one

The Girl Who Sees Ghosts

Soojin had her head hung low. She could hear the malicious whispers from every corner of the room. She deliberately didn’t tie her hair because she could see the horrible faces from the corner of her eyes. It was threatening and scary that she couldn’t even look at the chalkboard where the math functions were written.

She had almost the worst grade in her class.

It was frustrating that her ability could make her lack of a lot of things. That was the second reason why she hated her ability. It disadvantaged her in so many aspects of her life.

  1. She couldn’t study well in every class. Especially since the class she got is the third class who got most of malicious creatures. She didn’t understand why her classmates could easily live in the room.
  2. She didn’t have any friend.
  3. Her grades were .
  4. She haven’t had a boyfriend considering she is a weird girl in school.

She had lost count.

But those were the things that affected most on her life. She couldn’t be the pretty girl or the social butterfly in the school—or at least, a normal girl who had a few devoted friends. She just wanted a simple life. And instead, she got to be the weird girl who everybody looked down to.

Instead, she got whispers from other students.

It was a complete mess.

Soojin put her hands on her ears and closed her eyes, praying to push away the creature. Soojin could feel someone’s lips almost touch her ears. Everything was cold and she swore her nails went blue from the cold.

I’m going to kill, it whispered.

Soojin closed her eyes tightly, trying to concentrate on her teacher’s words in front the class. It kept going, and the whispers started to grow louder and it emphasized each word it say.

I’m going to kill you, she screamed.

“Han Soojin?” The teacher called.

Soojin snapped and looked up to her teacher. Most of the students gasped in surprised when they saw Soojin’s face. Her eye bags were looking horrible, messy hair, and the scariest thing was the fact that her lips were almost blue and her nose was bleeding.

“Are you okay?” The teacher seemed bewildered.

“Your nose is bleeding.” One girl that sat in front of her patted her arm.

Soojin touched her nose and felt a liquid running down her nose. She covered her nose with her hands before she built up the courage to speak, “C-can I go to the bathroom?”

“Y-yeah,” He replied, half panic. “Just take a rest in infirmary room. Take your time.”

Soojin rushed out the class, running from the creature as she kept hiding her nose with her hands. As soon as she got into the bathroom, she turned the faucet and removed the blood from her nose.

The nosebleeds only happened when a ghost had this strong aura around it and tend to be more violent and evil than usual. Soojin had experienced it many times, yet she still couldn’t help but feeling weak about it as the entity tended to push itself into her.

 Soojin turned off the faucet and gave her nose one last brush before she looked at the mirror. She fell at the ground in surprise when she saw a girl with short hair behind her. She was wearing a prom dress and her lipstick was smeared everywhere. She smiled.

“No,” She cried. “Don’t do that again, Mel!”

Mel seemed surprise and crouched right beside her, “Sorry. I should’ve known.”

“Now you know.” Soojin buried her head on her knees.

“Sorry. Was it that bad?”

“Everything is bad for me, Mel,” Soojin said. “Who is she anyway?”

“It’s either the Chinese princess or the eyeless teacher,” She pouted, thinking hard. “You need to be more specific.”

“I’m too scared,” Soojin replied in sarcasm. “Thank you for your concern.”

“I’m the only one who cares about you,” She smirked. “You know?”

“Obviously, my only friend in this school is a dead Japanese girl who haunts the bathroom’s girl.” Soojin rolled my eyes.

Mel laughed in amused before she turned herself into a normal appearance. She did say that she liked scaring people, especially Soojin because she was the only friend Mel had (and vice versa).

As mentioned before, Mel—long name is Mel Kawazumi—is a Japanese-American sixteen years old girl who was murdered in 1987 by the popular girls in her school. However, the school closed and changed ownership for a couple of time before Soojin’s school founder bought it and made a local school.

Since then, she haunted all the girl’s bathrooms. She liked to spook people with her appearance and flying objects. She really did that a few times in a month just so it made her more mysterious and hope the students would seek her out of curiosity.

“I love you.” She faked a kiss.

“Shut up,” Soojin covered her face with her hands in disbelief. “I’m really weird befriend with a ghost. This is just doesn’t make sense.”

“Of course it doesn’t!” She sat with her legs crossed. “But it’s Ahn Soojin.”

Mel winked teasingly.

“Mel, I’m going to infirmary room.” Soojin eventually said, standing up.

“Why?” Mel sulked and squirmed her body. “Stay here.”

“No, I’m tired.” Soojin waved the ghost a goodbye before she stepped out from the bathroom.

Soojin strode through halls, which had a lot of creatures in—almost—every corner of the hall, but she could bear with it. She knew—or felt—that they didn’t mean any harm. They just wanted to stay there, to have a house. So she let them be. But even though they didn’t mean any bad, some of their faces were still unacceptably corrupted. Soojin held her head a bit low so she didn’t have to accidentally see their faces.

However, the halls were empty because it wasn’t break time yet. It was pretty scary for Soojin—the aura wasn’t that well. So she fastened her pace to get to infirmary room.

The infirmary room was empty, just like what Soojin expected. However she scanned the room first before she could go completely in. Sleeping with ghost was the least thing she would do.

“Oh my god,” A transparent middle-aged woman in a traditional nurse uniform came to me. “Are you sick, child?”

Soojin breathed in, “No. I just need some sleep.”

“Okay!” She sounded cheerful and continued to fiddle with the cabinet, opening the stuffs and doing pointless things.

 Soojin slowly paced to the empty bed. She laid herself on it and immediately closed her eyes, trying to find peace. But the ghost kept chattering things. It was too disturbing. She kept waiting for some silence, but the nurse didn’t even bother about it.

Soojin opened her eyes slowly, trying to find out what the heck was happening. The nurse kept trying to make herself busy, probably because her soul was stuck somewhere and she was lost. She only remembered doing chores on hospital, so she acted like so.

Her mom taught her about everything ever since little kid. But Soojin was grateful because if she didn’t, she would be freaking the hell out and refused to go everywhere.

Soojin was just about to jump out from the bed when a boy came in to the infirmary room. He passed by the nurse and searched by the cabinet. He was holding his head as he foraged the cabinet.

Soojin saw everything. Including the part where the nurse suddenly took a step back when she saw him. She looked scared and she didn’t dare to take a step forward. She stood there, hugging the table chart and attempting to not look at him. Her face looked so petrified.

Something wasn’t right.

“Excuse me,” The boy turn around, exposed his face. Soojin gasped a little when the boy exposed his face. It was Oh Sehun, the best school team’s quarterback. “Do you know where the painkillers are?”

Soojin looked at the nurse, and the nurse pointed at the lowest cabinet. She nodded and walked to the cabinet, squatted, and took the painkillers. Soojin’s cheeks went almost red because why not? He’s hot and athletic. He was completely her style.

Soojin took out her hand where she had taken the painkillers. Sehun smiled—ever so handsomely—and took the painkillers on her hand. By the time he did that, their fingers brushed accidentally.

She suddenly had pieces of pictures playing in her head. Soojin had the sudden panic when she saw the school’s backyard and a girl with white and pale face behind the tree, watching. She looked normal, but not with her eyes. It was full of hatred and agony. Soojin could feel it very well. It was threatening.

The ghost was threatening Oh Sehun.