Gardenia

The Crowned Affairs

An elegant “1929” was only written on the simple, white signboard hanging above the black French double-doors of the restaurant. Baekhyun ensured his gelled-up hair was still in place and his suit jacket is straightened out as he caught his reflection on the glass window panels. Glancing at the guards that were with him, Baekhyun instructed them to stay outside the restaurant. The doors to the restaurant opened and revealed a brown-haired man with a young-looking face and a pair of doe-like eyes.

 

“Your Highness, I’m Luhan. Welcome to ‘1929’.” He bowed and gestured Baekhyun to follow him. “Please come with me, Prince Wu has been waiting for you.”

 

With Luhan leading the way, Baekhyun finds himself walking through a beautifully and lavishly decorated place. Coupled with the low lighting, there were several tables laid with cloths and napkins made of fine linen, and vases of fresh flowers sat in the center of every one of them. Baekhyun noticed the restaurant was empty and there was no sight of Prince Wu. The brown-haired man stopped in front of another door at the end of the restaurant. As Luhan opened the door, an outdoor terrace came into sight.

 

There were trees and shrubbery with beautiful lighting dangling from the branches. Tea light candles were scattered on the wooden floor planks, which illuminated the terrace. Long, cream coloured curtains were draped over a large wooden canopy in which a long table stood, covered with a cloth that matched the curtains. A small vase that contained a bunch of white flowers was in the center of the table, they gave off a nice fragrance. Baekhyun could hear soft, classical music playing in the background when he made his way to the table. A man in white suit was sitting at the end of the table and Baekhyun was caught off-guard when he realized how stunning he looked.

 

“Prince Baekhyun,” Prince Wu stood up and flashed a bright smile. “Thank you for coming.”

 

“Y-Yes, pleasure to see you.” Baekhyun can only utter a few words after realizing he had been staring blankly at the Crown Prince’s face.

 

Before Baekhyun could even react, Prince Wu had walked over to his side and pulled out the chair, inviting him sit down. In his seat, Baekhyun watched as the Crown Prince exchanged a few words in Chinese with Luhan, and the latter made his way out of the terrace after bowing to the Princes.

 

“Luhan is my classmate back when we were in China,” Prince Wu took his seat and picked up the wine bottle. “And he kindly let us have his restaurant to ourselves tonight.”

 

“Your ex-classmate? He doesn’t look that old though…”

 

“Yes yes, both of us are 24 and we look so different right?” The blonde laughed and reached out to pour some wine into Baekhyun’s glass. “Luhan left China when he was 18 to study here and he eventually settled down and opened this restaurant. You’ve got to try his cooking, I assure you it’s one of the best you’ll ever try, Prince Baekhyun.”

 

“It better do then, I’m holding you to that,” Baekhyun gave a teasing smile as he received the glass from Prince Wu. “Thank you.”

 

Soup was served shortly and the dinner went by with the Princes making small talk. They grew comfortable by the minute and Baekhyun actually felt like he was talking to a friend. He finds out that Prince Wu likes quiet walks by the lake, likes to draw as a hobby and has a habit of running his fingers through his hair. He realises that Prince Wu talks rather animatedly, his large hands making big gestures and sometimes he would laugh out loud, revealing his gums. Baekhyun suddenly remembered the real reason of him agreeing to the dinner.

 

“So, Prince Wu, why did you come to Korea? To discuss the wedding?” The Second Prince took a sip of the wine and took a glimpse of the older to catch his reaction.

 

“What do you think about the wedding then, Prince Baekhyun?”

 

“An utter bull of course, why is an arranged marriage still a thing in the 21st century?”

 

“When we are part of the royalty, we don’t really have a choice, do we?” Prince Wu’s voice sounded resigned.

 

“And you’re just going to let them decide your life like that?” Baekhyun thought of his sister, and how he was prepared to do anything for her. “I’m willing to take Baekhee’s place.”

 

Prince Wu raised an eyebrow, “Well, I’m flattered, but I don’t think my people would be happy to see their Prince marry a 16-year-old boy.”

 

“W-What are you talking about! I’m not talking about marrying you! I was just saying if there’s anything else I can do to not let my sister go to China, I’m willing to do it!” Baekhyun was literally yelling. “And I’m 22!”

 

Prince Wu chuckled at the sight of the flustered Second Prince. “You’re really cute.”

 

What did he just call me? I’m not hearing things, am I? Baekhyun felt his cheeks starting to heat up and his heart pounding faster.

 

“There are things that I need to settle first before I can answer your question, Prince Baekhyun.” The older was staring right into Baekhyun’s eyes and he could sense his sincerity. “Will you wait for me till then?”

 

 

Sunlight pierced into the small shop. Daisies, peonies, marigolds, sunflowers, roses and many different kinds of flowers were arrayed in a somewhat haphazard manner. Some flowers were grown in boxes on the floor, while some were in pots that were hanging on the walls or off the ceilings. The tables were filled with bouquets and baskets of flowers that were arranged beautifully, and they also gave off a pleasant scent.

 

“Correct me if I’m wrong, hyung. Did you get the sequence wrong?” Jongin touched the petals of a stalk of red rose that stood in a vase on the counter.

 

“What are you talking about, Jongin?” Yifan was scanning the shop and admiring the pleasing colours of the flowers.

 

“I mean, aren’t you buying the flowers for the Princess? You’ve already met her this morning, didn’t you?”

 

“Who said the flowers were for her?” Yifan chose a beautifully arranged bouquet of flowers and whispered something to the florist as he handed a note to her.

 

“Not for the Princess? Then who?”

 

“We’re done here, Jongin. Let’s go.” Yifan smiled at a confused Jongin before leading the younger out of the shop.

 

 

It has been a week since the dinner and Baekhyun could not stop thinking about Prince Wu. Although the Crown Prince lived in the Byun Palace, Baekhyun hardly saw him, and even if they did meet, all they do was exchange a few glances. Baekhyun longed to make small talk with Yifan, but wherever they go they were accompanied by guards that made it difficult to chat.  

 

As the Second Prince strolled along the Aurora Lake, he lifted his head to see the once salmon and purple sky has transformed into a vast expanse of jet-black. A canopy of luminous stars materialized amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, but there was an adequate amount of shimmering stars to illuminate the dark, moonless night. The lake glistened, mirroring the dazzling assemblage of glittering stars. Baekhyun shivered from the faint wind that brushed against the water’s surface, in which ripples ruffled the stillness of the surface. Trying to shield himself from the wind, Baekhyun brought up the hood of his grey, oversized hoodie as he started humming the song his mother used to sing to him.

 

“You have a lovely voice, Prince Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun turned to see Prince Wu standing beside him and he had his blonde bangs down covering his forehead messily, which somehow made him look younger. He was only wearing a light denim jacket with black ripped jeans that exposed his knees. It made Baekhyun realised that without the suits and guards, they were just young people who had lost their right to be ordinary ever since they were born.

 

“What was the song you were singing? It has a nice tune.”

 

“I don’t know the title, it’s just a song my mother always sings, when my sister and I were just kids.”

 

“I see, you and your sister must be really close,” Yifan stared straight at the lake. “Is that why you disliked me? Because I was to marry her.”

 

“I- I didn’t dislike you…” Baekhyun was clearly caught off-guard. “Okay, I admit I was at first. But now, things are little different.”

 

“Huh, really?” Baekhyun could feel Yifan’s eyes on him.

 

“S-So where have you been? I haven’t really seen you around even if we live in the same place.” Baekhyun tried to change the subject nervously.

 

“I went sightseeing of course! Korea is such a beautiful place to not wander around.” Yifan hesitated for a few seconds before continuing. “I also had things to be done.”

 

They stay in a comfortable silence for a while, as the chilly winds caressed their faces.

 

“I’m leaving tomorrow, Baekhyun.”

 

“Just like that?” Baekhyun turned to face the taller, whose face cannot help but show a trace of sadness. “T-Then what about my sister?” Baekhyun resisted the urge to say ‘What about me?’.

 

“I’ve met Princess Baekhee and spoken to her,” Prince Wu pushed the bangs out of the younger’s eyes. “I know that she doesn’t have any interest in the marriage.”

 

“Then what about you, Yifan? Do you?” Baekhyun blurted out before he could stop himself. He does not realise that both of them have dropped all formalities.

 

“My heart lies somewhere else.”

 

The distance between them grew closer as Yifan cupped Baekhyun’s face with one hand, pulling him closer. The taller leaned down and their lips met. As Yifan kissed him, Baekhyun felt the world fall away. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. His large hand rested below the younger’s ear, his thumb caressing his cheek as their breaths mingled. The kiss remained gentle for a few seconds, before Yifan added more pressure to their lips, deepening it. Baekhyun felt tears streaming down his cheeks when he thought of leaving the man he loved.

 

“Then why are you leaving?” The tears that Baekhyun had been fighting back fell uncontrollably as Yifan pulled away.

 

“I hate to leave you, but I have to,” Yifan reached out to wipe the tears off Baekhyun’s face. “After all, I don’t belong here.”

 

“Will I get to see you again?”

 

“I promise, I’ll be back.” Yifan gazed at Baekhyun lovingly, his eyes softening with tenderness. “For you.”

 

Yifan pulled Baekhyun closer to him, wrapping his arms around the younger. His embrace was warm, and his big, strong arms seemed very protective when wrapped around Baekhyun’s frail body. The world around him melted away as the younger squeezed the Crown Prince back, not wanting the moment to end.

 

 

Baekhyun felt a pang of emptiness when he entered his room in the Palace. The Crown Prince had left the day before and Baekhyun could still feel Yifan’s lips on his.

 

A maid was in the room, replacing the flowers in a vase with fresh, white ones. Baekhyun walked over to the desk where the vase stood, and a familiar scent engulfed him.

 

“What flowers are these?”

 

“Your Highness, these are gardenia flowers.”

 

“I don’t usually have flowers in my room?”

 

“Your Highness, I was instructed to put fresh ones in your room every day.”

 

“Who did?”

 

“That I am not allowed to say, Your Highness.”

 

As Baekhyun dismissed the maid, he let his fingers touch the petals of the white flowers. Gardenias, signifies purity, refinement and… Secret love.

 

“Yifan…” Baekhyun smiled as he picked up a stalk. “Trust him to do this kind of cheesy stuff.”

 

 

“So it’s true? That Prince of China called off the wedding?” Junmyeon asked Baekhyun as they sat on the bench in Hanyang’s field. An hour ago, Baekhyun had just graduated from the Academy.

 

“Where do you get all your information from? The betrothal was never disclosed to the public, hyung.” Baekhyun was still in his graduation robes. “And what are you doing here?”

 

“I have my sources, it’s good to know many people,” Junmyeon flashed a bright smile. “I came to see the both of you, of course! Why, are you not happy to see me?”

 

“No, that’s not what I meant… The wedding was broken off when both sides came into an agreement, and since the news was never released, we just treated like it never happened.” Baekhyun fiddled with the graduation hat on his laps and he cannot help but think about Yifan, who had already been gone for eight months. They have been relying on Skype calls ever since Yifan went back to China but the latter has stopped replying to his messages two months ago.

 

“Cheer up, Prince! We just graduated, and you are here moping over your boyfriend?”

 

Baekhyun did not even need to look up to know whose voice was. “Shut up, Jongdae.”
 

“Still no news of that Crown Prince?” Jongdae nudged Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun shook his head and let out a heavy sigh.

 

“You really need some relaxation in your life! I mean we are here in our graduation robes and in two hours, you’re going back to the Palace for your hapkido classes?”

 

“I don’t really have a choice.” Baekhyun glanced at the Imperial guards standing outside the Academy. “Wherever I go, they follow.”

 

“Remember those martial arts classes I’ve been telling you? There’s this really good café opposite that serves really great coffee!” Jongdae looked eagerly at Baekhyun. “Screw your hapkido class, let’s go there!”

 

“I only remember you telling me about that hot instructor, Jongdae…”

 

“Hey! I pay attention during class, I can totally win against you.”

 

“Whatever Jongdae, you know that I can’t go anywhere else with those guards watching me 24/7.”

 

Jongdae seemed like he thought of something when his eyes lit up. “Strip!”

 

“What!” Baekhyun and Junmyeon yelled in unison.

 

 

Baekhyun looked down at his red flannel shirt and skinny black jeans. This is so Jongdae, he thought. The both of them actually switched clothes so that Baekhyun could get away in Junmyeon’s car while Jongdae posed as him. Jongdae could really pass off as him in his clothes, complete with a mask and cap (Thanks to your heights, Junmyeon commented). Just as Baekhyun alighted from Junmyeon’s car, his phone vibrated in his pocket. It was a list of messages from Jongdae.

 

From Jongpoop:

All clear. im in the car now.

These guards are really dense!!!

ill be there soon, just wait for me at the cafe!!

Oh crap crap i think they r finding out soon

 

Baekhyun typed a quick ‘okay i got it’ before dialling up the Head Guard’s number.

 

“I’m with my friends now, so don’t worry. I’ll be back for my class later.” Baekhyun switched off his phone before the Head Guard could even reply.

 

Freedom! Well, for just an hour. Now where’s that café? Baekhyun can see the martial arts place that was opposite the street Junmyeon had let him off at, but no sights of the café. Thinking it might be further down the street, Baekhyun started to walk along the pavement, while searching for it.

 

A flower shop caught Baekhyun’s eye, because it looked out of place amongst all the other shops. It had a rustic feel with all the wooden panelled exterior walls and door, while boxes of flowers stood outside. There was a soft tinkling of the wind chime when Baekhyun entered the shop and a pleasant fragrance enveloped him. A blonde-haired man had his back to Baekhyun and was tending to a pot of flowers on the floor.

 

“Welcome!” A low, but familiar voice greeted Baekhyun. The Second Prince could not believe his eyes when that man turned around.

 

“Hey.” Yifan ran his fingers in his hair and smiled, “Long time no see.”

 

 

Yifan opened his arms out for Baekhyun as the younger came crashing into him.

 

“’Hey’?” Yifan’s chest was rained with light punches by the younger. “We haven’t seen each other for 8 months and it’s been 2 months since you replied to my last message and all you say is a ‘hey’?”

 

“I’m sorry for disappearing for a while, Baekhyun.” Yifan made no move to stop the boy, instead he ruffled the younger’s hair. “I missed you.”

 

“What are you doing here? And what’s with this shop? Why didn’t you tell me you came to Korea?” Baekhyun rambled on as he stopped his attacks to look at the taller.

 

“Whoa, relax, I’ll explain to you slowly. I actually bought over this shop when I came to Korea two months ago. Jongin came over with me too, he’s a martial arts instructor now,” Yifan looked around at the flowers arrayed in the shop. “I didn’t tell you because I want this to be a surprise.”

 

“Wait, a martial arts instructor? Did you ask Jongdae to…”

 

“I actually wanted you to find me on your own, but you never came,” Yifan flashed his gummy smile. “I met Jongdae two weeks ago when Jongin told me about this cute student he has, and yes, I got a little help from him.

 

“How am I supposed to know if you never told me,” Yifan found it cute when Baekhyun clenched his fists angrily. “And I’m going to kill Jongdae when I see him.”

 

“Don’t, if it wasn’t for him, you’ll never have found me.”

 

“Then you’re staying here for long…” Baekhyun hesitated, “Or are you going to leave again?”

 

“I sort of gave up being the Crown Prince,” Yifan saw Baekhyun’s eyes widen in shock. “I’m letting my younger brother take my place. So I’m taking a break from being a Prince and staying in Korea for now.”

 

“You could do that? But your brother’s only eight years old…”

 

“Actually I can’t, but I had to. For you.” Yifan’s fingers caressed Baekhyun’s cheeks. “The youngest emperor in China’s history was only two years old. It won’t be long before my brother is old enough to take over the duties of a Crown Prince.”

 

“You and your cheesy lines,” Yifan sees the younger’s cheeks starting to redden. “To think you’ll put those flowers in my room. Gardenias, huh?”

 

“Yes, they signify secret love. Just like us now,” Yifan’s fingers gently ran up and down Baekhyun’s spine, coaxing shivers out of him. With his cheeks still blushing hotly, the younger glanced up into Yifan’s eyes. The taller leaned down, resting his forehead against the shorter’s, warm breath ghosting across the Baekhyun’s face. As Baekhyun shut his eyes, Yifan captured his lips immediately, and he could feel the younger’s body flushing with heat.

 

The kiss obliterated every thought. Yifan felt for the first time, his mind was locked into the present, his worries evaporated like a summer shower onto a hot car. In moments the soft caress has become more firm, their lips moving in perfect sync and the quickening of the younger’s breath that matched his own. A kiss like this was a beginning, a promise of much more to come. When they finally pull apart, Yifan could see Baekhyun’s bright smile which made his heart flutter even more. Yifan does not know if there is a happily ever after for them like the princes in fairy tales but the present is what matters most to him now.

 

“Don’t think you are off the hook for conspiring with Jongdae,” Baekhyun pursed his lips in a pout.

 

“You know you love me.” Yifan smiled and wrapped his arms around the younger’s shoulder.