Chapter ONE

Fire & Gold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

J I H O O N

 

About ninety years ago, after the World War 2, the Big Three agreed they wouldn't sire any more heroes because their children were just too powerful. They felt that they were affecting the course of human events too much and causing too much carnage. However, for some reason, this oath had been broken once again by Zeus, or in my case, Jupiter.

It was only till after 5 years of arguing and debates that the Twelve Olympians made their final decision to amend the Oath. Instead of "bearing no more children for eternity", the oath was changed to allow the Big Three to sire only a total of three demigod children every fifty years since my birth.

It would have been an honour to have my name involved in the Oath made by the Big Three but since many gods were unhappy and not afraid to show it, I wasn't very ecstatic about the whole thing. Trust me, you'd feel the same way.

Anyways, a few months after the amendment of the Oath was declared, Neptune announced that he, too, had broken the same oath as Jupiter. Needless to say, the other Olympians were furious and from what I've gathered, my father was ready to zap Neptune into Tartarus when Neptune confessed that his child was born only a year after I was.

Although, I wouldn't have blamed Jupiter if he actually did zap his brother into tartarus. Afterall, Jupiter went through five years of arguing with eleven other Olympians while thinking he was the only one that broke the oath again. But since the gods were unable to do anything about it by that time, Neptune was left undisturbed and life went on as how it was supposed to be.

So here I am now, safe and sound, in camp Jupiter for almost my tenth year. At first, it was rather disturbing to constantly have everyone's attention on me. Everywhere I went, people would either be awed by the fact that I was a child of Jupiter or I would get distasteful scorns from the older legionnaires. Luckily for me, all this took a turn when Mingyu and Vernon arrived at camp.

Both Vernon and Mingyu were a year younger than me and arrived four years after I did. I remember 10-year-old Vernon arriving in Camp Jupiter with a tattered shirt, jeans that were so ripped that it was obvious it was not the original design of the pants and a half-conscious Mingyu on his back. But what attracted everyone's attention was not his appearance, instead, it was the show he put on for everyone.

It was unexpected when we witnessed Vernon controlling the Little Tiber River and defeating three gigantic Cyclopes alone. Remember the child of Neptune that I mentioned about earlier? Vernon just happened to be that child. I know, what a shocker.

So the following days after that, Vernon was swarmed with questions and compliments from Legionnaires of every cohort. This left poor Mingyu no choice but to sit alone as his friend drowned in popularity. Feeling pity for the younger boy, I often made small talk with Mingyu and our friendship slowly progressed. About a week after that, I noticed how exhausted the Vernon seemed from trying to entertain everybody and before I could process my own actions, I was already at his table and screaming at everyone to give him space.

Since then, Vernon, Mingyu and I were stuck together. Although it was quite a pity that Mingyu was not together with us in the First Cohort, we were proud when he became the Centurion of the Second Cohort and eventually, the praetor.

"Jihoon hyung!" A rhythm of footsteps followed after, getting louder with each step until it finally came to a halt behind me and a hand came slamming down on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Ouch! What the he-"

"Hyung, don't cuss." Vernon cut me off. Turning to look at Vernon's cheeky expression, it seemed to me as if he was asking for me to smack him in the head and I almost did. Almost.

"What do you want, Vernon?" I questioned while slowly massaging my left shoulder. I swear if he wasn't my best friend, I would have electrocuted him by now.

"The praetors called for a meeting at the Senate House in ten minutes," Vernon answered.

"What's the occasion?" 

It was unusual to get sudden calls for meetings because it usually meant that we had to discuss an urgent issue. On the contrary, things have been all fine and dandy in camp for the past few years. Ever since Gaea had been defeated, Tartarus was sealed so tight that the most damage we could get was the three cyclopes that trailed after Vernon six years ago. We were hardly sent out for quests, hence, the most adventurous moments for us was the war games in the Field of Mars. 

"Not sure," Vernon rubbed the back of the back of his neck, giving a nervous laughter which heightened my suspicions. "Mingyu seemed very excited for it and Sabrina was even smiling so I doubt that we'd be discussing anything serious."

I relaxed a little. It was normal to hear that Mingyu would be excited about meetings, the praetor was still such a child at heart and he gets excited over almost anything. On the other hand, our lady praetor was different. Sabrina Carpenter was a very serious lady, she was often alone with her horse and she hardly smiled. But we all knew that deep down she had a warm heart, she was just someone that hardly expressed her emotions. 

Sabrina had been in Camp a few months before I was and had been trained by Lupa and her wolves since she was a toddler, thus explaining her tough exterior and strong demeanor. Ofcourse, anyone else would have thought Sabrina was a sweet and shy girl at first glance.

Sabrina's a beautiful young lady blessed with a cute set of dimples, nice rosy cheeks and thick brown eyebrows. Her purple hair fell right below her bust and in my opinion, her hair colour really brought out her blue eyes. I would definitely go for Sabrina if I was straight but everyone knew that hitting on Sabrina was equivalent to going on a suicide mission. Besides Mingyu, I doubt anyone had a proper conversation with Sabrina without feeling intimidated.

"Well, if Sabrina's smiling, it definitely means it's a good thing..." I replied while shoving all my belongings into my drawstring. "But she wouldn't be very happy if you're late, will she?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter