2/2

Rubberband

The scene around them was obnoxiously loud. Children were crying, clinging to the stuff they were holding when they were helped out, and asking anyone around them to call their parents. There were sirens coming closer, but by the sounds of it they were still relatively far away and would be no help any time soon. However, even with the sound around them nothing could be heard but the throbbing in their ears as panic seized every single one of the 4 of them. The water below them was calming from the waves created by the bus and it felt to final for them to swallow.  Their world of silence was shattered as Kibum turned to Taemin, hands coming up to push him back as he growled, “You did this. Why did you let go!? You killed Jinki!” Tears were in the man’s eyes, and Taemin’s eyes blew wide. Shock trembled through him, hands beginning to shake and his bottom lip quivering. He had only done what he thought Jinki wanted. That’s all he did.

 

Minho slipped between the two, arm coming back to hook around Taemin’s small body. “He was doing what Jinki asked of him. He didn’t kill him Kibum. He’s still alive. I know he is. We just have to go find him.”

 

Kibum’s eyes were hard as he stared at the empath. His voice broke, all his anger and intensity flowing out of him as he sobbed, “Jinki.. He-”

 

Before Minho or anyone could say another thing Taemin was ripping away from the grip on him, and sprinting toward the edge. He jumped off the edge and when the other three rushed to the edge where the barrier was still intact they saw the youngest dive into the cool water. Kibum clinged to Minho’s arm as he mumbled, “nO. No he’ll hurt himself and it’ll be all my fault oh my god why’d I blame him.”

 

Jonghyun snapped out of his shock and even with the tears falling off his chin he gave the other two a smile, “We’ll find him.” He was pushing off the pavement a moment later. Minho wrapped his arm around Kibum’s waist and tugged him toward the other side of the bridge. They wiggled past the line of cars waiting before where the bus used to be. The drivers seemed too shocked to drive, and some had gotten out of their cars to head over to help the kids taken from the bus.

 

Under the water Taemin took a moment to gather himself and look at his surroundings. His body adapted to the situation, and he smiled as he lifted his fingers up to run across the gills that had formed on his neck and at the skin between his fingers. He saw the glow of the yellow bus to his left, and headed there first. Dread was deep inside him as he pushed curled his fingers around the corner of the vehicle to tug himself quickly through the water. The bus was pushed over with some effort and Taemin wasn’t sure if he was relieved or worried that Jinki wasn’t under the bus. A glint to his right caught his attention and he pushed off the river’s floor to propel him towards the object. When he went to grab it some dirt from the bottom of the river was scooped up. He shook his hand to get rid of the mess before recognizing the object. They were the reading glasses Jinki always kept in his shirt pocket.  

 

He pushed off the ground and swam toward the surface. When he saw Jonghyun flying closer he waved him down, “AYE.” When he came closer Taemin lifted the glasses. “He’s not under the bus or anywhere near it. I found those a little ways to the right of where the bus landed.”

 

“This the only sign of him?” Jonghyun asked with soft eyes as his fingers curled tight around the wet glasses.

 

With a nod Taemin huffed. “I’m going back under.” He was gone before Jonghyun could tell him okay.

 

Jonghyun flew over to where Minho was helping Kibum down the hill to the river’s edge. He knew Minho was trying his hardest to block out all the other emotions bombarding him and therefore couldn’t distinguish his own from the swirling sea of them. Kibum was gently handed the glasses and with a soft smile Jonghyun asked him, “Can you feel his mind Bum?”

 

The man shook his head frantically, lip quivering and nose runny. “So many people…. With so many strong thoughts I… it’s hard Jonghyun.. So hard to focus.”

 

Minho was gently running his hand up Kibum’s side, holding him close, and pressing kisses into his hair. That’s when Jonghyun got the idea. “What’s one thing Jinki never stopped talking about?”

 

After a moment and a couple sniffles Kibum wiped the tip of his nose and looked up, “Food?”

 

Despite the circumstances a chuckle rumbled through Jonghyun’s lips. “Well yes, but us. He’s always thinking of us. Focus on that… it might help.” The smaller man pushed up on his toes to press a kiss to Kibum’s forehead before lifting to find Taemin. However before he got too far he heard Kibum in his mind.

 

Look under the bridge… it’s faint but the thought of Taemin stealing covers is flashing.

 

Jonghyun figured Kibum had sent the thought to Taemin too when he noticed the large movement deep in the river. Sure enough Taemin popped his mop of dark hair just under the bridge. He dove under once again and his eyes quickly adjusted to the dim light of the water.  There was a lot of debris and trash floating throughout the water, but then he saw a shoe that looked a lot like Jinki’s. He scooped it up for closer inspection and his heart soared a little knowing it was his. A few more of his arms propelling him through the water and he saw him. The shoe was thrown away from him as he rushed to scoop Jinki’s limp body from the river’s floor.  As soon as his head breached the water’s surface Jonghyun was in the water to help him.

 

When they finally carried Jinki onto the grass where Kibum and Minho were, the two were already on them. Kibum pushed Jinki’s hair out of his face and wiped some of the water from his skin. Taemin was kneeling at his feet, hands digging into the dirt and teeth biting his lower lip as Minho worked. He didn’t have that much energy from trying to keep the emotions on the bridge calm as they saved the children and bus driver, and from healing what he could until the paramedics came. Jinki was his side by Minho, and the other 3 watched as blue light swirled around his fingers and down to his palm. Then he hit his palm straight into the middle of Jinki’s back with enough force his body moved toward Kibum sitting on the other side of him.

 

Nothing happened for what seemed like forever, but then the blue color of Minho’s power swirled around Jinki’s frame. It flashed bright once before seeping into his wet skin. A moment later there was movement and Jinki was coughing up the water present in his lungs. The cut on his head and shoulder that could be seen through his ripped shirt didn’t heal, but his eyes were fluttering and a small groan was rumbling from his chest.  He moved back onto his back with another moan of pain, but then his eyes were opening. It was only enough to look up, but he was alive. Taemin smiled relieved as his eyes glossed over. Jonghyun allowed his tears to flow freely, but this time in gratitude and not of fear. Minho sagged from exhaustion, but there was this blissful smile on his face as Jinki looked at him. Kibum in a sob and rushed to push his fingers in Jinki’s hair.

 

At the touch Jinki shifted his head slowly to look at Kibum, and when he spoke his voice was weak. There was a soft smile on his face though. “I think I’m done with water for a while.”

 

Kibum was bending down and wrapping his arms around his head a moment later. Pressing kisses to any skin he could reach and bambling, “You’re so stupid god why did you do that don’t you ever do that again or I’ll kill you dammit.” He pulled away so the other’s could talk to him, but as Jonghyun moved to take his spot Kibum looked at Taemin. The youngest hadn’t made a move to get closer or to say anything. Kibum felt he was a little, if not all, responsible for it.  Taemin looked up with wide eyes as Kibum approached him. The older man held his arms open with a soft, “I never should have blamed you. It wasn’t your fault. I love you. I’m sorry.”

 

Taemin was wrapping himself in the embrace a moment later. When he pulled away he turned to see Jinki being slowly sat up, using Jonghyun and Minho as a foundation. Taemin kneeled in front of him and tried to give him a big smile. Jinki just reached to grab his hand, but it was obvious he was still weak so Taemin met him half way and gave his hand a squeeze. Minho spoke up next. “We have to get him into a bed soon.”

 

Jinki hummed, “Mmm stay here for a bit. Legs are a little jelly.” They stayed there for a few more minutes until Jinki was helped to his feet and Taemin lifted him onto his back. Jinki nuzzled his cheek into his neck and mumbled, “You smell.”

 

Taemin beamed as he carried their lover back up to the bridge and over to where their suv was parked still. He was laid in the very back, using the blanket and pillow they always had in the back. Kibum collected himself enough to wipe the witness’ memories of their involvement in the accident, before sliding into the driver’s seat and turning the car around. There weren’t any cars coming until he could safely make it back over to the right side of the street. The beach was forgotten as they drove home to take care of their boyfriends. Minho was looking a little too run down for comfort too.