1/4

Butterfly

Junhyung doesn't believe in ghosts, at all, he really doesn't.

He wasn't as terrified as his friends was when they dragged him into the haunted house on Halloween, he even finds those ghost hunting programs ridiculous and a waste of time and when Doojoon asked him if he at least believed in fate or reincarnation, he thought over it for a while before saying it's debatable. Within the second year of his university he decides to move out of his dorm to settle down in a place nearby that was only a ten minute walk away from the station and luckily around the corner of his work place.

It was also the second day of his newly established home that he sees someone standing in the middle of his living room, for a moment, Junhyung had thought that he was just seeing things from surviving on four and a half hours asleep. His fingers dug into the strap of his back pack that slung loosely behind him, the intruder was now crouching in front of the tv looking through the row of dvds.

Junhyung's eyes narrowed into slits. “What are you doing here?”

The figure was startled by the deep tone, almost falling backwards before standing up abruptly, Junhyung watched the other person carefully as he turned around. He figured that whoever this person was looked likely to be around his age, he didn't even seem to be taller than himself. Though, the thing that caught his attention the most was the dilated doe eyes that stared right into him, sending a current of shivers down his spine.

“are – are you talking to me?” he asked softly standing up straighter.

“Well, who else would I be talking to? You still haven't answered my question.”

He looked unsure for a moment, feeling cautious under the intimidating gaze. Junhyung just stood patiently waiting for an answer, he wasn't sure yet if the person in front of him was some kind of burglar or not.

He bit his lip, eyebrows knitting in deep thought “You're not supposed to see me, no one has seen me before.”

Junhyung rolled his eyes, “Why? Are you a ghost?” his patience was slipping.

“Yeah, I actually died here four years ago.”

Really, why don't you prove it then, if you claim so.” Junhyung thought that this 'ghost' would come up with more feeble excuses but instead, what he didn't expect was for the him to walk towards him, specifically walking /through/ his old dingy couch stopping until they were standing face to face.

This time he was taken back. “How do I know that you're not some kind of hologram - from - I don't know a prank. Did Doojoon and Yoseob set you up to this, is there a hidden camera?”

The ghost sighed exasperatedly, “I'm not a hologram, I'm a ghost I just told you. If you don't believe me then you can look me up right now, my name is Jang Hyunseung.”

Junhyung eyed him warily, quickly taking his phone out. He was tempted to call the police or practically anyone to come over right away but decided against it, he did as Hyunseung told him and found a list of news reports regarding his death. He briefly skimmed every one of them, they were all real and the dates of the articles were dated back to four years ago with pictures of Hyunseung in every one of them.

“You really are a ghost then.” Looking up from his phone he found Hyunseung on the other side of the room curiously poking through the unpacked boxes that were still laying around.

“I told you so.” Hyunseung moved on to the bookshelf running his finger across spine of the books “Hey, are you psychic?”

“Psychic?” he repeated.

“You're the only one who've seen me in the past four years, no one else has.”

Junhyung shook his head, “Not at all, uh, is it okay if I ask you a few questions about being a ghost and all?” he still wasn't entirely convinced that Hyunseung was a ghost yet, it was more like this was just a lot to take in when you're exhausted and still in the process of balancing your life out.

Hyunseung faced him again, he looked almost happy. “Sure you can, it's finally nice to actually talk to someone after so long.”

He listened to Hyunseung rant on about his ghost life, Junhyung learned that they were both the same age and he'd mostly spent his four years wandering about aimlessly place to place taking in sights that he never got the chance to see when he was still alive, but Hyunseung was mostly back at the apartment just watching people around him. He could also pass through walls and didn't have to eat or sleep really yet he still slept a lot most of the time.

When Junhyung asked about going back to his family instead of staying here Hyunseung looked mournful, he told him that he couldn't do it. He'd visited his family on his second year of being a ghost and was relieved to see them relatively happy, his parents were doing well and so was his younger sister. Hyunseung was upset to find out that his younger brother had moved out, he had no idea where or what he was doing now.



Junhyung wondered how Hyunseung could go on being in the shadows watching everyone he knew and love grow and pass by.


----


It takes Junhyung two weeks to accept the fact that his unofficial room mate was a ghost, his daily routine still stayed the same. Going off to uni and arriving back home to see Hyunseung lounging around, Junhyung didn't mind the company at all.

Hyunseung still stayed back at the apartment ever since watching Junhyung's movies or was sleeping away on the sofa. Junhyung had asked him that he could come with him to uni once, only because the other had looked bored however hyunseung declined saying he didn't want to distract Junhyung from his studies. He would often keep Junhyung company when he went out to go grocery shopping, only because Junhyung was getting annoyed to see Hyunseung just doing nothing at all.

Other than being imprisoned in the long hours of his lectures, Junhyung would also be at the bar where he worked part time. Hyunseung didn't seem to mind that Junhyung didn't talk much and neither did Junhyung mind listening to Hyunseung chatter on for hours, he'd been isolated for four years after all with no interaction from anyone.

Junhyung particularly found it amusing to hear and answer Hyunseung's weird way of thinking and stories. It was almost like a daily riddle to exercise his brain.


“I loved to sing and dance a lot you know, me and my younger brother would always sing together. Honestly, He wasn't the best dance out there, but he was really passionate in music. Maybe even more than me.”

Junhyung nodded, watching him closely. The duo were both in Junhyung's bedroom sitting side by side with their backs against the wall, his bed was sprawled with open note books and highlighted phrases a long with his laptop to the side. “I'm sure he's doing well out there, hopefully you'll get to see him one day.”

Hyunseung slouched his eyes wandering over to the text book beside him filled with sticky notes, “I hope so too.”

He frowned seeing Hyunseung upset, his body reacted before he could think, Junhyung reached a hand out to him only for it to pass through Hyunseung landing onto the soft material of his duvet beneath him. Right, he forgot that he was a ghost.

Junhyung took his hand back pretending that it didn't happen. Hyunseung didn't notice it at all. “Have you ever thought about moving on?”

“I have countless of times, even though I'm a ghost, the thought of me moving to the next life or whatever is...terrifying. Because I have no idea what will happen to me.”

They sat in silence for a while until Hyunseung spoke up, “I'm sorry for making everything sad and awkward.”

“Don't be sorry, it's better to speak about things that bother you instead of keeping them in.”

“Thank you for listening to me complain and rant a lot then.” He offered Junhyung a small smile before stretching to turn his attention to the posters hung on the wall beside him.

He returned the smile back, Junhyung no longer felt like going back to his essay. Junhyung absently heard Hyunseung saying something about one of his posters and all he could think about was Doojoon's question, do you at least believe in fate or reincarnation?.

 

 


sorry this was so short the next two will be even longer (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑