.one

Wanted

 

Being a field agent was never a walk in the park, but it was only until three days ago did you realize that things have officially gone to shït. 

You can still recall your supervisor's desperation as he spoke of a severe security breach, where private information of every leading politician in your country has been stolen in less than an hour

And that is just absolutely ridiculous and terrifying in the least.

Just more stress to your already stressful workload, and you knew it will only be so long before military secrets become exposed and the possibility of another civil war comes at stake. And this might just be the worst case scenario for you and your team, which means no clues, no leads, just all around nothing in regards to the perpetrator. Yes, you worked for the nation's foremost security force, yet you had absolutely no idea about some petty hacker. Pathetic right?

But you weren't completely out of options, or option, in this matter. It's not one you'd ever wish to consider, and it certainly fazed you when the first person to pop into your mind was a man whom you wished to never see again. 

Shin Hoseok. A man whose reputation precedes him. That name itself has become some magic spell that leaves you with an adrenaline rush with a side of headaches. It's not that you hated his guts, you simply loathed his...attitude. Perhaps it's because you've bumped heads with him on too many occasions. And every single time, the way he'd look at you and crook his goddamn lips always left you in a baffling state of unrest. And that's barely the tip of the iceberg for his risque behavior around you, a government agent.

In short, Shin Hoseok wasn't just a handful. He was a unique one.

However, that was all in the past, and the former criminal moved on from dealing foreign weaponry to corporate marketing. A strange development in your opinion, but you were just glad for him to be finally off your case. Except that didn't last long.

They say desperate times call for desperate measures. So here you are, sitting in a large office of a seven-story building that's solely owned and conducted by the criminal-turned-businessman, Shin Hoseok. 

The peaceful demeanor on your face didn't match the frenzy in your guts, and you weren't sure if you're just irritated about waiting for his arrival. Although the receptionist told you that Hoseok is currently speaking to another client, the silence is surprisingly aggravating.

You sighed before standing up again, this time letting your eyes wander the surroundings in hopes of a distraction. What intrigues you once again are the lavish paintings hung on the walls, which were enough to rival a museum's. How much of them were legally obtained, you wouldn't guess, since it's Shin Hoseok we're talking about.

You stepped towards the tall glass windows, attempting to ease your mind from the flashbacks of his past with you. But obviously, it's no use. How the hell can you not think about him when you're literally on his property, in his office, and breathing oxygen laced with his cologne?

Shaking your head, you tried reminding yourself of today's mission: gather information, that is all. Frankly, that sounds a lot easier in your head. But then again, you've dealt with Shin Hoseok plenty of times, nothing should surprise you now.

 

"Long time no see."

A painful rush of adrenaline shot through your system. Yet the worst part is when you realized just how close that deeply familiar voice is to your ear.

And how in the hell did you not sense him? 

Something's definitely screwing with your head today, but at least your trained poker face is still intact. Living up to your dignity, you suppressed the shock in a matter of seconds.

"Is this how you treat your guest?" You spoke, turning around. "By making me wait?"

But the moment your eyes met with his, you knew you weren't ready. You definitely were not ready. 

The man standing before you has somehow managed to screw up your judgement on too many occasions. And this time is no different. Your eyes unwittingly explored his entire physique, and never had you felt so tempted to curse at how fine a man can look in a suit. From his hair down to his polished shoes, his presence is simply threatening. Thank God none of this showed on your face.

"Trust me, I didn't want to." He answers, lips curling at the corners. "I had to cancel all my appointments for today, for you."

The intensity of his gaze is as strong as you remembered. And judging from that smirk to his tone of voice, Shin Hoseok is still that same old cocky, yet wretchedly attractive bastard. 

But there's no such thing as showing weakness in front of criminals, so you scoff back.

"I'm glad you realize the importance of my visit." You tilt your chin enough to meet his eye level. "So let's cut the nonsense and talk business." As soon as these words left your mouth, you stepped around him, but not before catching a lip bite on his face.

Hoseok swallowed, his eyes following your body as you passed him. "Anything you say." He chuckles softly, smiling at the fact that you, the one he's been craving to see, has not changed at all.

You took a seat in front of his desk and laid out several manila folders. While you focused on the papers at hand, you could tell his gaze is still directed at you.

"I missed you." He states, right as he sits down in front.

You sighed before looking up, meeting his shameless stare that's threatening you as much as his words.

"What did I just say, Wonho?" You retort, still sporting that iron-clad facade of yours. Yes, you still called him by his criminal name, because seeing him as a criminal was just one way to distance yourself from him.

He shrugs, clasping his hands together. "I just thought you wanted to reminisce about our past together."

You knew it. This isn't going to be easy. But if this is how he wants to play, you aren't backing off any time soon.

Shifting your legs together, you put on a grin that mimicked his. "Like what?" You began, "Such as how you were so painfully easy to arrest?"

Wonho his lips as he lets out a soft laugh. "Maybe you're just really good."

"I know I am." You state. "And I'm glad you decided to change careers."

Wonho's eyes flared as he pressed his lips together. Little did you know how much it's taking him to keep it together at the sight of your confidence. To his ears, the bite in your voice is pure seduction. And he loves it.

"You always said a man who puts his head to good use is attractive." He replies, still playing with his lips as he waits your response.

You weren't fazed at all. "Then it's your time to shine." You said, with just a bit of sarcasm as you pushed the folders closer to him. "I'd appreciate your cooperation."

Wonho chuckles as he momentarily drops his head. The aura surrounding your attitude is making him weaker by the second, yet he's just as good as hiding it.

He reaches out, grabbing the folder while purposely brushing his fingers against yours. You manage to suppress an eye roll before clearing your throat.

"Three days ago, around midnight, there was a severe security breach." You explained, pointing to the reports. 

"I heard." Wonho adds while shuffling through the papers. "One of my clients is a victim. His personal bank account information was stolen."

You weren't surprised one bit, since you were expecting a connection between him and the recent crime.

"So then...do you have any information regarding this situation?" You ask, right as he looks up again.

"Not directly." He shakes his head and closes the folders.

You narrow your eyes in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"That means..." He exhales, "I don't know who the perpetrator is, but I do have an idea where the stolen data is."

Once again, you weren't exactly too shocked. Still, you remained silent and urged him to continue.

"The stolen information is going up for auction at the capitol district’s casino." He states, "And that's happening tomorrow night."

This time, your eyes grew wide as his words immediately drove chills down your back. Too many thoughts began flooding in, and the only possible solution you could think of is to issue a SWAT team and take the data back by force. You'd rather not imagine what'll happen if this info falls into the wrong hands. 

At the same time however, you just couldn't keep yourself from wondering. How the hell does Wonho know all of this?  

You drew in a breath, yet he holds up a hand before you could start. "I know what you're thinking." He claims, "And I know you're wondering why I know this."

You fold your arms before raising an eyebrow in suspicion. "You're still dealing underground aren't you?"

"I'm as innocent as a lamb, officer." Wonho smiles, "I've quit that business, but it doesn't mean I don't keep up with my old buddies once in a while."

You respond with a slow nod, realizing there's still some truth to his words. When something as shady as an illegal auction happens, his friends would be the first to know.

"And, that's not the most exciting part." He repeats with the same lip bite before leaning back into his chair. "I was invited to attend the auction."

You stood up in a spur of a moment, almost shocked at your own reaction, yet you managed to calm yourself in time to speak up. "Where? What time? I need details." You command, pushing back the urge just interrogate him on the spot.

"Whoa, hold on." Wonho throws his hands up. "Don't be so rash, I wasn't finished."

A long sigh flew from your lips as you sat back down again, but your mind is still racing.

"They're probably taking extra precautions in case a raid happens." He said, "They place will be under high surveillance. Staying quiet is the best way."

You nod, scratching the idea of releasing an army after the stolen data. "Going undercover huh?" You muse, "That's makes things even harder."

"Yes, especially since it's invite only."

A dull pain hits the side of your head. Even with all this information at hand, things aren't becoming any easier. "How am I supposed to get my team inside..." You mutter, biting your lips.

"You can't." He sighs, "These events have strict invitation policies, and absolutely no tolerance for strangers."

Your headache is becoming worse, and none of the ideas in your mind seemed worthy of consideration. 

"However," he adds, "Since I'm allowed in, I can bring one other person with me." 

Your eyes pop up, only to see that smug look back on his face. "Where are you going with this?" You fold your arms again.

Wonho shrugs nonchalantly. "Have your best field agent join me, and we have a team."

You caught the slight smirk on his lips, and your conscious mind reminded you that his words cannot be trusted completely. Yet, your gut instinct urged you that Wonho may be the only chance you have. But then again, the idea of teaming up with a former criminal for an undercover assignment is simply farfetched.

"Why would you do this?" You spoke, more so as a rhetorical question than a serious one.

"Like I said, I have an important client caught up in this. If I lose his investment, my business will be at risk."

His words rang in your head, and the thought of trusting him suddenly brought back vivid memories in this horribly-timed situation. Several seconds passed without either of you saying a word, but you had to face reality. There's no time to sit down and discuss options. Wonho is your best bet.

"Alright..." You murmur, mentally preparing your next sentence. "I'll get things set up right away. This will be a joint assignment between your private cooperation and ours." 

Wonho's eyes lit up, but you were left with chills clawing your back.

"And...whom am I working with?" He asked.

You almost went quiet again, even though you clearly know there is only one person he can work with. And he seems to know it as well.

"I am." You spoke, feeding him the satisfaction he's been waiting for. 

"Just like old times." He smiles brightly. "I'm glad we're on the same team."

"We're not a team, Wonho." You counter, standing up to gather the folders back into your arms.

"But we sure work like one." He adds.

You froze for a split second, right as the flashbacks you just suppressed came flooding back in. You knew Wonho is just teasing, but that forced you to recall the incident two years ago, when his arrest somehow lead to both of you getting kidnapped. So as a result, you two had to cooperate to escape.

And that was just the start of your way-too-many encounters with him.

"Let me make this clear." You warn, eyes glaring into his. "This is a temporary collaboration due to the extremity of this issue. In case of any mishaps, you'll be held responsible as well."

Wonho stands up without taking his eyes off yours. “Then, may I ask...how do you plan on obtaining the data?” His gaze hinting a challenge. “The auction price won’t be a pretty one.”

Ironically, as you stood in silence, buying it was not something you even considered.

“Unless you’re-”

“You just focus on getting us in. I’ll be taking care of the rest.” You state, ignoring the amusement on his face.

Wonho breaks into a gentle laugh and nods. "Then let's both do our best."

You maintained a calm demeanor while internally questioning if this was really the right choice. You couldn't read him, and despite how much you'd try, you just can't grasp the purpose behind his actions. This man is a mystery, and it's best just to accept it.

"Of course. Thank you for your cooperation." You gave a small smile, bowing your head out of courtesy before turning your heels. But as you neared the door, you heard him clear his throat. 

"And I really do miss you." He calls, stopping you midway. "You're still as beautiful as I remember."

Much to your dismay, his baseless compliments still have an effect. And you'd be lying if his words didn't fumble your heart rate a little. But still, you stuck to the cheeky facade before looking back.

"Save the compliments for after we clean up this mess." You chime with light sarcasm and proceed out the door.

 

Still, not a single coherent thought crossed your mind. But if one things is clear, this is going to be one hell of a mission.