4/4

Butterfly

Get ready for a really loonngg chapter!! (。’▽’。)



Junhyung didn't know what to expect today. The heavy anxiety stayed at the pit of his stomach ever since Hyunseung asked him how long he would be there for him, the question burned itself into the back of his head taunting him all day long as he tried to keep himself busy at work. He would later leave early to meet up with Hyunseung in hopes they'd catch Dongwoon as soon as they could.


Throughout the whole morning Hyunseung seemed fine, he went on as he usually was as if nothing happened yesterday but they both knew better than that. Junhyung dropped his things back at his apartment before getting in a taxi with Hyunseung. Dongwoon’s drivers’ license clattered against his phone as the vehicle rumbled on, the worry of not knowing what will happen when they got there left a bad after taste in his mouth.

Beside him Hyunseung was lost in his thoughts, elbow resting against the windowsill with his chin in the palm of his hand. He had no idea how Hyunseung was taking this on his end on a closer look he saw the way Hyunseungs fingers would splay and fiddle with the material of the car seat. Junhyung silently laid his hand on top, his fingers slipped between giving the hand a small squeeze the gesture was returned all while their hands remained the same through the whole journey.


Their destination came sooner than Junhyung wanted it too; paying off the fare the duo braced themselves outside the building before heading up. Hyunseung paced by his right side as they ventured through the halls looking for the door number, near to the end Junhyung came to a stop looking at the driver’s license in his hand before looking up again to confirm it was right.

“Ready?”

The ghost nodded eyes pierced at the door. Junhyung rung the bell waiting for the tell tale sounds of anyone at the other side, the silence dragged on each waking second until a faint shuffle and the electronic sound of the door came unlocked.


The door opened ajar with Dongwoon appearing in the entrance way, instead of the casual clothes he wore the last time they met Dongwoon was dressed comfortably in a grey hoodie and black sweats. “Um, can I help you?”

“We bumped into each other yesterday and you left your driver’s license behind.”

Receiving the license his almond eyes shot up staring back at Junhyung, “Oh! No wonder you looked familiar, thank you for returning this I was already dreading the thought of having to wait for my new one to arrive – please come in so I can thank you properly.” Dongwoon ushered Junhyung in first before shutting the door behind him.

“Make yourself comfortable I'll be right back.” Frantically heading into the kitchen, Junhyung was left awkwardly standing in the living room. Hyunseung walked as if he was stepping on eggshells, the living room was quite spacious in the cream coloured room, an empty coffee cup was on the table beside thick textbooks and a notepad. Junhyung followed taking a seat on one of the sofa's, he secretly gave Dongwoon points for his interior being aesthetically pleasing, from the kitchen echoed the sound of glasses clinking and cabinet doors being open and shut.

Hyunseung seemed to be more attracted to large glass door “Hey Junhyung, the view from the balcony is better than yours. In fact this whole apartment is.”

Junhyung grumbled how he didn't really care but he was a tiny bit jealous how the whole place was compared to his. Hyunseung moved on to the shelves that were occupied with photos of family and close friends, his finger danced across the frames of happy faces until he stopped at the second to last frame. Hyunseung carefully picked it up taking a closer a look.

“Hyun-”

“Is there anything particular that you want to drink or eat?”

Junhyung nervously looked back to face Dongwoon peaking from the kitchen doorway, “If you have coke that would be fine.” he honestly hoped that Dongwoon didn't catch a glimpse of one of his photo frames floating in the air.

Dongwoon returned into the living room handing over a can of coke before plopping down on the spare couch to the side. Hyunseung came back to sit beside Junhyung watching the other savour the cold fizzy drink, he could almost see the hearts and spinning flowers surrounding Junhyung. Pausing midway Junhyung glared at ghost beside him blatantly laughing at him.

“Is there something wrong?”

Junhyung tore away, flustered from what he was doing before. “It’s nothing.” The ghost beside him grinned nonetheless.

“Thank you again for returning my license, I overslept yesterday and I barely made it in time for my afternoon lecture.”

“It was no problem, my co worker Kikwang mentioned that you work part time at the same uni we go to.”

Dongwoon perked up in his seat, “ah – you know Kikwang hyung too?”

“He works at the same place as me; I've also known him since forever.” He laid the half empty can on the table. “He also mentioned that you're in the year below us.”

Hyunseung nudged his side slightly, reminding him the sole reason of why they were there in the first place. “And, uh, Kikwang also said you have a step sister I think?”

“Yeah I do.” Taking a pillow from behind him he placed it on his lap. “I'm the youngest in my family, when my mum remarried I chose to keep my last name. Along with my stepdad came my older sister and brother.”

Junhyung felt Hyunseung jolt beside him.

“Well I had an older step brother.” His eyes casted down to the pillow on his lap, the cheerful demeanour from before faded away.

“Had?”

“My step brother – even if we weren't blood related to me it felt like it was. He passed away about four years ago.”

“I'm sorry to hear about that.” Hyunseung’s fingers dug into the sofa. Desperately wishing to gather Dongwoon in his arms and spill every apology and regret that's been running on a loop in his mind every second.

“Don't be. I just miss him a lot you know, there was a lot left unsaid before he died.”

Junhyung watched Dongwoon fiddle with the pillow in his hands he looked a lot like a lost five year old vulnerable to the world around him. “What was your brother’s name?”

He sat up straighter the ends of his lips pulling up into a small smile.

“Jang Hyunseung.” The ghost mirrored the smile; he knew well enough that his brother was close to crying between the two of them Dongwoon was always soft hearted. “I don't think you mentioned your name yet.”

“Oh right, I'm Yong Junhyung I'm an 89 liner I also attend the same uni as you but I mostly hang around the music department.”

“Really? You're my hyung then, Hyunseung Hyung is the same age as you too!”

“There’s also another reason why I'm here.” Junhyung could sense Hyunseung getting anxious again, “to get straight to the point I know about your step brother.”

His eyebrows scrunched up, Junhyung already knew about Hyunseung? Dongwoon hadn't recall of ever seeing Junhyung before until bumping into him yesterday. “What do you mean by that?”

“You said Hyunseung passed away four years ago, and by passed away by chance do you mean he got murdered?”

Dongwoon stared; He then took a sharp intake of breath, “H-how did-”

“The place he was murdered is where I currently live. The landlord told me about it before I moved in.” Junhyung couldn't straight up tell Dongwoon that his dead brother surprised him when he first moved in and now they oddly co-exist together as roommates.

“Wow, I guess it really is a small world.” he chuckled bitterly merging into his seat. “Was that all he mentioned?”

“Yes.”

The room fell silent. The heavy atmosphere pressured down on Junhyung as Dongwoon contemplated in silence. Hyunseung's feet shifted anxiously beside him, he didn't know what to say or do next.

He began to reminisce when he was introduced to his new father and siblings, the long winding road trips they had together during holidays, their childish arguments that lasted barely two hours, seeing his siblings waiting for him at the end of his first day of being in middle school. All those memories rolled on like a silent film behind his eye lids, he cherished those moments sincerely.

Dongwoon snapped out of his thoughts realising he had blanked out for a moment. “I'm sorry about that I just kind of spaced out there for a moment, I guess I should tell you about Hyunseung hyung.”

“You don't have to force yourself to tell me about it.” The last thing Junhyung wanted was to make Hyunseung's brother anymore distressed as he was right now judging by the fact that both brothers seem to be in the same boat.

“No, it's okay. You deserve to know the full story since you live there and – like I said before there is some stuff that should’ve been said and I feel like this is my chance to get if off my chest.”

Junhyung stared at Dongwoon sitting across him after confirming that the other was confident in that he wanted to do this he reclined back letting him take his time.

“Like I said before my mum remarried when I was six, Hyunseung hyung at that time was a two years older while Geurim noona was a year older than me. It was just us five all together.” His eyes traced to the black framed photo sitting on the shelf just behind Junhyung. “We were close, the three of us. We were almost always together doing everything and nothing, my mum especially found it endearing she couldn't stop taking pictures I swear.” Dongwoon laughed at the memory.

“But time waits for no man. Seasons change and we all had to grow up sometime, and it all started to change when I met him.”

Junhyung tilted his head questioningly, “Him?”

“Seung-hyun hyung, he was the same age as Hyunseung hyung. He’s also part of the art club that I attended. Seung-hyun hyung was very kind; he's one of the most honest people I've ever met. He'd go out of his way to help anyone putting them first before himself, it also helped that he was quirky despite looking intimidating most of the time he's actually just really soft hearted.” His right hand combed over his unruly hair, even though he looked foreign and older Junhyung still had a hard time believing he was younger than him.

“It was just after midterms when Seung-hyun hyung wanted to treat me to bubble tea as a celebration, we were on our way to the place he visited when we met Hyung halfway. I forgot that we were supposed to go grocery shopping together after school, Seung-hyun hyung insisted on helping us with shopping then buying bubble tea for us afterwards. That was the first time they've met each other.”

“It didn't surprise me that they instantly clicked, before I knew it hyung and Seung-hyun hyung became best friends. I was a little upset when hyung began hanging around with him more often but I was happy to know that he made a friend, then things started to change; soon they both graduated and were off to college. Even though mum and dad knew Seung-hyun hyung well they weren't keen on letting hyung move so far away.”

“Why was that?”

Dongwoon let out a small smile “You know how mothers are like, fussing over small things and all. Mum wasn't ready to let hyung go I guess he was the oldest out of the three of us. And honestly Hyunseung hyung is kind of a...scatter brain.” he chuckled to himself “so it was a big step for him and all of us not to mention it was worrying too. It was a small disagreement that somehow managed to blow up too fast; there was a lot of shouting and hurtful words being thrown around. Then for the next few days hyung and my parents weren't talking to each other, both of them refused to even look at the other in the eye. I and Geurim noona had to be mediators for a while.”

Hyunseung had opted from looking at his brother to his pale palms on his lap, he clearly remembered everything that happened as Dongwoon cited. He knew that it was hard on Dongwoon and Geurim and his parents especially yet he refused to acknowledge that at all he selfishly put himself first without a thought.

“Then one night, I went into hyung's room to try to talk things out with him again and I found him packing his bags. He was getting ready to leave already, apparently Seung-hyun hyung already has his own apartment and hyung was going to live with him.” His long fringe hid away his eyes. “I – I couldn't believe it. He was really doing this, for a split second I thought to myself that this isn't the hyung I know. I didn't mean to but I got angry when I saw the clothes spilling out of his gym bag, I -” Dongwoon’s breath stuttered as he inhaled “hyung was ready to leave me, ready to leave his family behind without a thought. How could hyung leave me just like that?”

Hot tears streamed down his face, Hyunseung didn't bother to wipe them away. Dongwoon’s words tattooed themselves onto his heart.

“I intended to persuade hyung to not do this but instead I yelled at him, I told him that he was selfish, stupid, and childish. Throwing everything away just to be with Seung-hyun hyung, I had no problem and neither did noona or my parents do with the fact that they were boyfriends but hyung was just barely eighteen.” The material of his hoodie harshly wiped away his tears leaving behind angry red marks around his eyes. “I finally told him to just leave and I wished that he never came back. Hyung said he was happy to do so and he just left like that. I didn't stop him but I wish I did.”

Junhyung swallowed the dry lump in his throat feeling empathy for Dongwoon, “D-Did Hyunseung ever try to contact you back?”

“No. No one heard a word from him for almost a year, his phone number and Seung-hyun hyungs couldn't be reached. It was as if they completely fell off the grid, it was devastating to see my parents endlessly doing everything they can just to find him. When we were on our last legs of hoping to find any clues on their whereabouts Geurim noona called us from the living room, the news was on going on about a recent murder that happened. I desperately hoped and begged it wasn't who I think it was – but my nightmare came true. It was Hyunseung hyung.” Dongwoon’s voice broke into a whisper, he was crying again. Eyebrows scrunched together as his face painted despair. “Later on we found out that Seung-hyun hyung did it, while they were living together he became abusive – he grew jealous and possessive with hyung and when it got out of hand h-hyung he tried to leave him but-” he hiccupped before hiding his tears into the crook of his arm.

Junhyung already had a good idea of what happened. He felt his heart squeeze watching Dongwoon fall apart, he could feel his own tears threatening to escape. Hyunseung was no better than Dongwoon; his face hidden in his hands trying to suppress his own sobs both brothers in pain.

The collar of Hyunseung's shirt shifted. Junhyung thought someone had punched the air out of him. Just above the collarbone was a discoloured bruise peaking from beneath. He'd accidentally seen a larger patch spread on Hyunseung's waist that almost resembled finger prints before and forced himself to not ask about it only when Hyunseung was ready to yet Dongwoon had proved his worst worries right.

He snapped out of it when he realised something was wrong. Dongwoon began struggling to breathe properly, his left hand dug into his shirt as his back hunched forward. He was hyperventilating. Junhyung shot forward grasping onto him up close he could see the sweat beginning to matt his hair, mouth open gasping for more hair. “Dongwoon, stay with me. I got you okay.” Dongwoon's throat became dry making it difficult to swallow. “Listen to my voice and hold your breath with me, that's it now breathe out. In and out. You're doing well.”

It took a couple of minutes until he felt sure that he was fine, Junhyung remained in front of him overlooking his composure. “th-thank you. I'm sorry I just – it doesn’t-”

“Don't be sorry about it, when my brother was younger he used to have panic attacks too.”

“Ah I feel embarrassed now, I’m pretty sure I look like a giant mess.” Junhyung spotted the box of tissues on the table, he handed them over to Dongwoon to which he accepted greatly.

“Don’t be, I've seen worse.”

Dongwoon laughed into his tissue at Junhyung's comment in return Junhyung smiled. His smile was almost like Hyunseung's.

“Do you want me to get you anything to drink?” confirming that Dongwoon was fine he got up looking ahead to the kitchen.

He shook his head almost frantically. “No I’m fine hyung – ah.” He caught himself off guard “Is it okay for me to call you hyung?”

“Of course it is.” his eyes softened seeing Dongwoon grin broadly once more at him.

Junhyung sat back on the sofa as the other dug out another handful of tissues to blow his nose into.

“Junhyung.”

He almost leapt in the air until remembering that the voice was Hyunseung. The ghost beside him looked fatigued, his eyelids swollen from crying and he had dry tear marks cemented across his cheekbones. “Thank you.” Junhyung brought his hand over Hyunseungs tugging him closer to his side; he felt the soft strands of raven hair brush his right cheek. He felt like carrying Hyunseung home and tucking him back in bed.

Junhyung listened to Hyunseung's slow breathing closely; Hyunseung was emotionally and mentally drained.

“Hey Dongwoon.”

He sniffed before scrunching the ball of tissue in his hand. “Yes hyung?”

“You mentioned at the beginning that there was a lot left unsaid, what were they.”

“I'm…not sure on putting them into words.” Dongwoon scratched the back of his neck thoughtfully.

Junhyung squeezed Hyunseungs hand. “Say, let's pretend that Hyunseung was here right now with us.” At the mention of his name he sat up straight eyes wide staring at Junhyung. “What would you say to him, like say what’s been going on for you until now for instance.”

“Okay, um.” He fiddled with sleeves thinking on what he should say “Hyunseung hyung, I – at the moment I'm in my second year of uni on scholarship actually. I moved out of mums and dads place as soon as I started uni, noona helped me a lot with everything she even dragged me to go shopping while nagging at me on all the essentials that every student should need. It was a hassle but really I'm really grateful for her helping me all the time.” Dongwoon gazed at the laminated floor beneath his slippers, “Hyunseung hyung.” His voice fell quiet “I really miss you a lot hyung. I really do. I wish you were here right now, mum finally stopped blaming herself and she started smiling genuinely again. Dad is still the same with his ridiculous jokes he recently adopted a puppy he named him Jangten just like your nickname.” He laughed a little, when Hyunseung was ten he ran around the house announcing that his name was now Jangten to his parents. “Noona moved out too, she’s been living with her boyfriend for a while now. He's a nice person I'm sure you would’ve got along with him.”

“Hyung, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say all those things last night and I especially didn't mean it when I said I wish you'd never come back – I wish I had stopped you instead of letting you go. I was never mad at you, I could never be mad at you hyung I hope you aren't mad at me. I just want you back.” His shoulders trembled Dongwoon could feel his tears starting up again a long with the throbbing pain in his heart.

“Dongwoon, I reassure you that your hyung could never be mad at you also.” Hyunseung hid his face into Junhyung's shoulder. He was never even mad at Dongwoon and never could be. “From what you told me, it sounds like your hyung sincerely does care and love you.”


“Do y-you really think so?” he sniffled loudly.

Hyunseung moved his face away from Junhyung's shoulder, tear tracks still visible on his face. with his free hand he rubbed his right eye. “Junhyung please repeat what I say to woonie.”

“Hyunseung hyung truly is happy, just like any other hyung he wishes you the best earnestly no matter what happens. I'm positive that he would never take your words to heart and hearing you say that you don't hold a grudge against him makes him feel better even though things had ended wrong, if there was anything that your hyung would have wanted it'll be for you to take care of yourself and your noona and parents too of course. He'll always love you unconditionally and be there for you even when he isn't here on earth anymore.”

Dongwoon did a double take at Junhyung's words, staring wide eyed. For a split second he thought he’d saw his hyung sitting right next to the other. He laughed a little at his own imagination, “You know Junhyung hyung you really did sound like Hyunseung hyung there.”

“Really? Then I'm sure this is what he would’ve wanted to say to you.” Glancing over his shoulder he watched the ghost next him smile at younger brother with teary eyes.

“Hyung, thank you for listening to me. I'm sure that you probably had other things to do but – I'm just really happy that I finally got to talk about this to someone I feel like all the stress that's been weighing me down got lifted from my shoulders.”

The clock hanging on the wall absently ticked by, he'd been in Dongwoon's apartment for almost an hour and a half. Junhyung stood up letting go of Hyunseungs hand knowing he should head back soon. “It’s fine and I finished everything I had to do before heading here. I'm just happy to know that I've helped you out.”

Dongwoon stood up too walking Junhyung to the door, “Hyung is it okay if we swapped numbers?”

“Sure.” after exchanging number's Junhyung had told Dongwoon to come over to the bar that he worked at with Kikwang to meet his two other friends and he may have slipped in the fact that he would give him half priced drinks which Hyunseung nagged at Junhyung for.

“Thank you for today hyung, I'll drop by at the bar on Wednesday.” Junhyung nodded leaving Dongwoon with a smile walking down the hall. He looked beside him to check on Hyunseung, the ghost was found rooted in front of the door staring ahead.

“Hyunseung, you okay?”

Snapping at out of it he found Junhyung down the hall looking at him with concern written all over his face, Hyunseung looked back at the door before genuinely smiling back.

“Yes, I am.”


----


Hyunseung didn't really remember the journey on the way home.

His whole day was entirely overwhelming; he finally saw his younger brother and he couldn't be happier yet relieved to find out that he was doing just fine. The sun light spilled through the blinds leaving its mark on the floor boards, Hyunseung was lying on his back staring up at the white ceiling. He hadn't felt so happy yet exhausted in a long time.

The soft sound of padded footsteps approached the room until the desk chair groaned loudly at the sudden weight.

“I'm tired.”

“Well what you expect, you've been crying all day.”

Hyunseung sat himself up stretching his legs before letting out a yawn, for some reason he'd reminded Hyunseung of the one of the cats that lived on the same floor. “I know, I also got a headache too but it doesn't matter because I feel happier now and lighter too.”

“That’s good, better than two days ago right?”

Hyunseung nodded, he really did feel better. Junhyung smiled at him right before he swivelled over to his desk, neatly piling his notebooks to the side then plopping highlighters and scattered pens into a metal pen holder next to a small Pikachu figure. (Hyunseung had made fun of him for having multiple figures with different expressions while Junhyung defended they’re collectibles.)

Hyunseung continued watching Junhyung tidy his desk up. “I don't think I've told you before but you really do look like someone I knew.”

He turned around “Someone as handsome as me?”

Hyunseung rolled his eyes, “Don't flatter yourself but when I first saw you, you looked a lot like my childhood friend Jaesoon.”

“Jaesoon?” Junhyung was back to facing Hyunseung giving his full attention.

“Yeah, we were really close until he passed away when I was twelve. I actually thought you were him when I first say you but you're not. Compared to him you're more like a grumpy old man.”

Junhyung scoffed and Hyunseung laughed a little as he relaxed on the bed, his eyes travelled towards the Polaroid pictures hung on the wall next to the desk. Majority of the people Hyunseung had realised where Junhyung's friends he had saw at the bar, “Junhyung, do you believe in reincarnation?”

He was startled for a second, Doojoon's similar question echoed in his mind. “Well, I Kind of do. Say, if you were to be reincarnated what would you be?”

“Either a cat or a bird being a human is too much effort.”

Junhyung laughed which contagiously got Hyunseung laughing too; his own laughter slowly subsided as he watched Hyunseung collapse onto his side. An arm wrapped around his stomach whilst a stream of laughter poured out into the room, it sounded musical to Junhyung's ears. He lay on his side letting his breathing catch up after his fit of laughter, “What about you? What do you want to be if you were reincarnated?”

Honestly he wasn't sure if reincarnation existed or not but he knew one thing that he was sure about. “I want to be reincarnated as a human again.”

“that's boring, out of everything you want to be a human again? Why's that?”

“To meet you.”

Hyunseung slowly sat up, “Meet me?” he asked. Junhyung smiled seeing Hyunseung's cheeks colour pink.

“Yes you, if I was reincarnated I'd love to meet you again in the next life.”

He stared down at the carpeted floor, “You don't really mean that.”

“But I really do mean that. I want to meet you again in the next life where both of us are alive together.” Junhyung couldn't help the grin spreading across his face seeing the ghost on his bed being flustered all of a sudden however Junhyung truly did mean what he said and he hoped that whoever was up there beyond the clouds would grant his wish.

“Hey don't start crying on me again, I won’t be surprised if I found you all wrinkly and shrivelled up from crying so much.”

Hyunseung scoffed, “Shut up that won't happen.” he chuckled blinking back the fresh tears once again, he could feel his face burning up form what Junhyung said. The raw honesty in Junhyung's voice made his heart skip. “I...I hope I'll meet you again in the next life too.” shyly looking up again he met Junhyung's gentle smile instead of the usual snide smirk he would always put on.

“I’m sleepy now.” rubbing his right eye, he ignored Junhyung nagging at him You shouldn't rub your eyes after crying so much you're gonna irritate your eyes. Taking his hand away Hyunseung stared at his palm, was he always this pale? He looked at the back of his hand then back at his palm again. He'd always thought his skin was fair, but then Hyunseung compared both of his hands realising that they really were awfully pale.

“Is there something wrong?” Junhyung watched Hyunseung compare his hands and arms.

“Hey, was I always this pale? Or am I just imagining things?”

“I think you're just really tired Hyunseung maybe you should nap.” he would've normally shrugged it off, but something yelled at him that there was something wrong. Junhyung strode forward sitting next to Hyunseung.

“Wait, give me your hand.” Hyunseung let Junhyung hold his left hand comparing them to his own, Hyunseung felt cold. “You’re right I think – you're getting lighter.”

They stared closely at their hands together until Hyunseung gasped. “J-Junhyung. Look I'm-” his left hand slowly became lighter and lighter, Junhyung looked up and he feared the worst.

Hyunseung was gradually becoming transparent.

“Junhyung, I think its happening. I'm – I'm moving on.”

Junhyung felt as if his heart and mind were running a mile a second. The day really did come and Hyunseung was moving on, Hyunseung was going he was leaving all too soon. He knew it would eventually happen one day but he never dared to imagine how or when instead he'd block those thoughts away knowing they’d eat him up until he was nothing. A part of Junhyung almost selfishly wished that they hadn't decided to meet Dongwoon today, perhaps if they delayed it Hyunseung would stay a little longer with him. Hyunseung would greet him home after classes and mope around his apartment, Hyunseung would tell him one of his ridiculous life stories or wake him up around four in the morning just to show him that the neighbourhood cats were fighting again. Hyunseung would tell him off for staying up so late instead of sleeping.

He almost jumped back when a cold hand cupped the side of his face; a thumb gently swiped his tears away. Junhyung didn’t know he was crying nor was Hyunseung until they both met eye to eye.

“Junhyung, thank you for everything.”

The knife in his heart twisted even more, he wasn't in the position to talk knowing he'd break down even more the second he opened his mouth. So Junhyung nodded slightly leaning into Hyunseung's hand.

“I need you to do one more favour for me, at the corner of your room under the wardrobe. If you pull the carpet back a bit you'll find my phone. Please give it to woonie, there's a message there for him that I was meant to say to him.”

He nodded again, Junhyung could barely feel Hyunseung's hand.

“w-wait for me in the next life, I'll find you I promise.”

Hyunseung sniffled slipping his left hand from Junhyung's, he held Junhyung's face in his hand taking in Junhyung's face one more time before smiling at him once again, “I'll see you again, okay?”

Junhyung's heart wrenched in pain, he didn't want to let him go. “I love you Hyunseung.”

“I love you too.”

Hyunseung leaned in as Junhyung closed his eyes; soft faint lips were pressed against his forehead and lips and then nothing. The silence in his room was deafening. He slowly opened his eyes finding himself alone, his tears continued to stream down his face it felt as if everything was a dream and that Hyunseung was never here in the first place, Junhyung was alone.

A sharp glint caught his attention in the corner of his eyes, the stray light reflecting the silver lighter on the floor. The lighter with a butterfly on it. Then Junhyung broke down again.


----


His phone vibrated on the table wanting his attention. Dongwoon picked the phone up barely reading the notification on his screen; he bolted towards the door swinging it open. “Hyung!”

Junhyung smiled at his cheerful greeting, “Sorry for coming over on such late notice.”

“Don't worry about it hyung, what was it that you wanted to give me.”

Dongwoon ignored the pack of cigarettes peaking from the top pocket until his attention was drawn towards the familiar the phone being handed to him. “This – This is-”

“It's Hyunseung's right and now it's yours.”

He took the phone in his hands so carefully that he was scared that if he even breathed on it the phone would become dust in an instant. Dongwoon was speechless; he looked up at Junhyung with wide eyes.

“I have to go but I'll see you tomorrow right?”

Dongwoon nodded still in awe to have Hyunseung's phone. Junhyung bid his goodbye and Dongwoon saw him disappear down the hall his right hand clutching a silver lighter. Bringing himself back to reality he shut the door behind him still not believing that he had his hyungs phone right now after four long years, this phone was the only trace of Hyunseung.

He sat himself on the sofa his hand trembling nervously as he switched the phone on, the screen came alive, and Dongwoon had to choke back his tears. The lock screen was Hyunseung grinning embarrassingly at the camera with Seung-hyun’s arm around him pressing a kiss against Hyunseung's temple, Dongwoon smiled a little while staring at the picture before entering the pass code. He knew his hyung wasn't good at remembering long passwords but he did thankfully know his pass code for the phone.

The home screen came up with all the apps appearing, Dongwoon skimmed through Hyunseung's photo smiling at all the happy memories coming back alive to him dated back to Dongwoon's first day of high school to the last family trip they had at the beach with Seung-hyun tagging along. Then Dongwoon scrolled through the messages until he spotted there was only one message that was kept in draft.

As soon as he opened the message Dongwoon felt himself crumble.

To: Woonie

Happy belated 15th birthday, soon you'll be graduating and off to uni. Don't grow up too fast okay? You’re already tall enough you know. Your hyung will always be here for you and always will be no matter what stupid hurtful things I might have said and if I ever hurt you without knowing I'm truthfully sorry. But please remember that I'm always proud of you and I'll be here no matter how far the distance is between us whether it is between the North Pole and South Pole or from Mars to Pluto.


I’ll love you always and forever.




 

 





 

 

 



“Junhyung!”

“Junhyung.”

Junnie, wake up.”

He opened his eyes blinking wearily, sitting up he slowly came back to his senses. “Doojoon came back with dinner lets go before everything gets devoured.”

Junhyung nodded, he vaguely remembered what he had dreamed about there was something about a himself working in a bar and a ghost? He could barely comprehend it all.

“Hey, are you okay?” Hyunseung asked worryingly as he watched his face scrunch up in confusion, Junhyung smiled slyly before stealing a kiss from the other. “I am now.”

Hyunseung pretended to be disgusted but the tip of his ears said otherwise. “Your breath stinks, come we need to go eat dinner.”

Junhyung took Hyunseung's hand in his indulging himself in Hyunseungs embarrassment, “But you love my stinky breath right?”

“Don’t be gross, let's go smelly.” He followed Hyunseung out the room smiling to himself shutting the door behind him. The vibration of the door had the desk shake a little in response; a small thud resonated in the room where a silver lighter with a butterfly on it had dropped on the floor.

 

 


If you're reading this then I'd like to thank you for reading to the very end!! And I hope the long wait of this last chapter has brought this fic justice, I've been wanting to write a Junseung ghost au for a looong time and I really enjoyed writing single word (●´□`)♡

to summarize things, Junhyung isn't the reincarnation of Jaesoon at the end where Junhyung wakes up his dream (aka everything that happened) is actually real it was a memory of his past life and him waking up is the next life where he and Hyunseung are both alive and together on the same time line.