Accepted On One Condition

In The Heart Of The Sea

[From Yoojung's POV]

For the last weekend, it seemed to have lasted longer than we expected. Maybe it was because we seemed to do more things over the weekend with Yoongi. For example, we visited the botanical gardens, took a day trip to Jeju Island and even went back to Daegu to visit our grandparents. It was especially true for Yoongi and me, where we had spent time with each other on the streets of Seoul and the studios, producing covers and writing new song pieces.

 

After he left to book in again, Mum and I were definitely sad, knowing that he was not going to be coming home for a while. This was due to the fact that he signed up for a role to become an Officer after his Passing Out Parade (POP) next year, and would have to go through a series of tests to prove that he was suitable for the crucial role.

 

For me, I had continued on with the typical life of a high school student. It was my turn to take the CSATs and it definitely put us under a lot of pressure. Classes started at 8am, as usual, and ended at 11pm for the most part. Surprisingly, nobody cared about the curfew that had been implemented recently by the Korean government and continued to work hard for the grades we hoped to achieve at the end of the year.

 

It was a typical day when I reached home at 9pm after a remedial class. Luckily, I already had dinner with my friends and all I needed to do was take a refreshing shower and complete the homework due for the next day. I sighed at the daunting thought, but decided to persevere if I was to uphold the "Min Legacy”.

 

It was not long before a loud "Ding!” echoed in my room, indicating that I had received a message or an email. Indeed, the email pop-up showed and I slid my finger across the notification to unlock the phone.

 

When I saw the message, my eyes widened and my jaw hung in utter shock. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach; their wings brushing against the walls of it, as well as the adrenaline pumping through my system. I began to smile, so much to the point that my cheeks started to hurt, but I could not control myself with the happiness that I was experiencing in the current moment.

 

It read:

 

To: Gong Yoojung <[email protected]>

From: Lee Hyunbin <[email protected]>

Subject: RE: Application to the Navy (Republic of Korea)

 

Dear Ms Gong Yoojung,

 

We are pleased to inform you that your application (Navy; Navy Officer) has been rendered successful by the Board. We are looking forward to meeting you and giving you the opportunity to work with us in defending our country.

 

For the interview dates, please state your preference in the link below. As we have a considerably high number of successful applicants, we seek your understanding in putting in your ideal choice by 1 July 2016.

 

Thank you for your cooperation and we would want to thank you once again for your application. We look forward to seeing you at the interviews. Please contact us for more enquiries or visit our website at rknavy.gov.kr for more information.

 

Yours faithfully,

 

Lieutenant Lee Hyun Bin

Platoon 45

+82 405-806-32

 

 


 

 

[Yoongi’s POV]

 

It was just another day in the Navy, which consisted of learning the ways of navigation and survival skills out at sea with a makeshift 80kg rubber boat. Performing these skills in the scorching heat of the summer was definitely difficult, but we pressed on and persevered our way as the hours passed.

 

Sometimes, it was mind over matter. Many had said that the Navy was the easiest out of the 3 factions, but that was definitely untrue. In fact, they seemed to be of equal difficulty, especially the Air Force, based on my observations and hearsay alone. Until today, nobody, including myself, figured why I was always inclined to the Navy. Ever since I turned 12, I loved strategic board games set at sea and furthermore, I loved the ocean. Hence, with those things in mind, the Navy was definitely the most suitable place for me after I had completed my Basic Military Training. Hence, I hoped that my Platoon Sergeant would have placed me there, even with my application, and true enough, he did.

 

Now, I sat in the canteen with my ex-platoon mates and all of us talked about how our day had gone so far. Seokjin lamented about his time as a stockman, while Hoseok talked about his “exhilarating” experience throwing a grenade. Don’t get me wrong; despite Hoseok’s bubbly persona, he was always serious when the time called for it. According to our previous platoon sergeant, he had named Hoseok as one of the best recruits that he has ever trained. In other words, he was not only tough, but was able to encourage his comrades to overcome adversities with a positive mind.

 

We were so absorbed in our conversation that we took no notice of Namjoon’s absence, until he actually showed up. As usual, he put on a serious expression, as if he was deep in thought about something.

 

"Hyung!! What’s up?” Jimin asked, with much curiosity laced in his voice.

 

"We just received the details of the successful applicants. This year, we have received more than ever before. God knows why but it seems that the government has done a good job in getting people to join the Navy.” He replied.

 

"Wait,” Hoseok interrupted, "Are these applications for the Juniors, or does it include the girls too?”

 

"There has been quite a number of girls but there was one application which stood out the most.”

 

At that, Namjoon turned to look at me and I continued to eat my rice with a slight uneasiness brewing in my guts. It was only when he mentioned my sister’s name and the fear escalated as quickly as it possibly could.

 

"M-Min Y-Yoojung?” I stuttered and Namjoon nodded, before continuing on with his meal.

 

At that, I began to develop a whole bunch of mixed feelings. Firstly, she was stepping into a highly male-dominated job and as her older brother, I could not help but worry. Sure, we did have plenty of great characters but she was still an "innocent” 18-year-old teenager. Secondly, she was doing something that Mum would definitely disapprove of. Hence, I was actually surprised that she continued with the submission.

 

Seeing my worried expression, Taehyung only gave my shoulder a comforting squeeze and flashed his signature smile. I swear, this boy was almost like the walking epitome of sunshine, in which staring at his smile might be absolutely blinding for some.

 

"Don’t worry hyung! She’ll be okay. Just trust her and she’ll be fine! The army is no safe sanctuary but with the fact that she’s your sister, I’m sure she’s way stronger than the average female.”

 

I only looked at him, before the rest, with the most intimidating glare and said, "If any of you even lay a finger on her, I’ll literally kill you with my own hands.”

 

 


Author's Note: 

Hello readers! I know I said that I would be putting up a chapter of this fanfiction 2 months ago and I'm sorry that I was unable to due to my busy schedules and piles of homework that I had to complete. :( However, due to the fact that the exam season comes to a temporal end, I just felt like posting a chapter as a form of celebration. :) However, I'd like to thank all of you guys (especially the subscribers) for waiting so patiently for this one update. Your support really means a lot to me and I can't be more grateful for all that. :) This chapter is not proof read so please pardon any mistakes that might be present. :( However. fret not, just drop me a message and I'll address the concerns as soon as I can. :) Nevertheless, I hope you guys enjoy the chapter all the same and if you did, feel free to subscribe or just drop a comment in the comment box below! ^^ Once again, thank you for waiting and looking forward to the buildup of this story. :) I might not be updating any sooner but don't worry, I'm still here and will try to keep in touch with all of you once in a while okay? :)