every girl deserves a cinderella moment

Friends with benefits

“IT’S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up you guyssssss!”

“God help me, I’m really going to shoot her!” Jessica’s displeased threat rose over the ecstatic chirps of Tiffany. Hyoyeon, who was sleeping next to her reached her arm out and placed it over her best friend’s mid-section - just in case - while sounds of yawns and stretching bodies emerged one by one around them.

The nine girls were in Tiffany’s spacious basement rec room following a night of primping with face masks, massages and all kinds of beauty regiments just to prepare for this much awaited day – PROM!

“I call bathroom 1”

“I call 2”

“Kwon Yuri calls the last one.”

 

Hyoyeon pulled her pillow over her head. She was never a super girly girl and it took her all but 15 minutes to shower and get ready in the morning. Her outfit of the day was whatever she felt like – usually a funky mix of girlish and edgy pieces - that was her standout signature style. So she decided to take the extra few minutes of snooze time; leaving the rest of the girls to battle it out for bathroom privileges.

 

An hour later, the internal traffic started to die down so Hyoyeon finally decided it was time to wake up. She could no longer ingnore the frothy aroma of cappuccinos and fresh baked goods or her rumbling tummy. Plus, if she didn’t hurry, Sooyoung and Yoona would probably devour everything in sight.

“Sica ya, wake up! Let’s eat breakfast.” She nudged the bundled up lump that was curled up in front of her.

A thin hand stuck out from under the white down blankets waving her away. Taking the hint, Hyoyeon headed to the washroom with a shrug. Jessica loved sleeping more than just about anything – even food!

 

“So everyone knows the plan for today or should we do a quick recap?”

A collective groan gave her her answer.

“Hwang MiYoung, I swear I’ll cut off your vocal chords if you make us listen to that one more time!” Sunny warned her with a deceivingly innocent smile but Tiffany knew better – Sunny had almost pushed Yoona down the stairs because she couldn’t stand her aegyo voice.

“Eh… Am I that bad? Ok, sorry I’ll shut up!” The hyper girl trailed off with a guilty smile.

“Good girl,” Sunny petted her head and the rest of the girls said a silent prayer that it was the last day they’d have to follow orders from Prom Boss Fany. She didn’t want to go to jail before College.

 

Once breakfast was done and Sica had finally decided to grace the group with her presence, they left for the hair salon together. Then it was off to mani/pedis – it was finally 3:00 pm when the best friends dispersed towards their own houses to get ready and wait for their dates.

And not to forget the fact that all their parents were waiting at home eagerly, brandishing their cameras as though they were weapons – ready to point and shoot lest their embarrassed offsprings try to make a quick getaway without posing for pictures.

========================================================================

“Hyoyeonie! You’re home.” Mr. Kim welcomed her as soon as she entered the apartment. He was beaming proudly as if it was his own graduation day or something while her housekeeper ajumma burst into spontaneous tears at seeing how beautiful and grown up her little agasshi* looked with her hair and make-up done.

Hyoyeon could only shake her head at her loving family. “Relax you guys! I haven’t even gotten ready completely!”

Her father nodded – understanding very well that his daughter was secretly feeling shy and embarrassed - so he had already planned to leave the apartment to let her get ready.

“What time is Mr. Choi’s son picking you up?”

“At 6:30…”

“Ok, we’ll be back around 6, dear.” He kissed her forehead lightly and Hyoyeon suddenly felt like daddy’s  little girl again- wanting to cling to his sweater everywhere he went. So she stopped him, “Thanks appa" and gave him a kiss on the cheek as well before waving gooodbye.

*********************************************************************************

 

“Mmmm….” Hyoyeon eyed the dress that was hanging in her closet carefully. It was quite literally the most stunning piece of clothing she has ever owned and though she hated being too dressed up, she had to admit she was excited to put in on.  

The dress was absolutely perfect. Hyoyeon had wanted something that she could dance in but Tiffany would not hear of her wearing just another cocktail dress so this was the amazing compromise – a sweeping floor length gown that was very pricey but her appa would not allow her to settle for anything else. And once she tried it on – Hyoyeon couldn’t put up a fair protest either. The way the skirt swooshed and flowed when she moved made her feel like a Fairy Tale Princess – and wasn’t that what prom was about?

 

(ignore Kate beckinsale :))

The best part though, was that the skirt was detachable; so she could easily show off her famed dance moves when the time came. Hyoyeon had no intention of being one of those girls who just sit down not willing to eat or move because their dresses were too tight or uncomfortable. 

 

Taking a deep giddy breath, she gently removed the dress from the hanger and shimmied into it. It zipped up at the side, encasing her petite dancer’s body like a custom made glove.  

For a brief moment – a flash of jitters hit her.  How it would go later that night? Would Siwon it off of her?

She shook her head rapidly. She shouldn’t be thinking about it – every time even a whiff of that thought entered her mind, her nerves would go into overdrive making her lightheaded and clumsy. A while ago, she had even blurted out ‘’ instead of ‘Six’ during their cheerleading practice – earning her two days of non-stop teasing from Sooyoung! No way she was taking that chance again..

So Hyoyeon had decided to just go with the flow – whatever happened would happen – no overthinking!

 

 

 

“Ok… time check – 4:10.. that’s almost two hours till Siwon gets here,” she commented to herself, “my purse is packed – oh mints! Can’t forget those…and flats! What else..  Overnight bag to leave in the limo.. change of clothing, my creams and lotions…the hotel’s probably going to have shampoos and stuff.. what else am I forgetting? Think Hyoyeon…what else –”

Her phone started ringing, interrupting her mid-sentence. She rushed over in case it was Tiffany freaking out over some kind of Prom emergency but she was surprised to hear Hyukjae’s voice instead.

“Hey!”

“Hey! What’s up?”

“Are you at home?”

“Yup. Why?”

“I need you! Can I come over?” He sounded rushed and slightly anxious. Hyoyeon’s brows furrowed – “Ya Hyukjae, Is everything ok?”

“I’ll explain when I get there!”

 

 

 

Hyoyeon immediately rushed to the door to wait for Hyukjae.  

A couple of minutes later, the doorbell rang and Hyoyeon threw it open, not knowing what to expect. The boy worried her sometimes – even though he had settled in so well at their school, he still had his quick temper that often got him in trouble and more than a handful of fist fights!

 

“So what’s wrong?” she immediately inquired when they were face to face.

No response.

“Hyukjae! Are you ok? Did something happen?”

Her best friend simply stared at her wide eyed.

 

For his part, Hyukjae could see her lips moving but there was no sound.

He was too in awe of how stunning Hyoyeon looked – it was the first time he had seen her so dolled up – but it wasn’t the hair or the make-up... it was the radiance that emitted from every inch of her. Yes, even with her forehead all scrunched up in worry!

 

And Hyukjae was a guy who appreciated beauty - never shying away from complimenting any girl he found to be beautiful (which was certainly one of the reasons he had such a high success rate with girls). Most of those girls just giggled and put on a false sense of modesty but not Hyoyeon. The silly girl would freeze and then burst into laughter, shoving him away with a “what do you need, Hyukjae?”

 

But today, he knew that she had embraced the fact that she did indeed look beautiful – making her shine even brighter!

“LEE HYUKJAE! WILL YOU SAY SOMETHING?”

“Ouch!” She had just pinched his arm. “So, violent Kim Hyoyeon is still present under that graceful exterior?” he joked as he stepped into the apartment and headed towards the living room – with Hyoyeon following him, her skirt rustling as she walked.

 

Hyoyeon puffed out her cheeks in annoyance. She hated when Hyukjae never gave her a straight answer – he just loved getting her riled up!

“I don’t see any cuts or bruises so I guess you weren’t in a fight and you’re in a good enough mood to tease me so, what’s the emergency?”

Hyukjae took off his tuxedo coat and gave her a crinkled smile. “Some buttons are missing. Will you sew them on, please? You know I gotta look dapper for my Prom shots. The junior girls are already lining up for autographed copies.”

“What?” Hyoyeon rolled her eyes in disbelief – hand sticking out to smack his arm out of habit – “This was your emergency? Lee Hyukjae! You are so…..”

“Handsome? Cool? Awesome? Wait, now that I think about it.. you haven’t complimented me on how great I look today, Hyorrrengi!” He twirled around like a Miss Universe contestant – but Hyoyeon refused to humor him and simply walked off to her room to dig up her needle box.

Once out of his line of sight, however, Hyoyeon broke out into a grin – Hyukjae did look especially sharp and handsome today with his hair gelled up. But no way in hell she was going to tell him that and let him get an even bigger head!

 

=========================================================================================

hello dear readers! /cowers in shame/ sorry for the long absence but honest to goodness, i have forgotten how to write. the words just wouldn't come out but i felt very bad for making you all wait around so i forced myself to do it today. i still dont like this chapter but i think it's helping me get back into writing. i might update again soon .. very soon so if this is boring, look forward to the next one! thank you for your comments and subscriptions