Crossing Borders

Despondence (Monsta X- The Lost Clan pt.1)

 

Hyungwon’s alarm clock won’t stop ringing and being the sleepyhead that he is, he lazily got out of bed and made his way to his cabinet about a meter or two away from his bed. If he’s not in his deep slumber usually he’ll read books and internet articles, and that’s where he got this little trick (that would still not work on him yet he does it anyway everyday) a.k.a putting your alarm clock far away from you so you’ll have to get up to turn it off.

 

 “I don’t have to work nor go to community college today. Aish~”, he said in a groggy voice while ruffling his hair angrily. He was about to return to bed when he remembered that he promised his dad that he would help him with errands today. Being the obedient son that he is he hurriedly went outside, grabbed his breakfast and came back again to his bedroom and made his way to the bathroom. After doing his usual morning routine, Hyungwon finally headed outside but he had to walk a long way because his apartment is located on the end of the street. “Okay, this is my workout.”, he mentally said to himself as people were already throwing their good morning greetings as they started to recognize him. Hyungwon gave them a smile and sometimes a greeting in return, he would occasionally bow to the elders, that’s pretty much just his father’s acquaintances. The tall young man was kinda famous in their area, not just because of his family connections but also because of the fact that he’s insanely gorgeous. With his not-so chinky eyes, plump lips and model-like tall figure every girl in his school would drool over him but its ironic how no one would dare to approach him casually, he’ll just talk to people and interact with them if there’s a group project that needs to be done. His schedule on community college falls on the weekends so he thought it was only reasonable to be aloof.

On weekdays, he would work full-time on a restaurant as a server in the day and a bartender at night. Not that he’s penniless or having a hard time living, its just that he doesn’t want to bother his family and ask them for money, clearly he’s trying to be independent. Contrary to the aloof side he is on school, he has a lot of friends in work but usually you’ll see him hanging out and bickering with Wonho.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hyungwon was able to hitch a ride with the farmer’s son who apparently has to go to the same nearby town where Hyungwon’s destination is. He was sitting on the back of the truck as they passed by a “Welcome/Come back again to Deux!” sign. Eventually, he fell asleep not minding his awkward position.

 

A few minutes later, he woke up to indistinct voices of people talking to each other. Hyungwon also did noticed that truck came to a full stop so he quickly got off the truck. From a distance, he saw that the farmer’s son was talking to a bunch of armed men. “We weren’t trying to smuggle firearms and drugs. I need to buy some ingredients and my companion just need to do his errands.” Hyungwon thought why was he explaining himself like that? It made them look like they’re really some kind of criminals and he found it was absurd. Hyungwon made his way to the group of people chattering. He cleared his throat for them to notice him and said, “Excuse me? What is the fuss all about?” Someone muttered something inaudible to their leader standing at the front. “Ah~ Nothing, we were just guarding the borders here and your friend just won’t let us inspect the back of his truck.”, the person that Hyungwon’s assumes to be their leader replied to him. “I was the one there in the back and I was sleeping, he might not just want to disturb and wake me up. I’m deeply sorry for the misunderstanding but we are not hiding anything.”, Hyungwon politely explained. The group of people then let them cross, as they made their way to a town much bigger than Deux. The farmer’s son just needed to buy some fresh ingredients at the market and deliver some wool while Hyungwon needs to meet up with a lawyer to give to him some papers that belongs to his father. Since the market and the lawyer’s office is situated pretty much distant from each other, Hyungwon decided to just take a bus ride home since the office was just walking distance from the bus stop/terminal.

 

The farmer’s son was kind enough to drop Hyungwon by the office and after that they said bye to each other and parted their ways. He then proceeded to enter, greeting first the receptionist in a polite manner as he introduce himself, “Chae Hyungwon, I assume my father already notified you that I’m the one who’s coming.” “Ah.. Yeah.”, the receptionist blushed as Hyungwon stared intently at her, “Atty. Kim is already waiting for you upstairs.” Hyungwon nodded and lightly chuckled at the girl’s expression. He went upstairs as he was told to do so. The lawyer was sitting on his desk in front of his laptop when Hyungwon arrived, he greeted him with a bow and quickly handed the envelope to him. “Aigoo~ You’re such a good son. Your father must be proud having you as his son.”, Hyungwon just smiled and he thought he wish he really is.

 

He walked down until he saw a mart near the bus terminal, it was spacious but not really big enough compared to school cafeterias. He headed to the drinks and got himself a Vita 500 Orange Drink while someone caught his attention. “Honestly, I’m on the way now there but the bus just made a stop.” Hyungwon turned around and followed where the familiar voice came from. He looked at a hyung who was gobbling up his food with a dissatisfied face. The hyung was moving so fast that Hyungwon had to run to catch him.

Hyunwoo hyung! Here!”, Hyungwon shouted while running towards him. When he finally was near to him, he smiled but that faded when the hyung bowed to him in a 90-degree angle. “Perhaps.. Does he not remember me anymore?”, That was what he thought. He felt a spang of bitterness and sadness in that moment so he flicked his forehead, but the hyung started laughing and tilted his head, as his way of observing him, “Whoa, Hyungwon why did you grew up so fast?” It was unusual but Hyungwon feel at ease when he mentioned his name, a sign that he did not forget him.

 

Hyungwon found out that after almost 3 years his Hyunwoo hyung is coming back to their hometown again. He knows that it’d be awkward if he continues on calling him Hyunwoo because it kinda sounds smiliar to his name but he really misses that. They were good friends that haven’t seen each other in a long time. While they were busy chattering, Hyungwon noticed that they passed by the spot where people from earlier almost didn’t let them cross and was kind of surprised when he saw a truck burning from a distance. Shownu was asking him some questions , he even tapped on his shoulder when he noticed that Hyungwon wasn’t paying attention to him. Several thoughts were coming into his mind, “Ah, that ice cream shop near the park~”, Hyungwon absentmindedly replied but mentally he was thinking “People that patrol over the borders, huh.