The Maknae Line

The Lucky One

People liked to be near Yoon Jeonghan. When he thought about it rationally he supposed it was because he was very calm and open with others. Or possibly because of how readily affectionate he was with them. Growing up with a close younger sister left him accustomed to leaning on shoulders, holding hands in crowds and lying haphazardly over his other members when they watched TV. It was a comfort he knew he took for granted. He was lucky he had so many people so close to him. Of all s though, it was the maknae line that made him really feel like an elder brother at home once again.

Firstly there was Lee Chan. Chan was their energetic maknae who listened well and more specifically indulged almost all of Jeonghan's little games. The youngest was still a bit smaller and sparked the strongest urge to coddle out of all the other boys. When he sat next to Chan, Jeonghan liked how he could wrap an arm around his shoulders and lean into him if he was tired, and know that he wouldn’t be shaken off. Chan would often choose to sit next to Jeonghan aswell even though he knew it only made it easier for the elder to ruffle his hair or pet his head. Chan of course was still a teenager who got embarrassed by all of Jeonghan’s attentions when they got a bit too much, which was something he played up a lot in front of the camera, "because it's more fun for the fans hyung!". Jeonghan understood. He once asked the boy if he really wanted him to stop and the look of sheer panic, followed by hasty reassurances that it was mostly an act, was enough to not only comfort the elder, but also leave him with a wide smile. Their maknae had charm. While Chan also acted very mature and happy there were certain times that Jeonghan was reminded that he was still only 17 and under all the stress in the world.

Last season Soonyoung had gotten a cold and was bedridden for 3 days after he worsened it by exhausting himself during practice. Jeonghan remembered the brave face their maknae put on in the studio when their manager left to take the other boy home early. The whole performance team did well together during that stretch, and in the end Hoshi came back to them smiling widely and praising their improvement in his absence. The way Chan smiled and helped lead the choreo for the rest of practice had Jeonghan fooled into thinking that maybe the younger wasn’t as affected as he expected him to be. That his team leader and favorite hyung being in such bad condition hadn’t gotten to him. Jeonghan decided in the car on hugging the younger boy into his side and letting him know in hushed tones to come to him if he needed anything. He didn’t expect anything to come of it which was naive of him. Jeonghan of course knew better once he was awoken on the second night by a teary-eyed face trying to ask for comfort or reassurance or something through muffled sniffs and hiccups. As he scooted over to make room on his bed and then rubbed the maknae’s back until he finally fell asleep, he resigned to keep a better eye on all of them next time.

Jeonghan and Hansol were not as close as some of the other members simply due to their limited interaction outside the dorms and waiting rooms. Their different subunits, ages, and placements in choreography didn't fit them together often, and the younger boy was often buzzing around all over the dorm when they had time off. Like Jeonghan, Hansol could be clingy as well, but it seemed more reserved for the maknae line and even then rarely on camera. Hansol was still one of their youngest however and while he wasn’t the baby he was still subjected to some coddling, which he rarely protested. The elder found Hansol's enthusiasm about so many things both refreshing and tiring after a bit. Hansol liked to play games and laugh along with the others as much as he did, but there were times when Jeonghan simply couldn’t match that energy, something that really left him feeling old. The boy was really cute in his excitement though.

Jeonghan couldn't count the number of times the younger had come flying through the dorms yelling "HYUNG HYUNG HYUNG" while not looking for any older member in particular. Each time Jeonghan was found first and singled out he would be led by a grip on his wrist into the bedroom where hansol's laptop featured some new or foreign artist he couldn't wait to show everyone. Jeonghan always sat with him and indulged him if only because seeing Hansol get so worked up and excited over things was refreshing even if he often envied that passion he had. Being picked first also always left him feeling warm and content as well. Plus, with the younger's hand still tight around his wrist and the other absentmindedly playing with his fingers in his lap as he explained the context of whatever new music or artist he found, how could he not?

If he absolutely had to choose a member of the maknae line that he was closest with, Jeonghan would have little trouble picking Boo Seungkwan. He and Jeonghan were quite close due to not only being in the same unit, but also having pretty compatible personalities. Seungkwan was a reliable dongsaeng who was very honest in his evaluations of situations and others. He was someone who Jeonghan often went to with his stresses and in return also asked for advice from his elder. Boo Seungkwan was also his most possessive dongsaeng. Jeonghan noticed this as early as their Seventeen TV days. He was possessive of his role in their team. Possessive of his belongings to the point where he could tell if anything was missing. He was also possessive of his teammates. Jeonghan wouldn’t say this was a problem of any kind though, because Seungkwan was also kind, humble, and mature especially when the time called for it. Sometimes, he just didn’t seem to like sharing, especially if it wasn’t with the other members.

Jeonghan noticed if he was playing with members of other groups for an extended time, Seungkwan would show up and , clinging to Jeonghan’s arm. This of course wasn’t an issue given they all got along well and were happy to include him, but the consistency of it was noticeable, as was the slightly-too-tight grip around his bicep. He figured the behavior might stem from insecurity, as he knew the boy was prone to it, and the more he considered it the more it upset him. Imagining the possible thoughts the younger might have consciously or unconsciously that would drive him to feeling upset over small things like that made Jeonghan’s throat feel tight and his eyes sting, remembering when his own insecurities still partially revolved around the group dynamic.
So Jeonghan indulged it in every way possible. He would fist a hand in Seungkwans jacket and drag him closer while they were talking. Ask to share rooms with him or sleep next to him when they were to rest outside the dorm. He’d let him drag him away from group conversations when he wasn’t needed and he praised him often. He often questioned and hoped that what he was doing was enough, but when grabs became less insistent and tight and more natural and affectionate, he figured he must be doing something right.