Two

Fatally Forbidden

I didn't pay attention.

All the while I was staring at the stack of notes he'd given out without knowing what was going on. I didn't write anything down, and I felt so lost.

And this, is the reason why I always skip math!

“And that's it for class today.”

Everyone rises up from their seats and greets tiredly, “Goodbye Mr Kim. Thank you Mr Kim.” Did I mention that the class loves to drag the words?

I didn't bother greeting him as I grab my bag and walk out of the class, leaving my classmates to gawk and smirk at Mr Kim, as if taunting him to say “So what are you gonna do about it?” Bess hurriedly apologises before scurrying after me. I heard Mr Kim sigh before closing the doors shut after Bess has hurried out.

“Gia, what are you doing?” Bess nudges me as she glances towards the doors worriedly. “Aren't you afraid of him reporting you to the principal?”

“He wouldn't dare,” I mutter. “I can't stand the ruffling of papers! The whole room is filled with the stench of math I just- ”

I gestured wildly with my hands before groaning in frustration. “I'm going home.”

“Aren't you going to practice dancing today?” Bess catches up with me as I proceed to my locker. “You don't usually go home.”

“That's because I'm so tired of listening to this Jongin guy. I need a break. I think I broke the world record of sitting in a math lecture without snoring my head off!” I snapped at the last sentence.

I know I'm just finding excuses for myself.

“Sorry. Didn't mean to lose my temper,” I cast an apologetic glance at her.

“Doesn't matter,” Bess grins at me as I smile back. “I've already gotten use to your extreme mood swings. I find it cute, actually.”

“Why you- ”

“Looks like the is on her period today,” a nasty voice interrupts me.

Ugh.

If I'm considered as the in school, then this little freak over here is probably someone who's ten times worse than me. I guess she needs a little fix too.

“Who am I kidding? You're always on your period. Do you need a doctor?” Cassie gasps as I turn around to glare at her.

Sure, she's pretty. Cassie is tall, probably a good five centimetres taller than me. She has honey brown hair which curls slightly at her shoulders, hence she gives off an innocent and sweet vibe.

Oh, cut the crap. We all know she's a tyrannosaurus at heart.

“Why are you always barking?” I fold my arms as I stare at her. “How many times do you need me to say it? I don't give a damn about what you do. So stop being annoying and scram.”

Who does she think she is? Just because she's in a better class than me, that doesn't mean that she has the right to get me into trouble every, single time. Not to mention she's in the second class from the back. Well, she's not that far off either, is she?

“How could you speak to her like that, you freak?” One of Cassie's friends screamed and Bess visibly flinched.

“I'm wondering how your throat hasn't started bleeding yet.” Bess grunts in displeasure. “Stop being a child and grow up, will you? A bunch of dips and uncivilised gorillas wasting our time.”

I smile as I take in Bess' words. Well, she isn't my best friend for nothing.

“Shut up- ” Cassie takes a step forward but I stood directly in front of her.

“Don't even dream of hurting Bess,” I warned as Cassie suddenly raises a palm.

“Want a fight? A commotion?” Chen appears beside me as he grabs Cassie's wrist in time. God knows what would've happened if she'd managed to send a slap across my face.

I would have taken her down in no time.

“Don't hurt Gia with your dirty hand,” Chen spits out in disgust as Sehun and Tao quickly approached us. There's a small crowd forming around us by now, and I groaned at all the attention.

I just want to get home in one piece and have an affair with my bed. Is that so hard?

“Well well, who do we have here? Gia and her gang. Oh please, I dare you to lay a finger on me,” Cassie laughs as she surveys each and every one of us.

Tao gives her the finger as Sehun angrily steps up, but I block him and replied, “Don't. She's crazy. It's not worth it.”

“Go on. Be the coward that you are!” Cassie shouts in glee. “Gia, you're a coward. And you lost your boyfriend to me because of it too. I wonder when you'll learn your lesson!”

I shut my eyes as the pain starts to come back in waves.

Boyfriend.

“What's going on, babe?”

I opened my eyes and I instantly regretted it.

“Nothing's wrong, but your ex-girlfriend is giving me trouble,” Cassie smiles sweetly (that smile is filled with venom, I swear) as she wraps her arms around her boyfriend.

He looks up and gives me the most emotionless face I have ever seen.

“Gianna.”

No one has ever called me in full, except for my mom and him. No one, not even Cassie.

“Don't call her that,” Chen grabs him by the collar and the crowd gasps.

“Chen, stop,” I sigh in exasperation as I slam the door of my locker shut after depositing my books.

“But- ”

“Chen,” I glare at him as he nods in reluctance.

I now turn to face the most annoying couple I've ever seen.

“What do you want, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun stares directly at me and replies speedily, “Leave my girlfriend alone.”

“I was leaving her alone. Until she came over and disturbed me like a flying cockroach,” I stated flatly.

“Hey- ”

“Now if you don't mind, please get out of my way,” I flip my hair in his face before sashaying out of the crowd, with the students automatically making way for me.

It's like Moses parting the Red Sea, really.

“Are you okay?” Tao whispers worriedly as I flash a grin at him.

“I've never been better. Besides, I've gotten over him long ago.” I don't know. “Don't worry about me.”

“Where are you going?” Bess calls out from behind. “The gate's over there!”

“I'm not going home anymore,” I shout. “I'm going to the dance studio.”

Bess makes an ‘OK’ sign as she scurries off to her next lesson.

“Can I join you?” Sehun asks, but I shake my head in response.

“Sorry, but maybe next time. I'm in such a bad mood right now. I don't want take it out on you guys. You know I can't control myself that well,” I mutter.

They nod in understanding and drop me off at the dance studio before leaving.

I connect my phone to the player and went to my favourite playlist. I placed my phone on shuffle mode before making my way to the centre of the room. I started to dance.

I didn't know how much time had passed as I danced to my heart's content. I didn't count how many splits and spins I did, how many somersaults I had achieved, and how many breaths I took just for a cartwheel. All I had in mind was how much I'd missed him.

Was it really my fault? Was it true? Am I a coward?

I let out a pathetic laugh as I collapse on the ground, my hair sticking to my skin that is glistening with sweat. I guess someone who puts up such a tough front is still weak on the inside.

Everything about me is like glass; I'm so fragile I break and crack every time someone smashes me to the ground.

And it's even worse when that person doesn't even bother to pick me up.

“You look mad.”

I stop breathing as I remain frozen on the spot.

“You can't dance well like that.”

Slowly, I look up. There's that tingle again! I scoff as I turn away from him.

“Do you need something, Mr Kim?”

I feel rhythmic footsteps approaching me, getting louder and louder every second. He walks down the short flight of stairs and stops beside me. I look up again to find him holding out his hand.

“Get up,” he orders.

I let out a sigh as I grab his hand. My heart starts to beat irrationally. I feel my face go red as I frown. What's going on with me?

He pulls me up as if I'm as light as a feather, and this time it's his turn to frown.

“What did you eat for breakfast today?”

“Nothing.” I stare at him weirdly. “Why?”

“Why? Gianna, you know that's not healthy,” Mr Kim doesn't let go of my hand. Instead he grips it even tighter. He must have gotten so agitated he forgot that his hand is still around mine.

“Mr Kim…” I point at our hands and he lets go of it immediately.

I felt like I've just lost something.

“I'm sorry,” Mr Kim steps back as he regains his composure. “Gianna, you need to eat.”

“Are you my dad?” I roll my eyes as I turn away from him to stop the music. “And why did you come in? Mr Kim, I'm sure you know about how much a girl's privacy means to her.”

“As a teacher, I have the right to care for my student's wellbeing. I don't want you fainting in class. I passed by the dance studio and saw you dancing. I just had to come in because you weren't doing it right,” Mr Kim folds his arms.

He's been folding his arms for eleven times today since the start of his lesson.

“Honestly, Mr Kim,” I turn around to face him as I wipe the sweat off my neck with the handkerchief I prepared. “How much do you know about dancing? And would you stop calling me Gianna?”

“I don't see the problem with your name,” Mr Kim states cautiously. “And for your information, I dance. I don't care if you're angry or mad, but you should never let your emotions get the better of you when you dance. It's dangerous.”

“Whatever,” I mumble as I stuff my phone into my bag. I walked past him without bowing, and just before I reach the doors of the dance studio, I heard him speak.

“Are you in the school's dance club?”

I stop in my tracks as my eyes widened.

“N-no.”

It has always been my dream to be able to be a part of the dance club. It's an after school activity held on Tuesdays and Fridays, but I wasn't accepted because, well, firstly I'm known to be a slacker. That means that I'm irresponsible and I never complete my work on time. I guess the teacher who was in-charge of the dance club was afraid that my passion wouldn't last me for an entire year. I guess he failed to realise that dancing was one of my best skills and my favourite hobby. I, Gianna, might not be able to pass with flying colours in terms of examinations, but my love for dance should not be underestimated.

Secondly, I don't think I would fit into any of the clubs and societies, because I'm a delinquent. Some are afraid of me, while others look up to me. However, all of them share a thing in common. They judge me. They talk about me behind my back. Ever since Baekhyun broke up with me for Cassie, it seems as if I was the bad guy. Didn't they realise that I was the victim instead?

“How about I get you a spot in the school's dance club?” Mr Kim suggests as he strides towards me. “But promise me one thing. Don't you dare miss a dance lesson unless there is a proper reason.”

I can feel my eyes turning wet.

“Why?” I whisper. “Why? And how are you going to ensure that I get a spot in the dance club? Trust me, I tried. And I couldn't get in- ”

“Your passion,” the corners of his lips tugging up a little as I see the twinkle in his eyes. “I can see it when someone enjoys dancing. I enjoy dancing too.”

“You dance?”

“I guess you'll be seeing me more nowadays. Report to me for dance lessons tomorrow,” he pats me on the back before exiting the dance studio.

Report to him…?

I let out a huge sigh as everything starts to click.

Reality never fails to hit me hard in the face every, single time.