(2/2)

the black annuler
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Youngwon was a gifted girl. So was Jongdae. And Yura. And even Jongin—Cass—was, as much as it hurt to believe.

                Talking to Youngwon alone, Baekhyun realized why Bora was so hesitant on not letting him speak with her.

                “Well, well, well! Isn’t this your lucky day?” Bora had asked.

                “Is it? I wish it could be the same for Mina."

                An eyebrow was arched at this, questioning. “Oh?”

                “The girl we found this morning.”

                “Ah. I see. Terrible. Awful. I suggest you not mention it to Youngwon.”

                “She agreed?”

                “Took quite some coaxing on my part. Unfortunately, time is ticking and I can only give you 15 minutes.”

                “Half an hour.”

                “What exactly are you planning on asking her…?”

                “You said she had a gift. Let’s just say I’m running out of time and options.”

                Bora nodded. “Alright.” She had then brought him into the room, where Youngwon was waiting.

                Now, listening to Youngwon talk, Baekhyun was quite certain that she and her mates were the pieces needed in this case.

                Jongdae was good at what he did, connecting the dots that others tended to miss. Quite astute, if Baekhyun did say so himself.

                Youngwon here, though, was a different story all together.

                “Sorry for being so edgy.” Youngwon waved a hand. “I’m not like the others here. Not that I’m proud of that. I wouldn’t mind having their gifts. Schizophrenic or not. But the fact of the matter is, I’m not schizophrenic. I do, however, struggle with bipolar disorder, which I’m assuming you know the difference. Bipolar disorder is just that mood disorder with quick onsets of maniac highs to usually longer lasting depressive lows. Schizophrenia, however, is a thought disorder. Present with delusions—either paranoid or grandiose, hallucinations—visuals auditory, and so on, or other thought disorders that mess with the processing of ideas in the mind. All make sense?”

                “Yes.” Baekhyun had a newly found respect for Youngwon already.

                “Schizoaffective disorder is merely a combination of something like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Just to clarify. I have a mood disorder. I’m not crazy.”She said down on the armchair. “What can I do for you?”

                “We found another this morning. Name was Mina. Stabbed in the heart with a knife. Just a couple years younger than you.”

                Youngwon stared. “That’s pretty sick.”

                “I agree.”

                “So why are you talking to me?”              

                “Honestly, I don’t know.” Baekhyun paused. “Can you tell me about your gift?”           

                “My hallucinations, you mean?”

                “They aren’t just hallucinations.”

                “Don’t tell me you believe in ghosts.”

                “I don’t. But I do know how powerful perceptions and instincts can be. Instinct. Gut feelings. I don’t believe in ghosts, but I do believe that some have an extraordinary ability to perceive what others do not.”

                “You’re afraid of women.” Youngwon said suddenly.

                “Excuse me?”

                “You don’t have a ring on. You take meticulous care of your hair and nails. You’re dressed in the same slacks you wore on Wednesday, and your apartment is spotless. Your sofa is purple, and the window behind it is open. You know how I know that? Ghosts.”

                “You saw one? Just now?”

                “No. Not now. Although one just walked past the door seven minutes ago.”

                “So… I’m lost. Catch me up here.”           

                “My imagination sees ‘ghosts’ now and then because of my low latent ability. Peoples’ minds inhabit the streams of stimuli that their senses are exposed to. They focus on only what their mind deem important at a certain time. Now, extremely creative people often see more than others. I look at you and see a flood of details. I look out that window and see another universe—some imagined some real. High intelligence processes the extra simulation effectively, but without it, the ideas and senses can be debilitating.”

                “Okay. So you mean, that if—“

                “Can I trust you?” Youngwon cut in.

                “Yes. Sure. Of course.” Baekhyun replied, confused.

                “’Cause the last person that I trusted,” she continued on, “came in after I opened the door and stuck the barrel of his gun in my mouth.”

                “Oh. Then. Don’t trust me.”

                “Anyway,” Youngwon started talking again. “I can see them, talk to them, whatever you would like to all it.”

                “So…” Baekhyun thought for a moment. “If you come to the body, you could help?”

                “I’m not leaving.” Youngwon shook her head adamantly.

                Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it again. Open. Close.

                “I’m not leaving.” Youngwon said again, slower this time.

                “I know. But. What. What if…” Baekhyun trailed off.

                “I’m not leaving!” Youngwon yelled and cried.

                “I—“Baekhyun stopped.

                Bora came barreling in. “Perhaps, FBI agent, you should be taking your leave.”

                Baekhyun gapped. “Yeah… I suppose I will.”

***

                Kim Minseok sat watching the news.

                “As per the Black Annuler case

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter