chapter 1

The boy who is listless

This one is kind of awkward but only introduction anyway


 

“Good morning! Did you sleep well?”

“I did.”

“Me too.” Silence. Like every morning when they met up. Kai looks to his right, wondering if kyungsoo really sleeps well because he looks more tired than usual and that means something. Kyungsoo is always exhausted or maybe he really is just as listless as he tries to portray. Kai smiles a little at that thought. His friend is admirable. He always has liked kyungsoo a lot because even though he is a lazy fellow, kyungsoo is good at studying and someone kai can believe into. They silent walks aren’t uncomfortable anymore and kai has gotten used to kyungsoo’s behavior. He likes everything about the smaller male and he wondered often if his liking is bordering into something else but until now kai has remained on the ground of realities. Kyungsoo would never like him, he is a guy after all. Stealing another glance at his friend, kai can’t help but smile at the smaller male who looks straight ahead blankly.

“Do you have any plans for after school?”

“No not really.” 

“Me neither. Want to go eat ice cream?” waiting patiently for a reply, kai looks around them. He always has to keep a watch out for cars or other people because kyungsoo never does pay attention to his surroundings and it happened a lot in the past that people crashed into him or a car drove past him in unruly speed. Kyungsoo hadn’t even been shocked but kai almost had a heart attack while walking behind said calm person. That was also how they got to know each other, a worried sick kai for his fellow classmate who had the same way home as him.  He scolded kyungsoo big time in middle school, telling him to be more careful and those blank eyes stared back at him before a small smile grazed his beautiful pale and bored looking face. He said “thanks for caring” before the both went on their ways and found out that they didn’t live far apart from each other.

The next day, like fate wanted them to meet again (from kai’s perspective), kai walked past kyungsoo's house in the morning when the latter stepped out of it. From that time on their both walked to school together and their friendship developed.

“Ice cream sound good but I don’t know yet.”, kyungsoo voice doesn’t change in volume. At first kai had been uncomfortable with kyungsoo's unusualy behavior. He was always so calm, relaxed, almost lazy and sleepy. He didn’t match kai’s character one bit but the boy was nice and kai got along with him just fine. Now kai liked him maybe a little bit too much but as long as kyungsoo endured his presence, didn’t pull away and stayed friends with him, the other didn’t have a problem.

When they arrive at their high school, kai and kyungsoo separate. Kyungsoo told kai that he needed to go to the bathroom and because they still had twenty minutes to spare, kai only nodded at his friend's blunt lie. Kai knew exactly where the other was going so he instantly suggested to take his bag for him. The smile kyungsoo threw at him was knowing and unexpected. The older still managed to surprise kai.

Or maybe not. Five minutes before class starts, kyungsoo still didn’t make it to their shared classroom. With a sigh that was not annoyed but just resigned, kai asked their friends to cover for him and kyungsoo. Like always.

Walking through the halls of the school with ease, kai let his feet lead the way to the backyard of the school. Under a shadowed tree laid kyungsoo, his beautiful brown eyes closed and his black hair swept in the wind. He looked so relaxed and innocent. Kai stopped himself from waking the other up even though the first bell had already rung.

Staring at the boy's sleeping form under the tree, kai couldn’t help but smile at the sight. Kyungsoo really hadn’t changed. He lied when he said that he did sleep well. Maybe his mother made him do unnecessary homework again? Silently laughing to himself, kai kneels down beside his friend.

“Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo?”

“It is such a beautiful day Jongin. Why don’t we enjoy nature and rest under a willow, feeling the breeze and the grass in our touch instead of staying in a sturry old classroom every day?”

“Well, because education is important and your parents will murder you if their find out that you skipped class. Again. It would be the third time this week and it's only Tuesday.”

Their usual routine continues when kai gets a hold of the smaller, picking him up from the ground and throwing him over his shoulder with ease. Because of kyungsoo he works out so much in his free time that he doesn’t even bother with the weight anymore. Kyungsoo is light anyways and doesn’t move unnecessarily. Kai could actually piggyback him but that would be troublesome because getting kyungsoo in the right position takes time that they don't have.

Walking down the halls, kai is very glad that he took kyungsoo's bag and left it in the classroom with his own. Carrying it with kyungsoo's weight on his shoulders would be difficult to balance.

“There the two of you are. Just in time for attendance.”, their math teacher greets them both with a frown on his wrinkled face. He is not surprised or impressed anymore when kai walks into the classroom with his classmate over his shoudler.

“Sorry teacher. It won’t ever happen again.”

“Yeah yeah. Just sit him down already. I want to continue class.”

Sitting Kyungsoo down on his seat is difficult when the said boy is sleeping and completely lax in Kai's hands. Pinching the other in his' side, Kai ignores the wispers from their classmates but it is not easy when the girls gush about the listless boy in his arms and about their close friendship. Shipping them in their group of friends with the name kaisoo or whatever. Ridicoulous but secretly kai likes the name. Combining their nicknames feels like tying their relation so much closer.

Kyungsoo grunts but wakes up finally when the pinching starts to hurt too much. He sits down on his seat in a casual fashion, a little irritated at the change of his surroundings but he smiles gratfully at Kai who just quietly sits down in his own seat.

"Do Kyungsoo I would appreciate it if you could come to class on point. The same goes for you, Kim Jongin. Since this is settled..."

Sighing, Kai looks back at Kungsoo who has already set his head on his arms on the desk in a comfortable position. He looks up at the same time as Kai turns his head and they both make eye contact. Kyungsoo winks before he yawns and closes his eyes again. Shaking his head at the other, Kai can't help but grin.

Kyungsoo allows himself a lot in school but he can with his good grades and all that. Kai might be a little jealous of kyungsoo's intelligence but being friends with the elder, has made Kai's high school life a lot more exciting and fullfilling than he thought it would ever be.