New Neighbors

Pretty Girl Next Door

It was 2:13 in the blasted morning of what could possibly be the most stressful day of Chou Tzuyu’s life. She was tired, cranky, and unhealthily caffeine-addicted after several weeks of procrastinating on the internet and putting off her English paper until “later” and “when I feel inspired”, also known as “way too late in the wee hours of the day when I will get nothing done”. Now the Taiwanese girl was (grudgingly) resorting to sacrificing her precious few hours of sleep to put the last few finishing touches finish writing two whole pages of the darn thing and hopefully be able to get up later to turn it in.

All in the daily life of a master procrastinator.

None of this was anything new to the ninth grader. She was a naturally good student (dubbed a “genius” by her friends and her more amicable classmates, but she was really just somewhat of a perfectionist) as well as a K-pop fanatic. Tzuyu was fantastically good at wasting time and getting away with it. It was a skill she secretly took pride in, as well as one that had never let her down before.

And why should it now? The only problem was that this time, there was another, unpredicted variable thrown into the equation: the annoying new neighbors.

Oh yes, the neighbors.

The very neighbors who had been blasting their uncultured, vulgar party music at deafening volumes well over the healthy level of 85 decibels since 7 P.M. last night. The very neighbors who had been responsible for ruining what could have been a perfectly productive night of banging out somehow-not-crap essays and typing for five hours straight. And most importantly, the very neighbors who had disrupted the latest episode of Running Man she had been streaming!

Had they really been partying this entire time?! There was no way. What, Tzuyu the temporarily grumpy introvert grumpily remarked to herself, was the freaking point of that? People didn’t do anything at parties except get drunk and act stupid. And socialize. Ew, socializing.

Yeah, she couldn’t deal with all this noise. Not even her trusty noise cancelling headphones could block out the incessant wailing of whatever terrible rock band was “in” these days, courtesy of the accursed occupants of the neighboring house. That really was the last straw. Annoying neighbors who even had horrendous taste in music? Tzuyu couldn’t even.

There were a few things about Chou Tzuyu any sentient being which valued its sorry life needed to know. You don’t screw with Chou Tzuyu. You don’t make her mad. And if you screw with her or make her mad, you better run. Yet the God forsaken hooligans living next door, clearly uneducated in the study of Tzuyu-ism, completely disregarded these simple principles of existence.

Luckily, Tzuyu didn’t get mad often. She was a quiet kid, and often kept to herself whenever possible. It was out of her comfort zone to tell someone (her friends Momo and Nayeon excluded) to shut up. But at this time of night with this amount of work left to do, she wasn’t going to let this one go.  

In her irritable state, her resolve firmed and she made up her mind. She was going over there, knocking on the door, and giving her neighbors a figurative piece of her very intelligent mind. Tzuyu wasn’t going to be the shy, polite, reserved kid she always seemed to be in front of strangers right then. No, she was going to be strong and assertive for once! Although perhaps in a nice way.

Determined after working up a good deal of confidence and ‘swag', the raven-haired girl slipped on her casual sweats and marched out of her apartment, giving herself little exclamations of encouragement all the while. She drew herself to her full height of 5’7” and knocked firmly on her neighbor’s door, obsessing over the proper way to knock on it (making sure to rap confidently on the surface with the knuckles of her tightly fisted dominant hand, held at a 45 degree angle from the horizontal perpendicular to the door…)

Crap, someone answered. What do I do what do I do what do I do ohmygosh stay strong Tzuyu use your inner Taiwanese fighting spirit don’t forget to be mean c’mon you can do it-

The tall teenager in her breath and prepared to let loose a string of (polite?) complaints for whichever condemned soul that had the misfortune to encounter a hell-bent Chou Tzuyu in a bad mood. That poor soul sure was going to get it from her. Nobody could escape her wrath. That boy better start saying his prayers now...

But no. It wasn’t a boy. What a shame, because at least boys she could deal with.

The doorknob twisted and the door swung open in what seemed to be an exaggerated slow motion. A glowing golden figure almost eye level with flowing, brilliant blonde hair materialized in the frame and greeted her with a dazzling smile, immediately charming the Yoda with her cute, puffed-out squirrel cheeks. A clear-cut, sharp nose and plump red lips… it seemed as if every bit of this girl was delicately carved out of stone, from her petite shoulders to her slender frame. Tzuyu was captivated at once by the sight of said figure’s glorious cheekbones. How could a mortal possess such perfectly sculptured features of beauty? Tzuyu thought she must have been blessed to be in the presence of a goddess.

Well of coooooourse it had to be a breathtaking, insanely beautiful annoying neighbor with bad taste in music.

Just her luck, the person who answered the door was female. A pretty female. A pretty female with the most gorgeous eyes she had ever seen. And Tzuyu froze like a deer in headlights, that little voice of reason in her head lamenting the effect of pretty females with gorgeous eyes on her poor, gay heart.

So she froze, brain, gaping mouth and all.

Tzuyu thinks this must be God’s idea of a joke, torturing her like this.

 

 

 

A/N: Yeah, I'm sorry that I epically fail at description. But can you feel the secondhand cringe (thanks Chewy)? :D Please let me know how I did in the comments! I hope I managed to deliver a decent chapter. Tell me what you liked and disliked, and don't forget to have a nice day!

(And I forgot to unhide the chapter, sorry guys >_<)