked back at the girl who now had another guy with a garbage bag coming to help her.  Content that she had help, he went to catch up to Namjoon.


"I told you I was going to take out the trash Miyoung," Seunghyun said to her.  She just smiled as she wiped the sweat off her forehead.

"I know, but it's so hot in there so I came out for a breather," Seunghyun just his teeth and gestured her to go inside.

"Come on before we get in trouble,"  Miyoung nodded and went back inside to continue working.  She looked around the kitchen and saw everyone so busy.  WIth a deep breath, she went back to continue washing some dishes.  So far, so good, she thought,  I think I can do this.


Hey guys ^^ Long time no...speak(?) =P I haven't updated in forever so I appreciate those who dealt with my super long wait.  I had the other chapter written for a while but it just didn't sound right to me so I had writer's block for a while.  I finally figured out everything with this story so I hope you all continue to enjoy it ^^ I'll do my very best to be more consistent with this story because now I am really excited about...I've been planning this story for a while so now I can hopefully convey everything to you all ^^ Anyways hope you enjoyed this chapter and please comment!! I really like reading comments c:  Okie dokie see you in the next update!