Author's note

Chaeyeong, be good

Congrats, you have made it to the end of this 10k word fic! No, this is not part of the official story, but I just wanted to leave a few comments and thoughts I've had during and after writing Chae's little story. Think of it as the "Bts" of a film (behind-the-scenes...see what I did there? ha ha, ha...okay I'll stopT.T).

Plot

The story may sound familar because the setting, political tension, and especially the Revolution itself is all inspired by the book Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. If you've been forced to read the book for english class like I have, then you may remember the scene from the book where the Marquis runs over a peasant with his carriage, then promptly pretends like nothing happened (even making a point to show concern for the horse drawing the carriage, instead of the peasant). Well the underlying main idea from that scene inspired the part when Chae was blamed for stealing the bread and 'adopted' as Marquis Moreau's daughter. So in the story, the aristocrats were wasting the food and so, starving Suga sees this so he takes it out of the trash. Obviously, he isn't directly commiting any crime, and it shouldn't matter because the food had become trash anyways. So why the witch hunt for a thief? The aristocrats know that a peasant had been rumbling through and they used this opportunity to cause a ruckus. Even if its garbage, it's the aristocrat's garbage and, in their minds, shouldn't be touched by things lower than garbage. It was a way of establishing their dominance; to remind the poor who ruled France. In her jealousy, Minah turns in our main heroine to the guards who work for the Marquis (I have nothing against Minah, she was just randomly chosen as a childhood friend). From here Chae ends up as the Marquis' adopted daughter and lives in his mansion/palace/whatever rich people lived in during that time period. She serves no other purpose than to once again show the Marquis' status and power. When the guests come over to the Marquis' house, Chae's always expected to come to to the parlor and entertain the guests. The Marquis want people to see her as another accessory that makes them say, "Wow, this guy has everything. Even a perfect daughter who matches all his other possessions." That's another reason why none of the guests ever actually try to touch Chae. In their eyes she's meant as a perfect doll who's unattainable by human standards. The Marquis' late wife was also put in a similar position as Chaeyeong. The details of her death aren't included partly because I was too lazy lol, but mostly because they weren't necessary. She literally could have done nothing wrong, just as Chae had done, but would have been punished all the same. Men as sick in the head as the Marquis don't need a legitimate reason to dispose of one of their toys. Who's to stop him anyways? Not the King, who fully supports him as a fellow aristocrat as well as a friend, and certainly not the powerless proletariots. You see the problem right? Only the rich can do anything, including leech off all the hardwork of the farmers and workers. In fact, that's exactly what the King was doing. The scene where Chae and the Marquis head to the palace was meant to be used to address the growing tension between the two classes, as well as a potential revolution (which had ironically already begun to the ignorant King). However, much like any other aritocrat meetings, too much wine and food were consumed before any work got done. In the garden scene, Suga is reunited with Chae for the last time. He confesses his feelings for her, but is killed by palace guards who realized that the palace had been inflitrated. Suga originally joined the Jacobins who had designed the 'ambush', hence why V realized who Suga was when Chae was retelling him her story. Very tragic ending for her childhood best friend, if you ask me. The fic is concluded on the morning of Chae's execution when V comes to take her to La Guillotine. He feels a strong sense of regret and remorse seeing her come to such an unjust death. At the same time, he knows he's powerless to stop the madness that had resulted from an unorganized rebellion. Everything had gotten too out of hand, and Chaeyeong accepts her fate, even finds relief in the fact that she'll no longer have to see all the ugly things of this world. 

Characters

Chaeyeong- Obviously an original character I made up. I really dislike cliche characters, so I try to make all of my characters different than the three type of heroines you find in kdramas lol. Chae was born a poor orphan just like her two childhood best friends Suga and Minah. She isn't a radical character that fights for justice; not for herself, and especially not for others. Yes, she is human, and sometimes finds that her survival instincts get the best of her (food scene when she steals the bread from Suga). But ultimately she follows the flow of whatever life throws at her. In prison, she doesn't contemplate escape. Death was coming her way, and she was happy to let it happen. However that doesn't make her a mindless bobblehead either. Her views of the revolution show her contempt for the extremities of the violence, and she points out several times how irrational the poor were being. Example is when she tells Taehyung how no problems were actually being solved: the poor were still hungry, France still suffered from debt, and the only result was more bloodshed than ever before. Chae is a smart girl; but she's been told otherwise her entire life. The proletariots were made fun of and looked down upon, leading to low self esteem for many of them. The Marquis continued this notion by treating her as garbage, using her to elevate his own status. Women of nobles were considered 'trophy wives' in which their only jobs were to look lovely and bear children. Who at the time ever thought a girl could think for herself? In the end, Chae led a life full of wasted potential.

Taehyung- In some ways, V could even have contributed to Chae's death due to his association with the Jacobins. He works as a prison guard and personally brought Chae to the Guillotine. Like many others, he is at first blinded by desire to overthrow the King. Only when Chae is standing on the platform does he have a type of 'epiphany'. The revolution had gone too far: there was no longer a set goal. With the King dead, people were blindly being killed left and right. Tae never had these bad intentions when he joined the Jacobins. Now for the real clarifications...did V really love Chae? I don't believe in love at first sight, so if he felt anything, it definitely wasn't genuine love. He knows that a great injustice had been done to Chae, and he pities her for it. If she'd stayed alive long enough, those feelings could've developed into something more, and they could've lived happily ever after. 

Suga and Minah- Two of Chae's childhood friends. Although Minah's betrayal isn't exactly a portrayal of their long friendship, the three of them have looked out for each other as orphans. During the French Revolution, poor children suffered the most. Many ended up becoming orphans from the vast number of deaths by the Guillotine. I don't know the details, but it was difficult for children to get by on their own. Things started getting complicated when Minah developed feelings for Suga, while Suga liked Chae. As a kid, Chae knew there was something more between her and Suga than friendship, but she couldn't quite identify it. Perhaps if she'd been able to find out earlier and confirm her feelings with Suga, they could've lived happily ever after. Who do you guys ship? Yoonyeong or Chaehyung? Also, since I killed Suga off in this fic, I made up for it by writing a short story for him. Please check it out! (shameless self promo lol): http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1139094/art-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder-originalcharacter-suga-btsyoongi

Thank you guys sso much for reading! If you're interested in my other stories, the links are below. I'll be updating lots in 4 days when I finally get back from Europe, so please wait for me^.^

9/16 (Taeyong from Nct+OC): http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1114388/

Someone I used to be (Jungkook+OC): http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1118256/someone-i-used-to-be-army-bts-jungkook-btsjungkook

"Father's Juniper" (Jaehyun from Nct+OC): http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1116224/father-s-juniper-angst-oneshot-originalcharacter-jaehyun-nct-nctjaehyun-nctu